Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Taco or Teague - Who's Your 3rd Starter?

Started by lookawayquick, May 22, 2015, 07:21:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pick the 3 pitchers you would start in the first 3 games of regionals

Killian
9 (17%)
McKinney
8 (15.1%)
Jackson
3 (5.7%)
Teague
11 (20.8%)
Taccolini
18 (34%)
Lowery
0 (0%)
Phillips
0 (0%)
Alberius
0 (0%)
Stone
1 (1.9%)
Chadwick
0 (0%)
Frito Pie or Cracker Jacks
3 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: May 27, 2015, 10:43:48 pm

lookawayquick

May 22, 2015, 07:21:49 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:21:55 pm by lookawayquick
Which one would you use as the third starter in the regionals?  Right now, I believe Taco is more valuable as a long reliever. I would start Teague. Thoughts?

Iwastherein1969

May 22, 2015, 07:38:49 pm #1 Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:58:52 pm by sir-pigs-a-lot
is Bolsinger hiding somewhere back in the bully ?
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Iwastherein1969

we will be a #2 seed....absolutely NO NEED in burning Killian on the #3 seeded team....use McKinney, who maybe had a little hip problem but seemed more star struck than anything...anyway, when McKinney is right, he can pitch well enough to beat a #3 seed, then have Killian laying in wait to play the host team...right now, I don't know if McKinney is up to beating a host team where the crowd will be going nuts from jump start

SPAL

ricepig

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 22, 2015, 07:50:07 pm
Teague

I agree, I think had we played cleaner baseball at the start last night, he would have settled in a little better.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 22, 2015, 07:42:47 pm
we will be a #2 seed....absolutely NO NEED in burning Killian on the #3 seeded team....use McKinney, who maybe had a little hip problem but seemed more star struck than anything...anyway, when McKinney is right, he can pitch well enough to beat a #3 seed, then have Killian laying in wait to play the host team...right now, I don't know if McKinney is up to beating a host team where the crowd will be going nuts from jump start
McKinney has been our ace the last half the season.  Killian has had some starts where DVH might have moved a different guy who doesn't have Killian's track record to the pen.

On topic, I would go with Teague as the #3 starter.  I like pairing Taco with Jackson out of the pen.  Two entirely different styles, but both effective.

Kevin

I sure hope we have more strike throwers next year.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogman64

Teague, no doubt with me.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: lookawayquick on May 22, 2015, 07:21:49 pm
Which one would you use as the third starter in the regionals?  Right now, I believe Taco is more valuable as a long reliever. I would start Teague. Thoughts?

Both Taco and Teague may have to start if McKinney doesn't get over his hip issue.

It depends on who the 3 seed is in our regional. A lesser Mid I would pitch Taco...Hold Teague...a stronger opponent would get Mckinney, assuming he's ready, hold Killian for game 2 Saturday night, and have Taco ready to go on Sunday if the elimination game is necessary. Use Teague to start the night game against the 2-0 team, and Johnny Wholestaff it to get the win. Make sure there's someone ready at all times if Teague gets unstable. It would be better in that Sunday night game if we were the 2-0 team, in case what happened against Florida tonight happens again...have a game to give. Then use Taco to start on Monday.

knoxvillehog

I like Teague as a starter and Taco out of the pen.

I assume since he finished the game at Georgia and started against Florida that Mckinney will be fine.......I hope.

Kevin

McKinney looks ok climbing over the protect screen in front of the dugout tonight
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 22, 2015, 07:58:02 pm
McKinney has been our ace the last half the season.  Killian has had some starts where DVH might have moved a different guy who doesn't have Killian's track record to the pen.

On topic, I would go with Teague as the #3 starter.  I like pairing Taco with Jackson out of the pen.  Two entirely different styles, but both effective.
McKinney looked like "Ned in the First Reader" against Florida in the second game of the SEC tournament...don't know if you didn't notice that Killian was spotting his fastball like a winner against a very hot Tenner team....but I could come in here and say the sky was blue and you would attempt to prove me wrong....and by the way, astute observation about Taco, it doesn't take Sir Isaac Newton to figure out he's unlike any other pitcher on the squad

JonClaudeVanHam

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 24, 2015, 05:45:22 am
McKinney looked like "Ned in the First Reader" against Florida in the second game of the SEC tournament...don't know if you didn't notice that Killian was spotting his fastball like a winner against a very hot Tenner team....but I could come in here and say the sky was blue and you would attempt to prove me wrong....and by the way, astute observation about Taco, it doesn't take Sir Isaac Newton to figure out he's unlike any other pitcher on the squad

McKinney was fighting a hip problem.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Flatline

No matter who starts the other can come in for long relieve. Any combination will work as long as we get a solid game out one of them so we don't burn up our arms.

ucahogfan

So because Killian finally puts together a great start, he is the staff ace again?  We are talking about a guy with a 4.72 ERA in 68.2 IP.

Meanwhile, McKinney put together a 6 start stretch where he had an ERA under 2 and threw 2 CGs, one of which was a shutout against Bama.  Like JCVH said, he was dealing with a hip injury and I know Killian has battled being 100% healthy this year as well, but McKinney has been the ace of this staff.

Plus, let's not act like Tennessee and Florida are equal.  Florida's offense is far superior to Tennessee.

Well when you say that AJ Puk would get lit up by MLB hitters and Killian is our staff ace, I'm going to voice my opinions as well.

Thank you.  It's good to know that I'm that smart and can spot differences in pitching styles.

dotnet

As long as at least McKinney or Killian bring their A game... there will more than enough innings in left in the arms of Jackson and Taco to help Teague get through the third game against someone else's number 4 starter. 

I do not think this team is really built to come through the losers bracket.  If Arkansas loses one of the first two and wins the regional...  it means people will be talking about AB going top five by the end of the weekend. 

ricepig

Quote from: dotnet on May 24, 2015, 01:28:13 pm
As long as at least McKinney or Killian bring their A game... there will more than enough innings in left in the arms of Jackson and Taco to help Teague get through the third game against someone else's number 4 starter. 

I do not think this team is really built to come through the losers bracket.  If Arkansas loses one of the first two and wins the regional...  it means people will be talking about AB going top five by the end of the weekend. 

Yep, whomever we throw game one needs to go 7+ innings.

tennesseehogwild

I would like to see Jackson start but it would weaken our pen too much. Stone seems to have been better this year at starting games than coming in in relief. I think I would like to see him get a shot.....otherwise he will just be a innings eater in blow out games.

ricepig

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on May 24, 2015, 03:57:20 pm
I would like to see Jackson start but it would weaken our pen too much. Stone seems to have been better this year at starting games than coming in in relief. I think I would like to see him get a shot.....otherwise he will just be a innings eater in blow out games.

I can honestly say, I've got very little confidence in any of our starters, until I see them pitch 3 innings. They're either on, or off.

Kevin

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 04:13:16 pm
I can honestly say, I've got very little confidence in any of our starters, until I see them pitch 3 innings. They're either on, or off.

Right there with you

MissippHog

Why does everything from you have to be so confrontational?

lookawayquick

Stone pitched better in the SEC tourney. Maybe Jacob's getting his groove back.  A little more relief help will be welcomed.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 24, 2015, 12:37:33 pm
So because Killian finally puts together a great start, he is the staff ace again?  We are talking about a guy with a 4.72 ERA in 68.2 IP.

Meanwhile, McKinney put together a 6 start stretch where he had an ERA under 2 and threw 2 CGs, one of which was a shutout against Bama.  Like JCVH said, he was dealing with a hip injury and I know Killian has battled being 100% healthy this year as well, but McKinney has been the ace of this staff.

Plus, let's not act like Tennessee and Florida are equal.  Florida's offense is far superior to Tennessee.

Well when you say that AJ Puk would get lit up by MLB hitters and Killian is our staff ace, I'm going to voice my opinions as well.

Thank you.  It's good to know that I'm that smart and can spot differences in pitching styles.
the guy is first call out of the pitching staff....so yes, he's our ace....until McKinney gets first call, he's not our ace no matter what the stats say....hard head

ad: anyone who feels the inner need to refer to himself as "smart" is, well, in need of some help

ucahogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 25, 2015, 10:00:01 am
the guy is first call out of the pitching staff....so yes, he's our ace....until McKinney gets first call, he's not our ace no matter what the stats say....hard head

ad: anyone who feels the inner need to refer to himself as "smart" is, well, in need of some help
So that would make Poche the staff ace at LSU when everyone would agree that Lange is?  Some coaches will go with experience in that Friday night role while letting the true staff ace throw on another day.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 25, 2015, 10:16:49 am
So that would make Poche the staff ace at LSU when everyone would agree that Lange is?  Some coaches will go with experience in that Friday night role while letting the true staff ace throw on another day.

come on...we are talking Van Horn here...and the Friday night guy is the ace...has been since I can remember..the fact that you would cite Paul Manieri and LSU as the standard by which we discuss Arkansas is, at best, strange....they do weird things down there at Baton Rouge with Leslie and Paul calling the shots

ucahogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 25, 2015, 10:21:53 am
come on...we are talking Van Horn here...and the Friday night guy is the ace...has been since I can remember..the fact that you would cite Paul Manieri and LSU as the standard by which we discuss Arkansas is, at best, strange....they do weird things down there at Baton Rouge with Leslie and Paul calling the shots
DVH has also said in the past he would put his best pitcher on Saturday or Sunday to give them an advantage to win the series.  We saw that this year with McKinney.

Plus, why wouldn't I want to use an example from the team that will more than likely be the #1 national seed and is the best program in college baseball?

Southpaw Hawg

Both have great stuff, so it's frustrating to see them struggle with control.  The concern I have with bringing Taco out of the pen is that he can be wild at the beginning and then settle in (sometimes).  When coming out of the pen it's usually to put out a fire and that obviously does not afford you the luxury of being wild a few pitches. 

I honestly think both will be outstanding pitchers for us next year.  Glad they're Hogs and can't wait to see them pitch up to their huge potential.

Iwastherein1969

okay, what does Van Horn do the vast majority of times on Friday night in SEC play when Killian was available  ? name one time, just once, he called on McKinney to pitch on Friday night in conference play.... case closed...really, you have no leg to stand on other than you just want to argue which proves my point that you'd tell a lie when the truth sounded better...come on, man

ucahogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 25, 2015, 10:30:29 am
okay, what does Van Horn do the vast majority of times on Friday night in SEC play when  ? name one time, just once, he called on McKinney to pitch on Friday night in conference play.... case closed...really, you have no leg to stand on other than you just want to argue which proves my point that you'd tell a lie when the truth sounded better...come on, man
So was Teague our ace when he started on opening day?

Yeah, DVH turned to Killian to open up SEC play most of the time, but how many times did our offense bail his non-quality start out?

Kevin

astin was friday, stanek was saturday. i would have considered stanek our ace.

jry04

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 25, 2015, 10:00:01 am

You know Stanek was our ace, and Astin pitched just about every Friday night?

jry04

Quote from: Kevin on May 25, 2015, 10:38:32 am
astin was friday, stanek was saturday. i would have considered stanek our ace.
I should have read before I posted, you beat me to it. Stanek was no doubt our ace. We have pitched our ace on Saturday or Sundays a lot in previous seasons.

Kevin

one more thing, oliver threw sundays last year, not sure he was our number three.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: jry04 on May 25, 2015, 10:44:32 am
You know Stanek was our ace, and Astin pitched just about every Friday night?
what the frick ever...you guys pick out one case, one anomaly in Van Horn's 14 year or so here and claim that's the rule instead of the exception...tired of arguing this...you believe as you choose as will I

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: ucahogfan on May 25, 2015, 10:35:46 am
So was Teague our ace when he started on opening day?

Yeah, DVH turned to Killian to open up SEC play most of the time, but how many times did our offense bail his non-quality start out?
we are on the same team here, in case you haven't figured that out yet...you are so caught up in your own perceptions of how 'baseball smart' you think you are that no matter what others say, you are going to argue...just to end this, you win, just as long as your ego is stroked sufficiently and you will shut up about arguing about who DVH considers our ace...at this point, I really don't give a damm

ad: the commentators (Peterson) on the SEC broadcast when asked about ARK's chances on being dangerous in the NCAA said that it depends on the quality starts we get out of Killian...now go argue with him, I tire of your weak BS

Kevin

this team, this year, has no true ace. just like last year

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: Kevin on May 25, 2015, 12:40:17 pm
this team, this year, has no true ace. just like last year
/thread

and I pick Taco

SPAL

Mike Irwin

If this were the Jump Ball forum what the coaches have said on a subject like this would be meaningless.

However since you people seem to enjoy reality I will point out that Dave Jorn said yesterday the rotation will be Killian, McKinney and Taccolini.

However McKinney has a muscle tightness issue in his right hip and groin. They won't know until he starts pitching on Saturday if it's a problem.

Taccolini has tendonitis in the area under his right armpit. It's wait and see with him too. It sure looks like the Hogs chances in Stillwater are resting on whether or not these two guys can be effective.

Also which Killian will we see in the opener? The guy who got shelled at Georgia or the guy who four hit Tennessee in 7 2/3  innings?

BroyledNutts

My hope is that Killian will continue to challenge himself and will come out with the same fire he had at the SECt...and also that Teague, Phillips, Stone, and Alberius will also challenge themselves to deliver the performances of their respective lives and careers.

McKinney and Taco cannot be expected to go deep this weekend, although they will give all they can.

Someone in the lower ranks of the bullpen is going to have to prove his worth this coming weekend.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Mike Irwin on May 27, 2015, 04:58:53 pm
If this were the Jump Ball forum what the coaches have said on a subject like this would be meaningless.

However since you people seem to enjoy reality I will point out that Dave Jorn said yesterday the rotation will be Killian, McKinney and Taccolini.

However McKinney has a muscle tightness issue in his right hip and groin. They won't know until he starts pitching on Saturday if it's a problem.

Taccolini has tendonitis in the area under his right armpit. It's wait and see with him too. It sure looks like the Hogs chances in Stillwater are resting on whether or not these two guys can be effective.

Also which Killian will we see in the opener? The guy who got shelled at Georgia or the guy who four hit Tennessee in 7 2/3  innings?

Since Killian's issues were not physical (no injuries or mechanics) for the last several weeks, and he got his head around what he had to do and demonstrated it last start, I think I am more comfortable believing that he will show up and pitch well Friday, than I am overly optimistic about McKinney or Tacco.  I hope they are ready...we will fight hard with the other pitchers if they aren't, but I don't like our chances if they aren't.  I would like to see this group get a chance in the CWS.  It is one of our better groups, they just need a little break on pitching right now. And in respect to the question, Tacco if he can go.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

onebadrubi

Regardless the bats are going to have to come alive and score runs in bunches.  They have to get the pressure off of this pitching staff