Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus or Bret

Started by Sho Nuff, October 17, 2017, 01:19:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If you had to choose one of these to lead your program...

Gus
112 (52.3%)
Bret
28 (13.1%)
Obligatory Frito Pie Option
74 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 214

Sho Nuff

I know these aren't the 2 options you would like to have.  But, if the options were trust that Bret can turn it around or give Gus a shot, which would you pick?

Großer Kriegschwein

Gus.

He has better athletes and they are more proficient in executing what Gus wants them to do.

Gus underperforms with the athletes he has, Bret is anemic with the ones he has.
This is my non-signature signature.

311Hog

the two simplest offenses go head to head.... who will run the same 3 plays better

31to6

Use Frito Pie to lure a homeless guy to run the program. Probably smarter than Bret. Probably more ethical than Gus.

Ben

Which one has been more successful in the past 10 years?

Obviously its going to be Frito Pie
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Sho Nuff

Quote from: 31to6 on October 17, 2017, 01:29:09 pm
Use Frito Pie to lure a homeless guy to run the program. Probably smarter than Bret. Probably more ethical than Gus.

East Clintwood

I'd rather go coachless.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sho Nuff

Frito Pie is running away with it!

Donny2665

Gus with Cole Kelley would be fun to watch!
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Donny2665 on October 17, 2017, 01:45:45 pm
Gus with Cole Kelley would be fun to watch!

That does seem to be a natural match.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

grayhawg

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2017, 01:24:40 pm
Gus.

He has better athletes and they are more proficient in executing what Gus wants them to do.

Gus underperforms with the athletes he has, Bret is anemic with the ones he has.
So you do not think Gus could get good athletes here?   I do and pretty quickly.  He owns Bret.  Remember Auburn is like OSU in Oklahoma.   Probable 80% of the folks in Bama only supports Auburn after their beloved Crimson Tide.  Gus had done a great job there.   

DLUXHOG

oh, oh, oh... yet another enlightening post from a neophyte that hasn't read the hundreds of similar posts.....  oh, please, kill me now.............
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Marshfieldhog

Bret getting smoked by Gus and Frito Pie in early voting. Lol

Sho Nuff

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 17, 2017, 02:10:36 pm
oh, oh, oh... yet another enlightening post from a neophyte that hasn't read the hundreds of similar posts.....  oh, please, kill me now.............
Not the worst idea I have heard today...

RazorPiggie

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Sho Nuff on October 17, 2017, 01:19:52 pm
I know these aren't the 2 options you would like to have.  But, if the options were trust that Bret can turn it around or give Gus a shot, which would you pick?

Neither
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

phadedhawg

No Gus, no Bert, yes frito pie!!!

phadedhawg

I will take whoever is the current coach at ASU over either of those clowns.  They seem to do a good job at finding decent coaches lately

Hoginsavga

Starting with year 1992 through year 2012 the AR vs Auburn series was tied with 10 wins each and one tie. This includes our first year in the SEC through Smith's coaching. Our coaches were Crowe, Kines, Ford, Nutt, Petrino and Smiley. Auburn also had numerous coaches, including Tuberville during that same period.

This was 21 years of football and tends to indicate the talent level at both schools is fairly equal. Judging from our coaches during those years I would say that we may have had the advantage in coaching only four of the 21 years. With that said, is our recruiting actually below or above Auburn's?

Years after 2012 is the beginning of the Bielema and Gus era at AR and Auburn, respectively where Gus holds the lead by 3 to 1.

Regardless of what many negative posters say on HV about our recruiting base and the quality of our players, the record doesn't support Auburn being superior to Arkansas.

Another tidbit of information, the first 15 years in the SEC, before Saban, our record against AL was 7 wins and 8 losses. We had winning records against Ole Miss, Miss State and Texas A&M in our first 21 years, pre-Bret, in the conference. LSU and AL were the only West teams to hold the edge in winning and both had Saban for a number of years while we floundered for a number of years trying to find the right coach.

I personally think we get much better players at AR than a lot of fans are willing to admit. Also when you get a higher level coach he can take our level of players and average 8 or 9 wins a year.

rhog1

I would go Bret every time. I shudder to think how awful Malzahn would be when he is barely average with auburn's talent. Bret has been Bad here Gus would be just as bad or worse and harder to fire.

Großer Kriegschwein

Gus currently has better athletes on his roster than we do.

Where our programs are currently, like right now, Auburn has the advantage in athletes and probably a slight edge in coaching.

Both coaches have blown their wad and are very predictable. Edge goes to Auburn for using tempo ala HUNH to create the conditions for them to move the ball. They also have a much better defense, statistically than us.

Im still driving from central Louisiana to Fayetteville this weekend to watch the game. Maybe we will win on a lest second field go.......never mind. That won't happen.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: rhog1 on October 17, 2017, 02:39:17 pm
I would go Bret every time. I shudder to think how awful Malzahn would be when he is barely average with auburn's talent. Bret has been Bad here Gus would be just as bad or worse and harder to fire.

Maybe you should do a little research before you post. Read the post directly above yours.

311Hog

literally i would rather have a frito pie calling the plays

rhog1

Quote from: Hoginsavga on October 17, 2017, 02:45:34 pm
Maybe you should do a little research before you post. Read the post directly above yours.
Nothing in that post contradicts both Bret and Gus being awful or Malzahn being harder to fire. Just because Malzahn can beat Arkansas with Auburn's talent doesn't mean he isn't also terrible as a head coach.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: rhog1 on October 17, 2017, 03:00:04 pm
Nothing in that post contradicts both Bret and Gus being awful or Malzahn being harder to fire. Just because Malzahn can beat Arkansas with Auburn's talent doesn't mean he isn't also terrible as a head coach.

You indicated in your initial post that Auburn has much better talent than AR. The 21 years before Gus and Bret doesn't support that unless AR had superior coaching to Auburn. I am not saying Gus or Bret are good or terrible coaches but I can't find indication of Auburn's superior talent level based on the past head to head competition.

GuvHog

Bret - Isn't getting it done

Gus??  When Hades freezes over which means NEVER!!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HoopS

Gus has won a national title. He's been part of I think 3 SEC championship games.

It isn't even close.

Gus.

phadedhawg

Quote from: HoopS on October 17, 2017, 03:27:23 pm
Gus has won a national title. He's been part of I think 3 SEC championship games.

It isn't even close.

Gus.

Not sure we can afford the payroll it would take to hire another QB who could win Gus a championship.

Seebs

Crazy wife competition - Gus
Nathan's Hot Dog eating - Bret
Complexion  - Gus
Gin Blossom nose - Bret
Glasses - Gus
Wind Breaker - Bret
Cannonball - Bret
Haircut - Tie
Moobs - Bret
Choking in big games - Tie
Poster boards - Gus
Knows the Henderson State fight song - Gus

I guess I have to go with Frito Pie
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

rhog1

Quote from: Hoginsavga on October 17, 2017, 03:13:39 pm
You indicated in your initial post that Auburn has much better talent than AR. The 21 years before Gus and Bret doesn't support that unless AR had superior coaching to Auburn. I am not saying Gus or Bret are good or terrible coaches but I can't find indication of Auburn's superior talent level based on the past head to head competition.
Since 2013 according to 247 sports Auburn has ranked 10th, 6th, 8th, 9th, and 9th in recruiting, Arkansas has ranked 23, 29th, 22, 23, and 27th. Auburn has had much higher ranked talent on hand than we have and still turned in mediocre results. Bret is bad but at least he hasn't also been bad with top 10 recruiting classes. Gus cant even use the no talent excuse.

HoopS

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 17, 2017, 03:35:24 pm
Not sure we can afford the payroll it would take to hire another QB who could win Gus a championship.
one player though. That's all it takes with him as the coach. Scrape up some nickels.

jkstock04

Bielema is the worst long term coach we have ever had. Easily Malzahn.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hoggish1

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2017, 01:24:40 pm

If Gus under performs with this current athletes he what makes you think he would be able to recruit better players than he gets at Auburn to make up for his under performing?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 17, 2017, 03:43:55 pm
If Gus under performs with this current athletes he what makes you think he would be able to recruit better players than he gets at Auburn to make up for his under performing?

I don't.

Not sure where you get that I'm on the Gus bus.

Never have been, never will be.

Hoginsavga

Quote from: rhog1 on October 17, 2017, 03:38:30 pm
Since 2013 according to 247 sports Auburn has ranked 10th, 6th, 8th, 9th, and 9th in recruiting, Arkansas has ranked 23, 29th, 22, 23, and 27th. Auburn has had much higher ranked talent on hand than we have and still turned in mediocre results. Bret is bad but at least he hasn't also been bad with top 10 recruiting classes. Gus cant even use the no talent excuse.

Then one would have to say that Gus has moved the needle in Auburn's favor in both recruiting and coaching since 2013 because in the 21 years prior to that the series was tied with 10 wins each and one tie. Not only the head to head where Gus leads 3 to 1 but Gus has a significantly better conference record than Bret during the same time frame.

NuttinItUp

I would rather win, so Gus.

King Kong

I can't believe I'm saying. But yeah probably Gus

HogSlop84

Dwight_K_Shrute

Bert is more likely to eat the Frito pie and absorb it's spirit so the Bert votes should be combined with the FP votes.  Even then it says a lot that Gus has a slight lead
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

KlubhouseKonnected

Well there is the devil you know thing, luckily this isn't a real world issue
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Seebs on October 17, 2017, 03:37:27 pm
Crazy wife competition - Gus
Nathan's Hot Dog eating - Bret
Complexion  - Gus
Gin Blossom nose - Bret
Glasses - Gus
Wind Breaker - Bret
Cannonball - Bret
Haircut - Tie
Moobs - Bret
Choking in big games - Tie
Poster boards - Gus
Knows the Henderson State fight song - Gus

I guess I have to go with Frito Pie

I think you are doing Gus an injustice on the moobs category. Those sweater vests can't quite conceal a pretty impressive set of Dude-knockers. And when it comes to fun bags bigger isn't always better when you take total body frame into account.

Danny J

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 18, 2017, 02:27:38 pm
I think you are doing Gus an injustice on the moobs category. Those sweater vests can't quite conceal a pretty impressive set of Dude-knockers. And when it comes to fun bags bigger isn't always better when you take total body frame into account.

While Bret is the clear favorite in the Nathan's Hot Dog competition right this second, if Gus still has a job next season, he will have become the clear favorite after the experience gained in meetings with the BOT due to relevant and recent experience.

Pig in the Pokey

Why the hell would we choose between absolute ass with manboobs or absolute ass with 4 chins? This isnt the 2016 election!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Qui Gon Jinn

The expert in anything was once a beginner.

hoglady

I just can't stand Gus Malzahn.

But I would take him over Bielema.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

007 License To Squeal

Do I really have to???  Ok, then Gus over Belly-ma every time.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Hoginsavga on October 17, 2017, 02:45:34 pm

The post above his did not even have a consistent argument within its own illogical premise