Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ncaa Tourney/RPI Discussion/Final RPI/Regionals Announced

Started by YtownHog, May 10, 2015, 08:03:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorcineSublime

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on May 24, 2015, 08:16:35 pm
^^^

Or like the razorbacks playing games in little rock (sorry, had to)
I was purposely avoiding that.  8) I would imagine that there would be more AR fans living in Tulsa than UCSB fans in Lake Elsinore.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

jry04

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on May 24, 2015, 08:11:39 pm
Oregon has the #62 RPI, if they get in, the SEC should have 9-10 teams in.

They shouldn't give so many host sites out west if they can't keep teams home to fill the regionals, right?   I guess geographic regionalization only counts when it fits the agenda.
I agree. They just took the series from UCLA to win 10 of 12 and finish above .500 in the Pac 12, so some were thinking that would be enough to get them in. If they get in than Missouri and UK should be in, too.

Quote from: PorcineSublime on May 24, 2015, 08:12:16 pm
So how the heck is this a thing? That would be like AR hosting in Tulsa.
They should have to do like every other team who was unable to host as a 1 seed has had to do, and go on the road. I get you reward teams for the season they had, but they shouldn't be reward if they do not even have the facilities to host.

^^^

I get you were making a joke, but it isn't even close to the same thing.

ricepig

Quote from: jry04 on May 24, 2015, 08:06:37 pm
The problem is, most of the west coast teams who will be in are Pac 12 teams. Arizona State, Cal, Oregon State, and USC all have 2 seed resumes, and Oregon will be a 3 if they make it in. Safe to say CSF and UCSB will have a pac 12 school in their regional, but those others will be shipper pretty far our this way, so someone will have to be shipped out there. Hopefully we have done enough to keep us in this area. It would be ridiculous if we aren't.

Yeah, but there's the Big West, WAC, West Coast and Western Athletic to fill some spots.

Dr. Starcs

Sorry guys. I was totally joking. Felt it was my hogville responsibility. Lol

AirForceHog

4 SEC teams hosting. Awesome for the conference. I can't wait to find out where the Hogs land.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

jry04

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2015, 08:21:53 pm
Yeah, but there's the Big West, WAC, West Coast and Western Athletic to fill some spots.
True. Looks like the UCLA regional is the one that may struggle to fill without sending one out west, unless they over seed someone like Nevada or UC Irvine, and make them a 2 seed.

AirForceHog

I hate that there is no east coast host besides Florida.

jry04

Quote from: AirForceHog on May 24, 2015, 08:38:10 pm
I hate that there is no east coast host besides Florida.
FAU, CoC, and Coastal Carolina will be some dangerous 2 seeds. I am not saying all of them should have hosted, but any of them could have.

AirForceHog

I just say that for driving distance.

Dr. Starcs

Might we be the 2 in Houston with Texas as a 3?

Really hated to see them win the "big" 12 tournament.

Kevin

Show what experts know,  they had been saying Santa barbara could not host.
2 big west & 2 Missouri valley. This thing is getting ridiculous
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

Have no idea where we will go. Would not be surprised to be Illinois
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

3kgthog

How is CSF hosting with that record? RPI must've gotten artificially improved somewhere like many of the teams I see that don't play competition like we do.

ricepig

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 24, 2015, 09:27:37 pm
How is CSF hosting with that record? RPI must've gotten artificially improved somewhere like many of the teams I see that don't play competition like we do.
http://www.d1baseball.com/news/regional-spotlight-setting-the-table/

Razorback_Mack

^^^

Nah, I was at a hog game in a Little Rock a couple of years ago against a SWAC team in raining 45 degree weather and there were 8k fans there. That's better than almost all of those garbage Hoover games.

razCzar

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: razCzar on May 24, 2015, 10:37:51 pm
Final RPI lands Arkansas at #35.

http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2015/predictedrpi
I'm surprised it changed that much over the last couple days with so few games being played and us not playing. We had it down to 29 at one point, so I'm proud of what this team accomplished after being so far down.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

I really hope they don't ship a bunch of teams out west to play the #25 team, if they do, they are just forcing the issue I don't know what they are thinking. We talked about the chances of Arkansas getting to host with a RPI in the mid 20's and most of us felt it would only happen and could only be justified if the geographic region needed another host in the area to keep teams in our area close to home. When you start giving hosts to mid 20's, I think it has to be because of geography and having enough teams in the local area that need a close place to play and not just so they can say we spread the host spots around the country evenly. The west coast either has enough teams playing good ball or they don't, but don't put another host out there if they don't need it.

ucahogfan

Interesting to see UC Santa Barbara get a host site for a couple of reasons:

-  Finishing #2 seed in the Big West which was the #9 RPI conference.  Meanwhile, the #4 RPI conference Pac 12 only gets one host site.

-  Is it really hosting if the site is 3 hours from campus?  That would be like the Hogs hosting at Dickey Stephens.

-  Should a team that ended the season dropping 2 of 3 to RPI 260 UC Riverside get a host site?

CJ HOG

They stuck to the top rpi teams in selecting host sites 1-14, and only dropped down for the addition of 2 west coast sites. If they don't fill those sites with west coast teams or smaller conference automatic qualifiers (however unfair that might even be) I'm calling B.S. on the whole geographical balancing act.

CJ HOG

Not sure why U.S.C. didn't get one of the west coast sites either, if they had to go out west....

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

May 24, 2015, 11:25:34 pm #171 Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:40:36 pm by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S
Quote from: CJ HOG on May 24, 2015, 11:23:10 pm
They stuck to the top rpi teams in selecting host sites 1-14, and only dropped down for the addition of 2 west coast sites. If they don't fill those sites with west coast teams or smaller conference automatic qualifiers (however unfair that might even be) I'm calling B.S. on the whole geographical balancing act.
You said it better than I did.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Overall       RPI 
• Baton Rouge, Louisiana – LSU (48-10) RPI #5
• Champaign, Illinois – Illinois (47-8-1)  RPI #13
• College Station, Texas – Texas A&M (45-11) RPI #6
• Coral Gables, Florida – Miami (Fla.) (44-14) RPI #1
• Dallas, Texas – Dallas Baptist (43-13)  RPI #2
• Fort Worth, Texas – TCU (43-11)  RPI #8
• Fullerton, California – Cal State Fullerton (34-22)  RPI #25
• Gainesville, Florida – Florida (*43-16)  RPI #3
• Houston, Texas – Houston (42-18) RPI #14
• Lake Elsinore, California – UC Santa Barbara (40-15-1) RPI #20
• Los Angeles, California – UCLA (42-14) RPI #4
• Louisville, Kentucky – Louisville (43-16) RPI #12
• Nashville, Tennessee – Vanderbilt (*42-18) RPI #10
• Springfield, Missouri – Missouri State (45-10) RPI #7
• Stillwater, Oklahoma – Oklahoma State (37-18) RPI #11
• Tallahassee, Florida – Florida State (41-19)  RPI #9

MISSED OUT:
Radford #15
FAU  #16
Charleston # 17
Coastal Car  #18
Bradley #19
Virginia #21
Auburn #22
USC  #23
E Carolina #24

Like CJ said, they stuck to the RPI and went right down the list until they needed 2 west coast teams.

Tigaman

D1Baseball just posted their final projections.

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/field-of-64-projections-the-final-edition/

They have us in Springfield playing Notre Dame in the first game. I don't know how Notre Dame is but I like this regional.

soooieman

Never mind.  I found it

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: Tigaman on May 24, 2015, 11:36:44 pm

They have us in Springfield playing Notre Dame in the first game. I don't know how Notre Dame is but I like this regional.
D1 Baseball's predictions:

Springfield
1 Missouri State
4 Sacred Heart

2 Arkansas
3 Notre Dame

Los Angeles:
1 UCLA
4 Bakersfield

2 East Carolina *
3 Michigan

Lake Elsinore:
1 UC Santa Barbara
4 Pepperdine

2 USCw
3 San Diego

Fullerton:
1 Cal State Fullerton
4 Columbia *

2 Cal
3 Clemson *

* D1 Baseball predicts 3 teams will be going from the east coast to the west coast.

CJ HOG

I think that's a pretty favorable spot for the Hogs. While I'm not familiar with N.D. or Sacred Heart, the host team & site are both advantageous imo.

As for the west coast shippers, both Michigan & Colombia are lucky to be in the field to start with. Clemson is a little interesting as they are similar to Missouri in both rpi and conference record. They did finish stronger which is likely what projects them into this spot. Be fun to see how accurate these turn out.

RussVegas Hawg

Trying to make sure I'm reading that right. Is the Springfield regional matched up with the Forth Worth regional for the Super regional?

TikiHog

I would love to go to Lake Elsinor

BroyledNutts

May 25, 2015, 12:40:03 am #179 Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:50:54 am by BroyledNutts
Quote from: RussVegas Hawg on May 25, 2015, 12:32:48 am
Trying to make sure I'm reading that right. Is the Springfield regional matched up with the Forth Worth regional for the Super regional?

Yes that's correct. I'd be PO'd if I was Florida or Florida State...that's a ridiculous pairing.

CJ HOG

Quote from: RussVegas Hawg on May 25, 2015, 12:32:48 am
I could be way off, but I don't think that's  been released yet It's my understanding that info all comes out tomorrow/later today 11:00 a.m. when they announce the selections.

razCzar

Quote from: BroyledNutts on May 25, 2015, 12:40:03 am
Yes that's correct. I'd be PO'd if I was Florida or Florida State...that's a ridiculous pairing.
But one I was figuring the selection committee cannot resist.   

CJ HOG

Where are you'll seeing who is actually a National Seed? On NCAA website it just list the 16 host sites and says the brackets will be announced on Monday.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: CJ HOG on May 25, 2015, 12:46:52 am
Where are you'll seeing who is actually a National Seed? On NCAA website it just list the 16 host sites and says the brackets will be announced on Monday.
They are talking about the D1 Baseball predictions and the link to it above

CJ HOG

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on May 25, 2015, 12:48:03 am
They are talking about the D1 Baseball predictions and the link to it above
Gotcha, wasn't sure if I was missing something. Thanks

RussVegas Hawg

Quote from: CJ HOG on May 25, 2015, 12:42:12 am
I could be way off, but I don't think that's  been released yet It's my understanding that info all comes out tomorrow/later today 11:00 a.m. when they announce the selections.

I'm just reading the projections posted above. Just trying to make sure I was reading that right if that actually was to come true. I'd say the Hogs would like that draw a whole bunch.

BroyledNutts

Quote from: razCzar on May 25, 2015, 12:43:57 am
But one I was figuring the selection committee cannot resist.   

Oh sure...It would not surprise me in the least to see A&M hosting Texas in their regional tomorrow, and us paired across from LSU in the supers...

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Tigaman on May 24, 2015, 11:36:44 pm

After reading all the comments on the article, it's nice to know that we're not the only ones who think the RPI formula is crap.

SPAL

Yeah but it would make for some good baseball. Personally, I would love it.

SPAL

Since you asked , I'll give my opinion. If I was just a poster without mod duties and was just looking for good baseball conversation, I would like everything in one thread.

In a forum this size without the huge traffic numbers of the other boards, it seems to initiate a better debate/conversation if the participants are all in the same thread. Just my 2 pennies.

But I'll defer to what everybody else wants. It is your board, I just collect membership dues.

Kevin

Later today, I bet there is a lot more than usual unhappy baseball coaches  looks like the smaller conferences are taking over.

Take basketball if the number 1 team in the Atlantic sun loses the automatic bid in the tournament they don't get in, why it is a one bid league. But I the new works of college baseball they still get in. 

I hope later today starts the ball rolling on getting this thing right. Because right now this is screwed up on all fronts.

Taking their system if I am team ahead of Fullerton & Santa Barbara in the Rpi then i am upset they are hosting. 

dotnet

Why? Florida is obviously a national seed and fsu clearly isn't. It's close to home... Etc?

They do this every year.

dotnet

the one possible thing we haven't seen that is really possible... Getting sent to Houston. I think Houston is pretty good and would want no part of that regional.

ricepig

Quote from: dotnet on May 25, 2015, 07:06:58 am
the one possible thing we haven't seen that is really possible... Getting sent to Houston. I think Houston is pretty good and would want no part of that regional.

Makes sense, since it is the furthest away, of the close by regionals.   ???

southarkhog06

Quote from: Kevin on May 24, 2015, 09:16:49 pm
Show what experts know,  they had been saying Santa barbara could not host.
2 big west & 2 Missouri valley. This thing is getting ridiculous
i never liked the rip too much but I'm firmly with you now, I am so tired of good not great midmajors and northern teams padding their resume in a weak conference and getting rewarded.

Kevin

Quote from: southarkhog06 on May 25, 2015, 08:01:49 am
i never liked the rip too much but I'm firmly with you now, I am so tired of good not great midmajors and northern teams padding their resume in a weak conference and getting rewarded.

come on over plenty of room

Kevin

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Kevin on May 25, 2015, 08:42:43 am
sb nation does not even have us in

The same guy, Connor Pelton, had the Hogs a #2 seed in Ft. Worth 3 days ago. Now he doesn't list the Hogs on his First Four Out or even a bubble team.
He has Auburn #2 seed in Tallahssee. Wonder if he confused Arkansas & Auburn?

His May 22 projection:
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/5/18/8619255/ncaa-baseball-bracketology-championship-week-edition

His final projection:
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/5/24/8652633/ncaa-baseball-bracketology-final-regional-host-projections

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

dbhog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on May 25, 2015, 08:59:04 am
The same guy, Connor Pelton, had the Hogs a #2 seed in Ft. Worth 3 days ago. Now he doesn't list the Hogs on his First Four Out or even a bubble team.
He has Auburn #2 seed in Tallahssee. Wonder if he confused Arkansas & Auburn?

His May 22 projection:
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/5/18/8619255/ncaa-baseball-bracketology-championship-week-edition

His final projection:
http://www.houseofsparky.com/2015/5/24/8652633/ncaa-baseball-bracketology-final-regional-host-projections

I would assume this is an oversight.  How could they have Ole Miss in and not us?

tennesseehogwild

Anybody know if ESPNU is the only TV covering Regionals....? I bet we end up on WATCHESPN I am guessing.