Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If we are a top 30 program why can't we hire top 30 assistant coaches?

Started by nwahogfan1, September 28, 2017, 06:38:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Many on here are saying Arkansas is such a great place to be for a Coach then why are we not proving it by hiring top Assistant Coaches.

Why do we have to be taking these huge chances in hiring Assistant coaches with relative very little or no coaching experience at the BCS level?

Some of these hires might prove to be great but why take the chance.  Why not go grab a proven Assistant from a lower school and double his salary.

gchamblee

Our OC has HC experience and has been the coach of one of the top offenses in the conference
Our DC has HC experience and is improving our defense in his first year
Most of our position coaches are pretty dang good

Hogwild

Some of the assistants we have/had here-

Enos- former HC
Rhoads- former HC
Rob Smith- currently has the #1 scoring defense in the nation
R. Shannon- currently the DC of Florida a top 20 team without an offense
Chaney/Pittman-currently running the Offense of the 7th ranked school in the country

King Kong

We are bring in  top 30 Asst coaches. But everyone else has top 20 coaches. Welcome to the SEC

nwahogfan1

I am referring to OL Coach Anderson,  DL Coach John Scott and OLB Coach Chad Walker.

I don't think any of these guys have actually experience coaching their position at a BCS school.   What do they bring to the table for recruiting experience in SEC states.  I think Scott has some Ga.  connections but the what about the others?

hogsanity

Another case in point. Top 30 still might leave you 10th or 11th in the SEC.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

East Clintwood

Where is this ranking list of assistant coaches?

The better question is why we don't have a top tier head coach?
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

phadedhawg

I think I'm suffering from "lil' ole Arkansas" syndrome this morning.  It seems like we are the destination for coaches who want a black mark on their record, be it losing or scandal. 

Ugh...

Darren DeLoach

ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hogsanity

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 28, 2017, 11:18:45 am
Where is this ranking list of assistant coaches?

The better question is why we don't have a top tier head coach?

well we did get a guy who had won his league 3 times. His failure here so far pretty much proves why we will not get a "top" HC to come here because they CAN NOT WIN HERE, not at a level to make themselves or the fans happy anyway.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

pigskenG

I think we do have top 30 or better coaches. Problem is, usually in the last few years, except for Vandy, KY, sometimes M St and us, the rest of the SEC has top 20 or better talent.
I just don't know if we can recruit better consistently.  example, even in the past:
in 2004, we signed Peyton Hillis, Jamaal Anderson, Jonathan Luigs, Marcus Monk - and ranked 18th in the country.
in 2005, we signed Felix Jones, Darren McFadden - and ranked 26th in the country.
in 2007, we signed one 4 star, TE David Williams - and ranked 36th in the country.
And now that I look back at it, it seems like the class can be ranked by how many top Arkansas kids there are.

lakecityhog

Why can't we hire top 30 assistants? Have we tried?
It appears to me that BB goes out for the obscure guy, the underdog guy and MOST of the time that is exactly what he gets!

Has he ever gone to an assistant coach at a P5 school that was very well thought of and tried to lure him to Fayetteville? Have we ever gone after a top 10 assistant? And if we haven't why haven't we?

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hogwild on September 28, 2017, 07:39:35 am
Rob Smith- currently has the #1 scoring defense in the nation

And his first year here our defense got after folks.  I have to think the defense, or lack there of, has Bielema's prints all over it because it doesn't seem to matter who the DC is, we still play a passive bend but don't break style.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jacobp

Robb Smiths defense has faced Buffalo, Oregon State, and Middle Tennessee. All 3 are garbage

Hoginsavga

Quote from: hogsanity on September 28, 2017, 11:06:44 am
Another case in point. Top 30 still might leave you 10th or 11th in the SEC.

This is simply not the case this year or last year. The SEC west or east is no better than the ACC, BIG, Big 12 or PAC 12. We are no better than the middle of the pack in any P5 conference. But yes, on second thought you are correct about 10th or 11th.

I just think too many fans have the SEC way overrated. It's just another excuse to justify our current position.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Honeymoon was short and sweet for Robb Smith here.  Remember just a fee years back when he got a raise for having a top ten defense and the whole state was behind him. Then he was rode out on a rail shortly after.  He probably just all of a sudden turned into a bad coach.

elksnort

Quote from: gchamblee on September 28, 2017, 06:58:50 am
Our OC has HC experience and has been the coach of one of the top offenses in the conference
Our DC has HC experience and is improving our defense in his first year
Most of our position coaches are pretty dang good

I believe you're right about the first two not sure about the third thing

LZH

I think we have good coordinators, the rest?......I haven't a clue.

buldozer

When it comes to assistant coaches, it seems to me CBB has a problem hanging onto qualified coaches. Coaches with a future seem to not be able to get away from CBB fast enough. Not sure why, but he can't seem to hang onto the qualified coaches, so he has taken to hiring coaches with little experience. Maybe the qualified coaches challenge his decisions, or make him feel threatened of losing his job or whatever. But they don't stay and he has stopped hiring them. One thing is clear that he has had significant disagreements with some of the qualified coaches that have come and gone.

I think Enos will bail out after this season. I can't imagine why he would stay.