Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chancellor Steinmetz Message To Jeff Long

Started by The NewEra, November 09, 2017, 08:09:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The NewEra

I heavily suspect Jeff Long's appearance today during the board meeting was as much about optics and punishment to Jeff Long as anything.  It's my belief that Steinmetz attitude was; You've put me in this position Jeff, it's your doing and you are going to be the face for all the photos and video surrounding this drama.  Folks in his position don't like this negative pub one bit and you can bet he hated every second of it.  The fact he was never called before the board says it all to me.

Steinmetz played this perfectly I believe.  There were a bunch of message sent to Long by this one measure alone.  Well done Chancellor!

PORKULATOR

So that's what you believe in. Ok
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😅
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

The NewEra

Boardon Hamsay

Welcome to the scotoma buffet here at Hogville.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 08:09:48 pm
I heavily suspect Jeff Long's appearance today during the board meeting was as much about optics and punishment to Jeff Long as anything.  It's my belief that Steinmetz attitude was; You've put me in this position Jeff, it's your doing and you are going to be the face for all the photos and video surrounding this drama.  Folks in his position don't like this negative pub one bit and you can bet he hated every second of it.  The fact he was never called before the board says it all to me.

Steinmetz played this perfectly I believe.  There were a bunch of message sent to Long by this one measure alone.  Well done Chancellor!

I could actually see that being close to true.

hogginbama

And some media hack will run with the OP's opinion as the absolute gospel.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

EastexHawg

When I hit Google on my phone the first thing that pops up is a picture of Long with a headline that the Board "took no action" on him.  That has to embarrass and chap him...the very mention that the situation has gotten to the point that something could happen to him.

I won't be even slightly surprised if he starts looking around for another job.  Or maybe I am just hoping...

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 08:41:56 pm
When I hit Google on my phone the first thing that pops up is a picture of Long with a headline that the Board "took no action" on him.  That has to embarrass and chap him...the very mention that the situation has gotten to the point that something could happen to him.

I won't be even slightly surprised if he starts looking around for another job.  Or maybe I am just hoping...

Probably.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Oklahawg

What would chap you is being summoned - indicates that you have to fight for your job, right? - but don't get to answer any questions.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

idochog

I love Jesus!

East Clintwood

I think he's been looking for awhile now but he can't find anybody that has as high opinion of him as he does himself.  No takers.

I hope he finds one soon, real soon.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

The NewEra

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 09, 2017, 08:46:37 pm
What would chap you is being summoned - indicates that you have to fight for your job, right? - but don't get to answer any questions.

Yes, and now he doesn't even know everything that was said by the board or the Chancellor.

NuttinItUp

hawg IQ

Chancellor needs the be careful he don't become the person in the cross hairs before it's over. Listen if you believe Jeff Longs gives a crap about football and winning, well he don't . He cares about j long. BB was the wrong man for Arkansas, most fans knew that . BP needed replaced with another BP type, not a big 10 type. SEC has premium coaches out the azz . You can't just Polly Anna through ? But mainly you gotta coach out you your back side to just compete. Not happening and it's on J long .
go hogs go !

jgphillips3

Quite humbling don't you think?  When you think you have power and those who really do have power order you to sit around and wait like a peon...that would have to make an impression one would think.  A clear message without one word being spoken.  I guess we will now see how well he listens.

The NewEra

Quote from: jgphillips3 on November 09, 2017, 09:21:32 pm
Quite humbling don't you think?  When you think you have power and those who really do have power order you to sit around and wait like a peon...that would have to make an impression one would think.  A clear message without one word being spoken.  I guess we will now see how well he listens.

Quite humbling indeed.

island hog

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 09, 2017, 09:20:06 pm
Chancellor needs the be careful he don't become the person in the cross hairs before it's over. Listen if you believe Jeff Longs gives a crap about football and winning, well he don't . He cares about j long. BB was the wrong man for Arkansas, most fans knew that . BP needed replaced with another BP type, not a big 10 type. SEC has premium coaches out the azz . You can't just Polly Anna through ? But mainly you gotta coach out you your back side to just compete. Not happening and it's on J long .
"most fans knew this"?  Really?  Stretching there a little wouldn't you say.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The NewEra on November 09, 2017, 08:09:48 pm

Not a terrible take.  I personally believe a theory Bo posed today:  Steinmetz just wanted Jeff on standby for questions. 

Is it routing for the chancellor to be part of the BOT meetings? 

EastexHawg

Ah, yes, the battle for street cred will be interesting to behold.  Some of the people who have been dead wrong all along will try to create fascinating scenarios in which they are really right and the people who have nailed it from the beginning are really wrong.  Should be fun.

I couldn't care less who is right or wrong as Long as this Long national nightmare is soon over.

island hog

Maybe he was just there in case there were questions about the stadium expansion

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: island hog on November 09, 2017, 09:52:35 pm
Maybe he was just there in case there were questions about the stadium expansion

Most likely. 

Paul

ChicoHog

Quote from: hawg IQ on November 09, 2017, 09:20:06 pm
SEC used to have a bunch of premium coaches.  Now there are just a few; Saban, maybe Smart but too early to tell, Mullen is pretty good but that's about it.  Way too soon to tell on most of them.  Sumlin, BB, Malzahn, Odom, Oregron, etc., are all mediocre at best.  Of course UF, Mississippi and Tenner (pretty sure) are open as their coaches have failed either on or off the field. 

The NewEra

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 09, 2017, 09:48:48 pm
Not a terrible take.  I personally believe a theory Bo posed today:  Steinmetz just wanted Jeff on standby for questions. 

I don't know about Steinmetz. I do believe the Executive Session is a little out of the norm.

Farmer Hogget

It's hilarious to hear the fake news you guys invent.  You hate Jeff Long and so you assume everyone else does so you make up crap that fits your narrative.  I'm certain that nothing you've speculated is actually the truth.  Not one of you knows a darn thing!

jkstock04

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 09, 2017, 09:50:30 pm
Ah, yes, the battle for street cred will be interesting to behold.  Some of the people who have been dead wrong all along will try to create fascinating scenarios in which they are really right and the people who have nailed it from the beginning are really wrong.  Should be fun.

I couldn't care less who is right or wrong as Long as this Long national nightmare is soon over.
Interesting how this works. These same people have somehow managed to spin the Bielema saga completely around where they weren't actually wrong about Bielema...they just didn't turn out to be right in the end either.

And you were still wrong at the beginning...just because it turned out like you said doesn't mean anything. Just a crazy, lucky guess.

This is really the way some people's minds work.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on November 09, 2017, 10:16:56 pm
It's hilarious to hear the fake news you guys invent.  You hate Jeff Long and so you assume everyone else does so you make up crap that fits your narrative.  I'm certain that nothing you've speculated is actually the truth.  Not one of you knows a darn thing!
I honestly have no idea what was discussed in executive session.  But if they only go into executive session to discuss personnel issues, who do you think they were talking about?

The NewEra

Speaking of fake news. I challenge you to find one instance of me saying I hate Jeff Long.

BadHog

Hmmm.... interesting topic to post. I mean, about Long even being at the meeting.

Why was he there? Was he asked to be there? By the BOT? Did Steinmetz drag his ass down to LR? Answers to these questions would address much of the speculation on this board about Long and his future.

There is always an executive session for the twice a year meeting. Just doesn't usually last 3 hours.

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

MaconBacon

This is an easy read. Its just a precursor of what the powers that be expect him to do at the end of the season. JL does the deed to save his own job. 25-30K plastic units shown on TV in the stands just locked the deal.

moses_007

Abolutely right.  No one on this board has a clue what's going to happen.  Nothing may happen. Both Long and Beilema could be back next season.  We just don't know.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Paul on November 09, 2017, 09:56:11 pm
I have a friend with the same family name & he's Jewish

Yikes! German and Jewish? That seems antithetical

BadHog

Quote from: MaconBacon on November 09, 2017, 10:54:41 pm
This is an easy read. Its just a precursor of what the powers that be expect him to do at the end of the season. JL does the deed to save his own job. 25-30K plastic units shown on TV in the stands just locked the deal.

I don't think there is a job to be saved any LONGer.

I anticipate some really LONG threads about this subject.

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

MikePiazza

I saw Steinmetz in a restaurant in Fayetteville this evening, and he looked less than enthused. Rough day for the chancellor.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 09, 2017, 09:12:37 pm
Is Steinmetz German?

Ancestry.com says he could be German or Jewish (Ashkenazic).  One clue could be his and his two son's given names: Joseph, Jacob, and Adam.  All prominent Old Testament names.  Or not.

rzrbackramsfan

ShadowHawg

Stadium expansion figures would be more likely.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: BadHog on November 09, 2017, 10:31:25 pm
Hmmm.... interesting topic to post. I mean, about Long even being at the meeting.

Why was he there? Was he asked to be there? By the BOT? Did Steinmetz drag his ass down to LR? Answers to these questions would address much of the speculation on this board about Long and his future.

There is always an executive session for the twice a year meeting. Just doesn't usually last 3 hours.

Saw something on this board earlier that stated Long was there at the bidding of Chancellor Steimmetz.

Count Hogula

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on November 09, 2017, 11:32:13 pm
Ancestry.com says he could be German or Jewish (Ashkenazic).  One clue could be his and his two son's given names: Joseph, Jacob, and Adam.  All prominent Old Testament names.  Or not.

Correct, Steinmetz is a German Surname. It is also Jewish.

Many Jewish people have German Surnames.

sigpooie

Problems with long are too many to list here, sweetheart. You sound like someone who would work for him, so I'll leave it at that.
But, taking the entire program from the top 20 didn't help...I unlike you, know a few peope who worked with him at pitt. They don't miss his budget padding azz at all. So you won't either.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Kevin

long going & not going in the room, is worse than him going & going in the room.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Kevin on November 10, 2017, 06:20:35 am
long going & not going in the room, is worse than him going & going in the room.

^^^this
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

nwahogfan1

If Long wants to stay at Arkansas then he will gather info from boosters, fans and his superiors and do what is best for all.  Just because he is not on this board telling us his mind doesn't mean he isn't doing anything. Let's wait it out.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: BadHog on November 09, 2017, 10:31:25 pm

The BOT meets more than twice per year.

There are five regularly scheduled meetings plus special meetings as needed.

ricepig

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 09, 2017, 09:48:48 pm

Quote from: Kevin on November 10, 2017, 06:20:35 am

Not necessarily, it depends on who asked him to come to the meeting. If he was there at Steinmetz request, then not really, if the Board asked him to be there, then he would have been on the agenda. As has been explained numerous times, the Board deals with Bobbitt and the various Chancellors, not with their employees,  unless it's a personnel issue and if any action is taken, it must be done in a public vote.

If you are alluding to the public perception of him being there, and just cooling his heels, then yeah, but that's no different than what is going on the message boards and airwaves these days.

Bacons Rebellion

The NewEra

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/nov/10/ua-board-meets-long-sits-outside/

"President Bobbitt said "anytime we go into executive session, it's almost always about job performance." When asked whether the latter session was about Steinmetz's job performance, he said, "Yeah, anytime I get holed in there, it's about mine, and anytime anyone else does, you know, you can read what the board states as the rationale of going into executive session."
Executive sessions are closed to the public and are for consideration of employment, appointment, promotion, demotion, disciplining or resignation of public officers or employees, according to state law.
Bobbitt would not comment further."

Meanwhile Jeff Long is reading the same page in his notebook for four hours and checking text messages while photos are being snapped and video's taken.  He knows the executive sessions deal primarily with employment issues and his boss is having to answer tough questions from the board.

It's doubtful the session was called to discuss a promotion .

Dark Helmet Hog

It's always possible BOT members requested he be on standby.

hawgfan4life

Every hire Long made was considered a good hire at the time by an overwhelming majority.  He is highly respected for his courage and professionalism with the Petrino actions and respected for his work on the selection committee.  It is not his job to win football games.  BB was a homerun hire in giant proportions around the nation when it occurred.  Winning was/is BB's job.  Long knows what needs to occur.  Too much is being made about him.