Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Mauk is fighting colorectal cancer

Started by jbcarol, June 23, 2015, 07:34:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Glendale football coach Mike Mauk didn't tell his players about his recent cancer diagnosis.

The Falcons' June 18-21 trip to Derby, Kansas, for a 7-on-7 passing tournament didn't seem like the right time. Mauk kept his colorectal cancer diagnosis quiet for three weeks.

Quote"I haven't really said too much to (the players), I didn't think it was relevant to them at the time," Mauk said.

Mauk begins treatment in July. He said it shouldn't interfere with the Glendale football team's upcoming trips to Springdale, Arkansas, and Hoover, Alabama, for two more 7-on-7 tournament weekends.

"I'm going to deal with it the best I can. I'm very optimistic about it, but I know there will be some difficult days ahead," Mauk said.

One of Mauk's sons helped news of the diagnosis go public. In a Fathers' Day Instagram post, University of Missouri quarterback Maty Mauk posted a picture of himself with coach Mike Mauk along with a message.

"Whoever may read this, my family asks and thanks you for prayers for my dad. He has a fight ahead of him to get through cancer, but winning is the one thing he does best and he WILL beat this," ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ozarks Sports Zone ‏@OzarksOzone  7h7 hours ago Missouri, USA
Thoughts and prayers with Glendale football coach Mike Mauk as he battles Colorectal Cancer; http://bit.ly/1SHtq0a 

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 7h7 hours ago

Missouri QB Maty Mauk dedicates season to his cancer-stricken dad  http://es.pn/1SKQKs5

Quote"My dad, he has a big influence on everything I do and who I am," Mauk said. "This is going to be one for him, for sure. I don't even want to talk about it to anybody. I just want to go out there and play. I don't need to tell you what I'm going to do. Just watch me. I'm going to do it.

"That's what I've got to say about that."

mizzouman

Mauk was also separated his shoulder, his throwing shoulder, for last half of the season.  Took shots before and at half time.  Not many people know this.

jbcarol

Glendale Football ‏@Glendale_FB 23h23 hours ago

Prayers for Coach Mauk. Surgery this am to remove infection & manage blood clots in his legs b4 getting back on track w/ chemo. #MAUKSTRONG

Glendale Football ‏@Glendale_FB 16h16 hours ago

UPDATE: Surgery went well, and he is resting. It looks like he'll be released on Monday at the earliest. #MAUKSTRONG

jbcarol

Glendale Football ‏@Glendale_FB Jan 13

UPDATE: Coach Mauk was released and is home! Still a ways to go, but this is a big step. Continued prayers appreciated. #MAUKSTRONG

jbcarol

Glendale Football
‏@Glendale_FB
Need more prayers. Coach is back in the hospital with infection in his leg bone. Need infection gone so chemo can continue. #MAUKSTRONG

Dropkick

jbcarol

Glendale Football ‏@Glendale_FB 15h15 hours ago

UPDATE: Coach Mauk successfully completed the 6th round of chemo out of 12. Halfway Point!! #MAUKSTRONG

jbcarol