Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

THE RECRUITING GUY : Pelphrey keeping an eye trained on Memphis talent

Started by Tomhog™, August 28, 2007, 08:54:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Tomcat on August 28, 2007, 08:54:36 am

link

Pel is sharp enough to know there is a bevvy of talent in Memphis.  He knows the pipeline there was instrumental in Arkansas' past success, and would be vital for future success.

He has also gotten a good lead on Dallas & Oklahoma City talent which will manufacture several of the top players in the Country in the 09' Class.  Keep a eye on the below list:

Shawn Williams (Duncanville, TX) and his AAU teamate Nolan Dennis (Richland Hills, TX)

Daniel Orton (Oklahoma City, OK) Xavier Henry (Oklahoma City, OK)

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HognotinMemphis

Well, he's already whiffed on the top prospect here, who has his choices narrowed to Memphis, TN, Duke and one other...I think it's Vandy.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Tony Sloprano

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 04, 2007, 06:54:56 am
Well, he's already whiffed on the top prospect here, who has his choices narrowed to Memphis, TN, Duke and one other...I think it's Vandy.

Very enlightning. Do stop by and share more of your vast knowledge of recruiting.

Wu Tang Clan

I knew Pel would not be able to recruit in 2008.  He is not a big enough name to come in late and get a top tier recruiting class.  AJ Walton is currently favoring Baylor and I hope that something changes real soon. 

mbgrulz

isn't walton an 09 recruit? if so, i have no fear of baylor beating us out of one of our own kids. he has till next year to figure out what a bone head choice that would be.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Tomcat on September 04, 2007, 03:57:41 pm
AJ Walton sets his sights too low if he favors Baylor.  He is a 2009 recruit and Arkansas will have two years under Pel by then to make an impression.  Give it time.
Quote from: Tomcat on September 04, 2007, 03:57:41 pm
AJ Walton sets his sights too low if he favors Baylor.  He is a 2009 recruit and Arkansas will have two years under Pel by then to make an impression.  Give it time.
Quote from: mbgrulz on September 04, 2007, 12:50:58 pm
isn't walton an 09 recruit? if so, i have no fear of baylor beating us out of one of our own kids. he has till next year to figure out what a bone head choice that would be.

This is basketball and not football recruiting.  Most players in basketball commit early.  Due to some ties to the state I still think that AJ is Arkansas to lose, but Baylor has apparently done a better job recruiting him.  Baylor is building a strong basketball program if you follow college basketball.  Their last three classes and including this one will be better than what Arkansas has done. 

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Tony Sloprano on September 04, 2007, 07:57:36 am

Very enlightning. Do stop by and share more of your vast knowledge of recruiting.

If you knew anything, you'd know who I am talking about.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mbgrulz

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 05, 2007, 03:18:24 pm
Quote from: Tony Sloprano on September 04, 2007, 07:57:36 am

well, i keep up with bb recruiting pretty hard core, and i don't know what you are talking about. and PS - its not a whiff if you barley got on the guys radar and he chose one of his favorites.

The_Bionic_Pig

I am assuming your referring to SG Elliot Williams?   The only slight connection of Mr. Williams to Arkansas was that he and Hog Verbal Terrence Joyner played on the same AAU squad "M33M Ballers" other than that,  the Hogs were never seriously considered.  He plans to visit Duke then Virginia this week with his last 2 visit's being Tennessee & hometown Memphis for the final visits in October.  Its quite obvious where he will sign.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mbgrulz

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 05, 2007, 08:21:50 pm

I am assuming your referring to SG Elliot Williams?   The only slight connection of Mr. Williams to Arkansas was that he and Hog Verbal Terrence Joyner played on the same AAU squad "M33M Ballers" other than that,  the Hogs were never seriously considered.  He plans to visit Duke then Virginia this week with his last 2 visit's being Tennessee & hometown Memphis for the final visits in October.  Its quite obvious where he will sign.

thats what i thought. thats like saying that we whiffed on renardo sidney. he mentioned us at one time, so that means he is ours to lose and if we don't get him our coach is failing.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 05, 2007, 08:21:50 pm

That's the boy. If you are out of state, you always have only a "slight connection" to a school. You make that connection strong by recruiting, don't you?

bigguy551122

Quote from: Tomhog™ on September 04, 2007, 03:57:41 pm

tomhog about the 2oo9 class in arkansas who do you see being the overall better player aj walton or fred gulley ? i have been watching  fred since he was about 9 but i have never seen aj play.
perfection is all i expect.

Wu Tang Clan

Baylor's recruitng class will be much more highly regarded than Arkansas just like it was the past 2 years, ever since Drew stepped in.  I think AJ stays in state but only because of his connections to the U of A.   Baylor is clearly outrecruiting Arkansas for prospects.   

HawgG

Still taking the wait and see approach with this staff's basketball recruiting.

Back to the MLB forum for me until it is time to share my thoughts on this forum once again.

BTW the SEC is really loading up with plenty of talent for the '08 class and did great for the '07 class as well.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on September 10, 2007, 01:53:41 am

Baylor's recruitng class will be much more highly regarded than Arkansas just like it was the past 2 years, ever since Drew stepped in.  I think AJ stays in state but only because of his connections to the U of A.   Baylor is clearly outrecruiting Arkansas for prospects.  

If you would have read what he said to a independent reporter (None UA affiliated) in the last interview this weekend, you would have thought A.J. Walton was Jim Youngblood (He loves this state and refers to himself as a Arkansas boy) and Baylor is far from outrecruiting Coach Pelphrey for his services.   He has yet to visit Fayetteville WTC so I would stop assuming just based on the words from his own mouth.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

ntubjr

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 10, 2007, 10:34:15 pm

Baylor's recruitng class will be much more highly regarded than Arkansas just like it was the past 2 years, ever since Drew stepped in.  I think AJ stays in state but only because of his connections to the U of A.   Baylor is clearly outrecruiting Arkansas for prospects.  

If you would have read what he said to a independent reporter (None UA affiliated) in the last interview this weekend, you would have thought A.J. Walton was Jim Youngblood (He loves this state and refers to himself as a Arkansas boy) and Baylor is far from outrecruiting Coach Pelphrey for his services.   He has yet to visit Fayetteville WTC so I would stop assuming just based on the words from his own mouth.

I have maintained the fact that in every post AJ will end up at the U of A due to his connections to the state, but if he was not an Arkansas boy you better believe he would favor Baylor.  Baylor will still have a better recruiting class than Arkansas in 2008 and that is a fact. 

MB Hog

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on September 11, 2007, 12:46:35 am
Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 10, 2007, 10:34:15 pm

I have maintained the fact that in every post AJ will end up at the U of A due to his connections to the state, but if he was not an Arkansas boy you better believe he would favor Baylor.  Baylor will still have a better recruiting class than Arkansas in 2008 and that is a fact. 
What is the attraction to Baylor?  Definitely nothing special about the town.  No rich tradition or winning history.  Exposed for illegal recruiting tactics when one player shot and killed another.  Who are they getting to come there and how?

Not flaming or anything... legitimate questions.

MB Hog

The_Bionic_Pig

Well lets examine having a better recruiting class than Arkansas for 08'

1.  Arkansas has only 1 commitment, that being from Terrence Joyner who has yet to qualify.  Baylor has 3 one being their most coveted Anthony Jones who was committed to Coach Gillispie until he bolted for "Bluer grass". 

2. One commitment is Ater Majok from (Carlingford, Australia) who's other offers consist of San Diego St,  Wyoming and Fairfield University.  The Other was Storm Warren (Monroe, LA) who committed to them over Florida, LSU, USC, UCLA etc.. (some pretty elite programs) Storm will be joining another Monroe, Louisiana native from last yrs class LaceDarius Dunn.   Storm is currently rated by rivals as the No. 132 in the Rivals Top 150, and the No. 35 power forward in the country.   It came to 3 schools Baylor, Louisiana Tech & LSU.

Baylor currently has (3) Sr on its entire roster with the remainder being (5)Juniors & (3) Sophomores.  Which means they are pretty much done unless the coaches forsee someone with a early jump to the NBA next season or transferring.

Arkansas has (6) Seniors currently listed on its roster. Current Roster with the potential of signing:

PG Rotnei Clarke
(Verdigris HS)
Claremore, OK   6'0 170lbs (Visit Date: September 21 -23)

SF Devron Bostick
Belleville Ill  Southwestern CC 6'5 215

PG Devoe Joseph
(Pickering HS)
Ajax, ON 

PF Terrance Henry
(Carroll HS)
Monroe, LA   6'9 185lbs (Visti Date: September 28-30)

PG Dashan Harris
(Montverde Academy)
Montverde, FL   6'0 170lbs

PG/SF Terrico White
(Craigmont HS)
Memphis (TN)  6'6 205lbs (Visit Date: September 28-30)

PF/C Stan Simpson
(Simeon Vocational HS)
Chicago, IL   6'9 225lbs  (Visit Date: September 21-23)

PF Keith Ramsey
(Okaloosa-Walton)
Niceville, FL  (Visit Date: September 21-23)

PF Drazen Zlovaric
Weston, Fla  6'9 210 Sagemont Upper School (Visit Date: October 12-14)

PG Courtney Fortson
(The Patterson School)
Patterson,NC ( Visit Date: September 28-30)

SF/PF Laurence Bowers
(St. Georges HS)
Colliersville, TN)   6'7 195lbs

So Wu Tang Clan after this observation do you really think Baylor's 2008 signing Class will seriously have more accolades come the early signing period this November?   By the way I love debating recruiting tactic's, coaches, teams etc... I wish subjects like this would occur more often on this board.   Keep in mind I can only offer a opinion which is 50% of the time dead wrong  ;) so I always look forward to others thoughts, suggestions, opinons etc... on this board.  :D

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Tomhog™

Quote from: bigguy551122 on September 09, 2007, 10:33:56 am

tomhog about the 2oo9 class in arkansas who do you see being the overall better player aj walton or fred gulley ? i have been watching  fred since he was about 9 but i have never seen aj play.

Right now, they are both red hot players of the class. I haven't seen one set themselves apart.  The have another two seasons to do that.  I imagine both will be highly sought after and each bring talents that Arkansas needs to return to glory.

HawgG

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on September 11, 2007, 09:01:12 pm

Well lets examine having a better recruiting class than Arkansas for 08'

1.  Arkansas has only 1 commitment, that being from Terrence Joyner who has yet to qualify.  Baylor has 3 one being their most coveted Anthony Jones who was committed to Coach Gillispie until he bolted for "Bluer grass". 

2. One commitment is Ater Majok from (Carlingford, Australia) who's other offers consist of San Diego St,  Wyoming and Fairfield University.  The Other was Storm Warren (Monroe, LA) who committed to them over Florida, LSU, USC, UCLA etc.. (some pretty elite programs) Storm will be joining another Monroe, Louisiana native from last yrs class LaceDarius Dunn.   Storm is currently rated by rivals as the No. 132 in the Rivals Top 150, and the No. 35 power forward in the country.   It came to 3 schools Baylor, Louisiana Tech & LSU.

Baylor currently has (3) Sr on its entire roster with the remainder being (5)Juniors & (3) Sophomores.  Which means they are pretty much done unless the coaches forsee someone with a early jump to the NBA next season or transferring.

Arkansas has (6) Seniors currently listed on its roster. Current Roster with the potential of signing:

So Wu Tang Clan after this observation do you really think Baylor's 2008 signing Class will seriously have more accolades come the early signing period this November?   By the way I love debating recruiting tactic's, coaches, teams etc... I wish subjects like this would occur more often on this board.   Keep in mind I can only offer a opinion which is 50% of the time dead wrong  ;) so I always look forward to others thoughts, suggestions, opinons etc... on this board.  :D

Stewie you know numbers have a way of working themselves out.

I'm sure Coach Drew would find room for a Warren, Brown, and/or Tchiengang.

Scholarships seem to come open when an elite player is available.