Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Titans trade Dorial Green-Beckham to Eagles

Started by bphi11ips, August 16, 2016, 06:00:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Why post in Recruiting?

First, we dodged a bullet.  Sunday he mailed in a sure TD when he quit on a route, most likely pouting about being relegated to second half duty in an exhibition game. 

More importantly, DGBs experience may show two things - how wrong the "experts" can get it, and how those experts' and fans adulation can corrupt a young man's expectations and life. 

Is DGB a bad apple?  I don't know, but I do believe the pub he got as a youngster wasn't a good thing.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Wildhog

Well, his issue has never been ability, so I wouldn't say the "experts" got it wrong.   I mean, think about how little he's actually contributed to any football team, and the guy is STILL in the NFL.

But yeah, he's been an awful waste of talent.  It's a shame, really.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

King Kong

I would imagine it would have made 2012 gone better if he had came. Possibly a bowl season. Wish it would have worked out better for Knile, Cobi and Tyler's last season.

It is of course also possible that CBB could have helped him avoid some of his mistake he has made to get to this point

HardingHog

Quote from: Wildhog on August 16, 2016, 06:15:13 pm
Well, his issue has never been ability, so I wouldn't say the "experts" got it wrong.   I mean, think about how little he's actually contributed to any football team, and the guy is STILL in the NFL.

Yeah, it's a lot harder to evaluate attitude, decision making, and work ethic than on the field talent/measurables. Saw him play football and basketball multiple times in HS and there was no doubt he was a freak of nature, so all the accolades were well deserved. Just imagine if he had the "Uncommon" gene... would've been scary

Hawgar The Horrible

Beautiful. His parents who pimped him out will soon be looking for jobs again.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on August 16, 2016, 06:15:13 pm

Define "talent" in football terms. 

"Measurables" do not equal football talent.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on August 16, 2016, 07:16:12 pm
Beautiful. His parents who pimped him out will soon be looking for jobs again.

Beckham is his foster parents name.  DGB and Michael Oher share similar backgrounds, and it's looking like both will share similarly disappointing NFL careers.  If you look deeply you may find an indictment of the pay-for-play system that now starts in middle school.

At what point do we take a hard look at the expoitation of child athletes?  At what point do we regulate it?

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 07:51:42 pm

He had scholarship offers to every school in the country.  Was drafted in the 2nd round I believe.  Is still in the NFL.  I'm not an evaluator, but I'd infer that's talent.  Lot's of players have talent with immature attitudes.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 07:56:27 pm
Beckham is his foster parents name.  DGB and Michael Oher share similar backgrounds, and it's looking like both will share similarly disappointing NFL careers.  If you look deeply you may find an indictment of the pay-for-play system that now starts in middle school.

At what point do we take a hard look at the expoitation of child athletes?  At what point do we regulate it?

Isn't Oher still playing in the NFL?  I'm thinking he was still with Ravens when they won SB too.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 07:56:27 pm

Michael Oher is such a disappointment. He is a Super Bowl Champion, and played in another.  He has played in and started 105 NFL games.

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 07:51:42 pm

I figure if you're in the NFL you've got some football talent.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on August 16, 2016, 08:17:54 pm
I figure if you're in the NFL you've got some football talent.

That's not really the question, is it? 

bphi11ips

And the mods once again show why Hogville is filming a commercial this weekend.

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 08:21:42 pm
That's not really the question, is it? 

I don't know what the hell your point is.  The story here is how he's wasting his talent, but you're trying to  push some agenda about talent evaluators.  Is this a thinly veiled "stars don't matter" thread?
1909/1964/1965/1977

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on August 16, 2016, 08:24:49 pm
I don't know what the hell your point is.  The story here is how he's wasting his talent, but you're trying to  push some agenda about talent evaluators.  Is this a thinly veiled "stars don't matter" thread?

Agenda?  Have it your way, bud. 

clutch

Quote from: Hawghiggs on August 16, 2016, 08:09:11 pm
Michael Oher is such a disappointment. He is a Super Bowl Champion, and played in another.  He has played in and started 105 NFL games.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I wouldn't say that was too disappointing.

bphi11ips

Quote from: clutch on August 16, 2016, 08:40:26 pm
That's kind of what I was thinking. I wouldn't say that was too disappointing.

You didn't watch him with the Titans, I suppose. 

Michael Oher is the reason Hugh Freeze coaches Ole Miss.  He inspired the book and the film "Blindside".  The author created the myth that left tackles must be the same size and wingspan.  Oher played right tackle for the Titans.  When he played.

Drafted in the first round, Oher is 30 and has yet to play in a Pro Bowl.   Maybe that's because his best years were with Super Bowl teams. Maybe he just didn't like playing in Tennessee.

The point was that athletes who are given a false sense of self-importance at an early age may not be well served in the long run by the adulation.  I prefer the Brandon Bullsworths of the world, but hey, I have an agenda.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 16, 2016, 09:08:07 pm
Michael Oher is the reason Hugh Freeze coaches Ole Miss.  He inspired the book and the film "Blindside".  The author created the myth that left tackles must be the same size and wingspan.  Oher played right tackle for the Titans.  When he played.

Drafted in the first round, Oher is 30 and has yet to play in a Pro Bowl.   Maybe that's because his best years were with Super Bowl teams. Maybe he just didn't like playing in Tennessee.

I agree and disagree with this.

Agree that the entitlement of young "freak" athletes does so much more harm than good in the long run.  DGB seems to fit squarely in that category.

Disagree because I think Oher's situation is vastly different than DGB's.  Nothing about Oher screams attention seeker or spoiled entitled kid.  On the contrary, he has done his very best to shy away from spotlight.  Granted, his stock coming out of college may have been overinflated by the "myth" of The Blindside, but that was the Tuoeys' doing, not his.  He's had a solid yet unspectacular career, going on 8 years now.  He's with Carolina and I read a story earlier this year indicating that he was personally recruited to sign with Carolina by Cam Newton, and the Carolina is very happy with everything he's done thus far.  So I don't think he's a bust, and even if he were a bust I don't think it's fair to lump him in with DGB.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

bennyl08

All DGB has done his first season in the NFL has have a better rookie season than most receivers ever have. Unlike rb, it usually takes a couple of years to really get your wheels at WR. He didn't have a great season, but most teams would love to get 500+ and multiple td's from a player.

Now, he needs to take that and improve on it. However, production wise, he is ahead of schedule in his NFL career. Question is how much work will he do to improve?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bphi11ips

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on August 18, 2016, 01:41:39 pm
I agree and disagree with this.

Agree that the entitlement of young "freak" athletes does so much more harm than good in the long run.  DGB seems to fit squarely in that category.

Disagree because I think Oher's situation is vastly different than DGB's.  Nothing about Oher screams attention seeker or spoiled entitled kid.  On the contrary, he has done his very best to shy away from spotlight.  Granted, his stock coming out of college may have been overinflated by the "myth" of The Blindside, but that was the Tuoeys' doing, not his.  He's had a solid yet unspectacular career, going on 8 years now.  He's with Carolina and I read a story earlier this year indicating that he was personally recruited to sign with Carolina by Cam Newton, and the Carolina is very happy with everything he's done thus far.  So I don't think he's a bust, and even if he were a bust I don't think it's fair to lump him in with DGB.

I agree Michael Oher is a different kettle of fish.  He has a 4 year deal with the Panthers worth $20M.  On the other hand, I go to every Titans home game and watched him play absolutely uninspired football.  Maybe my expectations were skewed by stories of him carrying an opposing player all the way to the team bus. 

Where DGB is concerned, he looked good at times last year.  He is an absolute specimen on the field.  But he takes a LOT of plays off.  He took one too many off last Saturday when he quit on a deep route, and Malarkey had enough.  I hope he learned his lesson and does well at Philly, but if his past is any indication, he's a slow learner.

clutch

Quote from: bphi11ips on August 18, 2016, 05:36:01 pm
I agree Michael Oher is a different kettle of fish.  He has a 4 year deal with the Panthers worth $20M.  On the other hand, I go to every Titans home game and watched him play absolutely uninspired football.  Maybe my expectations were skewed by stories of him carrying an opposing player all the way to the team bus. 

Where DGB is concerned, he looked good at times last year.  He is an absolute specimen on the field.  But he takes a LOT of plays off.  He took one too many off last Saturday when he quit on a deep route, and Malarkey had enough.  I hope he learned his lesson and does well at Philly, but if his past is any indication, he's a slow learner.

This post probably does a pretty good job of highlighting the overly high expectations for these guys. He probably really did carry an opposing player to the fence or bus or whatever it was. That was in high school though. No problem for a guy the size of Oher. People hear those types of stories though and expect it to translate over into the NFL and a lot of times it just doesn't.

Something to consider about Oher is that it might have taken him a little longer to develop. Sure he was a freak in high school, but that was because of his size. That was what he was recruited for, his natural intangibles. People forget though that he only played like a year or so of football before college. He was still learning when he entered the NFL.