Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Greatest season is hog baseball history?

Started by flippinhogmana, May 28, 2015, 04:29:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

Full props for Andrew for national poty, but the greatest season in hog baseball history as the article announcing his selection says, who says that or thinks that?  On what basis?  I hope it turns out to be, with a CWS championship, but other than that, even with Andrew, I don't see this as our best year?   Thoughts? Agreement with the article or disagreement?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogfan14

Probably meant greatest individual season, not team-wise

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 28, 2015, 04:52:32 pm

That would be my guess since we were only one win in the CWS away from a title one time a long time ago under Norm.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 28, 2015, 04:52:32 pm

"In the midst of the greatest season in Arkansas baseball history, sophomore outfielder Andrew Benintendi has been named the National Player of the Year" is the direct quote as published on the official university website.

If they are referring to an individual accomplishment it is the worst written sentence I have ever read.  One little word would be nice, like "individual" season, to clarify?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ricepig

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 28, 2015, 05:16:57 pm
"In the midst of the greatest season in Arkansas baseball history, sophomore outfielder Andrew Benintendi has been named the National Player of the Year" is the direct quote as published on the official university website.

If they are referring to an individual accomplishment it is the worst written sentence I have ever read.  One little word would be nice, like "individual" season, to clarify?

Worst?? Go read some of the crap Robert Shields passes off in MMQB, or Wally Hall in the ADG, it will make that seem like Shakespeare wrote it.

BroyledNutts

I don't know... I'll go so far as to say one of the top 10 seasons in Razorback history.

Reaching the finals in the 79 CWS should probably be #1, and every season ending in a CWS trip should be shown preference in rank, but given the way this season started, and given how they struggled, finishing in Omaha with the SEC and National POY on the field in Razorback red would rank pretty high in my book for top 10.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 28, 2015, 05:31:37 pm
I don't know... I'll go so far as to say one of the top 10 seasons in Razorback history.

Reaching the finals in the 79 CWS should probably be #1, and every season ending in a CWS trip should be shown preference in rank, but given the way this season started, and given how they struggled, finishing in Omaha with the SEC and National POY on the field in Razorback red would rank pretty high in my book for top 10.

I'm very happy for the POY award for him. However short of a third place finish or higher at the CWS which the Hogs have done three times it is not the best season ever since it is a TEAM game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

Clearly the author intended it to read as individual.  The ironic thing is, unless Andrew has a great regional and SR the season itself may not rank in the top ten.  It might but I would have to see the research.