Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OT rules in NFL need to be more like college

Started by HawgLife4Eva, January 17, 2016, 12:54:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgLife4Eva

Green Bay should have had a chance to touch the ball again after Arizona scored last night.

The end of regulation was so exciting and that just kind of put a damper on things. NFL needs to change their OT rules in some way. They don't have to mimic college, but at least give both sides a chance at it.

Dr. Starcs

Nflpa won't let that happen.

And they did change it just a couple of years ago to allow both teams a chance so long as the defense didnt give up a td.

theFlyingHog

I think college rules are the best. Can't see it being much more exciting than that. Easy to say as an Arkansas fan though since we own OT

TrueBlue

idochog

I just think college should start at 40. 10 yards outside fg range
I love Jesus!

NuttinItUp

The end of that Green Bay game was atrocious. Something needs to change for sure. Both teams need a shot at it.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: TrueBlue on January 17, 2016, 01:01:08 pm
Sounds like an upset Packers fan today......

I'm actually a Cowboys fan. My only attachment to the Packers is the Arkansas deep snapper that they had. (who got hurt a few games back, so that doesn't even really matter now) Really, I just hate to see both teams not get a chance in OT. Seems silly.

longpig

Yeh, sudden death via first possession TD makes no sense.
Don't be scared, be smart.

(notOM)Rebel123

The new format awards a team for playing good defense. Well, decent defense.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

longpig

New format rewards the lucky coin toss winner, punishes the unlucky coin toss loser for playing poor defense is more like it.
Don't be scared, be smart.

spiritof92

I have no problem with the NFL OT rule.  If you can't stop a team from driving down the length of the field and scoring a TD for one possession you really don't have anything to complain about.  GB needed a miracle (and I still don't think that was a legitimate catch) just to get to OT and then gave up a 75 yard play. 

Paul

college football is more entertaining in many ways.  I only watch NFL games this time of year.

jjdlc

Yes, they need to change, the NFL doesn't want 7 overtime games though.

rljjr

I would rather see the college game adopt the NFL rule. That's football. If it went the other way and no TD was scored, the kickers are almost automatic from that distance.

Of course I don't watch a ton of NFL so it doesn't really matter to me, but I do like the whole sudden death aspect of TDs.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

When both teams don't get an offensive possession, the rules and luck won the game for one team over another.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 17, 2016, 01:04:53 pm
My only attachment to the Packers is the Arkansas deep snapper that they had.

That is Brett Goode.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=brett+goode

One of the longest-term current NFL players from Arkansas. I expect he will be back on someone's roster next season.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 03:13:06 pm
When both teams don't get an offensive possession, the rules and luck won the game for one team over another.
Nah.  Defense wins championships.  GB's defense failed.

Oliver

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on January 17, 2016, 03:21:56 pm
Nah.  Defense wins championships.  GB's defense failed.

It sure is easy to say Defense wins championships when one defense never has to step on the field. 

"Defense wins championships" is such a garbage argument.  Just like the NFL OT rules. 

And I'm not a GB fan either.

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Oliver on January 17, 2016, 03:33:08 pm
It sure is easy to say Defense wins championships when one defense never has to step on the field. 

"Defense wins championships" is such a garbage argument.  Just like the NFL OT rules. 

And I'm not a GB fan either.
Well they had the option to go for 2 for the win in regulation if they didn't like the OT rules.  Everyone knew the rules, can't use them as an excuse.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: longpig on January 17, 2016, 02:47:03 pm
New format rewards the lucky coin toss winner, punishes the unlucky coin toss loser for playing poor defense is more like it.

As opposed to only having to kick a 42 yard FG if you fail to gain even a yard, like in college?

Oliver

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on January 17, 2016, 03:36:36 pm
Well they had the option to go for 2 for the win in regulation if they didn't like the OT rules.  Everyone knew the rules, can't use them as an excuse.

Because somebody knows the rules, and plays by the rules, doesn't mean the rules aren't garbage.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

On a side note, will Joey Porter be allowed to become a dirty part of the on field action today?

Don't see why not.
All the NFL experts called him out for exacerbating and possibly creating problems without a single flag or NFL admonishment.
His response to me:
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 03:38:25 pm
On a side note, will Joey Porter be allowed to become a dirty part of the on field action today?

Don't see why not.
All the NFL experts called him out for exacerbating and possibly creating problems without a single flag or NFL admonishment.
Porter was fined $10,000 by the NFL.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14577318/pittsburgh-steelers-coaches-joey-porter-mike-munchak-cincinnati-bengals-defensive-back-adam-jones-fined

spiritof92

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2016, 03:36:36 pm
As opposed to only having to kick a 42 yard FG if you fail to gain even a yard, like in college?

But, but, but...the college teams with a good kicker have an unfair advantage.  lol

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: spiritof92 on January 17, 2016, 03:43:50 pm
But, but, but...the college teams with a good kicker have an unfair advantage.  lol

Ha!

SooiecidetillNuttgone

His response to me:

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on January 17, 2016, 03:43:54 pm
Good catch.  I don't know how I missed that.
I specifically caught any NFL show I could.  Maybe I gave up too quick.

I'm a Steelers fan and still can't figure out why he wasn't flagged for being on the field. Oh well, the road will probably end today in Denver.

spiritof92

Quote from: Oliver on January 17, 2016, 03:39:19 pm
Because somebody knows the rules, and plays by the rules, doesn't mean the rules aren't garbage.

Game should have never even gone to OT.  If we're going to talk about stupid rules let's discuss the obvious subjective completion interpretations.  How many times have we seen a receiver catch a ball and then it gets knocked out as they are turning around and it's called an incompletion rather than a fumble?  Last night the GB receiver had the ball touch fingers from both his hands for a fraction of a second and it was called a completion. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oliver on January 17, 2016, 03:39:19 pm

Speaking of garbage, College OT rules are garbage.  Just a different kind of garbage.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RazorWild

Give me a break.  GB had a. Entire regulation to win the game, needed a Hail Mary just to get to OT, then gave up a 75 yd play.  I have zero problem with OT.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2016, 03:45:30 pm
I'm a Steelers fan and still can't figure out why he wasn't flagged for being on the field. Oh well, the road will probably end today in Denver.

It's Manning in a playoff game.  In cold weather.  As much as it pains me, Steelers have a great shot today.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: RazorWild on January 17, 2016, 03:47:11 pm
Give me a break.  GB had a. Entire regulation to win the game, needed a Hail Mary just to get to OT, then gave up a 75 yd play.  I have zero problem with OT.

Aaron Rodgers is now 0-7 in OT games. Those darned OT rules.  ;)

Oliver

Quote from: spiritof92 on January 17, 2016, 03:48:01 pm
Game should have never even gone to OT.  If we're going to talk about stupid rules let's discuss the obvious subjective completion interpretations.  How many times have we seen a receiver catch a ball and then it gets knocked out as they are turning around and it's called an incompletion rather than a fumble?  Last night the GB receiver had the ball touch fingers from both his hands for a fraction of a second and it was called a completion. 

I have no problem with that.  Once again, I'm NOT A GREEN BAY FAN

Oliver

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 17, 2016, 03:46:07 pm
Speaking of garbage, College OT rules are garbage.  Just a different kind of garbage.

They aren't perfect.  But at least they give both teams a chance on offense AND defense to win the game.  Much less garbage than NFL rules

Hogarusa

Quote from: RazorWild on January 17, 2016, 03:47:11 pm
Give me a break.  GB had an entire regulation to win the game, needed a Hail Mary just to get to OT, then gave up a 75 yd play.  I have zero problem with OT.

This.  Nothing needs to change
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Oliver on January 17, 2016, 03:57:49 pm
They aren't perfect.  But at least they give both teams a chance on offense AND defense to win the game.  Much less garbage than NFL rules

Well, when you give teams the ball at the 25 yard line, yeah, both teams should have a possession. But when you must go the length of the field & score a TD to prevent the other team from getting a shot, then NFL rules are fine.

Oliver

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 17, 2016, 04:02:27 pm
Well, when you give teams the ball at the 25 yard line, yeah, both teams should have a possession. But when you must go the length of the field & score a TD to prevent the other team from getting a shot, then NFL rules are fine.

I'd prefer a combo of both rules.  Kickoff to one team the NFL way and give them a chance to score.  Kickoff to the other team to give them a chance to score.  If they are both tied after that possession, it's a tie unless you are in the playoffs in which you continue doing that.

Bubba's Bruisers

If you're one of those "defense wins championships" guys, then you should love the NFL playoff system.

spiritof92

The only thing I would like to see changed is that the college OT demands 2 pt conversion attempts starting with the 1st OT rather than waiting until the 3rd. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: spiritof92 on January 17, 2016, 04:12:44 pm
The only thing I would like to see changed is that the college OT demands 2 pt conversion attempts starting with the 1st OT rather than waiting until the 3rd. 

And they should start on their own 25, not the opponents 25.  College goes to OT and then decides to stop playing the game of football.  It's baffling.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Wow.
Apparently Manning doesn't have a receiver capable of catching the dang ball.
If the Steelers win this, they need to send champagne to the Broncos receiving corps.
His response to me:

Smalltownhog95

As a football fan I've never been a fan of the NFL OT rules. As a GB fan though our Defense had a meltdown which I'm used to with Dom Capers at DC and we deserved to lose if we're going to leave Larry Fitzgerald WIDEEEEEE open. With that being said I hope the cardinals win it all. Fitzgerald deserves a Super Bowl.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Boardon Hamsay

I would prefer the NFL adopt the college OT system but since they haven't, I'd say if you want a chance in NFL OT, play better defense.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: idochog on January 17, 2016, 01:00:11 pm
I just think college should start at 40. 10 yards outside fg range

I have been saying this for years.  That way, a FG could win it, as it wouldn't be a gimme (getting the ball at the 25 is only a 42 yard FG, which today's kickers hit 75% of the time).

That said, the college OT is FAR superior to the NFL version.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 17, 2016, 12:54:59 pm
Green Bay should have had a chance to touch the ball again after Arizona scored last night.

The end of regulation was so exciting and that just kind of put a damper on things. NFL needs to change their OT rules in some way. They don't have to mimic college, but at least give both sides a chance at it.

Let the pro game continue to be the inferior product it is.

College and High School are far more entertaining games.

spiritof92

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on January 17, 2016, 07:45:59 pm
Let the pro game continue to be the inferior product it is.

College and High School are far more entertaining games.

One could counter with Arkansas vs. Nichols St or Alabama vs. Charleston Southern. 

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: spiritof92 on January 17, 2016, 08:19:17 pm
One could counter with Arkansas vs. Nichols St or Alabama vs. Charleston Southern.

Did both of those go to OT?

Geez, I must be out of the loop...

bennyl08

I like NFL overtime to a degree, but I prefer college overtimes. Not many other sports have a sudden death type of overtime. Soccer and basketball you have an extra period of time you play for and you play the full allotment. If that doesn't work, you have a shootout which is like what college football has (for soccer, i'm talking about games that can't end in a tie). Starting from the 25 is probably too easy for the NFL, but starting at the opponents 40 is something I could be down for. Either that or have a 10 minute quarter where you play the whole length of time regardless if 3 points are scored or 28 points in that time frame.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

spiritof92

Quote from: HawgLife4Eva on January 17, 2016, 08:28:05 pm
Did both of those go to OT?

Geez, I must be out of the loop...

You are since you obviously didn't read the post I quoted that stated the NFL is inferior to NCAA football.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: spiritof92 on January 18, 2016, 02:02:39 am
You are since you obviously didn't read the post I quoted that stated the NFL is inferior to NCAA football.

I did read it, and it was directly responding to the OT rules post. (....as is the entire theme of this thread.)

So, yeah..  :P