Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Stephen Jones - - -

Started by Hawgphat, February 04, 2018, 10:16:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

liljo

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 06, 2018, 09:33:07 am
Then I have to ask.  Where were the offers from Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Alabama?  Hell, even Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss?  Why do you suppose his offers were from SMU, Kansas and Texas Tech?

Then I have to wonder, maybe everyone pretty well knew this kid was going to Arkansas and just didn't want to spend a lot of time going after a player they had precious little chance of getting. For SMU, he was local. Didn't cost much to reach out. Kansas and Texas Tech? I don't know what the connections there may be, but it is highly possible his choosing Arkansas was based only on receiving an offer from them.

I suspect there are kids all over the country like this. Just a thought.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

steveaustin69

Quote from: liljo on February 06, 2018, 09:38:31 am
Then I have to wonder, maybe everyone pretty well knew this kid was going to Arkansas and just didn't want to spend a lot of time going after a player they had precious little chance of getting. For SMU, he was local. Didn't cost much to reach out. Kansas and Texas Tech? I don't know what the connections there may be, but it is highly possible his choosing Arkansas was based only on receiving an offer from them.

Hudson Henry has offers from all over the country.  If you're talented enough you get offers.

EastexHawg

February 06, 2018, 09:44:21 am #102 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 09:59:49 am by EastexHawg
Quote from: BigE_23 on February 06, 2018, 08:27:37 am
And for all that dominance, they have a total of 5 state championships in 1948, 1957, and then 3 in the last 12 seasons.

For two of those state titles, JSJ was the QB. Regardless of how you, or anyone else wants to spin it, that says something.

2005 was their first state title in 48 years, and they didn't win another one until JSJ lead them to a championship in 2016 and repeated in 2017. (Fun fact for ya, the QB for that 2005 team was Matthew Stafford)

They lost an average of 1.45 games per year in the eleven years before their two state championships, with one state championship during that span and another loss in the championship game.  They lost an average of 1.5 games the last two years. 

I would say their success rate has been fairly uniform over that period.  The lost a fraction more than average overall the last couple of years, but they did win more championships.

The point is that no one changed Highland Park into a football power the last couple of years.  They already were one.  Patrick Mahomes took a historically mediocre Whitehouse High School program to something like 12-0 before losing a shootout in the third round in which he passed for over 600 yards.  Whitehouse was something like 21-2 with him at QB.  The year before he became the QB they were 5-6 and in the four years since they are a combined 19-23.  That's an example of a player who transformed a program.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: liljo on February 06, 2018, 09:38:31 am

There are not kids all over the country with eye-popping stats in the largest classification in one of the top 3 high school football states in the country who's grandpa is Jerry Jones.

And you might be right about everyone staying away because they assumed he was a lock for Arkansas. 

AugustaHog

Ok, I feel a little more comfortable giving an opinion on JSJ now that I've watched his highlight video. 
Positives:
-Playmaker
-Cool under pressure
-Good decision maker, even when running for his life
-Better than average wheels and elusive at that
-Accurate

Negatives:
-Small.  Not just height-wise, but weight as well.  I don't know how much more mass he can add and still be effective.  Taking shots from SEC LBs and DEs is no joke and that would be a concern moreso than the height for me. 
-Arm is only solid.  He floats it a bit which would be a Safety's dream.  The ball comes out of his hand differently.  It gets there and is ahead of those HS kids, but that will change against better comp.

He's very talented and has so many gifts that can't be taught.  I think he has the chops to do very well, but the arm strength gives me a bit of pause.  If he had some extra zip on the ball, I'd feel very confident that he'd win us quite a few games. 

Jim Harris

Quote from: BigE_23 on February 06, 2018, 08:27:37 am
And for all that dominance, they have a total of 5 state championships in 1948, 1957, and then 3 in the last 12 seasons.

For two of those state titles, JSJ was the QB. Regardless of how you, or anyone else wants to spin it, that says something.

2005 was their first state title in 48 years, and they didn't win another one until JSJ lead them to a championship in 2016 and repeated in 2017. (Fun fact for ya, the QB for that 2005 team was Matthew Stafford)

It's hard as heck to win a state championship in Texas HS football these days. After playing a 10-game season to make the playoffs, where every game will then be on as neutral a site as they can find, you have to win 6 more games in a row, more than half a season AFTER you've played a full regular season. John Stephen Jones accomplished nothing short of a miracle as far as a Texas HS quarterback and HP quarterback. The one break for Highland Park compared to, say, a few of the teams before his, is that they were able to reclassify to 5A from 6A, but 5A is loaded with powerhouses as well. Those are still schools with 2,000 kids or more.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

DLUXHOG

JSJ is a gamer and... he has Razorback ancestry....   winning a Texas state HS 5A or 6A football championship just once, not twice, is a tremendous feat...   that high school has more student population than most Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma average town size..  Please, let's all get on board and welcome him.......
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: EastexHawg on February 06, 2018, 09:44:21 am
They lost an average of 1.45 games per year in the eleven years before their two state championships, with one state championship during that span and another loss in the championship game.  They lost an average of 1.5 games the last two years. 

I would say their success rate has been fairly uniform over that period.  The lost a fraction more than average overall the last couple of years, but they did win more championships.

The point is that no one changed Highland Park into a football power the last couple of years.  They already were one.  Patrick Mahomes took a historically mediocre Whitehouse High School program to something like 12-0 before losing a shootout in the third round in which he passed for over 600 yards.  Whitehouse was something like 21-2 with him at QB.  The year before he became the QB they were 5-6 and in the four years since they are a combined 19-23.  That's an example of a player who transformed a program.
ok. so, he won at a rate equal to 5* after 5* QB, whilest besting them all #s wise. Got it.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hawg1221

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on February 06, 2018, 09:33:07 am
Then I have to ask.  Where were the offers from Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State, Alabama?  Hell, even Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Missouri, Ole Miss?  Why do you suppose his offers were from SMU, Kansas and Texas Tech?

Baker Mayfield says hi.

arthurhawgerelli

I'm not quite sure everybody is on the same page here.

Jones will not be ready to start for the Hogs as a freshman.  I'll go ahead and bet my life on that.  Down the road? Who knows. 

The question seems to be did we only show interest in him because of his grandpa?  I think we still recruit him no matter what his last name is.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 06, 2018, 11:16:57 am
Baker Mayfield says hi.

Good analogy.  Mayfield's best offer was Rice:

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Baker-Mayfield-21632/RecruitInterests

Texas Tech seems to have an eye for under appreciated talent.  The Red Raiders were Wes Welker's only offer:

https://247sports.com/Player/Wes-Welker-75912/high-school-130319

Recruiting services are all about measurables and being recognized early.  There is no great trick in spotting size, body-type, speed and athleticism.  Football after high school is that, but it's more than that, too.

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

steveaustin69

Wildhog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 11:53:08 am
Exception to the rule.

It should also be noted that Baker Mayfield is like three inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than JSJ.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

liljo

Quote from: steveaustin69 on February 06, 2018, 09:40:33 am
Hudson Henry has offers from all over the country.  If you're talented enough you get offers.
Two completely different stories. And no, you don't always.
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

liljo

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 06, 2018, 11:54:47 am
It should also be noted that Baker Mayfield is like three inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than JSJ.

As a high school Sr?

RME

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

RME

Quote from: ricepig on February 06, 2018, 12:21:32 pm
Mayfield was 6' 3/8" at the Sr Bowl.

Maybe that hit against the concrete retaining wall took out 5/8 of an inch

steveaustin69

Quote from: liljo on February 06, 2018, 11:59:28 am
There are exceptions to the rule very often.

Of raw numbers? Yea, sure. Relative to their population? No. There are 1,300 or so 3 stars a year. There are usually 30 or so 5 stars.  From 2002-2008 17% of 5 stars were drafted in the first round of the draft; 53% drafted in any round. 17% of 1,300 is 228; in other words, more players than are drafted period. 

liljo

I think the point is that kids are often overlooked for any number of reasons. I don't think anyone is comparing Mayfield and Jones physically, just that both are/were lightly recruited. Mayfield turned out to be a GREAT player for OU. It is possible Jones will do the same at Arkansas.

I think the kid has a lot of upside, and while I don't expect him to start as a freshman, who really knows? With the new offense, new coaches, who really knows? I think he will be a benefit to the University of Arkansas in time. And if he DOES flourish, I'd hate to be one of the doubters here that wrote him off before he took his first snap. Or wrote him off just because of who he is. That's really unfair.

Here's one Hog fan rooting for all the players we DO get. I'll leave it up to the coaches to do what Coach Morris says: "You keep giving us the 'want to' and we'll keep giving you the 'how to.'"

WPS!

bphi11ips

Recruiting evaluations are pretty good when it comes to predicting success, especially at the 4 and 5 star level. But ranking services miss a lot, too:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-pro-bowl-rosters-do-recruiting-star-ratings-actually-predict-nfl-success/amp/

GoHogs1091

John Stephen Jones actually fits Morris' offensive system better than Cole Kelley.

John Stephen Jones has the intangibles and the talent that we have been missing at the QB position since Matt Jones was our QB.

RME

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 06, 2018, 01:13:44 pm
John Stephen Jones actually fits Morris' offensive system better than Cole Kelley.

John Stephen Jones has the intangibles and the talent that we have been missing at the QB position since Matt Jones was our QB.

Holy. This board is on FIRE today.

steveaustin69

Matt Jones was 6'6", 245 and ran a 4.38 forty. He wasn't good because of his intangibles; he was good because he was a freak of nature.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 06, 2018, 11:16:57 am
Baker Mayfield says hi.
Once in a lifetime kind of player.  I hope the comparison turns out to be accurate.  I just wouldn't bet the house on it.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 06, 2018, 11:14:37 am
ok. so, he won at a rate equal to 5* after 5* QB, whilest besting them all #s wise. Got it.

Mahomes is 6'3" and weighs 230 pounds.  He also has the strongest arm in...well, anywhere.  That's one difference. The other is that he played for a high school that has completed one decade in its history...the 1970s...with a winning record.

War Boar

When I saw that he completed 70% of his passes, I assumed I would see a ton of high percentage throws on hudl. What I saw were a lot of deep balls that hit the receiver in stride. The throws to the back corner of the end zone were impressive as well.  But the play that stuck out the most was the offsides play. The way he immediately went deep and took a shot on a free play was something you don't often see in high school football. I'll take a kid with a high football IQ and a ton of heart any day of the week. His ability to extend the play and make something happen is pretty nice too. It doesn't hurt that he actually wants to be a Hog.

liljo

Quote from: Ark13 on February 06, 2018, 03:57:18 pm
When I saw that he completed 70% of his passes, I assumed I would see a ton of high percentage throws on hudl. What I saw were a lot of deep balls that hit the receiver in stride. The throws to the back corner of the end zone were impressive as well.  But the play that stuck out the most was the offsides play. The way he immediately went deep and took a shot on a free play was something you don't often see in high school football. I'll take a kid with a high football IQ and a ton of heart any day of the week. His ability to extend the play and make something happen is pretty nice too. It doesn't hurt that he actually wants to be a Hog.

No sir, it does not! ! ! ! I hope he does well and can't wait to see the competition at QB develop.

WPS!

Hawgphat

Does anyone have any data concerning his foot speed?  Not just his timed sprints, but his HS history - if any - of designed QB runs and/or scrambling success statistics.  With his current relatively diminutive size, how important a factor could his speed and elusiveness elements play in determining whether or when - or under what conditions or circumstances - Jones might most likely see on-field playing time?

Wildhog

I'm excited about Connor Noland.  That kid's an elite talent.
1909/1964/1965/1977

hogcrazy2206

For all you offers matter.  Guess how many offers Darren McFadden had??????

This local weather needs to improve fast.  We got folks on here about to call up the NFL Eagles and tell those sumbitches to get off their asses and bring it on, we's ready cause we gots the purse-e-nell, the Koachin, and the want to, to up and kick their asses.  Yep, need folks to just get away from the computer, cell phone and such and let Hogville breathe a bit.  This keeps up much longer and we gonna be a team of 5 stars with nothin but the best coaching ever, even better than Bret's best staff ever and maybe even the best ever in football.  Break out the Rainbow Stew.

Soooie21

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on February 06, 2018, 11:17:07 am
I'm not quite sure everybody is on the same page here.

Jones will not be ready to start for the Hogs as a freshman.  I'll go ahead and bet my life on that.  Down the road? Who knows. 

The question seems to be did we only show interest in him because of his grandpa?  I think we still recruit him no matter what his last name is.
When was the last time a freshman started from day 1 at Ark...can't think of one..

Wildhog

Quote from: hogcrazy2206 on February 06, 2018, 05:41:57 pm

McFadden committed pretty early and didn't report most of his offers.  He could have gone anywhere.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Rudy Baylor

Quote from: bphi11ips on February 05, 2018, 12:19:09 pm
Did you know Doug Pederson was coaching high school 9 years ago?

yeah, after a 12 year career as an NFL QB under people like Andy Reid and etc

redneckfriend

Hell's bells- he's Jerry Jones' grandkid- you offer a scholarship and you give him every chance to make it. This isn't rocket science and he will probably never start a game for Arkansas. For all anybody knows all of his other offers were cynical attempts to get Jones to donate to the school. I mean it is just a little suspicious that the big boys in the Texas/Oklahoma area didn't offer but then every now and then, not very often so then odds are against it, some kid like this surprises everybody and things click. Hope springs eternal.

MuskogeeHogFan

It's funny how many seem to feel the need to take one side or the other here. The kid is a winner and a competitor, in HS anyway. He may never amount to more than being a scout team QB here. On the other hand, who knows what he might accomplish? Jerry Jones being who he is in football and to the University of Arkansas no doubt helped him get a shot at Arkansas. He is a "legacy" player and that is just fine. It would be wrong if he weren't.

That doesn't mean that he will emerge as a starter eventually, but it also doesn't mean that he won't. I'm glad he is on the team and I am sure he will have every opportunity to compete for playing time just like everyone else. There isn't anything wrong with being given a "hand up" and an "opportunity", but it is up to him to make the most of that chance. It will be more difficult for him because he has to be so substantially better than anyone else to play simply because of his family connections. There will be enormous pressure on the kid. More than others who are competing for playing time.

If he never becomes a starter or even a back-up it isn't going to hurt the program either way. It's all up to him now. How he turns out is all up to him.

As the Zen Master said, "we'll see".
Go Hogs Go!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: 12247 on February 06, 2018, 05:42:17 pm
This local weather needs to improve fast.  We got folks on here about to call up the NFL Eagles and tell those sumbitches to get off their asses and bring it on, we's ready cause we gots the purse-e-nell, the Koachin, and the want to, to up and kick their asses.  Yep, need folks to just get away from the computer, cell phone and such and let Hogville breathe a bit.  This keeps up much longer and we gonna be a team of 5 stars with nothin but the best coaching ever, even better than Bret's best staff ever and maybe even the best ever in football.  Break out the Rainbow Stew.

We also have a bunch of baby wipes ready to pull the plug on the program because some folks think we may have a coach who knows what he's doing.

[sarc]The audacity.!? Why would anyone ever think Jerry Jones' grandson would be anything other than a "clipboard holding, thank you, legacy scholly" thrown out to one of the greatest Razorbacks of all time..? [/sarcasm]
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

BigE_23

February 06, 2018, 07:37:43 pm #140 Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 10:20:06 pm by BigE_23
Quote from: hogcrazy2206 on February 06, 2018, 05:41:57 pm

Because he told a lot of coaches they were wasting their time by recruiting him. He was all Hog, no questions asked.

Hogfan46

JSJ will blossom the longer he is here. I think we will all be very happy he is on the roster as a redshirt Junior. 

liljo

Quote from: Hogfan46 on February 06, 2018, 09:00:49 pm
JSJ will blossom the longer he is here. I think we will all be very happy he is on the roster as a redshirt Junior.

That's about what I'm expecting as well. In the meantime he will compete. And compete hard. And competition makes everyone better.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Soooie21 on February 06, 2018, 05:55:00 pm
When was the last time a freshman started from day 1 at Ark...can't think of one..
Mitch Mustain should have...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bennyl08

Watching his highlights, he has good accuracy. Seems to always hit his receiver in stride and when he doesn't, he's placing the ball away from the defender with purpose.

His arm strength isn't great, but it isn't bad either. He can make all the throws he'll need to make. Especially in an offense like Morris's where he could go an entire game without a pass ever going more than 5 yards downfield (though hopefully Morris adds some more downfield throws to the playbook).

His speed looks similar to that of Noland's, though while Conner is pretty agile, Jones shows to be even more slippery.

JSJ's release as is is pretty moderate in speed. Not amazing, but not too bad either. He has a really weird hitch in his throwing motion which if you could get rid of that, he'd be well above average.

Of course, the biggest issue is size. Height is a small issue. Seeing over the OL will be tough and he'll be more dependent on windows. Balls being swatted at the line as well. Requires more play action bootlegs which can limit the playcalling. Especially if like many HS players, his numbers are exaggerated. Dennis Johnson magically shrank 2 inches from HS to the pros. If JSJ really is 5'11, it might not be too big a deal. If he's 5'9.5, then it does become a big issue at the college level.

His weight is a bigger issue though. 175 lbs? Manziel left college weight 30 pounds more. Brees was taller and his combine was 40 pounds more though he's dropped about 10 pounds now that he's older and wiser at avoiding hits.

Overall, he's a decent prospect that would be an afterthought among most fans if his last name wasn't Jones. However, his resume is good enough to be a bubble prospect worth taking a risk on regardless of his last name. The big controversy, IMO, is taking a bubble, project player in a tight class. Of course, with the coaching change limiting the amount of time in recruiting, he could be scrambling to fill out the small class in the first place.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Soooie21

bphi11ips

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 07, 2018, 12:03:44 am
Watching his highlights, he has good accuracy. Seems to always hit his receiver in stride and when he doesn't, he's placing the ball away from the defender with purpose.

His arm strength isn't great, but it isn't bad either. He can make all the throws he'll need to make. Especially in an offense like Morris's where he could go an entire game without a pass ever going more than 5 yards downfield (though hopefully Morris adds some more downfield throws to the playbook).

His speed looks similar to that of Noland's, though while Conner is pretty agile, Jones shows to be even more slippery.

JSJ's release as is is pretty moderate in speed. Not amazing, but not too bad either. He has a really weird hitch in his throwing motion which if you could get rid of that, he'd be well above average.

Of course, the biggest issue is size. Height is a small issue. Seeing over the OL will be tough and he'll be more dependent on windows. Balls being swatted at the line as well. Requires more play action bootlegs which can limit the playcalling. Especially if like many HS players, his numbers are exaggerated. Dennis Johnson magically shrank 2 inches from HS to the pros. If JSJ really is 5'11, it might not be too big a deal. If he's 5'9.5, then it does become a big issue at the college level.

His weight is a bigger issue though. 175 lbs? Manziel left college weight 30 pounds more. Brees was taller and his combine was 40 pounds more though he's dropped about 10 pounds now that he's older and wiser at avoiding hits.

Overall, he's a decent prospect that would be an afterthought among most fans if his last name wasn't Jones. However, his resume is good enough to be a bubble prospect worth taking a risk on regardless of his last name. The big controversy, IMO, is taking a bubble, project player in a tight class. Of course, with the coaching change limiting the amount of time in recruiting, he could be scrambling to fill out the small class in the first place.

Sometimes I give you a hard time, but you do know what you're looking at.  If his name weren't Jones, everyone would be doing backflips over his numbers and championships and film.  I'm sure JSJ has had plenty of great development to this point.  About the only thing I see he needs to work on is his release point.  If he can release it more like Tom Brady, at the highest point of extension, he can be something special. 

steveaustin69

February 07, 2018, 08:12:50 am #147 Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:28:30 am by steveaustin69
Quote from: bphi11ips on February 07, 2018, 08:03:58 am
Sometimes I give you a hard time, but you do know what you're looking at.  If his name weren't Jones, everyone would be doing backflips over his numbers and championships and film.  I'm sure JSJ has had plenty of great development to this point.  About the only thing I see he needs to work on is his release point.  If he can release it more like Tom Brady, at the highest point of extension, he can be something special.

Now we've got something special akin to Tom Brady. Yesterday he was Matt Jones. Jesus.

Is it that hard to say he's got some good film and is a proven winner; we should be excited he chose the Hogs?

Pork Twain

Since when is signing a good player, that comes from a long line of hogs, anything but a great thing?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 07, 2018, 08:23:58 am
Since when is signing a good player, that comes from a long line of hogs, anything but a great thing?

Bingo! +1000
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)