Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next Steps for Donnie Tyndall

Started by jbcarol, April 21, 2014, 10:22:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Tennessee self-reported secondary violation committed by Donnie Tyndall

Two months after he was fired, Tennessee is still dealing with NCAA issues as a result of hiring Donnie Tyndall away from Southern Miss.

QuoteTennessee self reported a secondary violation to the NCAA stemming from the illegal contact of a recruit. Braxton Bonds, who is currently a redshirt freshman with the Volunteers, was called twice by the Tennessee staff after he had received a release from his National Letter of Intent.

But Bonds had already enrolled at Liberty, spending a week at the school before leaving. The school needed permission to contact Bonds from Liberty, which is a Level III violation. They ceased contact when told they had not been granted permission.

Tyndall was fired by Tennessee as a result of an NCAA investigation into multiple violations that he committed while the head coach at Southern Miss. Tyndall also got in trouble with the NCAA at Morehead State stemming from the recruitment of Kenneth Faried.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 24, 2014, 08:29:46 amCritics could argue that UT already had that coach in Pearl before he ran afoul of NCAA rules, then lied to the NCAA about the charges. Given Tyndall's own NCAA troubles while at Morehead for using a rogue booster to recruit, a booster the NCAA later charged "offered improper recruiting inducements to prospective student-athletes," one might wonder why UT didn't give Pearl a second chance rather turning to the 43-year-old Tyndall.

Yes, Pearl's lying and asking others to lie for him was worse than Tyndall admitting mistakes in judgment. But Tyndall's violations were worse, much worse, involving as many as 20 prospective recruits.

"We looked into that very thoroughly," Tennessee athletic director Dave Hart said ...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2014/apr/23/tyndall-could-be-just-what-ut-needs

At least 3 of the Vols' 2014 signees, loyal to Cuonzo, have asked for a release.

QuoteYet however he reached Rocky Top, Tyndall not only seemed at ease from the moment he arrived on campus but also appeared to have that impact on everybody else. Hart looked more relaxed than he has since watching football coach Butch Jones's Vols shock South Carolina...

If Tyndall follows suit, it will make the entire Big Orange Nation even more regretful that a different Louisiana Tech coach didn't say no to UT football long before current Bulldogs basketball coach Michael White rejected the Vols two days ago, opening the door for Tyndall.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 3h3 hours ago

A recap of today: Alleged academic incident. Alleged legal incident with QB. Former hoops coach coaching professional wrestling. So #Vols.

Former #Vols hoops coach Donnie Tyndall to serve as guest rasslin' coach: http://bit.ly/1B2P6zn 

QuoteDonnie Tyndall will serve as guest coach at a professional wrestling event at a Knoxville-area minor league baseball park Saturday night.

No, that's not a misprint.

Tyndall, who was fired from Tennessee after his first and only season with the Vols as a result of an ongoing NCAA investigation into his tenure at Southern Miss, will coach the so-called "new Heavenly Bodies" in their match against The Bullet Club in the main event of Saturday's Global Force Wrestling Grand Slam Tour stop at Smokies Park —

Nick Carboni @NickCarboniWBIR

This day is not really happening. https://twitter.com/GFWWrestling/status/608691458850344960 ...
2:04 PM - 10 Jun 2015

jbcarol

GlobalForceWrestling ‏@GFWWrestling 21h21 hours ago

Sat. night in Knoxville! Things just got interesting @DonnieTyndall @TheJimCornette Bullet Club v Heavenly Bodies

jbcarol

Jeff GoodmanVerified account ‏@GoodmanESPN

Former Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall -- as a wrestling manager tonight.

Justin Phelps ‏@CoachPhelps 3h3 hours ago

.@DonnieTyndall with @DonOfDesirePWS & @justinCorino getting ready for @GFWWrestling

revolution

Quote from: jbcarol on June 13, 2015, 10:17:31 pm

.@DonnieTyndall with @DonOfDesirePWS & @justinCorino getting ready for @GFWWrestling

[/quote)
Quote from: jbcarol on June 13, 2015, 10:17:31 pm

Tyndall with Hanz and Franz!

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on June 11, 2015, 01:25:23 pm
GlobalForceWrestling ‏@GFWWrestling 21h21 hours ago

Sat. night in Knoxville! Things just got interesting @DonnieTyndall @TheJimCornette Bullet Club v Heavenly Bodies

James Arnold ‏@coacharnoldCMU 10h10 hours ago

@GoodmanESPN his nickname should be "The Big Show Cause"

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred  21h21 hours ago
Donnie Tyndall on wrestling debut: "At the end, you felt like you won a home game." http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/other-sports/donnie-tyndall-experiences-the-wild-swings-of-pro-wrestling_73871295 ...

Check out this @adamvlau shot of Donnie Tyndall, wrestling manager:

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred  21h21 hours ago
Another great  @adamvlau shot from Donnie Tyndall's wrestling debut 
https://instagram.com/p/35Hk8CGM0I/

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 16h16 hours ago

This happened. And I can't get enough of it.

#Vols could have used these guys in the post last season IMO:

Say what you will about Donnie Tyndall, but the dude never takes himself too seriously, and I respect the hell out of that.

Cresthog

What a sad end to a promising career.

Yikes.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 4h4 hours ago

Now a retired wrestling coach (LOL), Donnie Tyndall said he has 5 options: media, NBA, D-League, international ball or small college hoops

jbcarol

Donnie Tyndall ‏@DonnieTyndall Jun 13

I want 2 thank @GFWWrestling what a fun time we had tonight! I turn 45 tomorrow n I am officially retiring from the ring after this big win!

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP  21h21 hours ago
Re: Donnie Tyndall's ouster, Derek Reese said the players knew 'something was a little fishy' when asst Adam Howard left last November.

Then the grind of the season took over & Tyndall's future slid out of the players' focus. Reese: 'We kind of forgot about it.'

Armani Moore on adjusting to his third head coach: "It doesn't matter who my coach is. As long as he's trying to help me, I'm cool with it."

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 5h5 hours ago

I sat with Donnie Tyndall at @PeabodyMemphis. We discussed his firing and a meaningful call from Bruce Pearl.
Column: http://cbsprt.co/1Kkjkj4

Quote...And on March 26, after speaking with NCAA officials, Tennessee AD Dave Hart requested a meeting with Tyndall for the following morning.

Tyndall entered Hart's office at 7 a.m.

First person he saw was a representative from human resources.

"And, for the first time, right then, that's when I knew I was done," Tyndall said.

Hart delivered the news quickly and matter-of-factly. Forty-five minutes later, CBSSports.com reported the development. Other outlets then aggregrated the story while Taylor Tyndall, Donnie's older daughter, sat at home completely unaware that what she had correctly called her daddy's dream a year earlier had just been taken away.

"But she has my name on a Google alert," Donnie Tyndall said. "So it's early that Friday morning. And she's just waking up. And she starts getting all these alerts saying I've been fired. So she goes into her mom's bedroom to ask if it's true."

Tyndall paused at this point in the story. His voice cracked a little.

"Whoo," he continued. "You just crumble. Having her find out that way was sickening. Her mom told me she just collapsed bawling. And that was the hardest part of the whole thing."

Donnie Tyndall doesn't want you feeling sorry for him....

He was sipping water. I drank coffee. He was in town to spend time with Memphis coach Josh Pastner. The Peabody Ducks were in the fountain a few feet behind us.

If it's possible to alternate between despair and optimism, Tyndall did and does.

On one hand, man, he's lost it all. A job he loved. A big salary. And the idea that the NCAA still hasn't sent a notice of allegations to Southern Miss means Tyndall remains a ways away from learning what, if any, penalties he'll be forced to endure. That leaves him very much in limbo and essentially unhirable, even as an assistant, and the Division I level.

That's the root of the despair.

On the other hand, though, Tyndall is only 45. And he's won everywhere he's been. And even if the NCAA investigation that got him fired discounts that in some people's minds, Todd Bozeman, Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl are living examples of coaches who endured harsh penalties and reemerged. And that's a fact Tyndall grips tight.

That's the root of the optimism.

"I was the youngest head coach in the SEC last season," Tyndall said. "So I'm not giving up on my hopes and dreams. My dream has always been to play on a Monday night and win a national title, and that's still my dream. So people may say I'm delusional. But my dream is still to get back into coaching and coach on that Monday night."

Whether that dream ever becomes a reality is up for debate...

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 25m25 minutes ago

Southern Miss expects to receive its NCAA notice of allegations in the next week, a source told @CBSSports. Story: http://cbsprt.co/1SC23mu

QuoteNCAA has concluded its investigation into the Southern Miss men's basketball program and is expected to send a notice of allegations to the school at some point in the next week...

Former USM coach Donnie Tyndall will be charged with rules violations.

That reality is what led to Tennessee firing Tyndall last March.

Tyndall left Southern Miss for Tennessee in April 2014.

NCAA will allege violations involving improper benefits and academic misconduct happened on Tyndall's watch. Southern Miss and Tyndall will then have an opportunity to contest whatever allegations they'd like to answer. Then the NCAA will eventually levy penalties, probably at some point in 2016.

Doc Sadler is now the coach at Southern Miss.

jbcarol

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 10h10 hours ago

Source: NCAA completes investigation into Donnie Tyndall, Southern Miss http://es.pn/1Ozw5qp

QuoteFormer Southern Miss men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall will be charged by the NCAA with multiple infractions, including academic misconduct...

Infractions include academic misconduct regarding coursework performed for -- or completed for -- various recruits, impermissible financial aid for non-qualifying signees and a lack of control that falls under the unethical conduct bylaw...

Southern Miss is expecting to release the notice of allegations sometime Thursday or Friday and likely will be in front of a committee on infractions hearing in early 2016...

Penalties such as these usually bring about some sort of show cause penalty for the coach.

Tyndall and Southern Miss get 90 days to respond to the notice of allegations...

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 13h13 hours ago

I'm told former assistant Adam Howard is among those who helped the NCAA build a case against Donnie Tyndall. He flipped once he was fired.

jbcarol

Jason Munz ‏@munzly 15h15 hours ago

Just touched base with Donnie Tyndall, who issued this statement with regards to the NCAA's notice of allegations.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 12h12 hours ago

NCAA doesn't mess around. Went back and traced JuCo guys' online coursework to Hattiesburg IP addresses. That's stealth.

jbcarol

Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 18h18 hours ago

Anytime you see references to burner phones in NCAA charges, that's no bueno.

jbcarol

Phil Kaplan ‏@philkaplan Jul 25

A closer examination of the 43-page NCAA document tells UT fans what they need to know about Donnie Tyndall.
http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/basketball/what-to-take-away-from-former-vols-coach-donnie-tyndalls-notice-of-allegations_02622792 ...

QuoteNCAA has levied seven Level I violations against Southern Miss, four of which directly mention Tyndall.

Did Tyndall break NCAA rules while working at Tennessee?

Yes.

UT hired Tyndall on April 22, 2014, and fired him for cause on March 27, 2015.

Some specific dates are redacted from the notice of allegations, but it's clear some of Tyndall's alleged unethical behavior spilled over into his new job.

The NCAA says Tyndall's involvement in the arrangement of — and in one case payment for — fraudulent online academic courses that were completed by staff members instead of prospects lasted from June 2012 to May 2014.

Tyndall allegedly deleted pertinent emails from an old Morehead State account around the time of his first interview, an action UT mentioned in its letter of termination.

He also allegedly contacted or encouraged others to contact interviewees in hopes of gaining knowledge about the investigation.

The NCAA also says Tyndall was dishonest about his rule-breaking, another violation, during three interviews with the enforcement staff.

Are any other former Tennessee basketball staff members mentioned in the notice of allegations?

Yes.

Is Tennessee in trouble?

It doesn't appear so.

Tennessee hasn't received a notice of allegations [and will not receive one]...

jbcarol

CollegeBasketbllTalk ‏@CBTonNBC 27m27 minutes ago

If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble http://wp.me/p1aWjM-2elo

MikePiazza

Quote from: jbcarol on July 28, 2015, 03:27:01 pm
CollegeBasketbllTalk ‏@CBTonNBC 27m27 minutes ago

If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble http://wp.me/p1aWjM-2elo

The fact that Tennessee hired this guy is laughable. They've got a significant upgrade in Rick Barnes out of it, but man.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

jbcarol

The mess Donnie Tyndall created — which will likely end up with him receiving a massive penalty from the NCAA — has claimed another victim.

That be Tyson Waterman

QuoteIn the redacted version of the NCAA's Notice of Allegations to Southern Miss, Waterman shows up as "Student Athlete I's high school head coach" and is referred to as a former assistant at "NCAA institution 3″. Watermen spent four seasons as the head coach at Believe Prep in South Carolina, where Shadell Millinghaus, Leroy Fludd and Thaddeus Hall all attended before committing to Southern Miss late in the spring of 2013. Millinghaus, Fludd and Hall are all natives of Brooklyn.

Waterman refused to turn over bank records to the NCAA during the investigation after he was accused of "receiving payment for the commitments of recruited men's basketball prospective student-athletes." As an employee of a Division I institution, he is required to cooperate with any NCAA investigation. Since the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, the way they force cooperation is to hammer anyone that lies or refuses to turn over evidence. Waterman did the latter and was charged with unethical conduct and obstructing an investigation, a Level I violation.

jbcarol

Better Days

QuoteTyndall has won quite a few games during his time as a head coach — he went 56-17 in two seasons at Southern Miss and had three straight seasons of 20-plus wins at Morehead — he's only one won NCAA tournament game during his tenure.

That was a memorable one, though. Ask Rick Pitino (video at link)

jbcarol

Phil Kaplan ‏@philkaplan Sep 28 Knoxville, TN

Ex-Vols basketball coach Donnie Tyndall has "volunteered to serve as the Associate Athletic Director at Tennessee Wesleyan College"

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on October 01, 2015, 05:41:13 pm
Phil Kaplan ‏@philkaplan Sep 28 Knoxville, TN

Ex-Vols basketball coach Donnie Tyndall has "volunteered to serve as the Associate Athletic Director at Tennessee Wesleyan College"

Donnie Tyndall ‏@DonnieTyndall Oct 1

Had a great first-staff meeting today @twcbulldogs great group of coaches! Come out n support them this year! #TWC

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  2h2 hours ago
Southern Miss hoops will self-impose a postseason ban for second straight year due to the NCAA investigation into the former coaching staff.

You've got to feel for the players —also coach Doc Sadler, who had nothing to do with this & didn't have a clue of it when he took job.

jbcarol

Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 2m2 minutes ago

Donnie Tyndall and Dave Bliss are the only two men to ever receive 10-year show-cause penalties. STORY: http://cbsprt.co/1SV2E4R

NCAA has placed Southern Miss on three years probation. It also got a two-year postseason ban that's already been served.

QuoteNCAA has placed a 10-year show-cause penalty on former Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall for his role in USM's infractions case, a source told CBS Sports early Friday.

The NCAA subsequently confirmed the report.

Southern Miss was accused of several major violations -- including arranging fraudulent academic credit and impermissible financial aid after a lengthy investigation into the program Tyndall ran from 2012 to 2014. He led the Golden Eagles to a 56-17 record in those two seasons, then spent one season at Tennessee before being fired last March once UT athletic director Dave Hart realized Tyndall would be charged with Level I violations.

Bliss, of course, was the coach at Baylor when one of his players, Carlton Dotson, murdered teammate Patrick Dennehy in 2003. It was later uncovered that Bliss paid multiple players, lied to the NCAA, and told players to make up a story about Dennehy being a drug dealer as a way to explain how part of Dennehy's tuition was paid. The NCAA said Bliss had a "blatant and sweeping disregard" for its rules.

Tyndall is now an associate athletic director at Tennessee Wesleyan College.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 4h4 hours ago

Southern Miss NCAA infractions decision ... released today. Gotta feel for Doc Sadler — who had nothing to do with all of this.

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 2h2 hours ago

More details from the NCAA on the 10-year show-cause given to former Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/ncaa-hits-ex-vol-coach-tyndall-with-10-year-penalty-2ffacd6d-7888-51d5-e053-0100007fddee-375046571.html ...

Within six weeks of being hired at Southern Miss, Tyndall directed members of his staff to complete fraudulent coursework for 7 prospects.

The majority of Tyndall's staff were involved in doing coursework for prospects so they could be eligible immediately.

And the fraudulent coursework involved "approximately half of the prospects the university recruited during a two-year period" at USM.

One former HS coach mailed money directly to Donnie Tyndall, who delivered money to student-athletes for university bills.

Tyndall told the NCAA he discussed that money arrangement with USM's compliance director. Then said director didn't recall the conversation.

Year later, Tyndall used a similar money arrangement for another recruit & his prep school coach, who at time was employed by an NCAA school

To disrupt the investigation, Tyndall instructed a staff member to fabricate a document to show that the university approved the payments.

Tyndall attempted to use fabricated document to justify his facilitation of the payments. Said document was made more than two years later

DT failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance by he deleted emails relevant" to NCAA investigation, gave false info and contacting others

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 3m3 minutes ago

New story: 'Stunned' Donnie Tyndall lashes out at NCAA in response to 10-year show-cause order http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/donnie-tyndall-stunned-by-ncaa-ruling-will-appeal-2ffe9f3a-9a0f-0eef-e053-0100007fbcc0-375066181.html ...

Will appeal

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 08, 2016, 11:18:49 am
Gary Parrish ‏@GaryParrishCBS 2m2 minutes ago

Donnie Tyndall and Dave Bliss are the only two men to ever receive 10-year show-cause penalties. STORY: http://cbsprt.co/1SV2E4R

NCAA has placed Southern Miss on three years probation. It also got a two-year postseason ban that's already been served.

Dave Bliss should have had a 100 year show clause!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 11h11 hours ago

And, finally, Donnie Tyndall's lawyer says legal action will be pursued if Tyndall isn't exonerated on appeal http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols/mens-basketball/donnie-tyndalls-lawyer-threatens-legal-action-against-ncaa-3005b7a4-95af-086a-e053-0100007f9307-375114101.html ...

QuoteTyndall plans to appeal the NCAA's 10-year show-cause ordered against him Friday. If that doesn't work, he's prepared to take legal action.

The ruling announced Friday was "intended to drive him out of the coaching profession permanently," according to the former Tennessee basketball coach's legal representation, lawyer Don Jackson of The Sports Group, based in Montgomery, Ala.

In an emailed statement to the News Sentinel late Friday night, Jackson said the planned appeal of the Committee on Infractions' decision will "aggressively defend" Tyndall against "groundless allegations" made by the NCAA.

Tyndall's appeal will begin "within the coming days," according to Jackson, as the former coach prepares to go before the Infractions Appeals Committee.

If Tyndall isn't cleared, legal action against the NCAA could include an accusation of violation of federal anti-trust law.

"It is our belief that he will be exonerated at that time," Jackson said. "He will exhaust all administrative remedies (internally) within the NCAA system. At the close of that process, if a satisfactory resolution is not reached, it is likely that legal action will be filed against the NCAA based upon, among other things, a violation of federal anti-trust law.

"The application of NCAA legislation in this case has severely impacted Coach Tyndall's ability to earn a living. In effect, this sanction was intended to drive him out of the coaching profession permanently. Left standing, it is likely to have that effect."

The Committee on Infractions announced that, due to major violations committed at Southern Miss from 2012-14, Tyndall "acted unethically and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance when he directed his staff to engage in academic misconduct."

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger ‏@HKellenbergerCL Apr 8

Donnie Tyndall is all about preventing that paper trail.

Southern Miss sent GAs and one assistant coach across the country to do online classwork for players. Damn.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 3s3 seconds ago

Former Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall wants NCAA ruling overturned

QuoteFormer Tennessee coach Donnie Tyndall filed an appeal with the NCAA infractions committee Wednesday hoping to have his name completely cleared for violations that occurred at Southern Mississippi and got him fired at Tennessee.

"First and foremost, I'm extremely sorry and disappointed for what took place at Southern Miss," Tyndall told Jason Munz of the Hattiesburg (Miss.) American. "Nobody was more disappointed than I was that the misconduct took place. But we are asking for (the ruling) to be completely overturned."

NCAA found Tyndall guilty of multiple violations including failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance and for covering up his wrongdoings.

The charges stemmed from an interview with former Tennessee assistant coach Adam Howard. Howard testified against Tyndall accusing him of knowingly breaking the rules.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GrantRamey/status/756263146009100288

QuoteNCAA is claiming that Donnie Tyndall does not have the right to challenge the grant of limited immunity given to his former assistant.

The claim, described to the News Sentinel on Thursday by Tyndall's attorney, Don Jackson, comes in response to Tyndall's appeal of the 10-year show cause penalty given to him by the NCAA in April. Whether or not Tyndall has the right to challenge immunity will ultimately be ruled when he goes in front of the Infractions Appeals Committee.

The basis of the appeal submitted last month is that Adam Howard, his former graduate assistant and assistant coach, lied to the NCAA and attempted to convince others not to cooperate with the investigation, violating the NCAA's terms of limited immunity.

Jackson also said the NCAA in its response to Tyndall's appeal chose to ignore violations that continued at Southern Miss after Tyndall left for Tennessee in 2014.

"They also took the position that, although they were aware of the fact that there were ongoing and continuing violations at the University of Southern Mississippi, they could ignore those violations even though the existence of those violations could be exculpatory to Coach Tyndall," Jackson said. "They could ignore those violations and ignore the perpetrators of those violations, even though they know who's responsible, and focus only on Donnie Tyndall."

Jackson filed a motion Tuesday night to throw out the NCAA's response to the appeal, which he said missed the filing deadline by nearly 19 hours.

NCAA spokeswoman Emily James said via email on Wednesday and again on Thursday that the NCAA had met the deadline, but couldn't comment further due to the membership's confidentiality rules.

Jackson said the NCAA denied his motion and that it would not go before the Committee on Infractions.

"Their position that (the response) was filed on time is absolutely false because there were three separate opportunities for them to confirm that," Jackson said. "I'd like to see some electronic documentation that it has been filed."

According to an email provided by Jackson, receipt of the Committee on Infractions' response to the Tyndall appeal came at 11:57 a.m. on July 20. The initial deadline was July 5, but a two-week extension was granted.

When the 5 p.m. deadline was not met on Tuesday, Jackson said he began emailing three different NCAA liaisons seeking clarification. When he still had not heard back later Tuesday night, he submitted the motion at 11:01 p.m. to deny acceptance of the response.

"Within three or four minutes of filing that document," Jackson said of the motion, "we then got an email notification that was updated by one of the staff liaisons saying that the document was completed, that it had been filed. But had it been filed, it would've been available on the system and we could've viewed it."

In April, the NCAA gave Tyndall the 10-year show cause penalty for violations committed at Southern Miss, including acting unethically and failing to promote an atmosphere for compliance. He was fired on March 27, 2015, after one season at Tennessee amid the NCAA's investigation at his previous school.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/GrantRamey/status/773558445878358016

QuoteDonnie Tyndall will go before the NCAA's Infractions Appeals Committee at 9 a.m. Thursday in Indianapolis.

The former Tennessee men's basketball coach is appealing the NCAA's 10-year show cause penalty that was issued in April.

The NCAA reported that Tyndall "acted unethically and failed to promote an atmosphere for compliance when he directed his staff to engage in academic misconduct" during his time at Southern Miss.

Tyndall's lawyer, Don Jackson of The Sports Group, based in Montgomery, Ala., estimated that the appeal should be answered by the NCAA in 6-8 weeks.

"Candidly, our hope is to get a reversal or a suspension modification in this infraction report from the Committee on Infractions," Jackson told the News Sentinel by phone on Wednesday.

"The bottom line is the facts of the case don't justify this penalty," Jackson added. "We're hoping that the members of this committee will recognize that and either reverse it all together, which is within their authority, a total reversal, or a significant modification to this penalty."

Tydnall's written appeal to the NCAA submitted in June argued that Adam Howard, his former graduate assistant and assistant coach, lied to the NCAA and attempted to convince others not to cooperate with the investigation, violating the NCAA's terms of limited immunity.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/794579940943527936

Show Cause will not extend to Show Time

QuoteDisgraced former leader of the Vols will assist head coach Jerry Stackhouse on the staff of the Toronto Raptors D-League team, the Raptors 905.

Tyndall, who is already listed on the team's roster on its web site, was fired from Tennessee after one season in March 2015. A year later, he was given a 10-year show cause penalty by the NCAA for infractions that occurred while he was coach at Southern Miss.

Alleged infractions included improper benefits to players, improper eligibility of transfer students and Tyndall deleting emails and then lying about the extent of Southern Miss violations to Tennessee.

He has appealed the NCAA infractions committee to get his good name cleared.

jbcarol

Donnie Tyndall insisted again Tuesday that he's going to fight for his reputation and his career as long as it's possible

QuoteHis legal team is preparing a federal lawsuit against the NCAA in response to the 10-year show-cause penalty it handed him in April 2016.

"Obviously, there will be different parts [to the suit]," Tyndall told the Sports Page. "Slander and defamation will be part of it."

Tyndall's show-cause penalty — which stemmed from multiple Level I NCAA violations during his time at Southern Miss from 2012-14 — was one of the harshest penalties ever doled out by the college sports' governing body, comparable only to those of former Baylor basketball coach Dave Bliss.

Bliss' penalties weren't quite as bad as Tyndall's, though, because the former Tennessee also was given an extra half-year suspension if he ever came back to coach at the NCAA level after serving his 10-year show-cause.

Tyndall's latest course of action comes on the heels of the NCAA appeal committee's decision earlier this month to deny his appeal of the show-cause-and-change penalty.

"I think we would probably file the case this spring or early summer," Tyndall told the Sports Page. "We're going to fight this thing to the very end."

Tyndall, who is now coaching the Raptors 905 in the NBA Development League, was hired by Tennessee in April 2014 and fired approximately one year later, when the NCAA's investigation of the coach's time at Southern Miss was made public.