Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach Morris on Finebaum

Started by RUN N GUN, December 15, 2017, 01:52:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RUN N GUN

Morris on Finebaum now: We've got a good idea of what our staff is going to look like but can't announce until these bowl games finish and after the Dec 20 early signing day

NuttinItUp

WPS

(Note: Video freezes at the 5:24 mark for about 10 seconds then continues.)

Dwight_K_Shrute

Makes sense at this point any position coach/coordinator that does not want to burn bridges isn't going to bail on his current job less than a week before signing day. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Quote from: RUN N GUN on December 15, 2017, 01:52:59 pm
Morris on Finebaum now: We've got a good idea of what our staff is going to look like but can't announce until these bowl games finish and after the Dec 20 early signing day
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Simple Swineman

They were talking about the many challenges with the early signing period and during that conversation came the discussion of coaching staff changes. He talked in general about it being difficult for coaches that are transitioning because they have to be loyal to their current school during the signing period even thought they won't be there after the signing period.

What struck me is that he said he has a "really, really strong idea of what my staff is going to look like, but can't announce anything until some of these bowl games get out of the way."

The way he said it basically confirmed that his staff is in place and we just have to wait. I don't see why anybody would want to wait unless they are playing in the playoffs. I think it's a very good sign.

little pigee

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 01:57:49 pm

WPS

(Note: Video freezes at the 5:24 mark for about 10 seconds then continues.)
thanks!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

HF#1

I agree. I also thought it was very telling that he expected 50/50 split on the two signing days. This early signing period is going to turn out to be a disaster.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HF#1 on December 15, 2017, 02:08:34 pm
I agree. I also thought it was very telling that he expected 50/50 split on the two signing days. This early signing period is going to turn out to be a disaster.

I agree. At first I was a proponent of it. I've changed my mind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bballjws2004

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 15, 2017, 02:10:17 pm

Just curious as to why.  Mind explaining?

LRHawg

Anyone else think they'll make a change to the early singing period? Perhaps move it up to the middle of the fall or August, or maybe even backwards towards the beginning of next year?

Hopeful Hog

I don't know. Maybe this is just the pessimist Razorback fan in me but he really didn't seem as confident about his staff his when he was first introduced. Don't want to read too much into it, he could just be exhausted, but he may have been turned down by a couple of his A-listers.

hogfan870

So if you early sign with a school and your coordinator or your position coach leaves a week later, are they going to let kids out of their commitments?  Seems like this could really set up for some major dishonesty by coaches and hurt feelings by recruits.  Could be ugly. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hopeful Hog on December 15, 2017, 02:15:17 pm
I don't know. Maybe this is just the pessimist Razorback fan in me but he really didn't seem as confident about his staff his when he was first introduced. Don't want to read too much into it, he could just be exhausted, but he may have been turned down by a couple of his A-listers.

What did he say that makes you think that?

To me it just sounded like he cannot say anything officially until after the bowl games, but he has a good idea of what his staff will be.

BigBrandonAllenFan

This early signing period is going to turn out to be a disaster.

If we sign Bohannon, there will be nothing disastrous about it.  Just give us that one guy, and recruiting will have been a huge success.

LRHawg

To me, the only frustration he shared was with the early signing period when you are a coach that just changed teams.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 15, 2017, 02:15:23 pm
So if you early sign with a school and your coordinator or your position coach leaves a week later, are they going to let kids out of their commitments?  Seems like this could really set up for some major dishonesty by coaches and hurt feelings by recruits.  Could be ugly. 

I am wondering if after a few cycles of this, if 90% of kids don't just start waiting until the "normal" signing period, making the early signing period a little irrelevant.

HF#1

There is too much moving around being done this time of year.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hoglady

Morris looks like he's been working to the point of exhaustion - just looked dog tired.
As a fan I appreciate how he and his staff have been hitting it with everything they've got.
Could not ask for anymore at this point.

(I wonder if his son made a video of the whole family learning and practicing the Hog call the night before his press conference. I got a good laugh envisioning them watching the youtube video and practicing).
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRHawg on December 15, 2017, 02:12:39 pm
Anyone else think they'll make a change to the early singing period? Perhaps move it up to the middle of the fall or August, or maybe even backwards towards the beginning of next year?

I think the deterrent to having it early Fall is the potential to have the staff gone in December.  Would the process allow one to get out of the LOI upon a coaching change?  If so, then would probably make some sense.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 02:17:42 pm

To me it just sounded like he cannot say anything officially until after the bowl games, but he has a good idea of what his staff will be.

I thought he said prior to the early signing period.  After that, then coaching names can come out.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hoglady

December 15, 2017, 02:31:34 pm #20 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 06:55:38 pm by hoglady

I didn't get that at all.
Just looked like a tired man, running on Red Bull, getting little to no sleep for about 8 days running.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Simple Swineman

Quote from: bballjws2004 on December 15, 2017, 02:12:00 pm

-Kids are in school taking final exams right now while their doors are being beat down by coaches. Way too much distraction.
-Coaching staffs are changing significantly this time of year. Even when there is no head coaching change there are coordinators moving. Internal sabotage will be rampant.
-Coaches are doing bowl preparations while recruiting and prepping for signing day. Not enough hours in the day.
-There is actually a bowl game ON signing day this year. How do those staffs balance that?

There are many other challenges, but these are just a few.

Hugo Bezdek

I agree. Putting the early signing period in the middle of what is effectively "hiring season" is a mistake. It puts a lot of pressure on schools to fire coaches mid-season, and you're asking kids to make a commitment that will frequently not be reciprocated by the coach that signs them. I suspect this rule is going to get another look and probably end up going away. Honestly I never understood having one in December and then another in February. I don't think it accomplishes anything.

code red

The early signing period is only good for programs that can attract 4-5 star talent...the rich get richer.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Hogindasticks

This silent treatment has to be for venables....

rhog1

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 02:51:55 pm
I wouldn;t say that. At the least it probably means our next DC is still coaching somewhere. It could be Grinch.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogfan870 on December 15, 2017, 02:15:23 pm
anyone signing early is signing with a school not a coach.  they all know things change, they just want to secure their spot on the list.

also, the good thing about it from the program side is that after your early signing period, you can focus your efforts on the remaining spots rather than trying to make sure your "commits" stay committed.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hogindasticks on December 15, 2017, 02:51:55 pm
no, its because he has gruden.  just has to wait until after the christmas holiday so he has time to tell his family.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Ft Lake Hog

To me, the early signing period is for kids like Bumper Pool and Connor Noland (sp) who are committed to a school more so than a staff. It allows them to sign and not have another 2 months of coaches calling, people asking about recruiting, etc.

Hogtimes

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 02:17:42 pm

Has a good idea who is staff will be ....sounds to me like he does not know for certain.

GalaHawg

Agree with moving it to early-August before the Fall semester starts. The early signing period should be implemented for the benefit of kids who wants to shut down their recruitment and focus on their senior season and classes so they don't get bothered by all the calls, emails, texts, drop bys, and twitter messages from coaches and fans.

Hawgboy64

Ever time he's on TV, I am reminded how grateful I am that he's our coach.
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

colbs

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 15, 2017, 03:02:58 pm
Has a good idea who is staff will be ....sounds to me like he does not know for certain.
He said he had a strong idea. 

hogsanity

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 15, 2017, 02:19:13 pm
I am wondering if after a few cycles of this, if 90% of kids don't just start waiting until the "normal" signing period, making the early signing period a little irrelevant.

I would think the early signing period will eventually be used by kids who are afraid if they wait the offer won't be there anymore. If I am only being recruited by a couple of schools, or if I had a bad sr season or had an injury, i might jump on the early signing day just to make sure I don't get left out.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

I believe the NCAA may reverse on the early signing period as they see what it causes.  The entire idea of signing early is foolish anyway.  Many Kids will refuse to sign early if they have any reason to believe their reason for signing at all may change.  I believe this was designed to lower the work and stress on the staffs but I think it will not do that.

BenDial

Quote from: RUN N GUN on December 15, 2017, 01:52:59 pm

Ever since Venables's name was thrown out there, I haven't been able to consider it as a legitimate option. This is especially true since the Gus Malzhan rope-a-dope raise. Something that sounds too good to be true usually is too good to be true. Getting Venables sounds too good to be true.

Then a soundbite like this happens, and I try to make sense of it. He specifically said he was going to wait until after the Dec 20 signing day to announce some of the staff. To me, that sounds like a courtesy. Not a professional courtesy, mind you, but a friendly courtesy. We all know that Dabo, Morris, and Venables are stand-up guys, friendly guys, and have a different kind of relationship. It's the kind of relationship that you give a friendly courtesy to.

I combine that with Morris saying something along the lines of "not wanting to make Dabo upset" when asked about the Venables rumors and the very strange comment that Venables had when asked if he was in contact with Arkansas about the head coaching job. He said that it was a difficult question to answer and that his representatives have been in contact with our representatives. What's difficult about that? If your representatives had been in contact with Arkansas folks, the answer is yes. Unless, of course, the difficulty was about the possibility that it wasn't for the head coaching job and the wrong question was asked.

All of this is just strange. Their friendship (including Swinney) and vague talk just muddies the water, especially for a fan base that is desperately wanting something great to happen here.

I still don't think he's coming, but I sure would like for someone to shut it down completely if it's not. That little part of my brain that holds all of my hopes and dreams for Razorback football is getting more hopeful than perhaps it should.

Vantage 8 dude

December 15, 2017, 04:48:03 pm #36 Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:13:23 pm by Vantage 8 dude
Sorry, but I don't necessarily agree. Yes, there will be some kids who might have been ready to sign that may not until the February date. Obviously there are several-Haspard, Gibson and perhaps Gooden (can't really get a clear read on his true intentions)-who have either opted elsewhere or haven't had the same positive reception by the new staff. However, there are some like Pool and Noland who are clearly going to sign no matter what/when. Then there is the third gray area of kids such as Bohanan who may or may not end up inking. These are the ones that you would have most certainly would have wanted to get to know and establish a relationship with prior to the early period. Having said that, there is still no guarantee that some of these kids won't go ahead and wait the extra month or so to get a better "read" on the situation. BTW it's possible that the aforementioned Bohanan could end up falling into this category (although he has indicated he's planning a press conference next week to reveal his choice).

Billy Bats

R-E-L-A-X.  He'll have us some Jimmies and Joes by Feb. 

LRHawg

Quote from: BenDial on December 15, 2017, 04:17:19 pm
Ever since Venables's name was thrown out there, I haven't been able to consider it as a legitimate option. This is especially true since the Gus Malzhan rope-a-dope raise. Something that sounds too good to be true usually is too good to be true. Getting Venables sounds too good to be true.

Then a soundbite like this happens, and I try to make sense of it. He specifically said he was going to wait until after the Dec 20 signing day to announce some of the staff. To me, that sounds like a courtesy. Not a professional courtesy, mind you, but a friendly courtesy. We all know that Dabo, Morris, and Venables are stand-up guys, friendly guys, and have a different kind of relationship. It's the kind of relationship that you give a friendly courtesy to.

I combine that with Morris saying something along the lines of "not wanting to make Dabo upset" when asked about the Venables rumors and the very strange comment that Venables had when asked if he was in contact with Arkansas about the head coaching job. He said that it was a difficult question to answer and that his representatives have been in contact with our representatives. What's difficult about that? If your representatives had been in contact with Arkansas folks, the answer is yes. Unless, of course, the difficulty was about the possibility that it wasn't for the head coaching job and the wrong question was asked.

All of this is just strange. Their friendship (including Swinney) and vague talk just muddies the water, especially for a fan base that is desperately wanting something great to happen here.

I still don't think he's coming, but I sure would like for someone to shut it down completely if it's not. That little part of my brain that holds all of my hopes and dreams for Razorback football is getting more hopeful than perhaps it should.

It's not Venables.

Better?

Yeah me neither.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: 12247 on December 15, 2017, 03:35:29 pm
I believe the NCAA may reverse on the early signing period as they see what it causes.  The entire idea of signing early is foolish anyway.  Many Kids will refuse to sign early if they have any reason to believe their reason for signing at all may change.  I believe this was designed to lower the work and stress on the staffs but I think it will not do that.
While I don't ever bet with or against what the NCAA will do, one of the purposes for the early signing date to give those kids who've definitely decided where they're going an early opportunity to do so hasn't changed. Again, no recruit is being forced to do anything during the early signing period. He obviously still retains the option of waiting until the normal February date. It frees up those kids who are ready to sign to get it behind them. On the other hand, it gives the staffs an opportunity to plan for their needs above and beyond those who are committing/inking early. All allows the coaches to more clearly see what areas of needs/recruits they need to focus on before the later signing period.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I believe that moving it up is a good thing, but moving it back to 12/31 would be better. That would give something else to look forward to on NYE...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Hogtimes

Quote from: colbs on December 15, 2017, 03:16:27 pm
He said he had a strong idea. 

I was quoting the op, but is there really any difference?

bphi11ips

Quote from: bballjws2004 on December 15, 2017, 02:12:00 pm

The early signing period was just approved about six months ago, and no one really knows what to expect.  Teams often offer several players for the same position.  Will the first to sign get the slot?  What if an offerree wants to sign early but he isn't top on the team's board.  Does the team make him wait? 

Teams also tell players they need to see what happens after the season is over or what other recuits will do before making an offer but that one may be coming when they figure it out. The season isn't over.  What does the player do?  Does he wait on the offer he really wants and risk losing his slot somewhere else to an early signee?  How about the coaches?  Do they sign a second or third choice or wait for the top player on the board if the top player doesn't sign during the early period?

What does a committed player do when a new coach comes in in early December?  What does the new coach do?  The commitment may have had several good offers before he committed.  What if he loses those other offers if uncommitted players sign with those other schools early and then the new coach decides not to sign him? 

I think coaches and players alike are having anxiety fits about what the early signing period will mean for them.  There's no precedent to consider when making a decision, but the dominoes are about to start falling.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Foshodo

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on December 15, 2017, 03:12:36 pm
Ever time he's on TV, I am reminded how grateful I am that he's our coach.

Every time he's on tv... I hear the exact word for word thing said as every other time I've seen him on tv since he's been hired

PorkSoda

Quote from: Hogtimes on December 15, 2017, 03:02:58 pm
nothing is "certain" until they sign on the dotted line.  and sometimes not even then.  see dana altman

Billy Bats

Quote from: Foshodo on December 15, 2017, 05:40:55 pm
Every time he's on tv... I hear the exact word for word thing said as every other time I've seen him on tv since he's been hired

He's staying on message and not picking fights with other SEC coaches about up tempo offenses. I'll take it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 15, 2017, 05:31:19 pm
The early signing period was just approved about six months ago, and no one really knows what to expect.  Teams often offer several players for the same position.  Will the first to sign get the slot?  What if an offerree wants to sign early but he isn't top on the team's board.  Does the team make him wait? 

Teams also tell players they need to see what happens after the season is over or what other recuits will do before making an offer but that one may be coming when they figure it out. The season isn't over.  What does the player do?  Does he wait on the offer he really wants and risk losing his slot somewhere else to an early signee?  How about the coaches?  Do they sign a second or third choice or wait for the top player on the board if the top player doesn't sign during the early period?

What does a committed player do when a new coach comes in in early December?  What does the new coach do?  The commitment may have had several good offers before he committed.  What if he loses those other offers if uncommitted players sign with those other schools early and then the new coach decides not to sign him? 

I think coaches and players alike are having anxiety fits about what the early signing period will mean for them.  There's no precedent to consider when making a decision, but the dominoes are about to start falling.
coaches don't have to accept a LOI.  I could get ahold of a letter of intent of OSU and fax it to them on signing day, but doesn't mean they have to accept me.

the players that want to secure their spot and have commitable offers will sign in the early period.  that will allow thier coaches to stop recruiting them and other recruits that signed with other schools and focus on filling the remaining slots.

I didn't like the idea at first because I didn't see any practical benefit, but the more i think about it, the more practical it seems.

netteltonhog

Along with signing day in December everyone gets an additional coach. That's 117(or so) new coaching jobs to be filled in division 1

bphi11ips

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 15, 2017, 05:48:25 pm
coaches don't have to accept a LOI.  I could get ahold of a letter of intent of OSU and fax it to them on signing day, but doesn't mean they have to accept me.

the players that want to secure their spot and have commitable offers will sign in the early period.  that will allow thier coaches to stop recruiting them and other recruits that signed with other schools and focus on filling the remaining slots.

I didn't like the idea at first because I didn't see any practical benefit, but the more i think about it, the more practical it seems.

You just described the legal process of offer and acceptance.  That isn't the question.  What if two players have an offer, one is tops on the board and the other is second.  The second faxes an LOI and the first says he wants to wait until February.  Do the coaches accept the LOI from the second choice or not?  No one knows how this is going to work. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgbawb

He's well-spoken.  Seems like a smart dude.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.