Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AState message board seriously humiliating itself over Miami cancellation...

Started by Bogghawg, September 06, 2017, 01:31:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: gchamblee on September 06, 2017, 04:24:05 pm
Based on AStates reaction to this cancellation, I would fear for the Miami players safety if they had won the game and been stranded in Jonesboro. The ASU fans are showing no ability to engage rational thought and they want a team that just beat them to stay in local motels for an extended period of time? LMAO yah ok.

The Jamie Bee would have cleared out some meth heads for them......

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I don't know if it's been said already, because I didn't read this, but every time we start a thread about them it gives them thrills over there...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

sowmonella

Quote from: zane on September 06, 2017, 03:47:15 pm
You're describing 3% of ASU's fan base. Every university has that 3%.

Pump the brakes.
I have to disagree this time Zane. I read the entire thread on Coach Broyles and it was truly classless.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

gchamblee

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on September 06, 2017, 04:37:49 pm
I don't know if it's been said already, because I didn't read this, but every time we start a thread about them it gives them thrills over there...

Even when we are laughing at them?

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on September 06, 2017, 05:02:07 pm
Their anger is understandable.

Playing against Miami was ASU's last chance this season to get a meaningful win.

All wins are meaningful.

IMO the game should not be played simply because it is unfair to the players and coaches knowing what is happening back home , but I can see why they feel slighted a little after reading this on another message board.

UCF - Moving home game from Saturday to Friday.
FIU - Moving home game to Birmingham.
USF - Moved kickoff at UConn on Saturday up to 10:30 am.
FAU - Released a statement saying they will honor their commitment at Wisconsin.
Miami - Declined an offer to move game to Friday.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

hog of steele

Miami is running and using the hurricane as an excuse. That is their contractual right but ASU has a reason to be salty. Not only is this a big game for the season, having a home game against miami helps legitimize their credentials. If they want to be the Boise of the south, this is the kind of game they need to win at home.

Seminole Indian

Their HC apparently wanted them to buy out the game, and I'm sure he let the decision makers know the downsides of a loss by a totally distracted team.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

PossumFan

Maybe I'm just ASU trash like y'all been talking about, but I can't help but wonder if Miami would have canceled this weekend had they been playing at, say, Ohio State.

Seminole Indian

Seminole Indian

Quote from: PossumFan on September 06, 2017, 05:49:14 pm
Maybe I'm just ASU trash like y'all been talking about, but I can't help but wonder if Miami would have canceled this weekend had they been playing at, say, Ohio State.

There is absolutely no doubt that the risk of a loss was a factor in the decision. I can see why they did not want to put their players or coaches in a position where they could not be 100% focused.

I just hope none of those players, coaches or fans that would have been out of harms way gets hurt.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Karma on September 06, 2017, 02:08:04 pm
I generally root for ASU because they are from Arkansas and all. But reading that board makes it really tough to do. They think Miami is afraid of them. And the Razorback hate is amazing.

This is not news for those who live in NE Arkansas. I affectionately call them "the militants".
And they do believe the UA has prevented them from becoming an elite national power in football. That's not an exaggeration.

HogCzar1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 05:47:27 pm
Their HC apparently wanted them to buy out the game, and I'm sure he let the decision makers know the downsides of a loss by a totally distracted team.

Miami had nothing to gain by playing the game. The line was Miami -14 or -15 last time I looked. The idea that they would be distracted is legit. Who wouldn't be?

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 05:57:11 pm
There is absolutely no doubt that the risk of a loss was a factor in the decision. I can see why they did not want to put their players or coaches in a position where they could not be 100% focused.

I just hope none of those players, coaches or fans that would have been out of harms way gets hurt.

Never mind the fact that the coaches, support staff, and players had family back home that might need them during a predicted catastrophic weather event. If you were a coach or player (60+ from the state of a Florida) for Miami, where would your focus be...on the game or your family back home trying to ride out a Cat-5 hurricane?

I guess the "Faith, family, & football" slogan only applies to the Red wolves?
To attribute any portion of the decision not to play as being "afraid to lose" is ludicrous.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Seminole Indian

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 06, 2017, 08:02:21 pm
Never mind the fact that the coaches, support staff, and players had family back home that might need them during a predicted catastrophic weather event. If you were a coach or player (60+ from the state of a Florida) for Miami, where would your focus be...on the game or your family back home trying to ride out a Cat-5 hurricane?

I guess the "Faith, family, & football" slogan only applies to the Red wolves?
To attribute any portion of the decision not to play as being "afraid to lose" is ludicrous.
What is wrong with you people today, I said the game should not be played anytime or any place this week, on another thread here.

Part of the reason I though that, was the school also owes it to their players and coaches not to put them in a game when  they cannot be 100% into it, and they could have done so. Other schools in the same boat are, and I posted on another message board that IMO they were wrong.

Has nothing to do with being afraid to lose, and for the record Miami did offer to reschedule this year but the only date available for them was the weekend after A-State played GaSo in a mid-week game.

kodiakisland

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 05:30:35 pm
All wins are meaningful.

IMO the game should not be played simply because it is unfair to the players and coaches knowing what is happening back home , but I can see why they feel slighted a little after reading this on another message board.

UCF - Moving home game from Saturday to Friday.
FIU - Moving home game to Birmingham.
USF - Moved kickoff at UConn on Saturday up to 10:30 am.
FAU - Released a statement saying they will honor their commitment at Wisconsin.
Miami - Declined an offer to move game to Friday.

What are FSU and UF doing?  I'd think those two schools are a bit more comparable to Miami than using the smaller Florida schools who can't afford not to play.

Personally, I have no problem with either decision.  If a Florida school does or does not want to play, it should be their choice.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Seminole Indian

They changed times of the games, but they were home games against teams they were heavy favorites over.

I have linked an article about what each school is doing on the General Sports form.

These options were available to Miami but they decided it was better to cancel.

(notOM)Rebel123

"
Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 06, 2017, 05:57:11 pm
There is absolutely no doubt that the risk of a loss was a factor in the decision.

I was responding to your comment that implied Miami is afraid of losing to ASU.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on September 07, 2017, 06:46:30 am
"
I was responding to your comment that implied Miami is afraid of losing to ASU.

I don't recall saying they were afraid but not putting a very a distracted team on the road was certainly a factor. That is borne out by the fact that every issue they mentioned was  addressed, and every other Florida school in the same boat, chose one of those options.

I think they made the right choice, for ALL the right reasons.

The Boar War

I never believed Miami would come to play in Jonesboro.  It doesn't have anything to do with being afraid to play ASU but it never made any sense to me.  Outside of a win what does Miami have to gain from playing a regionally broadcasted game against a Sun Belt team in the middle of nowhere? 

I wonder how many times Miami tried to buy out the location of the game?  Apparently Missouri tried to do that multiple times before they eventually had to play in Jonesboro.

I'm cynical by nature so I tend to believe that if Miami was playing at Notre Dame or USC that the game would still be on.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: The Boar War on September 07, 2017, 08:07:05 am
I never believed Miami would come to play in Jonesboro.  It doesn't have anything to do with being afraid to play ASU but it never made any sense to me.  Outside of a win what does Miami have to gain from playing a regionally broadcasted game against a Sun Belt team in the middle of nowhere? 

I wonder how many times Miami tried to buy out the location of the game?  Apparently Missouri tried to do that multiple times before they eventually had to play in Jonesboro.

I'm cynical by nature so I tend to believe that if Miami was playing at Notre Dame or USC that the game would still be on.

A-State's AD  was asked yesterday if Miami had try to by out the game, and he said "No".  I have a linked to the broadcast here somewhere.

Miami's AD said yesterday that like A-State their OOC schedule was complete for a few years, but they would reschedule the game if A-State wanted them to.

A-States AD has requested that the SBC approach the NCAA about allowing them to play 13 games next year, to allow them to play Miami but he is not optimistic (I'm not going to get into the down-sides of playing Alabama and an even better Miami in the same year).

Missouri just wanted to move the game to another location in Missouri, at that locations expense, and actually make A-State more money in the process, not buy it out.

A-State will only play non-return games for around 2 million per game, other wise you come to Jonesboro, one for one. Have turned down several 2-1 offers by P5', and will continue to do so.

They have said their ideal schedule is to play one non-return game against a top P5 (Alabama, Nebraska, USC, etc) then fill out their OOC schedule with G5's, and FCS.

If the less well-heeled P5's want to sign on, so be it.

hog of steele

assuming they could get paid for the inequality, they should take 2-1 games. Getting major teams to your field is a program builder. I graduate from UA and live in NE Ark. I was thinking about going to the Miami game. It would have been a big deal for me and if you get enough of those, you start to build some fans in your region that would otherwise be indifferent.

hawkhawg

ASU thinks that Miami cancelled because they were afraid of ASU? And people think we are delusional.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2017, 12:09:02 pm
ASU thinks that Miami cancelled because they were afraid of ASU? And people think we are delusional.
All fans are delusional.

hawkhawg

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 07, 2017, 12:14:54 pm
All fans are delusional.

There are plenty of Fans that have rational expectations of their teams and know their team's place in the College Football Landscape.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: hawkhawg on September 07, 2017, 12:17:01 pm
There are plenty of Fans that have rational expectations of their teams and know their team's place in the College Football Landscape.
I've never met one.

holeinthewall

Quote from: The Boar War on September 07, 2017, 08:07:05 am

Miami played at App State last year and play at Toledo next year.  So coming to ASU is no different than those 2 teams.

Dropkick

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 07, 2017, 02:29:35 am
What are FSU and UF doing?  I'd think those two schools are a bit more comparable to Miami than using the smaller Florida schools who can't afford not to play.

Personally, I have no problem with either decision.  If a Florida school does or does not want to play, it should be their choice.
No comparison regarding UF and FSU. Gainesville and Tallahassee are not near as vulnerable as Miami.

Dropkick

I have to laugh every time a Red Wolf homer starts blathering about how other teams fear them. The lunatic fringe portion of ASU's fan base is acting childish because they are disappointed.

LZH

Just as a follow-up, the news just listed the D1 games for Florida teams that have cancelled or moved their game times. The Arkansas state Miami game was listed as being played in Miami LOL. I thought that was pretty funny in didn't know if that was on purpose or not. They didn't list Florida International or Florida Atlantic or whoever it was playing an out-of-town game as being at home, they listed it as at whatever school they're playing.

hobhog

If I had a family member playing at the "U" I'd want them going to Jonesboro.....

kodiakisland

Quote from: Dropkick on September 07, 2017, 02:31:05 pm
No comparison regarding UF and FSU. Gainesville and Tallahassee are not near as vulnerable as Miami.

They're all vulnerable since they have no idea what part of Florida will actually be hit.  UF and FSU canceled their game.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Dropkick on September 07, 2017, 02:34:23 pm
I have to laugh every time a Red Wolf homer starts blathering about how other teams fear them. The lunatic fringe portion of ASU's fan base is acting childish because they are disappointed.

Exactly. Sure, it sucks for ASU & the Jonesboro business community.
But seriously are they too stupid to realize the impact of Irma?
The "afraid to play us" mentality is insane.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Dropkick on September 07, 2017, 02:34:23 pm

There is no way that Miami was afraid of ASU. That is something easy to admit. But I am sure that had Miami been scheduled to play the hogs this Saturday and cancelled the reactions here would mirror those of the Red Wolves fan base. Anyone who denies that is delusional or just an outright lying sack of crap.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: kodiakisland on September 07, 2017, 07:55:13 pm
They're all vulnerable since they have no idea what part of Florida will actually be hit.  UF and FSU canceled their game.

South Florida cancelled their trip to UConn citing travel concerns.
Charlie must be scared of UConn ;)

Michaelt

Florida State has cancelled their game against Louisiana-Monroe
Florida has cancelled their game against Northern Colorado
UCF has cancelled their game against Memphis
USF has cancelled their trip to UConn

Florida Atlantic (traveling to Wisconsin) seems to be the only Florida school that is still playing this weekend.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Seminole Indian

UCF's game against Memphis was at their place, not an away game, and Memphis's team and cheerleaders were already in Florida. Should be able to return today.....hopefully.

Florida St. was scheduled to play ULM.

Michaelt

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 08, 2017, 08:46:08 am
UCF's game against Memphis was at their place, not an away game, and Memphis's team and cheerleaders were already in Florida. Should be able to return today.....hopefully.

Florida St. was scheduled to play  ULM.

According to ESPN.com;

Also on Thursday, the Memphis-UCF game scheduled for Friday in Orlando was canceled.

Thanks for the Louisiana Monroe change...I read it wrong before I posted.

Seminole Indian

Right, UCF was not traveling to Memphis, and hope the Memphis team and cheerleaders get out today.

Michaelt

Quote from: Seminole Indian on September 08, 2017, 08:53:40 am
Right, UCF was not traveling to Memphis, and hope the Memphis team and cheerleaders get out today.

Ahh I gotcha now...thanks for the clarification!

Michaelt

I believe as it's getting closer and the projected paths are starting to get more concrete, people are starting to realize just how dangerous of a storm this hurricane has the potential to be. I saw a report of the latest path that shows the possibilty of Irma still being a Cat 2 hurricane as it crosses the Florida/Georgia border early Monday?

Millions of people have evacuated Southern Florida into Southern Georgia, and now there's a small chance that mandatory evacuations will start in Southern Georgia. There is not a hotel room to be found in the state of Georgia, so these people (if evacuated) will have to travel further north/west into Alabama, Tennessee, etc., plus the additions of all the Georgia residents that might be evacuated as well.

Seminole Indian

When they start using "Catastrophic", think they got everyone's attention.

HogCzar1

Quote from: GolfNut57 on September 07, 2017, 11:30:53 pm
There is no way that Miami was afraid of ASU. That is something easy to admit. But I am sure that had Miami been scheduled to play the hogs this Saturday and cancelled the reactions here would mirror those of the Red Wolves fan base. Anyone who denies that is delusional or just an outright lying sack of crap.

[/quo
Quote from: GolfNut57 link=topic=636769.msg10940528#msg10940528

date=
quote author=GolfNut57 link=topic=636769.msg10940528#msg10940528 date=1504845053]

As I said in another thread. I just simply disagree with this. As an example, I don't think you would have seen the leader of this message board refer to an opponent as a coward for placing safety ahead of playing a single football game. Contrast that with the initial reaction of the ASU board moderator following the decision. Would there have been a few idiots react that way? Sure. But, not on the level we saw from the ASU board.

And, it was also referenced in a letter to the editor in today's Jonesboro Sun about how one reader was not happy with how some of the ASU fans reacted locally.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HogCzar1 on September 08, 2017, 04:47:23 pm

As I said in another thread. I just simply disagree with this. As an example, I don't think you would have seen the leader of this message board refer to an opponent as a coward for placing safety ahead of playing a single football game. Contrast that with the initial reaction of the ASU board moderator following the decision. Would there have been a few idiots react that way? Sure. But, not on the level we saw from the ASU board.

And, it was also referenced in a letter to the editor in today's Jonesboro Sun about how one reader was not happy with how some of the ASU fans reacted locally.

Sweet Feet

I get the disappointment, but thats just classless by the fans. Its a hurricane of biblical proportions and you are worried about a game you are going to lose anyway. Thats ignorant as hell

GolfNut57

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 08, 2017, 11:33:57 pm
I get the disappointment, but thats just classless by the fans. Its a hurricane of biblical proportions and you are worried about a game you are going to lose anyway. Thats ignorant as hell

Ironically.......some of the fans of Miami did the very same thing last year when FL had to move the date of the LSU game due to last years hurricane. The Canes fans blasted FL for not taking LSU's offer to move the game from Gainesville to Baton Rouge. So they are certainly full of hypocrisy down there.

http://miami.247sports.com/Board/92/Contents/UF-Biggest-Ever-48066472

http://scout.com/college/miami/Board/104162/Contents/UiF-versus-LU-postponed-54684290

http://miami.247sports.com/Board/92/Contents/Did-Florida-just-cancelled-their-game-48043726
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorbackers on September 06, 2017, 01:32:46 pm
That's because their fanbase is insane.

But what else can you expect from the Boise State of the South?

All four of them..................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: phadedhawg on September 06, 2017, 02:19:20 pm
I can understand the frustration.  There is very little chance Irma will make landfall in Jonesboro.  Seems kinda shortsighted to cancel the game over a storm in another region of the country. 

When someone might be worried about their home and family getting blown away and killed by a hurricane then that is more important to focus on than a silly football game. No matter where the game is played.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

holeinthewall

Miami -FSU moved form this weekend to Oct 7
UCF -GT scheduled for this weekend @ UCF cancelled will not be made up. 

Doesn't look like the Bucaneers will play in Tampa this weekend
Florida -Tenn not decided yet if they will play.

The big losers are UCF and ASU who lose home games against ACC teams.  Maybe NCAA will offer hem a 13th game next year and they can play week 0 or whatever the hell the August start date is being called.