Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clint Myers resigns at Auburn

Started by Pancetta, August 23, 2017, 10:58:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pancetta

The other shoe drops?  He survives his son abruptly resigning for "personal reasons" and all the rumors and speculation.
He then got an extension and then resigns weeks later? 
Morbid curiosity makes me want to know more.....
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

psycHOGlogist

This is definitely the other shoe dropping. There are rumors - I don't know how credible - that ESPN was doing a piece about the Auburn softball program. Perhaps this was an effort to either stave that off or limit the damage. There is no legit reason to retire now, after all the freshmen have reported (which is going to earn the program a lot of bad blood). I have heard that at least one of their 2018s has decommitted. It's pretty hard in softball - the commits happen so early, and the slots and funds go with them, that this could really shake up some classes.

psycHOGlogist

August 26, 2017, 09:01:21 pm #3 Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:58:02 pm by psycHOGlogist
Yup. It looks reeeealllly bad.

Updated to add: New statement from Auburn over the weekend, basically admits that Corey was fired over this and that Clint's resignation was not voluntary.

U-G-L-Y.

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/softball/auburn-university-issues-new-statement-regarding-espn-softball-report/article_f5be9000-8b73-11e7-be21-d3bf19c097de.html

zane

RIP LSUfan

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Auburn spokeswoman: Athletic director Jay Jacobs' comments about investigation of Corey Myers 'unfortunate'

QuoteAn Auburn athletics spokeswoman claims the school began investigating its softball program last September, but that comments made by athletic director Jay Jacobs in April claiming he was unaware of any such investigation into former associate head softball coach Corey Myers were "unfortunate" and former softball coach Clint Myers' claim in July that he agreed in principle to a three-year contract extension was "categorically false."

Cassie Arner, associate athletic director for strategic communications, confirmed to ESPN that Auburn's softball program is under investigation for the alleged abuse and sexual harassment of players by the coaching staff, as outlined in a July 20 complaint sent from the lawyer of former walk-on pitcher Alexa Nemeth.

Arner claims Auburn's investigation began last September, after players filed anonymous ethics complaints about the alleged behavior of Corey Myers, which led to his two-week leave of absence, and it has "been a continuous process," according to ESPN.

Jacobs' comments to AL.com on April 27, in which he denied knowledge of any investigation into Corey Myers, were "unfortunate" and possibly "misleading," Arner told ESPN.

"There's a big fear of admitting investigations because of what that does to the privacy of some of the people involved," Arner told ESPN. "He (Jacobs) should have just said, 'We don't comment on investigations. Publicly, he was just echoing the statements from when Corey resigned, which does seem misleading."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Auburn University president Steven Leath: @AuburnSoftball program under comprehensive review

QuoteAuburn University president Steven Leath said the school is performing a comprehensive review of its softball program in the wake of allegations of abuse and sexual harassment under coach Clint Myers and associate head coach Corey Myers.

Leath, who became Auburn's president in June, told ESPN the university hired Birmingham law firm Lightfoot, Franklin & White to be involved in the review of the softball program. The law firm did not immediately confirm it had been retained but a university spokesman confirmed there is a review.

"An investigation was launched when concerns were raised about the softball program," an Auburn spokesman told AL.com. "While it's substantially completed and appropriate actions were taken as a result, university officials are determining if any unresolved issues remain."

Calls to Leath's office were not immediately returned on Tuesday.

The review comes after ESPN's report of a Title IX compliant filed by former walk-on pitcher Alexa Nemeth on May 31 claiming, "Coach Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey Myers have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team."

Nemeth's attorney, Martin Greenberg, sent a letter to Leath, athletic director Jay Jacobs and Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey on July 20 further detailing the actions of athletic administrators and members of the coaching staff, including Corey Myers, who resigned on March 30.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

psycHOGlogist

It'll be very interesting to see if a softball scandal -- and it's clear that that's what this is, a scandal involving mistreatment and possible intimidation of players -- can bring down a Power 5 AD. The stink is creeping very close to Jay Jacobs' office on this, and given his "misleading" statement, the failure of the program to conduct a proper investigation last fall, and the officially announced radio silence from the athletic department, it really doesn't look good on The Plains.

jbcarol

James Crepea‏Verified account @JamesCrepea 7h7 hours ago

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs: "I could have been more forthcoming" about softball investigation
http://bit.ly/2vw7hjL

QuoteAuburn athletic director Jay Jacobs says he had to "walk a line" in making changes to the softball coaching staff while respecting student privacy, but also admits he "could have been more forthcoming about the investigation" into former assistant coach Corey Myers when he denied any knowledge of it to AL.com in April.

Jacobs' statement: As you may be aware, there has been a lot of important information in the news about our softball program recently. I take it seriously and I want you to know what took place. It is concerning that recent reporting about our softball program has incorrectly suggested that Auburn University and Auburn Athletics either didn't know about or didn't act on matters of concern in an expeditious manner. I can tell you with certainty that we did and that we will always do what is right for our student-athletes.

First, a little context. Because of the importance of Title IX compliance and the structure and process Auburn has established, we in Athletics defer to those conducting any investigation following a complaint. We cannot, and will not, take action which could be disruptive to or attempt to influence that investigative and decision-making process.

With that said, last Fall we received an anonymous allegation about wrongdoing on the coaching staff. An investigation began and action was taken that ultimately led to changes with the coaching staff because of the factual findings of a fair and thorough investigation.

In support of this, let me make three key points:

Wrongdoing took place by the assistant coach on the softball team and that is why he is no longer part of the staff. Before a decision was announced regarding the head coach, he decided to retire.
    Members of the team asked the athletics department to handle this discreetly. They are young women and I was determined to honor their request for privacy.
    I made the decision to walk a line that involved making changes to the coaching staff while respecting the privacy of those who asked for it. It was not an easy line to walk and that's why I said the things I said and handled it as I did. I'm an Athletics Director and I'm a father. I handled the coaches the way an AD should handle them and I handled the students the way I think a father would want it handled.

To me, this matter has always been about protecting and supporting student-athletes, young women who did not want their names in the news. Of course, there are also policies, procedures, processes and laws we must follow.

It's important to remember that sometimes the length of an investigation is determined by the willingness of those with information to feel comfortable coming forward. We encouraged communication. In the end, we appreciate and applaud all who had the courage to speak up and share their concerns.

During this process, I answered a question about whether there was an investigation under way. I answered that question in a manner that was guarded to the point that made some people question the accuracy of my words. In retrospect, I could have been more forthcoming about the investigation. But, I wanted to live up to the promise I made to the students who asked for confidentiality. I erred on the side of maintaining my promise to these young women.

jbcarol

"We were quarantined in a room for three hours and we weren't allowed to exit except for going to the restroom." http://trib.al/lXCDFIW

Quoteormer Auburn softball player Alexa Nemeth said she felt threatened when the team was "quarantined" for three hours on March 30 and senior women's administrator Meredith Jenkins told players they were risking arrest if they did not delete text messages showing an inappropriate relationship between a player and then-associate head coach Corey Myers.

In the first on-camera interview since her Title IX sexual discrimination complaint alleging "coach Clint Myers knowingly let his son Corey Myers have relations and pursue relations with multiple members of the team," and the 14-page letter from her attorney to Alabama Gov. Kay Ivey, Auburn president Steven Leath and athletic director Jay Jacobs became public in a report from ESPN on Saturday, Nemeth told AL.com she met with athletics administrators prior to the end of the 2017 season to discuss issues inside the program.

An Auburn spokeswoman told ESPN the school's internal investigation began last September after players filed anonymous ethics complaints about the alleged behavior of Corey Myers.

On April 27, Jacobs told AL.com he had no knowledge of any investigation into Corey Myers, who resigned on March 30, citing family reasons.

Auburn, which has not responded to any of AL.com's public records requests related to Corey Myers and the softball program, has retained the Birmingham law firm Lightfoot, Franklin & White...

excerpts from Nemeth's interview included

jbcarol

Father of former Auburn softball player Alexa Nemeth finally responds to Jay Jacobs' statement

QuoteThe father of former Auburn softball player Alexa Nemeth, who filed a Title IX sexual discrimination complaint against former head coach Clint Myers and associate head coach Corey Myers, is accusing athletic director Jay Jacobs of whistleblower retaliation for not responding to her efforts over the past week to be reinstated to the program.

In an email sent Thursday night, Alan Demaske, Nemeth's father, responds to the statement issued by Jacobs earlier Thursday and claims his daughter emailed Jacobs last week and visited his office on Monday, but not received a response.

"She wants to be rightfully reinstated to the team," Demaske writes. "Is this an example of caring for the 'Student Athlete'? Sounds like whisleblower (sic) retaliation to me. ... All she has wanted, and still desires, is the same as all elite athletes - a fair chance on the playing field."

Demaske's response credits the actions of players, who acquired text messages between Corey Myers and a member of the team that purported to show they were engaged in an inappropriate relationship, with the resignation of the former assistant coach.

In an on-camera interview with AL.com on Wednesday, Nemeth said she felt threatened when senior associate athletic director Meredith Jenkins told players on March 30 they were risking arrest if they did not delete the text messages.

"Corey only resigned because players took control of the situation and obtained evidence," Demaske wrote to Jacobs. "Otherwise, he would still be coaching."

GoshenHog

jbcarol

James Crepea‏Verified account @JamesCrepea 22h22 hours ago

Auburn University: Title IX office was "unable to confirm" initial allegations against ex-softball asst Corey Myers
http://bit.ly/2xRV8Co

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: HogNiner12 on September 15, 2017, 11:37:09 pm
And?

Quote"Coach Dean's accomplishments at JMU are remarkable," Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs said in a statement. "He's won consistently at every level throughout his career. He's done it the right way, winning with class and integrity.."

psycHOGlogist

This is a really great hire for Auburn. I'm honestly impressed and a little surprised, both that they could get him out of VA and that he would take the job. I think this will help them keep the recruiting classes together.

Now, is he as good a coach as Myers? Probably not. But he's still a darn good coach.

jbcarol

Mickey Dean 'all about culture' in taking over Auburn softball

QuoteDean immediately discussed with his new team how they'll go about building trust in each other.

In his first meeting with players on Saturday, Auburn's new softball coach laid the groundwork for building a culture for a program in the wake of the departures of Clint Myers amid allegations of abuse and harassment under his watch by his son and former associate head coach Corey Myers.

"It starts with three things with our program; I can tell you that right up front: trust, love and commitment," Dean said on Sunday. "I talked with the team (Saturday) about the trust part and I'm going to have trust them and they're going to have to trust me. That's where it's got to start.

"I told them, when you take a class, you have no grades entering that class. You start at zero. That's what your grade is. Well, for this, we treat have to treat trust the opposite. We have to start at 100 percent. We have to find a way to do that and we will."

Dean, who coached James Madison to a 237-56 record over the last five years, said "the ceiling is unlimited" at Auburn, where he's agreed to a five-year contract worth "about $250,000 a year" in total compensation, according to athletic director Jay Jacobs.

jbcarol

Former Auburn softball coach Clint Myers reprimanded due to son, Corey Myers, while at Arizona State

QuoteFOIA: Clint Myers, who "retired" as Auburn's softball coach in late August amid allegations his son, former assistant coach Corey Myers, had inappropriate relationships with players, was reprimanded during his time as coach at Arizona State for issues involving his son, according to records released to AL.com on Friday.

None of the records released by ASU on Friday in response to a public records request by AL.com make any mention of inappropriate conduct or relationships with players. The 252 pages of documents contain issues relating to Corey Myers working as a volunteer assistant coach without permission, ASU using his graphic design company, allowing his skills academy to use ASU facilities and other NCAA secondary violations during Clint Myers' tenure as head coach.

What Auburn knew regarding the alleged compliance and personnel issues at Arizona State under Clint Myers when it hired him and Corey Myers in 2013 is unclear.

Clint Myers was hired at ASU by then-athletic director Lisa Love and left for Auburn under then-athletic director Steve Patterson, both of whom told ESPN they were not contacted by anyone from Auburn to discuss Clint or Corey Myers before hiring them. Asked if athletic director Jay Jacobs or senior women's administrator Meredith Jenkins spoke to Love or Patterson prior to hiring Clint Myers, Auburn athletics spokeswoman Cassie Arner told AL.com via email, "Auburn Athletics did have contact with multiple officials on Arizona State's compliance and administrative staff."