Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Virus/Malware Protection for my PC

Started by HawgWild, July 12, 2015, 05:32:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

I've got a couple subscriptions for McAfee & Malwarebytes that are about to expire. (Paid for by my ex-employer.)I also have Microsoft Security Essentials. I may luck out and they'll renew my subscription with all of the other company PCs but if they don't, what would you recommend?

TIA.

TomasPistola

Eset Smart Security and Malwarebytes (though I'm not a fan of their GUI redesign).
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Michaelt

I've had no problems with Norton Security for about four years now.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

GolfNut57

You can get Avast or AVG either one off the internet for free. And they both work pretty darn well imo. Both of those have apps that work on your phone too. Just get them from the play store.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

31to6

Quote from: HawgWild on July 12, 2015, 05:32:45 pm
I've got a couple subscriptions for McAfee & Malwarebytes that are about to expire. (Paid for by my ex-employer.)I also have Microsoft Security Essentials. I may luck out and they'll renew my subscription with all of the other company PCs but if they don't, what would you recommend?
TIA.
Several decent recommendations in this thread but while the average layman "recommends" A/V software the average computer security expert rates "patch regularly" as the #1 thing you can do to keep your computer secure.

So, while you are upgrading to a new A/V, make sure you are also running a modern, supported version (of Windows I presume by the thread) that is fully patched and then turn on automatic updates. [Edit: it is also very important that your browser, microsoft office (if you are using it) and other key components are also running their auto-updates as well.]

The next best thing you can do for online safety is get a password manager and use different passwords for each website--and then use it.

Just a couple "pro" tips. :)

Doug

Gotta agree with 31 here.

For the record, this expert stands behind the three following setups:
eSet Antivirus
Spybot Search & Destroy (run the BETA edition to get bleeding edge security scanner updates)
Lavasoft AdAware

Norton's is, by far, the absolute WORST thing you can do to your system. It's a great product... but causes far more wear and tear on your HD because of how aggressively it scans.

McAfee is almost always dead last in all AntiVirus reviews and performance, consistently.

eSet, while just as solid as Norton's is, does not brutalize system resources (especially hard drives). Not to mention, their pricing is consumer friendly.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HawgWild

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and do the automatic upgrades. My former employer did not renew my Malware Bytes license and I'm currently using the free version. Seems like these virus programs evolve over time and for the worse. I started out with Norton back in the 1990s and then used McAfee in the 2000s and then changed over to Kapersky. Now there's a new set of names out front.

grayhawg

Quote from: HawgWild on August 01, 2015, 08:31:31 am
Thanks for these suggestions. I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit and do the automatic upgrades. My former employer did not renew my Malware Bytes license and I'm currently using the free version. Seems like these virus programs evolve over time and for the worse. I started out with Norton back in the 1990s and then used McAfee in the 2000s and then changed over to Kapersky. Now there's a new set of names out front.
Run a free version and watch on newegg.com, they sometimes run antivirus programs on sale. Last spring I bought AVG Ultimate with tune up, unlimited devices and for 3 years for $29.95

Doug

^^ COSIGN!

Get on NewEgg's mailing list... that's generally where they announce specials (they usually have at least one good piece of software on sale each and every time)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

HawgWild

HawgWild

Newegg is having one of their 72 hour sales. AVG and ESET aren't discounted but they do have Kapersky 2015 (1pc/1yr) for $9.95. Should take this or wait?

HawgWild

Thanks for the detailed recommendations. +1

Warbirdhog

Long time eSet user here, add me to those recommending it.

Augustus

Agree with eSet.  I've also used Avast in the past, and was never disappointed. With the free copy of MalwareBytes for ad-hoc scans. 

Doug - I completely agree, Norton and McAfee are garbage. Especially McAfee.

One thing I'd add to the comment of making sure your o/s is kept up to date with security patches....

Also make sure any 3rd party programs are also 'auto patched' or at least manually patched, when updates are available. Stuff like:
Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Reader
Heck, ANY Adobe product.
Apple Quicktime
Java

But, I think for the most part, they have the option to 'auto-update' on their own.

Software such as those are often overlooked by alot of users, and are alot of times the most targeted by 'hackers' or malicious code writers.

A great tip mentioned earlier, that is really a must-do, is using different password for each different websites.  Especially banking/credit card/401k/etc websites.

Obviously, you don't want to use the same password if you setup an account on ShaggyBevo (which the Admin might can read in clear text), that you also use for your Online Banking.

Password Managers really make that easy, but personally I don't really "trust" password management apps, but they're probably harmless.  Instead, I just use an encrypted (GPG, not WinZip) Excel spreadsheet, to record all passwords. It's a PITA sometimes, but I rest better knowing some app isn't offloading my website passwords to some centralized database without my knowing.

GoHogs1091

Here is a great article from pcmag.com regarding their choices for the best free antivirus for 2015.  After viewing the comparison chart, scroll down towards the bottom of the page to be able to read a full review of each.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Free looks like a very interesting tool.  It shields browsers against exploit attacks, even never before seen zero day attacks.  The full review says it injects protection into Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Opera.  It protects both the browser and any add-ins.  It also protects Java.

HawgWild

FWIW - Newegg has a special on E-Set going on until Wednesday (10/7) - 1 PC 2 yr license for $19.99.

http://flash.newegg.com/product/N82E16832114054

Doug

Quote from: HawgWildFWIW - Newegg has a special on E-Set going on until Wednesday (10/7) - 1 PC 2 yr license for $19.99.

http://flash.newegg.com/product/N82E16832114054
That is an INCREDIBLE price and represents a $20 savings vs ordering it directly from Eset.com

FYI, I don't see that as a two year license, I see it as a one year. But still... to save $20 right out of the gate for a fantastic piece of software... yeah... y'all would be foolish to not take advantage of that. :)
--Doug

HawgWild

The e-mail confirmation is for 1 year but I swore I saw 2 yr on the order re-cap. Regardless, I think it was a good deal. Found 4 items not detected from my scans yesterday with Malware Bytes and Windows Defender.