Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bruce Pearl: The journey from Rocky Top to The Plain

Started by jbcarol, February 13, 2014, 12:58:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MountieDawg

Calhoun has 3 national championships and was banned from post season twice, he actually had a booster pay recruits and was caught.

Jim Boeheim has to post season bans, academic issues, paying players and let his assistant take 10 to 12 year old kids that he was not related to to travel with the team and share a room with the assistant to be abused.

Dean Smith and Roy Williams have fake classes that do not exist for their players to take. Plus  The NCAA report said other boosters gave graduation gifts to outgoing players, a fact that individuals within the athletic department were aware of, including former basketball coach Roy Williams.

Coach K kept a player on the team for a year with 2 sexual assaults until he was not happy with his play this year. Plus for more info on Duke cheating read this:  http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20290116/will-coach-k-duke-skate-again-yes-unless-the-heat-stays-on-blue-devils

John Wooded's players went to UCLA for the high pay.
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=dw-uclalegacy040206

Steve Fisher was a great cheater at Michigan.

Bryce Drew Baylor.... Tons of evidence.

I could go for days...
SEC!

AWHAWG

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 16, 2015, 11:09:11 am
What is worse about Pearl is the guy just came to Auburn with a show cause from the NCAA. He was not allowed to recruit his first off season at Auburn because of illegal contact with recruits at Tennessee and then lying to the NCAA. But it's almost like the NCAA gives him a big kiss and allows him to insert himself into the biggest SEC basketball show of the year. If he wanted to have his mug plastered all over the TV during the SEC Championship he should have had to win his way there.
^^^^^^^^^^This!!!

rzrbkf4n

There is nothing wrong with Bruce Pearl flapping his gums on TV. His Auburn team still stinks.

We will get recruits by our actions on the court and I'm not worried about losing any to Auburn.

Is there Kentucky bias? Sure. But they have a pretty good history.

Once the hogs roll off another title the conversation will shift.

GoHogs1091

I am just not that impressed with Bruce Pearl.

Rick Ray out coached Pearl when MSU and Auburn played during the regular season, and Pearl was fortunate to have won against MSU in the SEC Tournament.  The only reason why Pearl won against MSU in the SEC Tournament is because of K.T. Harrell (his playing last week you will only see from someone in the SEC Tournament every 8-10 years).

billmontgomery10

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 16, 2015, 12:38:53 am
As sad as it is. Recruiting is extremely important and you would do the same thing if you were in Bruce Pearl's shoes

Mike Anderson wouldn't have, neither would Nolan.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Swinesong1 on March 15, 2015, 09:15:37 pm
ESPN is looking out for one of their own.  Vitale blatantly said it was a chance to recruit. 

Yes he did...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ROBLYNNM

Quote from: HawgnCorona on March 16, 2015, 10:58:23 pm
Yes he did...
Help Auburn with recruiting....Ashley Judd trash our team via twitter and on National media today....I will still place my bets on Mike Anderson and his ability to continue to build a great, competitive team.   

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 16, 2015, 12:26:38 pm
I am just not that impressed with Bruce Pearl.

Rick Ray out coached Pearl when MSU and Auburn played during the regular season, and Pearl was fortunate to have won against MSU in the SEC Tournament.  The only reason why Pearl won against MSU in the SEC Tournament is because of K.T. Harrell (his playing last week you will only see from someone in the SEC Tournament every 8-10 years).
So if Aubie beats MSU, it's because of players. If MSU beats Aubie, it's because of coaching..... got it.

WardamnHOGGLE

Pearl is a good coach, but he sure does act like a circus clown.  I didn't think it was cool at all having that blow hard on either. :puke:

BorderPatrol

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on March 16, 2015, 12:38:53 am
As sad as it is. Recruiting is extremely important and you would do the same thing if you were in Bruce Pearl's shoes

Why you are still allowed, or why you even want to post here, is beyond me.

Better posters have been banned for much less than the drivle you spew.

bp

jimmur74

Quote from: Rawker on March 15, 2015, 11:37:27 pm
Yeah no doubt....why don't you make like a tree....and get outta here.
Quote from: Rawker on March 15, 2015, 11:37:27 pm
Yeah no doubt....why don't you make like a tree....and get outta here.

Its leave biff. "make like a tree and leave"

hoghiker

Quote from: popcornhog on March 16, 2015, 07:57:40 am
I agree 100%. I hate that our fan base is so whiney about UK. It makes us look pathetic.
You truly are deluded if you think Arkansas fans are the ones leading the charge against Kentucky. Might want to pick up the Rolling Stone that lays it all out there. RS isn't what it use to be but its still a national media outlet that is more  relevant nationally than Arkansas fans.

HotlantaHog

The camera loves Bruce Pearl. Some coaches have a charisma that attracts the camera to them, some don't. Bruce Pearl has it ... in any game Auburn is in vs. another team, 75% of the coaching shots will be on Pearl. He's a good show.

jbcarol

Auburn Basketball @AuburnMBB  ·  Mar 20
Missed seeing @coachbrucepearl this morning on @MikeAndMike? Have no fear, he's on @SportsCenter at 10:40 and 11amCT

Bruce Pearl @coachbrucepearl  ·  Mar 20
Wish I was in town this weekend. The #AuburnFamily needs to go support @Auburn_Softball & @Auburn_Baseball  as they have big SEC home series
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Josh Ward @Josh_Ward  ·  5h 5 hours ago
First-time caller to @sports180 offered to start a telethon to pay the $5 million buyout to #BringBackBruce to Tennessee.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  18h 18 hours ago

Auburn's Bruce Pearl believes Avery Johnson a 'great hire' for Alabama http://ow.ly/LfWCS

QuotePearl and Johnson worked as analysts at ESPN up until their hirings at Auburn and Alabama, respectively. Pearl led Auburn to a 15-20 record, including a three-win march through the SEC Tournament, in his first season.

"Avery is a good man and a great coach," Pearl said. "He'll be a great addition to the league and to the state of basketball in Alabama. I say that wishing that Anthony Grant was still the coach because Anthony did a really good job. And as a member of our coaching profession we hate when guys who do a good job can't keep their job. At the same time we probably need to do better than good to be able to keep a job like Alabama, so I understand that. It's a tough, tough situation to be in. We've added some great coaches to the league and I think the results are going to be that the league is going to continue to get better."

Some believe Pearl's hiring at Auburn in March 2014 is what sparked the recent big-name hirings.

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  11 hours ago

Auburn's @CoachBrucePearl lands top 15 signing class: Meet the new Tigers | http://ow.ly/LFXCo 

TJ Dunans, New Williams, Danjel Purifoy and Bryce Brown

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  11h 11 hours ago

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl will visit 2016 G @Iam_RawleAlkins on Wednesday, per source. Alkins added a VCU offer today.

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl will also be in to see 2016 IMG Academy SF Jonathan Isaac @jisaac_01, per his coach

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  2h 2 hours ago

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl and asst Chuck "The Rifleman" Person were at IMG Academy yesterday to see 2016 SF Jonathan Isaac @jisaac_01

jbcarol

Carter Wilson @CarterTuck  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Bruce Pearl and an assistant are both checking out former Tennessee commit Romello White of Stackhouse Elite.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Just noticed Auburn's Bruce Pearl here in Lexington for the first time this weekend. I know he spent a lot of time at Under Armour in Lville

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  32m 32 minutes ago

Auburn's Bruce Pearl is the latest to offer 6-8 2016 PF Tyrique Jones of Vermont Academy

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  7h 7 hours ago

Bruce Pearl dresses up as Taylor Swift in lip sync battle http://ow.ly/McWfO

(Auburn Athletics/YouTube)

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  1h 1 hour ago

Alex Thompson is transferring from Auburn, source told ESPN. Sophomore forward.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria @AdamZagoria  ·  32m 32 minutes ago

Providence transfer @Tyler25Harris visits Auburn this weekend after Ga Tech & Iowa State last weekend

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  13h 13 hours ago

Auburn's Cinmeon Bowers shedding weight, 'good to go' following suspension, says Pearl | http://ow.ly/MCFaI 

jbcarol

Leah Pearl @leahapearl  ·  May 5

Twins it's scary @coachbrucepearl

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  17h 17 hours ago
Auburn's @CoachBrucePearl addresses roster turnover, expectations for Year 2 | http://ow.ly/MIFDv 

QuoteSince Auburn's basketball season ended with a 15-20 mark in March, two forwards have left the program -- Matthew Atewe and Alex Thompson.

During a Tiger Trek stop in Atlanta Wednesday, Tigers head coach Bruce Pearl told AL.com each player made the decision to leave on their own.

"Both of those guys, it was their choice," Pearl said. "In my history, 20 years as a head coach, I can hardly remember more than a time or two where I had a hard conversation with a student-athlete and spelled out the challenges of being able to contribute the following year. Some people call it running off, but I don't run people off. I just flat out don't and I never have."

"I understand both cases and scholarships are precious. Having those scholarships back to continue to grow and develop the program, it's a win-win. I hope everyone we have comes back."

Auburn capped a top 15 signing class with the signing of four-star power forward Horace Spencer, who is ranked as the No. 62 overall player.

"We have six or seven new players and it's a complete roster readjustment again, but the program is in a position I feel really good about the class who is coming in," he said. "I think this is a group that can compete in the middle of the league. If you're in the middle of the league, you can be in the bubble. If you're in the bubble you can be in the tournament."

The Tigers haven't made the Big Dance since 2003, the longest drought in the SEC.

"Next year, that's what our goals are — to be a tournament team," he said. "I feel like we have a better roster to do that. We've got a lot of work to do. When you bring that many new people together, it will have it's challenges, but there's more pieces to work with so I'm excited about it."

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl retweeted
RegionsTradition @RegionsTrad  ·  May 9

Hey @coachbrucepearl - how excited are you to be playing in the RT #CelebrityProAm? @AuburnTigers @AuburnMBB

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  3h 3 hours ago

Look who is here to watch @Auburn_Softball at Super Regional.

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl may not use all 13 scholarships at Auburn next season

QuoteAuburn has one scholarship available heading into the summer, but don't expect the Tigers to burn it just for the sake of adding a body on the bench.

Auburn forward Jack Purchase, the third frontcourt player to leave the team, was allowed to explore transfer options last week. Auburn will have 12 players on scholarship heading into the summer. The NCAA's scholarship limit is 13.

"I think at this point we very well may keep that scholarship open," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "You know, you're always out there looking to improve your program."

Pearl added fifth-year transfer Tyler Harris to the roster last week. The former Providence star has enrolled and attended classes Tuesday at Auburn.

Purchase's departure was "a little bit of a surprise," Pearl said, but Auburn plans to pocket the additional scholarship and use it in the future.

"There are some good classes that are coming up in (20)16 and '17 that we might look to," Pearl said...

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor @WesleySinor  ·  May 25

Meet point guard @NewWilliams_ , Auburn's California import who carries big dreams | http://ow.ly/NpoZH 

QuoteNew Williams will arrive on campus this week with big dreams for his career as an Auburn basketball player.

"I want to win an NCAA championship and come out of Auburn a better player and a better point guard," the 6-foot-2, 160-pounder told AL.com. "I want to come out of Auburn ready for the NBA with the feeling that those years were the greatest years of my life. I have no doubt that's what it's going to be."

Williams will be new to the South, having grown up in Inglewood, California, before moving to nearby Santa Monica for high school. He held offers from Arizona State, Colorado, Louisville, Oklahoma State, Oregon, Pepperdine, San Diego State and Tulsa, among others.

He has been to Auburn just once, but it wa$ enough to end his recruitment.

jbcarol

Auburn Basketball ‏@AuburnMBB 4m4 minutes ago

.@coachbrucepearl announces staff changes: Chuck Person - Assoc. head coach / @CoachToddGolden - Asst. Coach / @StevenPearl22 - Dir. of Ops

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 19h19 hours ago

Bruce Pearl wanted Kentucky as 1 of 3 permanent SEC rivals on schedule. That didn't happen. Story: http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2015/05/auburns_3_permanent_sec_oppone.html ...

QuoteTwo rivals and one former SEC West foe have been set as Auburn's permanent conference opponents next season.

The Tigers will play Alabama, Georgia and Ole Miss twice next season.

"It's a group our fans will enjoy seeing twice a year, competitive programs," Auburn coach Bruce Pearl said. "We asked for Kentucky but so did everybody else in the league. I think it'll help continue to add to the rivalry and it's got a good balance to it."

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 7m7 minutes ago

Auburn assistant Tony Jones resigns from Bruce Pearl's staff http://ow.ly/NCfW9

jbcarol

Steve Walentik ‏@Steve_Walentik Jun 29

Auburn's Bruce Pearl said team is still in middle of rebuilding process with first full recruiting class.

Auburn lost quite a few seniors, most notably guard KT Harrell.

Pearl said Auburn will sell out every season ticket in the preseason this year. Said Tigers will have ambitious schedule.

jbcarol

Wesley Sinor ‏@WesleySinor 11h11 hours ago

Slimmed-down @CinmeonBowers5 aiming to cap Auburn career 'with a bang' | http://ow.ly/OYXjq 

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 2h2 hours ago

Auburn point guard undergoes knee procedure http://ow.ly/P3aee

Quotehttp://Auburn point guard New Williams underwent a minor surgery in June to remove a lesion from his knee.

Williams, who underwent ACL surgery in 2014, had a Cyclops lesion removed from the surgically-repaired knee and will miss the remainder of on-the-court workouts this summer, coach Bruce Pearl told AL.com Wednesday.

"Dr. (James) Andrews performed his magic and we're going to get New back at the start of the first semester with a healthy knee," Pearl said.

jbcarol

Tom Green ‏@AUBlog Jun 30

As Year 2 begins, Bruce Pearl says Tigers 'still in the rebuilding process' http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/article_3a240c40-1f59-11e5-afe0-07be590586dc.html ...

Year 1 set the tone for Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl. The Tigers unexpected run to the SEC Tournament semifinal after a lackluster regular season then laid the foundation for the future of the program.

Year 2 is still a rebuild for the Tigers, though. Pearl made that much clear on Monday morning.

"We're definitely still in the rebuilding process with our first full recruiting year under our belt," Pearl said during the SEC men's basketball summer teleconference. "I'm really excited about our class and how hard they've been working in the summer to come together as a group."

Auburn welcomes seven scholarship newcomers to the fold this coming season, including a five-deep freshman class that features highly touted four-star power forward Horace Spencer. The Tigers also welcome Providence graduate transfer forward Tyler Harris — who averaged 11 points and 4.6 rebounds per game last season for the Friars — and will get the services of guard Kareem Canty, who sat out last season after transferring from Marshall.

All of that help will be needed after Auburn graduated four senior guards from last year that made up about 65 percent of the team's scoring during the 2014-15 campaign. That includes the loss of All-SEC second-team selection KT Harrell, who led the league in scoring last season at 18.5 points per contest, as well as K.C. Ross-Miller, Malcolm Canada and the team's second-leading scorer Antoine Mason.

"The newcomers are all long and athletic, and we want to be able to play a little bit faster," Pearl said. "It's a good group."

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 13h13 hours ago

Auburn's attendance increase under Bruce Pearl ranks 2nd nationally http://ow.ly/Pg6SN

QuoteLargest average attendance increase

1. NC State, +2,795
2. Auburn, +2,002

Auburn averaged 7,825 fans per game, an increase of 2,002 fans compared to Tony Barbee's final season (2013-14) as head coach.

Auburn recorded sellouts in the 9,121-seat arena in four of its 17 home games. The Tigers sold out its allotment of season tickets for the season.

Pearl's contract calls for a $50,000 bonus if Auburn sells out half of its home games.

kaki

Talk about perfect fit; Pearl and Auburn, style over substance and by any means necessary!  I find it interesting that Auburn's football and basketball programs seems to be a haven for reclamation projects and transfers.  I guess their motto should be modeled after the old Tony Blake television show, "if you can't do the time (at Auburn) don't do the crime.

jbcarol

AL.comVerified account@aldotcom

Watch BrucePearl get emotional about his journey to #Auburn in this deeply personal interview http://ow.ly/QaNMB 

QuoteWhen Bruce Pearl sat down to shoot the latest episode in AL.com's [For Real] series, he didn't know what the goal of the piece was and he hadn't been told the questions I would ask.

As a matter of fact, I had never met Bruce Pearl before, so when he walked into the room and I explained that we would be focusing less on the current state of Auburn's basketball program and more on the stories and situations that led him to "the loveliest village on the Plains", I wasn't quite sure how enthusiastic he would be.

I now realize that I could have told him we were going to run a marathon and he would have given 110%.

During the interview process, I learned two things about Bruce Pearl:

The first is that Bruce Pearl's energy and enthusiasm know no bounds. He's a guy who talks fast and walks faster, who gets up before dawn with an uncanny level of energy and determination that stems from, as he told me, "a healthy sense, and fear, of failure."

The second is that it's unlikely you'll ever to meet a more passionate individual ... and the passion that Bruce Pearl brings to the table is exactly what Auburn's basketball program needed...

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl on his time at Tennessee: 'I ran a clean program'

Specifically, he made it clear that his one mistake shouldn't change the fact that he and his staff ran a clean program while in Knoxville.

Quote"The decision that we made, I had about 100 people at my house on a Saturday after a Florida football game, and about 96 of them were allowed to be there," Pearl said. "We had three committed kids that really couldn't have been there, shouldn't have been there. I let them come and just said, 'Don't say nothing to nobody about what a good cook I am.'"

"The great devastation for me is when I lied. No matter whether I came back a week or two later and tried to tell the truth, didn't matter. I made that mistake. I had to own that. That's probably the biggest thing, I let so many people down. Its not so much what we did. I ran a clean program. We did a lot of things really, really right, but we made a mistake and paid a huge price."

jbcarol

Gonzalo Bedia Diaz. ‏@gonzalobedia 7h7 hours ago

@AdamZagoria Former Ohio St PG AARON CRAFT, last season un D-League with SC Warriors, will play in Hungary (Szolnoki Olaj) next season #OMG

jbcarol

Auburn Basketball ‏@AuburnMBB Aug 5

Bruce Pearl Family Foundation partners with L5 Foundation to donate $20,000 #WarEagle http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080515aaa.html ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/WesleySinor/status/634437361036840960

Quote"Competing for the upper division places us in position to be able to make the postseason," Pearl said. "We will be preseason picked anywhere from there all the way to ninth or 10th. Being in the upper division would be a great goal and a great step. This team is good enough to do better, but out of respect for the competition in the rest of the league, that's what I'm going to say."

The Tigers finished next to last in the SEC last season with a 4-14 conference mark, but pulled upsets over Mississippi State, Texas A&M and LSU at the SEC Tournament in Nashville to finish 15-20 overall.

Auburn loses four guards off of last year's team. KT Harrell was the league's leading scorer with 18.5 points per game. Antoine Mason, who averaged 14.4 point per contest, is also gone, along with K.C. Ross-Miller and Malcolm Canada.

jbcarol