Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1 Game Out of 3rd Place After Saturday?

Started by revolution, February 19, 2014, 10:21:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

revolution

Every 7-6 team above us has a road game Saturday, except Ole Miss who plays Florida at home. That will probably be a loss for the Rebels.  Georgia is 8-6, but they play at SC on Saturday. So if we and Florida are the only road teams that win Saturday, we will be one game out of third place with four to play. Can you say double bye in the SEC Tournament?

rzrbackramsfan

Nice I'm just hoping for a sixth seed, that means one of the teams in the pack first game and then the third seeded game second game.  That may be the best thing actually.

nextlevel

Quote from: revolution on February 19, 2014, 10:21:04 pm
Every 7-6 team above us has a road game Saturday, except Ole Miss who plays Florida at home. That will probably be a loss for the Rebels.  Georgia is 8-6, but they play at SC on Saturday. So if we and Florida are the only road teams that win Saturday, we will be one game out of third place with four to play. Can you say double bye in the SEC Tournament?

A double bye could be counter-productive for this team's NCAA hopes...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

BENJAMINX

thirtythree

i am not sure a double bye is what we need. I think we need to play as many games as possible to increase the wins to get a better chance for the dance; if it is a possibility.

Yes, I know how that sounds, but I look ahead.

Mick Hogger

But with a double bye we also stand a better chance of reaching the championship game, which could help the selection committee's decision.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

cardsNhogs

LSU AT Kentucky
Ole Miss vs. Florida
Mizzou AT Alabama
Tenn AT Texas A&M

nextlevel

Quote from: Mick Hogger on February 20, 2014, 09:41:48 am
But with a double bye we also stand a better chance of reaching the championship game, which could help the selection committee's decision.

A single bye would add an additional neutral court win to the resume, assuming the team made the final in both scenarios. An impressive winning neutral court record would far out way making the finals unless they won the whole tourney.

The committee supposedly no longer looks at the "last x amount of games" to gauge if a team is playing well at that time.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jry04

I would rather play 1 or 2 mediocre/bad SEC teams in the SECT to pad our record then get a double bye and lose in the 1st or 2nd round. If our only chance to make the NCAAT were to win the SECT, then I would agree that a double bye is great. However, I think we can reach the NCAAT by winning 2 games in the SECT if our only loss between now and then is to UK.

Winning 2 games will be much tougher if we are a 3 or 4 seed.

The_Iceman

We actually don't want 3rd place to be honest. 6th place would be best because we won't have to face Florida or Kentucky if we win in the first round.

razorbackchamps94

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 20, 2014, 09:56:38 am
We actually don't want 3rd place to be honest. 6th place would be best because we won't have to face Florida or Kentucky if we win in the first round.
Seems like the ideal position to be in.

revolution

I think if we win out except Kentucky to finish 10-8 and in third place in the SEC, then win our first SEC Tourney game to put us in the semis against Kentucky, then give a good showing in that game, that would be enough.  We would have proven that we are the third best team in the SEC - that will get us in!  Obviously with that scenario, if we make the finals we are also in.

A double bye means we have proven we are top 3 or 4, then just one SEC tourney win solidifies that standing with a Tourney semifinal showing.  Only way we could get left out in that scenario is if Mizzou also finishes top 4, then they lose out to say Tenn. in the quarters.  Tenn. goes on to finals, and the Committee takes Fla, Kentucky, Tenn and then Mizzou over us since they beat us twice. 

But the double bye is preferable, because it means you've proven yourself over the other SEC contenders for a bid.

Breems

Quote from: cardsNhogs on February 20, 2014, 09:42:56 am
LSU AT Kentucky
Ole Miss vs. Florida
Mizzou AT Alabama
Tenn AT Texas A&M

LSU will lose. Ole Miss will get blown out at home again. Missouri *may* win against a terrible Bama team, but I doubt it. Tennessee is the most likely win @A&M, but A&M did win at Tennessee.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Johnboy

I can only focus on this road game at Miss St.  It is hard for me to look past that one.  Hogs beat Vanderbilt and played good vs Missouri, but looked horrible last night.  This stuff makes me nervous!

nextlevel

Quote from: chevymanar on February 20, 2014, 11:04:17 am
I can only focus on this road game at Miss St.  It is hard for me to look past that one.  Hogs beat Vanderbilt and played good vs Missouri, but looked horrible last night.  This stuff makes me nervous!

It is late in the season, the Carolina game was at home after a long string of emotional wins and losses in league play. This would be an ideal time for a bye week, but you do not get bye weeks in basketball.

But they did win.

Syracuse had an similar stretch starting the with the Duke win, win @Pitt and come from behind against NC State only to BC come in and beat them.

Arizona struggled with Utah last night as well, Tourney time is getting close and the season has been long for many teams.

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: revolution on February 20, 2014, 10:02:35 am
I think if we win out except Kentucky to finish 10-8 and in third place in the SEC, then win our first SEC Tourney game to put us in the semis against Kentucky, then give a good showing in that game, that would be enough.  We would have proven that we are the third best team in the SEC - that will get us in!  Obviously with that scenario, if we make the finals we are also in.

A double bye means we have proven we are top 3 or 4, then just one SEC tourney win solidifies that standing with a Tourney semifinal showing.  Only way we could get left out in that scenario is if Mizzou also finishes top 4, then they lose out to say Tenn. in the quarters.  Tenn. goes on to finals, and the Committee takes Fla, Kentucky, Tenn and then Mizzou over us since they beat us twice. 

But the double bye is preferable, because it means you've proven yourself over the other SEC contenders for a bid.

Absolutely! Very, very seldom does the 3rd seed in the SEC Tournament not make the NCAA tournament.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

azhog10

Quote from: nextlevel on February 19, 2014, 10:46:20 pm
A double bye could be counter-productive for this team's NCAA hopes...
If we finish 4th in the SEC pre tournament it would be hard to leave us out. That said, we would definitely only need 1 win in the tournament to get in.

TMc

They have got to win at State.., depends on how they shoot the ball. However, one thing I have noticed over the past few games is they are learning how to play the defense Coach wants.  I can see a big difference.

code red

Quote from: revolution on February 19, 2014, 10:21:04 pm
We are O for the last 13 at the Hump...Just sayin.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Fayettechill14

Do not want double-bye. We need wins, not byes.

Assuming all of these teams finish with the same conference record, here are the power rankings for the NCAAT:

1. Missouri
2. Tennessee
3. Arkansas
4. LSU
5. Ole Miss
6. Georgia

If we all finish 10-8, that's the order that the NCAAT will likely take the teams.

Ergo, we need Mizzou and Tennessee to lose the rest of their games and knock themselves off the bubble, while we need Georgia and Ole Miss to win theirs (except vs. ARK, of course).