2 (2%)
Troy Aikman & Joe Buck
2 (2%)
Erin Andrews
8 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 102

DLUXHOG

Who's your favorite?
this is mine...............(although I loved dandy don and like aikman a lot.........)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

oldhawg

Don't know if this survey is fair or not (not that fairness is ever an issue on Hogville)..  Most folks on here never saw or heard Don Meredith and Howard Cosell in their prime.  :)

Jackrabbit Hog

Ray Scott.  The master of letting the picture tell the story.

"Gabriel.......................Snow.......................touchdown."
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: oldhawg on June 27, 2016, 07:59:38 am
Don't know if this survey is fair or not (not that fairness is ever an issue on Hogville)..  Most folks on here never saw or heard Don Meredith and Howard Cosell in their prime.  :)
what?  the originals when "Monday Night Football" began...

DLUXHOG

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 08:55:04 am
That Pat Summerall is listed here is proper but he was even better with Tommy Brookshire.

Dandy Don has yet to be equaled..   

♫♫Turn out the lights.... the party's over....♫♫

Inhogswetrust

June 27, 2016, 09:09:54 am #5 Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:03:21 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 09:08:26 am
It's also worth remembering just how good This Week in the NFL was with Pat and Tommy.  It's hard for the youngsters here to put this in context when we have so many highlight sources available today but back in the day, that show was all we had other than the George Michael Sports Machine.

It's also worth remembering Pat was a Hog.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 09:39:46 am
I get that but when it comes to play by play or color commentary I don't care where the person went to school.  But since you raised this point, what did Summerall major in while at Arkansas?

kicking the football............

TUSKtimes

Monday Night Football was the greatest show on earth. But both Howard and Dandy Don did color commentating. Poor Frank Gifford had to play straight man to all the insanity in the booth. The game may have stunk it up at times but the show in the booth was always highly entertaining.

WPS007

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: TUSKtimes on June 27, 2016, 11:14:40 am
Monday Night Football was the greatest show on earth. But both Howard and Dandy Don did color commentating. Poor Frank Gifford had to play straight man to all the insanity in the booth. The game may have stunk it up at times but the show in the booth was always highly entertaining.

Few folks remember, but the very first year Keith Jackson was the play-by-play man.  He asked to go back to college football exclusively after that first year and Gifford took over for him.  The rest is history.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hoggusamoungus

Jack Buck and Hank Stram doing MNF games on radio.  Lots of people listened to them because they couldn't stand Howard.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 11:44:15 am
Few folks remember, but the very first year Keith Jackson was the play-by-play man.  He asked to go back to college football exclusively after that first year and Gifford took over for him.  The rest is history.

It was a bad fit. I'm sure Keith Jackson wanted to get back to where his voice dictated the game call. He was the college game voice. When Keith Jackson was teamed up with Frank Broyles, the college broadcast couldn't get any bigger or better. They get my vote for the college game. They both respected coach Bryant and Alabama, so I really enjoyed the big games they called. When you are the best at what you do, the 3 man booth for Keith on Monday Night had to be sucking the air out of the room.

But the Monday Night experience was unlike anything football had been familiar with. The best schedule on a night the players had the stage to themselves and the fans treated it like a playoff game. The fans dressed like they were all on the big stage and stars would come by the booth just to be seen and heard. Half the time Howard was even talking football and Dandy was just trying to interpret what he was saying.

The heyday broadcast of the NFL and College Football.

BigRed

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 27, 2016, 09:09:54 am
It's also worth remembering Pat was a Hog.

As was Charlie Jones. Great AFL announcer.

Hog-Corleone

Good Ole JR...Jim Ross

"It's Pandemonium, we gotta get some help down here!"
This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation.

According to Hogville, every answers is biased against the Hogs so I hate them all. 

Jackrabbit Hog

For college, Verne Lundquist and Gary Danielson.

(I kid, I kid..)

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 09:39:46 am
I get that but when it comes to play by play or color commentary I don't care where the person went to school.  But since you raised this point, what did Summerall major in while at Arkansas?

I see nothing wrong with being proud of one of my fellow Alums doing well. Plus it gives good publicity to the school and program. The most important thing for me with announcers is don't be entertainer. Simply describe what is happening and then shut up. Pat was great at that. As a broadcaster knowing how to say something is important but also when not to say something is as important.

TUSKtimes

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 01:28:56 pm
Tusk,

Keith and Frank calling the 85 Iron Bowl may have been their most memorable call ever.  When Van Tiffin hit the game winning field goal, Frank ends the game with "my heart can't stand it!"

Great game with Bo Jackson and Bobby Humphrey. Van was an amazing accurate kicker and none was more appreciated than the 52 yarder with no time left. Keith Jackson and Frank Broyles were out of breath trying to keep up with the constant change in the scoreboard. Those guys were fair and you never get a sense of who they are rooting for. They called a beauty.   

26.2Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 08:55:04 am

Dandy Don has yet to be equaled.

Tom Landry is such a perfectionist, if he was married to Raquel Welch, he'd expect her to cook.

If you needed 4 yards, you'd give the ball to Walt Garrison and he would get you 4 yards. If you needed 20 yards, Walt would get you 4 yards.

And speaking of Walt Garrison, when asked if Tom Landry ever smiles, he said, "I don't know, I've only been here nine years."

woodhog14

For college my favorites in order were/are:

Ron Franklin and Mike Gotfried (ESPN)
Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge (ESPN)
Jim Nantz and Pat Haden (CBS)
Keith Jackson and Bob Griese/Frank Broyles (ABC)

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 08:31:46 am
Ray Scott.  The master of letting the picture tell the story.

"Gabriel.......................Snow.......................touchdown."

This, Ray was the best.

Dr. Starcs

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 26.2Hog on June 27, 2016, 03:18:37 pm
Tom Landry is such a perfectionist, if he was married to Raquel Welch, he’d expect her to cook.

If you needed 4 yards, you’d give the ball to Walt Garrison and he would get you 4 yards. If you needed 20 yards, Walt would get you 4 yards.

And speaking of Walt Garrison, when asked if Tom Landry ever smiles, he said, "I don't know, I've only been here nine years.”

"Welcome to the Mile High City, ... and I really am." - Don Meredith   

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 27, 2016, 04:21:47 pm
This, Ray was the best.

I'd bet you and I are the only two on here that remember Ray calling games.

"Starr.....................Dowler.....................touchdown."

26.2Hog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 04:54:12 pm

You can make it three.  Ray Scott was outstanding.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 04:54:12 pm

I was a big Packer fan, I loved it when he was calling one of their games.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: ricepig on June 27, 2016, 05:00:50 pm
I was a big Packer fan, I loved it when he was calling one of their games.

I was a Rams fan back then (and a Cowboys fan as well) because Roman Gabriel was my man.  Not so much because of his rocket arm but more because of his super cool name.

Seemed like Ray Scott called mostly West Coast games.  I can remember him opening a broadcast with "Kezar Stadium, San Franciso, California.  49ers and Rams.  Back with kickoff after this message."

rlreev01

Don Meridith:" We're here at Mile High and so am I"!

TUSKtimes

During a Houston Oiler skull dragging on Monday Night, the cameras pan to a less than enthused oiler fan who gave the world the proverbial "bird."

Dandy Don: "He's just saying the Oilers are number one." 

allredhog

Jackrabbit and Ricepig and 26.2Hog

I loved the Packers back then and loved turning on CBS and hearing Ray Scott.  I remember Lindsey Nelson doing the Cotton Bowls back then also.  Two of the best. Now for college, Keith and Frank set the bar.
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 27, 2016, 12:34:08 am
Who's your favorite?
this is mine...............(although I loved dandy don and like aikman a lot.........)

shes hot, but whiney....a guy got his jollies off watching you undress, that ain't worth millions of dollars

PP

HawgnCorona

Quote from: DLUXHOG on June 27, 2016, 12:34:08 am
Who's your favorite?

Sexist, lol!!
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

HawgnCorona

Quote from: BigRed on June 27, 2016, 12:32:54 pm
As was Charlie Jones. Great AFL announcer.

Yes and a native of Arkansas
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Jackrabbit Hog

We have a quorum present for this meeting of the Ray Scott Fan Club. 

New Business?...........................Old Business?.............................Adjourned.

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 08:42:33 pm
We have a quorum present for this meeting of the Ray Scott Fan Club. 

New Business?...........................Old Business?.............................Adjourned.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-09-12/sports/9309130013_1_sports-broadcasting-ice-bowl-ray-scott

SamBuckhart

Don Criqui, Tom Brookshire and Pat Summerall were some of my favorites. Watched Cowboys on KSLA Shreveport and Aints on Knoe Monroe in my early years.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

Hogwild

I could listen to Vin Scully any day.

"Montana, looking, looking, looking, throwing into the endzone. Caught."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 27, 2016, 08:09:59 pm
Inhogswetrust,

No, no - they way you are taking that is not what I meant.  I enjoy the great announcers and color men - the ones who do their jobs well and always leave you wanting more.  Pat Summerall was in that class of announcer - clear, concise, factual and a pleasing voice to the ear. 

That Pat was from Arkansas is just an added extra bonus - it didn't make him a better announcer.  Pat had (and or developed) the gifts that elevated him to that special level. 

Look at this another way - Don Meredith was from SMU, Keith Jackson - Washington State, heck even Frank was from Georgia Tech.  They were the best and where they went to college wouldn't change my opinion of them at all.   

Got it. Well done.

snoblind

Quote from: allredhog on June 27, 2016, 07:25:02 pm
Jackrabbit and Ricepig and 26.2Hog

I loved the Packers back then and loved turning on CBS and hearing Ray Scott.  I remember Lindsey Nelson doing the Cotton Bowls back then also.  Two of the best. Now for college, Keith and Frank set the bar.

No question I listened to him and I was a Packers fan late 60's and early 70's before I switched to the Steelers.  But I can't remember his call.  Must have been the, ah, well, never mind ...

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 27, 2016, 07:27:46 pm
shes hot, but whiney....a guy got his jollies off watching you undress, that ain't worth millions of dollars

PP

PP I don't normally call BS on a misinformed post. What is worth millions is a creep following a woman around and asking a major hotel chain at the desk to please get him a room next to Ms Andrews and those idiots doing it. If it was your wife you wouldn't want some fricking creep being able to walk in and request a room next to her when he has no idea where her room was, would you? Those idiots need to learn an expensive lesson. My understanding is that was not a corporate owned hotel but a franchised.....that guy needs to lose his franchise. Hell you could be there with your girlfriend and they might tell your wife what room you are in!!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Hawgey-Davidson

Charlie Jones. Ft Smith born. Law degree from U of A.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgey-Davidson on June 28, 2016, 02:33:48 pm
Charlie Jones. Ft Smith born. Law degree from U of A.

Another excellent choice.

gawntrail

Michaels, Fouts, and Miller ... MNF ('00-'01)