Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Recent medical articles on demise of tackle football

Started by HognotinMemphis, November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 12:29:29 pm
From my experience today's parents do not put their kids in sports that take up time because of what THE PARENTS want to do. They do not want to tie up Saturdays. They do not want to spend a couple nights a week at a ball field.

Have you been to any younger kids sporting events on Saturdays lately. They are FULL of parents that are there to watch their kids play.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: IronHog on November 09, 2017, 12:57:15 pm
Bull riding is a rough as it gets

Yes it is and they have some using safety helmets and vests, etc.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 09, 2017, 03:21:54 pm
Are you kidding me?  Football players get hit on the head multiple times during a game.  How often have you ever seen a baseball player hit in the head?  Ribs, butt, legs, back maybe, but you have to be frozen like a deer in the headlights to get hit in the head.

Really ? I'ver seen numerous players get hit by a baseball while trying to get out of the way of it both in the batter's box AND on the pitcher mound while pitching....................

jvanhorn

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 01:23:00 pm
Maybe the 40% are just not wanting to sit the bench behind the 30% that do everything?

LOL, well maybe that 40 per cent are actually doing homework and trying to get an education--in case you forgot what school was supposed to be about.  Or playing in the band, of raising pigs for the FFA!

jvanhorn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 03:26:24 pm
Really ? I'ver seen numerous players get hit by a baseball while trying to get out of the way of it both in the batter's box AND on the pitcher mound while pitching....................

If you still get hit in the head while trying to get out of the way maybe you shouldn't be playing sports.  Pitching is another story.  They are a sitting target but do they get hit in the head multiple times during the game. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 09, 2017, 03:00:08 pm
No we have Freshman Football  Gold and Purple, JV 10-12 graders Gold and Purple and a Varsity Squad. Fish play 8 games and some get pulled up for the Playoffs JV plays 10 games and some more get pulled up for playoffs.

They do nothing , are nothing and accomplish Nothing. But they are "X box all americans.

Hell, some professional video game players make six figures now and it's a rapidly growing "sport". If I could make that kind of money playing video games. . A boy can dream.

10thPlanet

Until there's a study testing the general public we won't know how much of an anomaly. Medical studies are real good about taking a cross section for their research to get funding. Being hit anywhere over and over isn't a good plan. Question is does it take two MVA's to create the same damage? I think there's too many variables. Life is going to kill you.

bennyl08

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Saw another where the JAMA Network released a study that found more than 99% of deceased NFL players and 87% of football players from any level were "neuropathologically diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy".

No you didn't. We all know the study you are talking about and the study never claimed what you are claiming it did.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

jkstock04

Quote from: Grag T on November 09, 2017, 11:27:22 am
I can imagine getting smashed in the head for years could in fact cause problems.
Don't you know you have to be a super scientist with 50 years of experience and be a multimillionaire to figure that out? Takes a real genius to come out and say hammering your head together with other guys for years on end increases likelihood of long term head injury.

Real shocking stuff.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 09, 2017, 03:50:48 pm
Don't you know you have to be a super scientist with 50 years of experience and be a multimillionaire to figure that out? Takes a real genius to come out and say hammering your head together with other guys for years on end increases likelihood of long term head injury.

Real shocking stuff.

If only it was just hammering of heads that caused injury. That's literally the entire point is that you don't have to get your head hammered to get damage.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Ex-Trumpet

Let's be honest...idiot teachers/professors are ruining more brains than football ever could.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

hog of steele

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 09, 2017, 03:21:54 pm
Are you kidding me?  Football players get hit on the head multiple times during a game.  How often have you ever seen a baseball player hit in the head?  Ribs, butt, legs, back maybe, but you have to be frozen like a deer in the headlights to get hit in the head.

You would think that football would run away with this (after boxing) but soccer has a big CTE problem. I think it takes just a few concussions to trigger long term problems. People just weren't designed for brain pinball.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 09, 2017, 03:48:54 pm
No you didn't. We all know the study you are talking about and the study never claimed what you are claiming it did.
/This is a direct quote from the article I read today. It was a clickable link to jamanetwork.com and the study results.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

bennyl08

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 05:11:05 pm
/This is a direct quote from the article I read today. It was a clickable link to jamanetwork.com and the study results.

The study only looked at brains that were requested to be looked at. I.e. people who thought there'd be something to see in the first place. The study itself mentions this and how these results obviously can't be generalized to the entire NFL or sport.

If you are just quoting from the article, then the article is doing a bad job of reporting on the actual study.

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: jvanhorn on November 09, 2017, 03:26:39 pm
LOL, well maybe that 40 per cent are actually doing homework and trying to get an education--in case you forgot what school was supposed to be about.  Or playing in the band, of raising pigs for the FFA!

I knew a guy named Jeff McKnight once who was a pretty decent player

;)

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 09, 2017, 04:14:05 pm
If only it was just hammering of heads that caused injury. That's literally the entire point is that you don't have to get your head hammered to get damage.

We are learning so much today that we never knew. Meat is bad. People get hurt playing football, ...
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Grunt

Frank Broyles on sideline checks for concussion: "If they're good, we correct them and put them back in."
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: bennyl08 on November 09, 2017, 05:16:18 pm
The study only looked at brains that were requested to be looked at. I.e. people who thought there'd be something to see in the first place. The study itself mentions this and how these results obviously can't be generalized to the entire NFL or sport.

If you are just quoting from the article, then the article is doing a bad job of reporting on the actual study.
Oh, ok. Then forget I mentioned the subject. I'm sure it is all fine.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

davglo35

I completely stopped watching the nfl because of targeting. I don't watch anywhere near as much college football as i once did because of targeting and long delays for replay, I love the game. Been watching all my life. Watched guys like Butkus and Unitas play. It just doesn't make sense to me to tie the defense's hands and kick kids out of games for playing hard.
Injuries are a way of life in football. You don't want to be brain dead then don't play.
Bob Costas is a liberal anti gun idiot.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hogsanity on November 09, 2017, 11:41:08 am
Another thing that is coming into play is that a lot of kids just see no reason to put themselves through football. I will use my youngest as an example. 14 yrs old 6'2" 175", not a burner but not slow, good hands, has no desire to play football at all. He does play other sports.

My kid stopped playing after the 9th grade. He loved playing the game. He hated having to give each day of the year to football. They had before-school practice, after-school practice, summer workouts (except the 2 weeks the AAA makes coaches take off) and the inability to be able to fully involve themselves in other sports (because coaches these days are selfish and want the athletes all to themselves).

Also, he didn't like our head coach. Didn't like his 3 yards and a cloud of dust. As a runningback he was coached to never juke a defender even if it was a safety and in doing so you'd score. Nope, we had to have long drives. Lots of really good players elected to not play for him.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

hogsolutely

If this is the case then all sports is under the microscope.  I mean you can't get concussed when your head meets a basketball court, an all the blown out knees.   In soccer when 2 guys go up for a headder an they connect each other.  Or, in baseball sliding head first into a knee or taking one off the head.  So, what do they want all sports with a certain amount of glory comes at a cost.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 09, 2017, 11:23:42 am
Saw one today where Bob Costas says football is destroying brains. Saw another where the JAMA Network released a study that found more than 99% of deceased NFL players and 87% of football players from any level were "neuropathologically diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy".

A Nat'l Federation of State High School Associations report published in September, 2017 showed participation in 11 players tackle football dropped by 25,901 athletes from 2015-16 to 2016-17 school years. That # is nationwide but still significant.

Talent pool for college will drop off as kids do not participate in HS football. That will then cause same loss of talent pool for NFL. Lawsuits for liability will destroy the game if it does not self-implode over the next decade.

This is the sort of thing that can easily be ignored and thought of as either silly or crazy or both but facts are facts: this is real, it is destroying peoples' brains and causing severe consequences...suicide, loss of memory and loss of of functions. This house of cards can all come tumbling down on college and NFL a lot faster than anyone realizes. 10 yrs from now, this will not be a multi-billion dollar industry for colleges and NFL.

Things will change for sure. No tackle football till middle school, teaching better techniques not using the head, more penalties trying to take out some of the dangerous hits. I think there are Very few dangerous and lasting hits until college when size, strength and speed really kicks in so this should save HS football.   The old heads may not like where the game will go but must be done to save the game.  I played college ball in the early 70s and coaching were teaching us to tackle putting the head in the middle of the chest.  That has changed years ago so other changes will be made.   I think football will survive.

bphi11ips

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 10, 2017, 07:16:01 am
Things will change for sure. No tackle football till middle school, teaching better techniques not using the head, more penalties trying to take out some of the dangerous hits. I think there are Very few dangerous and lasting hits until college when size, strength and speed really kicks in so this should save HS football.   The old heads may not like where the game will go but must be done to save the game.  I played college ball in the early 70s and coaching were teaching us to tackle putting the head in the middle of the chest.  That has changed years ago so other changes will be made.   I think football will survive.

Someone you would all recognize immediately developed dementia recently and has concluded it was induced by football.  He played in the pros.  He called one of his oldest friends, who you would also recognize immediately, and asked him to do something about it. 

I think it would be a mistake not to teach kids before they reach middle school how to tackle with proper form.  My experience has been that middle school coaches are history teachers who are not nearly as motivated or knowledgeable as fathers with a vested interest.  The key is education and supervision at the youth level.  It works.

Hugo Bezdek

I can't speak about nationwide trends but what I'm seeing at the middle school level with my own son is two things happening. 1) There are parents who don't want their boys risking a head injury, and they are not participating in football. 2) The demand in sports like soccer and baseball that you be committed to playing year-round is out of hand. Our pediatrician has told us that he's seeing a lot of repetitive stress injuries and Tommy John surgeries on teenagers that he didn't used to see. A number of kids are playing other sports in the fall now instead of football. There are already schools at the middle school level that have fielded teams in the past, but aren't now. Some are joining up with other schools to field a team and some just aren't participating.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogsolutely on November 10, 2017, 06:47:42 am
If this is the case then all sports is under the microscope.  I mean you can't get concussed when your head meets a basketball court, an all the blown out knees.   In soccer when 2 guys go up for a headder an they connect each other.  Or, in baseball sliding head first into a knee or taking one off the head.  So, what do they want all sports with a certain amount of glory comes at a cost.

Why do some of you do this. Why can't you just admit that there are far more head injuries/concussions in football than other sports? I have umpired well over 1000 baseball games counting all levels and never see one concussion. Does not mean they do not happen occasionally in baseball, but not nearly at the rate they do in football.

And why do so many get so enraged every time a study comes out about head trauma in football? No one is trying to take the game away from you.

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 10, 2017, 06:46:02 am
My kid stopped playing after the 9th grade. He loved playing the game. He hated having to give each day of the year to football. They had before-school practice, after-school practice, summer workouts (except the 2 weeks the AAA makes coaches take off) and the inability to be able to fully involve themselves in other sports (because coaches these days are selfish and want the athletes all to themselves).

That was the big thing for my kid. He loves baseball, and football was going to interfere with that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 10, 2017, 08:15:52 am
I can't speak about nationwide trends but what I'm seeing at the middle school level with my own son is two things happening. 1) There are parents who don't want their boys risking a head injury, and they are not participating in football. 2) The demand in sports like soccer and baseball that you be committed to playing year-round is out of hand. Our pediatrician has told us that he's seeing a lot of repetitive stress injuries and Tommy John surgeries on teenagers that he didn't used to see. A number of kids are playing other sports in the fall now instead of football. There are already schools at the middle school level that have fielded teams in the past, but aren't now. Some are joining up with other schools to field a team and some just aren't participating.

Football is just as bad about being year round. As someone else posted above coaches want them for off season workouts, 7 on 7 tournaments if they are skill players, team camps, individual camps, speed camps, and on and on. 

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 03:21:58 pm
Have you been to any younger kids sporting events on Saturdays lately. They are FULL of parents that are there to watch their kids play.

Yea I am there just about every Saturday. I did not say no one was there, what I said was that often, when parents decide not to put their kids in sports, it is because it interferes with what the parents want to do.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bphi11ips

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 10, 2017, 08:15:52 am

Who doesn't think that competing professional sports at the highest level aren't going to do all they can do to kill football?  Soccer obviously has the most to gain.  Nashville just approved a $250,000,000 soccer stadium.  The most valuable franchise in soccer worldwide is worth almost twice what the most valuable NFL team is worth according to Forbes. 

Here's what I know - high school football playoffs are here in middle Tennessee.  There is nothing that generates student interest like a football game. 

Knot2brite

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 10, 2017, 07:50:19 am
Someone you would all recognize immediately developed dementia recently and has concluded it was induced by football.  He played in the pros.  He called one of his oldest friends, who you would also recognize immediately, and asked him to do something about it. 

I think it would be a mistake not to teach kids before they reach middle school how to tackle with proper form.  My experience has been that middle school coaches are history teachers who are not nearly as motivated or knowledgeable as fathers with a vested interest.  The key is education and supervision at the youth level.  It works.
So much horseshit in that last paragraph...I teach four AP history classes AND Coach football AND spend 50 percent of my time teaching kids how to tackle properly. Fathers with a vested interest are teaching kids to bulldog tackle and lead with their heads to to suck it up when their kids are obviously hurt. Daddy football scares the piss out of me because they aren't professionals. They don't have a clue about how to test for a concussion and all they care about is that their kid gets his reps and wins. Our school is moving to start a youth football league and having our staff teach the coaches how to teach proper technique so the kids will not get hurt and learn properly. Yeah my motivation is fine...I work 12-14 hour days during the season coaching football from grades 7-12 for less money than most people spend on a summer vacation weekend on the redneck riviera ....
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

hogsanity

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 10, 2017, 08:30:26 am
So much horseshit in that last paragraph...I teach four AP history classes AND Coach football AND spend 50 percent of my time teaching kids how to tackle properly. Fathers with a vested interest are teaching kids to bulldog tackle and lead with their heads to to suck it up when their kids are obviously hurt. Daddy football scares the piss out of me because they aren't professionals. They don't have a clue about how to test for a concussion and all they care about is that their kid gets his reps and wins. Our school is moving to start a youth football league and having our staff teach the coaches how to teach proper technique so the kids will not get hurt and learn properly. Yeah my motivation is fine...I work 12-14 hour days during the season coaching football from grades 7-12 for less money than most people spend on a summer vacation weekend on the redneck riviera ....

Tackle football should not start until 7th grade. Then the school coaches would not have to deal with all the bad habits kids learn form all the wanna be Saban coaching tackle to kids as young as 5 yrs old.

It cracks me up when I go to call youth ball on a Saturday and see 3rd graders with armband play cards and they are tying to run hunh 5 wide. No joke I did a game where one team threw 58 passes and completed FIVE. 4th grade game took 2hrs 30 mins because the "coach" thought he was Gus ( complete with windmilling arms trying to get them to hurry up ).

Knot2brite

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 08:37:22 am
Tackle football should not start until 7th grade. Then the school coaches would not have to deal with all the bad habits kids learn form all the wanna be Saban coaching tackle to kids as young as 5 yrs old.

It cracks me up when I go to call youth ball on a Saturday and see 3rd graders with armband play cards and they are tying to run hunh 5 wide. No joke I did a game where one team threw 58 passes and completed FIVE. 4th grade game took 2hrs 30 mins because the "coach" thought he was Gus ( complete with windmilling arms trying to get them to hurry up ).
Completely agree football should not start until they are in the 7th grade

HognotinMemphis

So he was right about middle school coaches being history teachers! :D ;D

You need to call Bielema and tell him you are available to teach his defense how to tackle. They cannot do it very well.

Knot2brite

Quote from: HoginMemphis on November 10, 2017, 09:32:00 am
So he was right about middle school coaches being history teachers! :D ;D

You need to call Bielema and tell him you are available to teach his defense how to tackle. They cannot do it very well.
The amount of time I spend screaming at the tv about our tackling is enormous

Dumb ole famrboy

But we don't Know what the base line occurrence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy is for the general population. I am sure it is higher for the population that participated in football but unless I have missed it - we still don't know what normal is.

IronHog

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 10, 2017, 08:40:34 am
Completely agree football should not start until they are in the 7th grade

I had one of those Lawrence Taylor face masks in pee wee

Stick it in people's ear hole and they went OUT
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

PorkRyan

I agree with you, the issue is with youth football.  My son played youth football for 3 seasons.  The first season I took him off the team 3 weeks into it.  Idiot coach ran the Oklahoma drill all day and used the big kids to "toughen" up the little kids.  Two years later we tried again and it was just as bad.  Moved him to another organization two years later and he had a good experience and developed a liking for football and ended up transferring to that school district.  He is now a 10th grader and has played since 7th grade.  The Jr high and High school experience has been great.  We are lucky he is still playing after the terrible youth experiences he had.  Football prior to 7th grade has no purpose.   Some of our best players in his class never played youth football.     

hogsanity

Quote from: PorkRyan on November 10, 2017, 01:37:09 pm
I agree with you, the issue is with youth football.  My son played youth football for 3 seasons.  The first season I took him off the team 3 weeks into it.  Idiot coach ran the Oklahoma drill all day and used the big kids to "toughen" up the little kids.  Two years later we tried again and it was just as bad.  Moved him to another organization two years later and he had a good experience and developed a liking for football and ended up transferring to that school district.  He is now a 10th grader and has played since 7th grade.  The Jr high and High school experience has been great.  We are lucky he is still playing after the terrible youth experiences he had.  Football prior to 7th grade has no purpose.   Some of our best players in his class never played youth football.     

When we went to the pre season meet and greet with my older son before 7th grade football started the coach asked us if he had played before. We said no, and the coach said good we wont have to take time to break bad habits.

elviscat

Go see the movie "Concussion" and you will see that football should be stopped. The game is not worth the consequences. We can find better ways to entertain ourselves. How many of you guys played football and had your globe smoked? I did and I remember how bad it was. I can prove that I'm a man with out playing football.