Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could Fitz Hill be a potential candidate for AD?

Started by BigBabyHog71, November 15, 2017, 10:54:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBabyHog71

Has the Pedigree.. Has been a successful President for a college. And an Arkansas guy (Arkadelphia Area born and raised) And is virtually in our back yard!! Thoughts??

welchog

He didn't do so well as prez of Arkansas Baptist U.

GuvHog

Quote from: welchog on November 16, 2017, 05:41:19 am
He didn't do so well as prez of Arkansas Baptist U.

That's not true. When he took over as President of Arkansas Baptist College, the enrolment was barely 200 students and they were on the verge of losing their accreditation. By the time he stepped down last year, the enrollment had grown to over 1000 students, their revenue greatly increased, and they are no longer in danger of losing their accreditation. He actually did very well.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BigBabyHog71 on November 15, 2017, 10:54:30 pm
Has the Pedigree.. Has been a successful President for a college. And an Arkansas guy (Arkadelphia Area born and raised) And is virtually in our back yard!! Thoughts??

Heck my high school was bigger than the college he's been President of. Maybe they will hire it's Principal...................Not saying he's a bad choice but I'm betting there are others better.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 05:55:23 am
That's not true. When he took over as President of Arkansas Baptist College, the enrolment was barely 200 students and they were on the verge of losing their accreditation. By the time he stepped down last year, the enrollment had grown to over 1000 students, their revenue greatly increased, and they are no longer in danger of losing their accreditation. He actually did very well.

Please tell us how that relates to running a P5 athletic department.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2017, 06:13:32 am
Please tell us how that relates to running a P5 athletic department.

The guy has a Doctorate in School Administration so he's qualified as an administrator and he's a former University head coach so he'd be good at hiring Head coaches. He also has Arkansas ties which it's been said that the BOT wants the next AD to have.

ToddW

I think Dr. Hill is pushing for recruiting coordinator.  If you listen to the buzz during drive time (I know, I know) he mentions that position over and over and over.
I bleed Cardinal, Go Hogs!

Inhogswetrust

November 16, 2017, 06:52:09 am #7 Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:04:22 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 06:29:50 am
The guy has a Doctorate in School Administration so he's qualified as an administrator and he's a former University head coach so he'd be good at hiring Head coaches. He also has Arkansas ties which it's been said that the BOT wants the next AD to have.

Heck I'd prefer the current interim. She's more qualified because at least she's been employed in a P5 athletic department higher up job and worked at two of them for several years. By the way having been here four years then she also has Arkansas ties. So did Jeff Long after being here ten years. Frank had no ties before coming here. A Doctorate in School Administration is not the only qualification or the same as running a P5 athletic department. Is he a smart guy. Yes he is. Could he possibly do a good job, of course. Is he the most qualified candidate? That remains to be seen. I'd say no IF someone with P5 administration experience and recommendations applies. It takes more than a pice of paper and running a high school sized  not highly rated college to prove one is qualified to administer a P5 athletic department. IF he was to get the job I'd be fine with it if he's the most qualified of applicants, but let's go through the process of finding the best candidate. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2017, 06:52:09 am
Heck I'd prefer the current interim. She's more qualified because at least she's been employed in a P5 athletic department higher up job and worked at two of them for several years. By the way having been here four years then she also has Arkansas ties. So did Jeff Long after being here ten years. A Doctorate in School Administration is not the only qualification or the same as running a P5 athletic department. Is he a smart guy. Yes he is. Could he possibly do a good job, of course. Is he the most qualified candidate? That remains to be seen. I'd say no IF someone with P5 administration experience and recommendations applies. It takes more than a pice of paper and running a high school sized  not highly rated college to prove one is qualified to administer a P5 athletic department. IF he was to get the job I'd be fine with it if he's the most qualified of applicants, but let's go through the process of finding the best candidate. 

I agree with your last line. That was the problem I had with the way Mike Anderson (who I like) was hired and the way Bret Bielema was hired. In both instances, there was never any real coaching search to speak of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GuvHog on November 16, 2017, 06:59:31 am
I agree with your last line. That was the problem I had with the way Mike Anderson (who I like) was hired and the way Bret Bielema was hired. In both instances, there was never any real coaching search to speak of.

Maybe hiring Mike didn't have a wide search but I'd bet when he hired Brett it did. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2017, 07:05:37 am
Maybe hiring Mike didn't have a wide search but I'd bet when he hired Brett it did. 

I might be able to believe that if Bret and Jeff Long hadn't been corresponding from right after Bobby was terminated up until Bret was hired. The whole thing reeks of Long planning all along to hire Bret but couldn't get him til December of that year.

Hogeration

It won't happen but I like the thought. He has dedicated his time to increasing the level of athletics and athletes in the state. Not just talk but laid out plans. He should at least get a hard look.

The NewEra

I would like to see Fitz Hill officially involved in Arkansas Recruiting and High School Relations.  He has some great ideas.

I would like to see Bazzel officially involved in Razorback Foundation Relations and Fan Unification to involve those who feel they have been ignored and / or pushed aside over the Long tenure.  Bazzel is a great Arkansas Program Cheerleader and would be quite helpful going forward.

michiganhog65

Baptist couldn't make payroll and was almost bankrupt.

Justifiable Hogicide

Fitz Hill did a terrible job running Arkansas Baptist College and then "stepped down" as it's president with four years remaining on his contract.
Under his "leadership" the college:
Unable to make payroll;
Could not pay its bills;
Hit with multiple lawsuits;
Did not deliver the financial aid checks to its students;
Bounced checks including a $157,016 check to a Texas company for furniture;
Non-payment of its loans;
State filed a lien on its property for unpaid unemployment insurance;
Protests, students and staff calling for immediate ouster of President Fitz Hill;
Claims of no fiscal checks and balances at the college;

hawgball40

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on November 16, 2017, 10:53:10 am
Fitz Hill did a terrible job running Arkansas Baptist College and then "stepped down" as it's president with four years remaining on his contract.
Unable to make payroll;
Could not pay its bills;
Protests, students and staff calling for immediate ouster of President Fitz Hill;
Wasn't the university in trouble already when he took the job? If so, his failure is a bit more understandable. Seems he took the job thinking he could magically turn it around and then reality strikes that its never that easy.

Sivad

sigpooie

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on November 16, 2017, 10:53:10 am
Unable to make payroll;
Could not pay its bills;
Nope
The school's announcement made some acknowledgement of ABC's financial struggles but also pointed out Hill has grown the school significantly during his tenure as president
during Hill's tenure has increased from $2 million to as high as $21 million. Primarily, this increase was the result of record enrollment that soared from less than 200 students to nearly 1,200. Private fundraising efforts during President Hill's tenure are nearing $20 million. In May 2015, the College graduated the largest class (163) in its 131 year history
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 16, 2017, 07:05:37 am
Brent Venables said in an article  that he interviewed  for the Arkansas job in 2012 so there was some searching at least.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: ToddW on November 16, 2017, 06:34:59 am
I think Dr. Hill is pushing for recruiting coordinator.  If you listen to the buzz during drive time (I know, I know) he mentions that position over and over and over.

From what I hear from him that sounds like a good fit

Oklahawg

Could do a lot worse than hiring Fitz Hill. Won't have to go that far down the wish list, though.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra