Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

To heck with the other 60, let's talk about 4 teams in Stillwater

Started by Lake City Hog, May 25, 2015, 11:56:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbell96

Not sure what everyone else thinks, but I think we are in the toughest opening round regional in the tournament. Think only the Lake Elsinore regional, UCSB's, is comparable in terms of difficulty.

GatorHog

I agree - St. John's is an interesting 4-seed

Wonder how the weather in Houston will impact that regional?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jbell96 on May 26, 2015, 09:54:02 am
In 2006, we hosted as a 2, because of some major event in Stillwater made it impossible for Okie State to host since teams couldn't get hotels. Our regional that year was paired with Clemson's, and they were the #1 national seed that year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_NCAA_Division_I_Baseball_Tournament

And the super regional was here even though the regional wasnt, is that not similar to this year or not?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

jbell96

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 26, 2015, 11:02:42 am
And the super regional was here even though the regional wasnt, is that not similar to this year or not?

The Super Regional was always supposed to be at Clemson and played there as long as they advanced. The only weird thing that happened was us hosting the 1st regional as a 2 out of necessity. Clemson hosted the Supers at their stadium.

jry04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 26, 2015, 11:02:42 am
We lost in regionals that year, and we hosted as a 2 seed. We didn't host a super regional.

flippinhogmana

the record I looked at, said that the super regional was here in 2006, and did not list us as a host, the only time it shows that happening.  All the other times it was held here it shows us as the national seed.  I am not saying its right because I dont remember...but that is what it says
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

woodhog14

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 25, 2015, 07:03:19 pm
It did go to us one year, but all that year did was screw up what little understanding I had of the process in the first place...

It's pretty simple really.

A national seed will ALWAYS host a Super Regional if they win their regional the weekend prior.

The way a non national seed will host a Super Regional is if the non national seed wins the regional they are in and the national seed that is paired with the non national seed's region loses. Then the Super Regional will be bid out and normally the highest bidder will be the host.

Another way a national seed won't host is if there is a scheduling conflict at their facility (like Missouri State this year) or some convention or other event that takes up most of the hotel rooms in the area.

Make sense?

woodhog14

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 26, 2015, 11:37:38 am
the record I looked at, said that the super regional was here in 2006, and did not list us as a host, the only time it shows that happening.  All the other times it was held here it shows us as the national seed.  I am not saying its right because I dont remember...but that is what it says

Wikipedia is wrong on the titles of the regionals. We hosted a "Regional" and were paired up with Clemson who would be host of the "Super Regional".

Look at the bracket. The "Fayetteville Regional" was paired up with the "Clemson Regional" with the winner of those 2 regionals playing each other. Since Clemson was a national seed, they would host the Super Regional named..."Clemson Super Regional".

flippinhogmana

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 26, 2015, 11:42:46 am
Wikipedia is wrong on the titles of the regionals.

I pulled a different source.  the info on 2006 is def wrong, I am wondering if they got it mixed with 2004?

flippinhogmana

Quote from: woodhog14 on May 26, 2015, 11:39:00 am
It's pretty simple really.

A national seed will ALWAYS host a Super Regional if they win their regional the weekend prior.

The way a non national seed will host a Super Regional is if the non national seed wins the regional they are in and the national seed that is paired with the non national seed's region loses. Then the Super Regional will be bid out and normally the highest bidder will be the host.

Another way a national seed won't host is if there is a scheduling conflict at their facility (like Missouri State this year) or some convention or other event that takes up most of the hotel rooms in the area.

Make sense?

which apparently happens more often that one would think.  Not only may it happen this year (and will if M0 St wins) but has happened to us in the past...I get it woodhog...I did before, its just trying to remember what the variables were that benefitted or screwed us once before along with the other 'normal' variables.

woodhog14

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 26, 2015, 11:48:03 am
which apparently happens more often that one would think.  Not only may it happen this year (and will if M0 St wins) but has happened to us in the past...I get it woodhog...I did before, its just trying to remember what the variables were that benefitted or screwed us once before along with the other 'normal' variables.

Gotcha. Just trying to help out.

For the record, we have never been screwed out of hosting a Super Regional. We were a national seed in 2004, won our Regional and then hosted the Super Regional, beat Florida State and moved on to the CWS. In 2007 we were a national seed and lost our Regional so we didn't get a chance to host a Super since we were eliminated.

litmachog

jry04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 26, 2015, 11:45:16 am
I pulled a different source.  the info on 2006 is def wrong, I am wondering if they got it mixed with 2004?
2006 was the year we hosted OK State, who was the 1 seed.

2004 we were a national seed and we hosted both regional and super regionals, and made it to Omaha. I may be wrong, but we have never hosted a super regional in Baum against a higher seed or national seed.

TikiHog

Okie State lost to texas in the Championship game which allowed texas to be in the tournament...I hate okie state

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2015, 12:16:30 pm
2006 was the year we hosted OK State, who was the 1 seed.

2004 we were a national seed and we hosted both regional and super regionals, and made it to Omaha. I may be wrong, but we have never hosted a super regional in Baum against a higher seed or national seed.

Arkansas and I share a great many things, maybe we share a common delusion...It seemed that I remembered what he was talking about...maybe not...but it still seems like we did...another record shows we have only hosted one super at baum...which would correspond to what a couple of you are saying...but however inaccurately I am remembering it, it was probably 2006 that fits all the particulars the best...

ricepig

Quote from: TikiHog on May 26, 2015, 12:29:03 pm
Okie State lost to texas in the Championship game which allowed texas to be in the tournament...I hate okie state

Yeah, I figured we'd get matched up with the whorns somewhere, I hate those bastages, especially their over cocky baseball team.

litmachog

Quote from: TikiHog on May 26, 2015, 12:29:03 pm

Oops, I missed that.  Now I hate Okie state.

southarkhog06

Im kinda worried about ORU dont know why. I am encouraged that I dont think we face OSUs ace if we win game one because i dont think they beat St Johns if they dont throw him game 1

jry04

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 26, 2015, 02:08:05 pm
Im kinda worried about ORU dont know why. I am encouraged that I dont think we face OSUs ace if we win game one because i dont think they beat St Johns if they dont throw him game 1
I am worried about ORU, too. However, it sounds like their best starting pitcher was injured in their conference tournament, and everyone else is pretty shaky. I do not know much about that them, but that is what their statistics seem to say. Their lineup looks pretty good, though.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2015, 02:12:26 pm
I am worried about ORU, too. However, it sounds like their best starting pitcher was injured in their conference tournament, and everyone else is pretty shaky. I do not know much about that them, but that is what their statistics seem to say. Their lineup looks pretty good, though.

They are pitching a guy with an ERA over 4, but I guess we are too........

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on May 26, 2015, 02:41:18 pm
They are pitching a guy with an ERA over 4, but I guess we are too........
True, but A 4 ERA in the SEC doesn't exactly translate the same as a guy with a 4 ERA in the Summit League. These guys can score some runs, but there will be no excuse for us to not be able to score some, too.

He had a 5.00 ERA in 27 IP against non-conference opponents.

ricepig

Van Horn: Right now, it's about 50-50 that Keaton McKinney will pitch on Saturday. ... It's not something that'll be healed overnight.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on May 26, 2015, 02:45:35 pm
True, but A 4 ERA in the SEC doesn't exactly translate the same as a guy with a 4 ERA in the Summit League. These guys can score some runs, but there will be no excuse for us to not be able to score some, too.

True, but we all know we never have a full grasp of what kind of pitching we'll have for a few innings.

ricepig

@wholehogsports:Keaton McKinney says he is "day-to-day" with hip injury, but plans on pitching in the regional Saturday.

hogman64

not to be a downer but if McKinney cannot give us the innings he has been giving us , meaning 7 and do it in the way he has been doing it, we are dead, end of story... we do not have the pitching to win any kind of series or regional without him.....it will still have been a good year but we can not overcome losing him because we  are  dangerously thin in effective pitchers  even with him .....

SPAL

Quote from: hogman64 on May 27, 2015, 12:50:31 am
not to be a downer but if McKinney cannot give us the innings he has been giving us , meaning 7 and do it in the way he has been doing it, we are dead, end of story... we do not have the pitching to win any kind of series or regional without him.....it will still have been a good year but we can not overcome losing him because we  are  dangerously thin in effective pitchers  even with him .....

Big time players step up in big time moments. I've watched enough baseball to know you never count anybody out till the last pitch is thrown.

Difficult, yes.
Impossible, no.

onebadrubi

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 27, 2015, 01:18:50 am
Big time players step up in big time moments. I've watched enough baseball to know you never count anybody out till the last pitch is thrown.

Difficult, yes.
Impossible, no.

That's exactly right.  If Killian can do his thing we will have a number of arms left.  Don't be surprised if Jackson gets an opportunity to go through a lineup more than once, and it just might pay off now.  This time of year it's time for some people to step up.  Remember Dallas Keuchel basically owning the post season his last year?  I don't remember how many innings he threw that regional/super but it was A LOT. 

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 27, 2015, 02:21:05 am
That's exactly right.  If Killian can do his thing we will have a number of arms left.  Don't be surprised if Jackson gets an opportunity to go through a lineup more than once, and it just might pay off now.  This time of year it's time for some people to step up.  Remember Dallas Keuchel basically owning the post season his last year?  I don't remember how many innings he threw that regional/super but it was A LOT. 
If Killian can have a long outing against ORU and save the bullpen, we may see Jackson later in the weekend if we end up playing more than 3.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: jry04 on May 27, 2015, 07:58:04 am
If Killian can have a long outing against ORU and save the bullpen, we may see Jackson later in the weekend if we end up playing more than 3.

Dvh values winning, but he also values especially Jackson's future.  He values a player's chance to make the big show, their career.  He wont risk hurting either Killian, or Jackson, but especially not Jackson.  Use them a lot maybe, but if he thinks he is pushing them, he wont.  You can write that down.  Lets just hope McKinney and Tacco can do without risking further injury.

jry04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on May 27, 2015, 08:14:35 am
Dvh values winning, but he also values especially Jackson's future.  He values a player's chance to make the big show, their career.  He wont risk hurting either Killian, or Jackson, but especially not Jackson.  Use them a lot maybe, but if he thinks he is pushing them, he wont.  You can write that down.  Lets just hope McKinney and Tacco can do without risking further injury.
I understand that. That is why I said "if Killian can have a long outing against ORU"

Jacksons has thrown 60 or 70 pitches on a Friday night, and then another 30 or 40 pitches on Sunday in a series this year. Jackson is able to bounce back. If Killian can give us 7 or 8 innings against ORU, and then Jackson only has to throw a 10-20 pitches on Friday, I could see him start in the event that we play Monday. Last week against Tennessee, Jackson threw 2 innings and a total of 10 pitches.

hogfan14

Oklahoma St. announced they will throw Freeman in game 2 and start Perrin on Friday

jry04

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 28, 2015, 12:35:47 pm
Oklahoma St. announced they will throw Freeman in game 2 and start Perrin on Friday
COME ON SJU!!!!!!

I want no part of Freeman. Perrin has been rocked a few times this year. He has some good stuff, but very inconsistent, much like Killian.

woodhog14

Quote from: hogfan14 on May 28, 2015, 12:35:47 pm

I hope this backfires so bad on them. LET'S GO ST. JOHN'S!!!