Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Omaha Paper on the controversial calls behind the plate

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 23, 2012, 12:42:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/06/22/south-carolina-finds-away-to-stay-alive-again/

Friday's win wasn't without controversy, though.

Home plate umpire Perry Costello's strike zone fluctuated all night long, so much so that no one seemed to have it figured out by game's end. ESPN's K-Zone did him no favors, either. Eight total players struck out looking. Arkansas tied a season-high with nine walks — SC's game-tying run and go-ahead run were both walked in with the bases loaded.

And since South Carolina seemed to benefit from the border-line calls late
, the first question that Razorbacks coach Dave Van Horn fielded in the post-game press conference was about the umpiring crew. He wouldn't comment.

"I would love to, but I can't. I'm sorry," Van Horn said.

grayhawg

FaytownHog

Something over there

I just want to know why the hell they always put this guy behind the plate for our big games. He platted for the first SC game too. I hate this idiot.

WizardofhOgZ

And this from BaseballAmerica.com's Aaron Fitt: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/postseason/college-world-series/2012/2613602.html

Home plate umpire Perry Costello's amorphous strike zone had fans of both teams in an uproar on Twitter throughout the game, and his erratic zone became a major storyline in the later innings. Arkansas pitching wound up issuing nine walks, including three more in the seventh inning to force in the winning run. Though Costello also blew a call at the plate that cost South Carolina a run, the Gamecocks issued just two walks, and ESPN's K-Zone technology showed that Price received a few generous third strike calls in the last three innings.

I'll say this.  Had the game been called cleanly, we might still have lost.  You just don't know how things would have played out.  The pity is that neither side will ever know.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

IronHog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on June 23, 2012, 10:17:57 pm
Here is one from an SC fan:

http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2012/6/23/3112171/2012-college-world-series-south-carolina-3-arkansas-2-umpires

SC commended for what?  Standing there with a bat on their shoulders and throwing pitches 6 inches outside?

NCAA sports are clearly rigged..... Arkansas needs to just start cheating big time and try to win a football NC then deal with the fallout later....... works for Auburn and Bama.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

HamHands

Very frustrating to see this happen over and over every season in one sport or the other. Very frustrating. Almost enough to make you lose interest because you always know that Arkansas or any other team that is not the "chosen" team will not get a fair shake.
One day at a time.

Hogfaniam

Dvh could've quoted bp.

Look my players in the eyes.

Nyjmsu

And the infamous fumf.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Danny J

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 23, 2012, 02:58:46 pm
And this from BaseballAmerica.com's Aaron Fitt: http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/college/postseason/college-world-series/2012/2613602.html

Home plate umpire Perry Costello's amorphous strike zone had fans of both teams in an uproar on Twitter throughout the game, and his erratic zone became a major storyline in the later innings. Arkansas pitching wound up issuing nine walks, including three more in the seventh inning to force in the winning run. Though Costello also blew a call at the plate that cost South Carolina a run, the Gamecocks issued just two walks, and ESPN's K-Zone technology showed that Price received a few generous third strike calls in the last three innings.

I'll say this.  Had the game been called cleanly, we might still have lost.  You just don't know how things would have played out.  The pity is that neither side will ever know.
And that is the thing....it would be different if it were equally bad for both teams with the same results. However the results were skewed. USCe was allowed to walk around the pads ALL NIGHT long scoring the tying and winning runs. Then we were only issued 2. Something not right there.

Also...even kyle peterson said in the 5th inning when all the walks really started to affect us that DJ was being squeezed. Notice later on in the 8th and 9th that mike patrick kept referring to the "tight" zone and it was like that all night long. No mike, it was not like that all night long. It wasn't like that when arkansas players were FORCED to swing at garbage pitches on the outside because costello was widening the zone for USCe. It happened over and over so we kept swinging. When that didn't work we saw how he was calling the tight zone for our pitchers so we decided to let the bats sit on the shoulders....that didn't work either.

There is no way around it. We were screwed. It was either incompetence or corruption and both are bad. Since it seems to happen to us in both fball and baseball on a regular basis over the last 3-4 years I seriously doubt we suffer from incompetent coincidences.

Flatline

I just wonder how long our administration is going to take it.  If they do not file an official complaint with the NCAA then they should not have a job.

There is way to much press for this to ignored. 

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: IronHog on June 23, 2012, 11:11:15 pm
Arkansas needs to just start cheating big time and try to win a football NC then deal with the fallout later....... works for Auburn and Bama.

Just win baby.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

gasshog

It was obvious that Baxendale was NOT getting the same benefit of the calls as the SC pitchers were. Same goes for Suggs And Astin.

I am proud of the team. It is a shame when someone other than the players decide the game.

Arthur Dick Ranney

Yes Jeff Long needs to go hard.  As fans we need to keep up with that Perry and his son whenever they are in our state in any shape or form as minor league ump or as a player. We should not give them a minute of peace.

Wahls

Wait, what is the backstory with Perry Costello's son? Who is his son?
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Hawgey-Davidson

Just logged in and glad to see the uproar in the omaha paper over this. Dvh showed class with his post game comments. I did'nt. I emailed the ncaa first thing saturday morning after a night of restlessness over the incompetency of not only perry costello but also the lack of preparedness of the espn crew that called the game. I can only hope that the powers that be(ncaa) read the omaha paper cause i'm sure they wont read or acknowlege my email. Perry costello should never be allowed to umpba game the rest of his natural born life! Little league included!!

urkillnmesmalls

What is it about us that always brings up the bad calls in the big games in every sport?  Seriously.  I've been around the country, and I think we have some of the nicest people you will ever find.  I run into people from all over that will not only say they were surprised by how nice Arkansas was, but that they were almost taken aback by how friendly the people are. 

Yet we always seem to get the short end of the stick.  It starts with announcers who never even know our players' or coaches' names, and it ends with us getting hosed on every big call. 

I could recite at least 5 HORRIBLE calls that were blatant against us just off the top of my head.  I can only remember one that went our in our favor and that was the JJ Meador's catch in the Bama game in what....our first or second SEC season?  Even that one was impossible to see, but I admit that I thought he trapped it.  Can anyone else think of another one that went our way that was blatantly in our favor?  I think I'm a fairly objective person, but it's sort of ridiculous at this point. 

Do we have a disproportionate amount of crazy fans?  Will they never get over the BP hiring, despite the positive press for canning him?  Heck...it even started long before he was here. 

What gives?  I'm as far from a conspiracy theorist as they come, but I swear something is amiss.  Throw out the bad umpiring.  What is the excuse for not even knowing our players and coaches names?  Why no background stories on our players? 

I understand earning respect, but there should be some earned for being one of the final three teams alive in the CWS, but we were treated as an after thought the entire time.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

I think the overall umpiring for the CWS was pretty bad behind the plate.  I saw bad calls both ways.  Surely if we knew the strike zone was being trimmed for us, then why do we call two pitch outs on the very next batter after Bax walks the lead off hitter.  Bax needs every ball allotted and our own coach takes 2 from him.  Bax went down with our help, sad.  And why don't we have the bull pen warm for the first pitch of the game, not when its clear Bax is in trouble.  I mean, this is a do or die game for us.  The Umps I hope are not the best the NCAA has to offer. 

swineology

Quote from: 12247 on June 24, 2012, 10:06:31 pm
I think the overall umpiring for the CWS was pretty bad behind the plate.  I saw bad calls both ways.  Surely if we knew the strike zone was being trimmed for us, then why do we call two pitch outs on the very next batter after Bax walks the lead off hitter.  Bax needs every ball allotted and our own coach takes 2 from him.  Bax went down with our help, sad. And why don't we have the bull pen warm for the first pitch of the game, not when its clear Bax is in trouble.  I mean, this is a do or die game for us.  The Umps I hope are not the best the NCAA has to offer. 
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 24, 2012, 05:28:42 pm
What is it about us that always brings up the bad calls in the big games in every sport?  Seriously.  I've been around the country, and I think we have some of the nicest people you will ever find.  I run into people from all over that will not only say they were surprised by how nice Arkansas was, but that they were almost taken aback by how friendly the people are. 

Yet we always seem to get the short end of the stick.  It starts with announcers who never even know our players' or coaches' names, and it ends with us getting hosed on every big call. 

I could recite at least 5 HORRIBLE calls that were blatant against us just off the top of my head.  I can only remember one that went our in our favor and that was the JJ Meador's catch in the Bama game in what....our first or second SEC season?  Even that one was impossible to see, but I admit that I thought he trapped it.  Can anyone else think of another one that went our way that was blatantly in our favor?  I think I'm a fairly objective person, but it's sort of ridiculous at this point. 

Do we have a disproportionate amount of crazy fans?  Will they never get over the BP hiring, despite the positive press for canning him?  Heck...it even started long before he was here. 

What gives?  I'm as far from a conspiracy theorist as they come, but I swear something is amiss.  Throw out the bad umpiring.  What is the excuse for not even knowing our players and coaches names?  Why no background stories on our players? 

I understand earning respect, but there should be some earned for being one of the final three teams alive in the CWS, but we were treated as an after thought the entire time.     
Nice guys finish last. You need to be narcissistic and quasi-sociopathic in order to get ahead and get the breaks. See Al Davis.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 25, 2012, 08:18:43 am
Nice guys finish last. You need to be narcissistic and quasi-sociopathic in order to get ahead and get the breaks. See Al Davis.

Uhh...I think BP fit that bill, but we still got horrible calls.  I don't believe that's the reason for one second.  I think it's more than likely human nature taking over, and they are taking the path of least resistance.  Why risk getting four times the amount of upset people when you can deal with our smaller population? 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: IronHog on June 23, 2012, 11:11:15 pm

SC commended for what?  Standing there with a bat on their shoulders and throwing pitches 6 inches outside?

NCAA sports are clearly rigged..... Arkansas needs to just start cheating big time and try to win a football NC then deal with the fallout later....... works for Auburn and Bama.

Agreed but that's not how we roll.  We don't do anything to gain an edge and even fire coaches that don't commit violations or break the law.  I agree with you but with the power that be in charge up there we will be an also ran in most sports in a few years.  Its inevitable unfortunately.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

hogdogcrazy

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 25, 2012, 08:18:43 am

Agreed and since we will never take this approach we are screwed.  We still have the integrity thingy so that should help ease our pain.
Smites are Badges of Honor around this place.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 25, 2012, 09:51:29 am
Uhh...I think BP fit that bill, but we still got horrible calls.  I don't believe that's the reason for one second.  I think it's more than likely human nature taking over, and they are taking the path of least resistance.  Why risk getting four times the amount of upset people when you can deal with our smaller population?
4x?

SC population: 4.7 million
Ark population: 2.9 million

Not even 2x. Barely 50% more.

If this is what you meant...comparing Ark's population to that of SC.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 25, 2012, 10:26:48 am
4x?

SC population: 4.7 million
Ark population: 2.9 million

Not even 2x. Barely 50% more.

If this is what you meant...comparing Ark's population to that of SC.

No...I wasn't singling them out, and they're closer to what we deal with in regards to being a smaller market audience, and not an SEC "original."  Just a general rule, and we've seen it against a lot of other SEC foes.

I really think the coverage was more familiarity than anything else.  They knew their players pretty well from the last two years, minus a few additions.  It still begs the question as to why they couldn't just learn ours a little better. 

As for the poor calls...no clue.  I'm just throwing stuff out there.  It happened.  Question is...why?  Not sure anyone knows that, but we're all clueless Hog fans who whine all the time.  Nevermind the evidence...that's for tin foil hat wearers.  ;)

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 24, 2012, 05:28:42 pm
What is it about us that always brings up the bad calls in the big games in every sport? 

Because we are never able to get far enugh ahead so that the officials don't matter.  2 runs in 2 games against SC.  Yes SC is good, but still scoring 2 runs in 2 games is just asking for something outside your control to decide the game. 

I told my son we were going to lose after we got the potential 3rd run to 3rd with only 1 out and did not get him home.

Same in football.  2009 at Fla, yes bad calls late, but we missed an easy TD late in the 1st half, and dropped a ball in the 2nd half that made us settle for a Fg attemp instead of having 1st down around the 18.  Convert either or both and the Hogs are up 14+ late in the game, so the bad calls would not have hurt.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 25, 2012, 10:46:57 am

As for the poor calls...no clue.  I'm just throwing stuff out there.  It happened.  Question is...why?  Not sure anyone knows that, but we're all clueless Hog fans who whine all the time.  Nevermind the evidence...that's for tin foil hat wearers.  ;)

Pretty easy to tell alot of the posters here don't watch much baseball.  The strike zone varies from ump to ump, and often varies game to game even with the same ump.  Even at the major league level the single biggest complain from players is inconsistent strike zones. 

I am a Braves fan, but I will be the first to admit that Glavine amd Maddux made a living 3-6 inches off the plate.  Why?  They would hit the same spot over and over and over and umps will reward that if it is close to the plate.  Go back and analyze games in which either of them got hit hard.  It was almost always when they were either unable to hit that spot, or were not getting the calls.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 25, 2012, 10:46:57 am
No...I wasn't singling them out, and they're closer to what we deal with in regards to being a smaller market audience, and not an SEC "original."  Just a general rule, and we've seen it against a lot of other SEC foes.

I really think the coverage was more familiarity than anything else.  They knew their players pretty well from the last two years, minus a few additions.  It still begs the question as to why they couldn't just learn ours a little better. 

Why does not anyone just chalk it up to a shatty ump? No conspiracy, no collusion, not fixed. No one had money on SC. Just a bad ump who had a bad game. Hogs had their chances in both games and blew all of them.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hogsanity on June 25, 2012, 11:06:36 am
Because we are never able to get far enugh ahead so that the officials don't matter.  2 runs in 2 games against SC.  Yes SC is good, but still scoring 2 runs in 2 games is just asking for something outside your control to decide the game. 

I told my son we were going to lose after we got the potential 3rd run to 3rd with only 1 out and did not get him home.

Same in football.  2009 at Fla, yes bad calls late, but we missed an easy TD late in the 1st half, and dropped a ball in the 2nd half that made us settle for a Fg attemp instead of having 1st down around the 18.  Convert either or both and the Hogs are up 14+ late in the game, so the bad calls would not have hurt.

As many like to say here, THIS. ^^^^^. No one to blame but themselves for scoring only 2 runs in 2 games vs SC.

ATU HOG

Quote from: 12247 on June 24, 2012, 10:06:31 pm
I think the overall umpiring for the CWS was pretty bad behind the plate.  I saw bad calls both ways.  Surely if we knew the strike zone was being trimmed for us, then why do we call two pitch outs on the very next batter after Bax walks the lead off hitter.  Bax needs every ball allotted and our own coach takes 2 from him.  Bax went down with our help, sad.  And why don't we have the bull pen warm for the first pitch of the game, not when its clear Bax is in trouble.  I mean, this is a do or die game for us.  The Umps I hope are not the best the NCAA has to offer.
You never have the bullpen ready to go in after the first pitch.  What are you going to do, warm them up every inning? NO! Yes it's a do or die game for us, but heres how it goes.
1.  They run to the pen.
2.  Pitcher faces another batter, or Jorn comes out.
3.  Either Jorn comes out, and then Pitcher faces another batter.
4.  Depending on the outcome, you go get him or keep him in.  By this time, the pitcher is done stretching and has began to get loose.  It doesn't take that long to get loose.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on June 25, 2012, 11:18:45 am
Pretty easy to tell alot of the posters here don't watch much baseball.  The strike zone varies from ump to ump, and often varies game to game even with the same ump.  Even at the major league level the single biggest complain from players is inconsistent strike zones. 

I am a Braves fan, but I will be the first to admit that Glavine amd Maddux made a living 3-6 inches off the plate.  Why?  They would hit the same spot over and over and over and umps will reward that if it is close to the plate.  Go back and analyze games in which either of them got hit hard.  It was almost always when they were either unable to hit that spot, or were not getting the calls.

Funny you referenced those two, because those are the EXACT two that I referenced in another post.  I do know about baseball (not sure why the baseball thread continues to have people thinking they are brilliant about baseball...but whatever), and I accept a varying strike zone as being part of the game.  Bax is similar to Maddux in that he does rely on painting corners.  Thing is..he was doing that and not getting the calls, which set the tone early.  Then SC's hitters just went on "watch mode."   

I'm not saying it's the first time it has ever happened or that it will never happen again.  I have said repeatedly that when we saw we weren't going to get those calls, we should have started grooving balls and challenging them to hit strikes and hope it played out well for us.

The thread is about the local Omaha papers commenting on it.  Not about Hogville.  I agree that we should have scored more, just like a decision in boxing...take it out of the judges hands.  However, at some point you would think that maybe, just maybe, we could get to play one of these big games on an even playing field without some bizarre circumstance that people ranging from Omaha newspapers to Terrell Owen's Twitter see from a mile away. 

Excuse me for my complete lack of knowledge about baseball and my obviously skewed view at umpiring.     

urkillnmesmalls

...and again, you're just reinforcing what I'm saying.  We don't have the respect and reputation to get those calls.  Guess what...some of the other teams do, and if it's close at the end we can forget it.  You're glossing over that despite a mountain of evidence.  Why does that happen?  Was the replay official completely blind in the Florida, LSU, and Auburn game? 

I'm not whining.  I'm stating facts.  If we want to win, then we have to be a big cut above the rest in those close games.  That's just how it is.  You're acting as if I'm the only one suggesting it, when there are numerous outside sources that have pointed it out. 

I agree...we have to have a huge lead to win anything in the SEC.  It sucks, but it's still the truth. 

cohog

Quote from: hogsanity on June 25, 2012, 11:18:45 am

I grew up in Houston and remember the Astros playing the Braves in the playoffs.  Glavine and Maddox consistently were rewarded for hitting the same spot outside of the strike zone.  It changed the whole game.  Astro batters were having to reach for balls.  I haven't watched a MLB game since.

If you ask me, the batter should be rewarded for having a good eye and not swinging.  A ball should be called a ball, period.  A pitcher should not be rewarded for consistently throwing a bad pitch out of the strike zone.  A strike shouldn't be called unless the ump actually believes it's a strike as defined by the rule book.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: HoginMemphis on June 25, 2012, 12:45:39 pm
As many like to say here, THIS. ^^^^^. No one to blame but themselves for scoring only 2 runs in 2 games vs SC.

Right..just like there was no one to blame but ourselves for not tackling Tebow THREE full yards behind the first down marker. 

It wasn't like SC was out there torching it themselves HiM.  They had less hits than us in game three.  The walks killed us.

You would argue with a brick wall, and you're just playing the antagonist here.     

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 25, 2012, 03:18:38 pm
Right..just like there was no one to blame but ourselves for not tackling Tebow THREE full yards behind the first down marker. 

It wasn't like SC was out there torching it themselves HiM.  They had less hits than us in game three.  The walks killed us.

I coach youth baseball , no where near the level of NCAAWS obviously, but even in 9 yr old I have my pitchers find out where they will get calls early.  Set up out side and see how far out you can go and get away with it.  Same for my 13 yr olds. 

The frustrating part, at any level, is that there really is not consistent strike zone.  Some umps give high, soe low, others the corners.  I always tell my batters, especially with 2 strikes, if it is close, at least try to foul it off.  All you do when you look at a close call on strike 3 is invite the ump to ring you up. 

As to the " why does it always happen to us? " It happens because we continaully put overselves in a psition for it to matter. Every fan base claims it happens to them every time they lose a close game.  The problem with the ARK programs is that they NEVER find a way to win inspite of those type things.  Actually, one time they did, the 1994 NCAANC team found a way to win one late against Duke.     

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on June 25, 2012, 03:18:38 pm

I am sorry. I thought your name was pronounced brickwall. I can't pronounce it I guess.

LA Football fan

The problem I have is not that the strike zone is different per umpires, its the fact that ONE team did not have a SINGLE batter called out on a pitch off the plate and we had 3 in the last 3 innings.    Not only that but the winning run was walked in on a pitch that was IN the strike zone and would have ended that inning.  Price was given pitches the last 3 innings that we didn't get the ENTIRE game.  That is the problem and with what happened the last time Costello umped behind the plate it looks entirely like he has an agenda against Arkansas for whatever reason. 

The NCAA had no business assigning him behind the plate for any game we were playing in the CWS.  If he cannot call the strike zone consistently for BOTH teams then he has no business behind the plate in any game period.  If he is going to call a tight strike zone then call it the SAME, ALL GAME LONG for both teams.

Danny J

Quote from: LA Football fan on June 25, 2012, 04:44:08 pm
The problem I have is not that the strike zone is different per umpires, its the fact that ONE team did not have a SINGLE batter called out on a pitch off the plate and we had 3 in the last 3 innings.    Not only that but the winning run was walked in on a pitch that was IN the strike zone and would have ended that inning.  Price was given pitches the last 3 innings that we didn't get the ENTIRE game.  That is the problem and with what happened the last time Costello umped behind the plate it looks entirely like he has an agenda against Arkansas for whatever reason. 

The NCAA had no business assigning him behind the plate for any game we were playing in the CWS.
  If he cannot call the strike zone consistently for BOTH teams then he has no business behind the plate in any game period.  If he is going to call a tight strike zone then call it the SAME, ALL GAME LONG for both teams.
It looked to me like it was all "business".......

;)

WizardofhOgZ

Said exactly the same thing to my regular watching buddies at the sports bar in Dallas.  One of them (who hadn't seen us play but 3 or 4 times all season) got really pissed off at me.  But I'd seen that movie before.  I don't know how many times this year we'd come out and been all over the bases in the first 3 innings with little to show for it.  Then, for some reason, we go comatose at the plate the rest of the way.

On rare occurrences, we might rally in either the eighth or ninth for a run.  But that doesn't change the fact that we left 3 to 5 on the table early on.  A key hit or two and it's a totally different game.