Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 20m20 minutes ago

ICYMI: Ranking the five most important games on Tennessee's 2015 schedule. http://bit.ly/1gvXMFo 

QuoteARKANSAS (Oct. 3 in Knoxville)

The clash between two of the SEC's rising programs falls in a key spot on the schedule for both teams. For Tennessee, the trip to Florida and visit from Georgia sandwich the visit from Bret Bielema's Razorbacks. The Hogs play Texas A&M in a neutral-site contest, visit Knoxville and then go to Alabama.

The Vols' schedule is littered with toss-up games like this one, and the direction of the season will hinge on Tennessee's record in those swing games.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 7h7 hours ago

Health, handling the hype + more -- five key questions for Tennessee as #Vols start practice. http://bit.ly/1fWFSL6 

QuoteInjuries can derail any team in any season.

Through the recruiting efforts of head coach Butch Jones and his staff, Tennessee has leveled the playing field in terms of talent. The Vols will go into every game this season knowing the roster is good enough not only to compete but to win. That's not been the case in recent years, when Tennessee had to punch above its weight to remain competitive.

The Vols have quality depth at some positions, but they're probably a year away in that regard across the board.

Losing starting quarterback Josh Dobbs would be catastrophic...

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

younghog

http://tennessee.247sports.com/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-opponent-preview-Arkansas-Razorbacks-38484449

Obviously Arkansas-Tennessee isn't — and shouldn't be, frankly — seen in the same stratosphere as Auburn-Alabama from a national perspective, but good luck finding a more intriguing matchup in the first half of the season in SEC play. This game is absolutely, positively huge for the Vols and Razorbacks.

Can Tennessee beat one of the ranked powers from the SEC West? Can Arkansas finally find a way to win an SEC road game? Can Arkansas slow Tennessee's plethora of skill-position standouts and, if necessary, keep up with the Vols on the scoreboard in a barnburner? Can Tennessee get its defense off the field against Arkansas' rushing attack and then find a way to generate big plays against a scrappy Hogs defense? There are so, so many fascinating story lines about this game.

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

jbcarol

Dustin Dopirak ‏@TennesseeBeat Aug 3

Jones updates on Pearson, Mosley, others http://dlvr.it/Bkb3BC

QuoteButch Jones said at his season-opening press conference Monday that senior wide receiver Von Pearson's suspension is both a school and football suspension and reiterated that redshirt freshman lineman Charles Mosley's discipline will be handled "internally."

Pearson has been suspended indefinitely from team activities since he was named a suspect in a rape investigation in April. He has not been charged.
Mosley was arrested in July for DUI and speeding. He has a hearing scheduled for Oct. 15.

Jones also said that freshman wide receiver Preston Williams will be held out of practice until questions about his eligibility are solved. He reportedly has to re-take a standardized test.

Jones said defensive ends LaTroy Lewis and Andrew Butcher and defensive back Max Arnold will be out for the start of practice with injuries. He said he expects them to be healthy by the Sept. 5 opener against Bowling Green at Nissan Stadium in Nashville...

PorkSoda

To me this game will be the litmus test of whether BB is ahead of or behind schedule.  Both BB and BJ have started building their respective programs about the same time after inheriting a program in shambles.  Both are looking to bolster their rise to the top of their respective divisions.

This is a very intersting match up indeed.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

dffhogs

That was a good read, thanks for posting.

BTW, my tickets arrived today....Weeeeee - Go Hogs!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

One thing I know from my day in Knoxville a couple of months ago is that UT fans are no more certain of a win in this one than we are. They believe if there is any edge it's that the game is in Knoxville. No one can really predict this one until we see how each team is performing right up to the Saturday before the game...

The attitude in Knoxville changed toward Arkansas right after DMAC put it on them. Joe Adams put the nail in the coffin of their arrogance... This is a fanbase you can now tailgate with and have a good time. I recommend that anyone with a yacht or houseboat get it on the Tennessee river for this one. You won't be disappointed..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

ChromDome35

Quote from: PorkSoda on August 04, 2015, 01:25:36 pm
To me this game will be the litmus test of whether BB is ahead of or behind schedule.  Both BB and BJ have started building their respective programs about the same time after inheriting a program in shambles.  Both are looking to bolster their rise to the top of their respective divisions.

So if he wins he's ahead and if he loses he's behind?  I guess if we have a tie then he's right on schedule. :D

hogfan14

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on August 04, 2015, 03:24:20 pm
One thing I know from my day in Knoxville a couple of months ago is that UT fans are no more certain of a win in this one than we are. They believe if there is any edge it's that the game is in Knoxville. No one can really predict this one until we see how each team is performing right up to the Saturday before the game...

The attitude in Knoxville changed toward Arkansas right after DMAC put it on them. Joe Adams put the nail in the coffin of their arrogance... This is a fanbase you can now tailgate with and have a good time. I recommend that anyone with a yacht or houseboat get it on the Tennessee river for this one. You won't be disappointed..!

Their message board fans basically say they expect to beat us because "Jones has recruited much better and it's in Knoxville, it would be a failure for him to lose with more talent"

I think it will be a good game either way

raj005

Thanks for the article, it made me even more exicted for my first trip to UT.  Wish I still had my boat but sadly it was sold last fall.  Would love to see the Volunteer Navy from the water one day though!  Just may have to make it in an inflatable "yacht" or something equivalent.   
Go Hogs!

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 04, 2015, 03:34:28 pm
Their message board fans basically say they expect to beat us because "Jones has recruited much better and it's in Knoxville, it would be a failure for him to lose with more talent"

Yeah, I guess the guys I talked to in person believed me when I said *'s don't mean cock. People tend to listen when you point out UT's (Both TX & TN) longstanding winning history off the field vs on the field. LOL..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChromDome35 on August 04, 2015, 03:29:02 pm
So if he wins he's ahead and if he loses he's behind?  I guess if we have a tie then he's right on schedule. :D
lol, just saying they are a good comparison for us.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

flagstaffhog

Appreciate you sharing the article, younghog. I too thought it was a good read.

I hope we curb stomp those boys at tenner...

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Paul

If both teams are undefeated going into that game, i think the winner will go on to challenge for it's division title.  The loser will not.

nwahogfan1

Which team has the greatest resources and national appeal?  I think Tn.  So if CBB wins the game at Tennessee then it should be considered a huge win for Arkansas and what CBB is doing here. 

Go Hogs.

870hogfan

Butch may be the better recruiter but Coach Bielema is an better developer of talent.

mhsbc59

Quote from: Paul on August 04, 2015, 04:49:42 pm
If both teams are undefeated going into that game, i think the winner will go on to challenge for it's division title.  The loser will not.

Arkansas must win if they want to win the West. Tennessee can lose this game and still win the East.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

jkstock04

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 04, 2015, 03:34:28 pm

To me that's a fair assessment. Look at the young talent they have compiled...it's quite unbelievable...that they have been able to recruit so well in recent years despite being down for so long. 

One thing is for sure, this will be the biggest (someone above said litmus test) game of Bielemas career as the Hogs head coach. If we can come out of Knoxville with the W that's gonna be a big time signature win. If not...well no doubt we will see a lot of finger pointing on one side and the excuse machine will come out on the other.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

threeNout

it's going to be a big game, we should be 4-0 going in.

Bigdavis

BearsBisonsBoars

This is probably overly detailed, but I'm bored.  8)

As I see it,

-losing handily or worse is behind schedule.

-losing a close game is on schedule due to home field advantage and general "fog of war/luck". (Blah blah, no moral victories  ::))

-winning a close game due to a TN mistake is on schedule

-winning a close game due to good AR play at the end is a little ahead of schedule

and obviously,
-winning handily or better is ahead of schedule.

duckman

Second biggest game on the schedule, A&M is the key.  If we come into the game 4-0 we will curb stomp Tenner, we are a nightmare match-up wise for them.

Hog N Bama

I believe McElroy said TN weakness is their DL. Match that up with our OL and well.... you get the picture.
Second, our DL has depth and will hopefully be able to keep pressure on Dobbs the entire game....that is, when Dobbs is on the field. ;) :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 05, 2015, 05:55:25 am
I believe McElroy said TN weakness is their DL. Match that up with our OL and well.... you get the picture.
Second, our DL has depth and will hopefully be able to keep pressure on Dobbs the entire game....that is, when Dobbs is on the field. ;) :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
They have one of the best pass rushers in the SEC East in Derek Barnett. They also have plenty of depth and brought in highly rated Kahlil McKenzie, Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, Andrew Butcher, and Darrell Taylor. DL is not a area of concern for TN as far as depth and skill. If McElroy stated that I would be concerned he is not doing his research. Not to mention they have one of the better DBs in the SEC East named Cameron Sutton. I really think Butch Jones is creating a monster I just hope our style of play and player development will be more than enough to come out with a win.

DeltaBoy

In the Media's eyes this will be the watershed game for the Hogs this year. I expect they are right this could make or break our Season.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on August 05, 2015, 06:30:49 am
They have one of the best pass rushers in the SEC East in Derek Barnett. They also have plenty of depth and brought in highly rated Kahlil McKenzie, Kyle Phillips, Shy Tuttle, Andrew Butcher, and Darrell Taylor. DL is not a area of concern for TN as far as depth and skill. If McElroy stated that I would be concerned he is not doing his research. Not to mention they have one of the better DBs in the SEC East named Cameron Sutton. I really think Butch Jones is creating a monster I just hope our style of play and player development will be more than enough to come out with a win.
It may have been their OL...I get things wrong in my old age. It was on one side of the ball at the line. 50% chance of getting it right  ;D

Biggus Piggus

The question marks for Tennessee on defense are DT/NG, MLB and the secondary. Their veteran DBs are slow. Their recruits are fast. The Vols could be in transition between veterans and youth, and by Oct. 3 who knows what the secondary could look like.

The Vols' outside linebackers might be good enough to carry a new MLB. They really are pretty sexy at the OLBs and DEs. Tennessee also will be tempted to throw true freshmen into the breach at DT/NG. Those recruits are huge but ... freshmen.

The Tennessee offensive line will probably determine their season. It was makeshift last year, and depth is only modestly improved. Nobody on that line is an all-league contender. They have lots of skill position talent, just wonder about the downside risk with the Oline.

Feels to me like Arkansas could have favorable personnel matchups against Tennessee.
[CENSORED]!

razorsharptusk

Anyone concerned about what the mindset of the team will be going into this game with the Alabama game, at Alabama, following?  That is going to be a  brutal stretch right there.  3 away games back to back and we need all three of them.  I guess it's time to put up or shut up as that is life in the SEC.
GO HOGS!!

hogfan14

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 05, 2015, 09:28:15 am
It may have been their OL...I get things wrong in my old age. It was on one side of the ball at the line. 50% chance of getting it right  ;D

Yeah they were pretty bad on the OL last year. Big reason their offense was better when Dobbs came in was because he could run around and make plays

HogWildBison2011

Quote from: Hog N Bama on August 05, 2015, 09:28:15 am
Its all good!

MJ2

Quote from: duckman on August 05, 2015, 01:45:12 am
Second biggest game on the schedule, A&M is the key.  If we come into the game 4-0 we will curb stomp Tenner, we are a nightmare match-up wise for them.

I think you're onto something.   A win vs A&M might lead to a good performance at TN, but a loss vs A&M could lead to a lot of pressure on the Hogs and a mini implosion during the middle of the season with the way the schedule is laid out.

GuvHog

Quote from: razorsharptusk on August 05, 2015, 09:45:37 am
Anyone concerned about what the mindset of the team will be going into this game with the Alabama game, at Alabama, following?  That is going to be a  brutal stretch right there.  3 away games back to back and we need all three of them.  I guess it's time to put up or shut up as that is life in the SEC.

Not at all. CBB is one of those HCs that believe highly in taking one game at a time so IMHO Tennesssee will have the Hogs 100% full undivided attention.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

ALLVOL

Von Pearson will  not be charged. A DNA test cleared him.
I'm glad the kid didn't do it. He should be back with the team soon.

Paul

Quote from: mhsbc59 on August 04, 2015, 06:47:58 pm
Arkansas must win if they want to win the West. Tennessee can lose this game and still win the East.
maybe...but then they'll have to then beat Bama or Georgia.

nchogg

I lived in TN a few years and I had a lot of fun talking football with the fans and telling them were were going to kick there a**. When we won they always said we deserved it and when we lost they rubbed it in. We will win this game this year. I see coach B on fire this season and he will not over look any team. Go Hogs!

tangman

I believe we get them between OK and FL, so maybe they will be demoralized over an OK loss and/or looking ahead to their big rivalry game. They have recruited well, but the young players obviously will still be learning about life in the SEC. Their QB is a threat. I'm looking forward to this one, but would much rather get them in Fayetteville. As well as they are recruiting, we better pick on them while we can. I like our chances, but can see it going either way.  :razorback:

robs4516

Quote from: tangman on August 05, 2015, 05:23:55 pm
I believe we get them between OK and FL, so maybe they will be demoralized over an OK loss and/or looking ahead to their big rivalry game.

We actually play them between FL and GA. They play OK a couple of games before Florida. There's no way they can direct their focus solely at us, with that schedule.
First of all, I didn't start it...
Second of all, they were all still alive when I walked out

tangman

Quote from: robs4516 on August 05, 2015, 05:34:31 pm
We actually play them between FL and GA. They play OK a couple of games before Florida. There's no way they can direct their focus solely at us, with that schedule.
That's what I get for going off memory instead of checking their schedule. Looks like I will be rooting for FL next month. 

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP  14h14 hours ago
Apologies (again) to freshman DE Darrell Taylor for using him to show how comically large Kahlil McKenzie is.

Kahlil McKenzie's circle of life debut should be something else, particularly if Butch follows thru & pairs him against Big Charles Mosley.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 Aug 4

Butch said #Vols put in approximately 1/9th of their scheme today. That seems oddly and hilariously specific.

jbcarol

Tennessee is in our 2015 previews of SEC football teams

QuoteCoordinators: After a two-year absence from football, Mike DeBord takes over as Tennessee's offensive coordinator. DeBord was Central Michigan's head coach at Central Michigan (sic) from 2000 to 2003 when Jones was his offensive coordinator. DeBord joined Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2004 and was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2006.

This year's schedule

S5 Bowling Green
    S12 Oklahoma
    S19 Western Carolina
    S26 @Florida
    O3 Arkansas
    O10 Georgia
    O24 @Alabama

Crystal ball: It will be interesting to see how the Vols handle the heightened expectations. The Vols were ranked (25th) in the pre-season coaches poll for the first time since 2008. A win over Oklahoma on Sept. 12 at Neyland...

Lake City Hog

HF#1

They are the one team getting hype that really shouldn't be getting it.  They are a year or more behind where we are. 

They have a lot of young talent but it's very young and very raw.  I'd compare them to Petrino's 2009 squad but not as good.

Bielema is developing his guys faster than Butch is.  We will be 3-5 wins better than Tennessee
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hawgzinbowlz

We should handle business in Knoxville.

" GO HOGS "

Bubba's Bruisers

I'll take my chances with BB, his players and his system over Butch and his.  Without a blink.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

jbcarol

Dustin Dopirak ‏@TennesseeBeat 5h5 hours ago

Butch Jones said he didn't see maturity today in practice.

Jones asked about Pearson. Said he can't say much about the procedure that allowed it

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Lake City Hog

Tennessee---Wins--Utah St-Ark St-Chatt-USCe-Kent-Vandy and Iowa in their bowl.
In my mind not a very impressive record, especially when you look at the losses.
By 24 to OU
By 31 to Ole Miss
By 14 to Bama(at home)
By 8 to Missouri(at home)
They played Georgia and Florida very close 3 and 1 point losses.
And they played exactly 4 games outside the state of Tennessee.

SamBuckhart

Hoping this is the year that we reverse the road win thing. Looking at that puke orange makes me ill. :puke:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!