Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Benintendi #63 MLB Draft Prospect / Top 10 pick?

Started by A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, April 30, 2015, 05:43:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

A PROJECTED 63 is lower second round right or top third?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

bulldog04

They think Little Rock is the home of the razorbacks.  I would take Bregman over Swanson

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 30, 2015, 05:49:59 pm
Should be right in the middle of the 2nd round but it depends on how many comp picks there are this year.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

seasonhog

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 30, 2015, 05:49:59 pm

Should be first round..........

HamIAm

According to the MLB website:

First round = picks 1 - 26
Compensation picks = 27 - 36
Competitive Balance Round A = picks 37 - 42

Second Round = picks 43 - 70
Competitive Balance Round B = 71-75

Third Round = 76-104
Supplemental Round = 105
Followed by rounds 4 through 40

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2015/order.jsp

Iwastherein1969

Is this #63 overall counting pitchers or just every day players ?  If this is just everyday players and Ben is merely the 63rd best player in the country, good God I'd love to see the top 10 on that list...half of them must be the '27 Yankees
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Supermark101

Sign-ability will be huge in where he goes. He will have all the leverage being able to come back for 2 more years.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on May 02, 2015, 09:56:07 am
Is this #63 overall counting pitchers or just every day players ?  If this is just everyday players and Ben is merely the 63rd best player in the country, good God I'd love to see the top 10 on that list...half of them must be the '27 Yankees
63rd ranked draft prospect does not mean he is the 63rd best player.  He is probably the odds-on favorite for SEC POTY and one of the frontrunners for the Golden Spikes Award.  The draft focuses on potential moreso than production.  A legendary year like Benintendi is having will shoot you up the draft board, but only so much.  He is still a 5-10 CF who doesn't have blazing speed.

hogville38

Accurate but Dewees is not a better hitter oer average like he said. Good read +1 for the find.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

MLB.com Columnist, Jim Callis says SEC standout Benintendi poised as top 10 pick.

Andrew Benintendi didn't exactly come out of nowhere. Yet his emergence this spring as a likely top 10 pick in the First-Year Player Draft has been a surprise.

As a senior at Madeira High in Cincinnati, Benintendi was the Ohio High School Division III Player of the Year in both baseball and basketball. His athleticism was obvious, but so was his desire to attend Arkansas, and he had yet to show much power. The Reds selected him in the 31st round in 2013, despite knowing there was little chance he'd turn pro.
more:
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/126515552/jim-callis-benintendi-poised-as-top-10-draft-pick

flippinhogmana

andrew may be the best argument for coming to school that we have ever had (a top 10 pick as opposed to top 600)
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JonClaudeVanHam

He's also an interesting argument to use against playing summer ball and instead staying on campus and getting stronger.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 25, 2015, 06:24:26 pm
He's also an interesting argument to use against playing summer ball and instead staying on campus and getting stronger.

True, I used that argument before, now he and Spoon are exhibit one and two against it.  This is almost a zerox of a past post, but I am not against it especially if the player has redshirted, not played much, or even in some cases coming from hs (more limited benefit).  But rest revitalizes the muscles of the body and mind.  Not enough and you do poorly (Killian is exhibit 3 and I only hope Zach Jackson isnt exhibit four). 

JonClaudeVanHam

I've been wary of summer ball influence since DJ Baxendale returned from Team USA a shell of himself.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 25, 2015, 06:30:31 pm
I've been wary of summer ball influence since DJ Baxendale returned from Team USA a shell of himself.
Very true. Good news is last I checked he was dealing in AA

Huds_HawgTide

during SEC tourney hogs was taking batting practice at local high school, i was told between 30 and 50 scouts were there to watch him take batting practice...after his first two hits two scouts walked off...someone stopped them and said why are you leaving...they responded, ive seen all i need to see...the kid has the fastest bat speed as anyone theyve scouted all yr
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Suidae Suis Scrofa

hillbilly

I hope he drops 2 more spots so the Cubs can pick him up!

Kevin

apparently he was busy at hoover with talking to scouts and management.

being a college baseball coach, maybe the toughest coaching job.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogFansReunited

Happy for him but still wish we could get one more year out of him.  Won't be upset at all if he leaves though, too much money to turn down as a top 10 pick.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

azhog10

Watching a show in Arizona for the Dbacks and we're discussing draft picks. AB and Dansby Swanson were two of their top 10 guys. FWIW.

The beat writer for the Dbacks said he would put his money on Swanson.

soooieman

Settle this argument for me.. We both know he's draft eligable, but how? is it because he's 21?

jry04

If a player turns 21 within a certain date of the draft, then he is eligible as a sophomore. I believe he turns 21 in July. I think they have to turn 21 within a month of the MLB draft date in order to be eligible, and he will turn 21 in time.

soooieman

dsgreen

Quote from: jry04 on May 29, 2015, 02:44:11 pm
If a player turns 21 within a certain date of the draft, then he is eligible as a sophomore. I believe he turns 21 in July. I think they have to turn 21 within a month of the MLB draft date in order to be eligible, and he will turn 21 in time.

It's a 45 day window from the date of the draft.  He could also be eligible if he ditched classes and was dismissed for academics as a tip for any future college ball players who light it up in their freshman year but still want to go pro at 19.  A third way would be to leave the school 120 days before the draft.  They'd miss the post season, but if they were 19 and guaranteed a high pick, it might be worth it.

Deep Shoat

All Gas, No Brakes!

seasonhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 29, 2015, 05:51:16 pm
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/127093362/a-look-inside-new-top-200-draft-prospects-list

Up from 63 to 8 in a very short period of time.  Very proud of Andrew.

some one posted on April 30th [ #4 post ] that he would be first round..............

MemphisBossHog

I have a question for those way more knowledgeable about Hog baseball than I.  I freely admit that I love all Arkansas sports but living in Memphis, I do not follow the baseball team as much as I would like.  I mainly get my info from this board.

I know that Andrew Benintendi was voted the player of the year by an organization--Collegiate Baseball??  was that it?  Anyway, has Andrew had the type of postseason that the national player of the year would expect to have?  I ask this only because I gathered that he struggled at the SEC tournament.  I saw he had at least one good game at the Stillwater regional--maybe went 3 for 4 with some RBIs--that may be wrong but nevertheless, I watched a good bit of the St John's game yesterday and he seemed to have trouble hitting breaking balls.  Is that a fair assessment? Are opposing pitchers just not giving him anything to hit?

I just wanted to get an "expert" on Ark baseball's opinion on how AB is performing in the post season.

PorcineSublime

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on June 01, 2015, 06:03:11 pm
I have a question for those way more knowledgeable about Hog baseball than I.  I freely admit that I love all Arkansas sports but living in Memphis, I do not follow the baseball team as much as I would like.  I mainly get my info from this board.

I know that Andrew Benintendi was voted the player of the year by an organization--Collegiate Baseball??  was that it?  Anyway, has Andrew had the type of postseason that the national player of the year would expect to have?  I ask this only because I gathered that he struggled at the SEC tournament.  I saw he had at least one good game at the Stillwater regional--maybe went 3 for 4 with some RBIs--that may be wrong but nevertheless, I watched a good bit of the St John's game yesterday and he seemed to have trouble hitting breaking balls.  Is that a fair assessment? Are opposing pitchers just not giving him anything to hit?

I just wanted to get an "expert" on Ark baseball's opinion on how AB is performing in the post season.
St John's pitcher was about as good as we have seen, and we have seen some of the best. This coupled with the brotherhood of the traveling strike zone made many hitters look bad. I think it was hard for him to get comfortable at the plate when he had no idea what a strike was, can't work the count. He won't see such poorly called games at the next level, but he will see amazing pitching every night. Time will tell, but he sure looks the part.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

BroyledNutts

I heard DVH on one of the pre-game broadcasts at the SEC say that he had been dealing with a lot of distraction during that tourney. He was announced as SECPOY on the Monday before play began, and DVH said that during their practice session at some obscure high school field there were a couple hundred people show up to watch practice, included a large contingent of scouts. People talking to him during BP or shouting to him in the outfield from over the fences, scout's assessing his every flinch - that can be very distracting.

He also said there was quite a bit of media following him around (no doubt it was local news outlets shadowing him), and on top of all that I noticed during the game broadcasts there were a lot of fill shots going in and coming out of commercials focusing on him - those had to be recorded at some point. 

Seems like there was just way too much in the way for him to relax and play his game.   

Just my observations.

seasonhog

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 02, 2015, 11:44:44 am
I heard DVH on one of the pre-game broadcasts at the SEC say that he had been dealing with a lot of distraction during that tourney. He was announced as SECPOY on the Monday before play began, and DVH said that during their practice session at some obscure high school field there were a couple hundred people show up to watch practice, included a large contingent of scouts. People talking to him during BP or shouting to him in the outfield from over the fences, scout's assessing his every flinch - that can be very distracting.

He also said there was quite a bit of media following him around (no doubt it was local news outlets shadowing him), and on top of all that I noticed during the game broadcasts there were a lot of fill shots going in and coming out of commercials focusing on him - those had to be recorded at some point. 

Seems like there was just way too much in the way for him to relax and play his game.   

Just my observations.

Correct..........Benintendi was pressing.............trying to live up to the hype....he will work that out.

seasonhog

Quote from: Huds_HawgTide on May 26, 2015, 06:02:48 pm
during SEC tourney hogs was taking batting practice at local high school, i was told between 30 and 50 scouts were there to watch him take batting practice...after his first two hits two scouts walked off...someone stopped them and said why are you leaving...they responded, ive seen all i need to see...the kid has the fastest bat speed as anyone theyve scouted all yr

AB......swing a lot like Saint Louis Cardinal Koten Wong........both lefties with great bat speed.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 02, 2015, 11:44:44 am

Just my observations.
Thanks.  That makes sense.  He is just about or has just turned 21, right?  And he has gotten a lot of praise and attention.  Im sure he feels like he has to knock the cover off the ball everytime he comes to the plate.  I hope that if UA is fortunate enough to advance, he will relax as you say and sort of "let the game come to him." 

However, I still wonder can he really hit a curve ball.  From what the color analyst for the St John's game was saying ( cant remember his name) pitchers seemed to be getting him out with breaking balls--movement.  He obviously hit SEC pitching and I would think that SEC pitchers can make the ball move, so maybe it was much ado about nothing.  However, he wouldnt be the first bigtime prospect who could square up a fast ball with the best of them but change speeds and make is "slide" or break and all of a sudden he is popping up or striking out.  I look forward to AB catching fire against Missouri State and leading his Hogs all the way to Omaha.  WPS!!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on June 02, 2015, 01:02:37 pm
Thanks.  That makes sense.  He is just about or has just turned 21, right?  And he has gotten a lot of praise and attention.  Im sure he feels like he has to knock the cover off the ball everytime he comes to the plate.  I hope that if UA is fortunate enough to advance, he will relax as you say and sort of "let the game come to him." 

However, I still wonder can he really hit a curve ball.  From what the color analyst for the St John's game was saying ( cant remember his name) pitchers seemed to be getting him out with breaking balls--movement.  He obviously hit SEC pitching and I would think that SEC pitchers can make the ball move, so maybe it was much ado about nothing.  However, he wouldnt be the first bigtime prospect who could square up a fast ball with the best of them but change speeds and make is "slide" or break and all of a sudden he is popping up or striking out.  I look forward to AB catching fire against Missouri State and leading his Hogs all the way to Omaha.  WPS!!

During the regular season he was hitting everything...and being patient and letting those go that he couldn't do anything with. Suddenly in post season play the dimensions of the strike zone have become nebulous, and what he knew to pass on during the regular season has suddenly become a strike, so he's struggled a bit with decision making on when to swing. Most of his contact in the Regional was half hearted - you could see it on his face - he had that look in replays like, "Is that or isn't it? Better swing,"
and he either make weak contact (for him anyway) or he swung at pitches he was unsure of...thanks, again, to the ever moving strike zone.

His success this weekend will depend totally on what umpires are picked for this series, what strike zone they bring, and to a lesser degree, weather conditions and the over confidence of MSU's pitchers who think they can over power him.

ChicoHog

Watching Baseball Tonight and they just showed his mock draft.