Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whatever happened to ... ?

Started by jbcarol, June 03, 2012, 06:56:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

... Hyland DeAndre Jordan, Jr.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 11h11 hours ago

Yahoo Sources: Clippers believe they have a DeAndre Jordan commitment, refuse to exit his home. http://yhoo.it/1HNojtR

QuoteLos Angeles Clippers ownership, management and players descended upon Houston on Wednesday and secured a commitment from free-agent center DeAndre Jordan to re-sign with the Clippers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Jordan has changed course on an agreement to sign a four-year, $80 million-plus deal with the Dallas Mavericks, a commitment that Jordan began to waver on in recent days, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Clippers coach and president Doc Rivers and owner Steve Ballmer won't leave the house, awaiting 12:01 a.m. ET time when they can sign him to a five-year contract worth more than $110 million, league sources said. The Mavericks have been unable to contact Jordan throughout the afternoon and evening on Wednesday and have abandoned pursuit of Jordan and turned to alternative options with the $20 million-plus it has in salary-cap space, league sources told Yahoo.

Jordan had agreed in principle to a four-year, $80 million deal with the Mavericks on July 3, but reached out in the past 48 hours to Rivers and expressed uncertainty about his decision to choose Dallas, league sources said. That started the chain of events that led to the Clippers traveling to Houston to meet with Jordan on Wednesday, sources said.

Rivers converged on Houston with Ballmer and a group of players that included Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Paul Pierce and J.J. Redick to meet with Jordan – without the presence of Jordan's agents at Relativity Sports.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban traveled to Houston on Wednesday to meet with Jordan, but it's unclear whether he'll get the opportunity...

Blake GriffinVerified account
‏@blakegriffin32

Don't agree with the furniture layout but I'm not an interior designer.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Keith Bogans

Former UK player Keith Bogans was a McDonald's All-American in the Class of 1999. Or when many of this year's lottery picks (Karl-Anthony Towns, Devin Booker, Trey Lyles) were pre-schoolers.

Yet, Bogans, now 35, was playing in the Las Vegas Summer League for Portland.

Quote"My goal is to just be around the game," he told The Associated Press. "I'm in the best shape of my life."

Bogans has not played in a NBA game since January of 2014. The Trail Blazers think of him as something of a player/coach who can mentor young players.

But Bogans does not think of himself as a coach, at least not yet.

"I still want to play," he said.

Through Friday, Bogans made only one of nine shots (zero of seven from three-point range) in Las Vegas.

Career leading scorer among guards who played for Kentucky
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

... Justin Cox

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 4m4 minutes ago

Kansas City Chiefs waive Justin Cox following Monday's arrest http://on.thec-l.com/1MGkoNi

QuoteKansas City Chiefs wasted little time cutting ties with Justin Cox. The NFL organization cut the former Mississippi State safety on Tuesday following his arrest on Monday on charges of domestic violence, burglary and trespassing....

Cox signed with the Chiefs as an undrafted free agent after he wasn't selected in the NFL Draft. Many scouts had Cox graded as a day-three pick, but a November arrest that also brought domestic violence charges raised red flags.

Cox played nine games for Mississippi State last year. He was suspended indefinitely following the arrest in November.

jbcarol

... Justin Hunter

NewsChannel 5Verified account@NC5

Titans WR Justin Hunter is in jail in Virginia after police charged him w/1 ct of felonious assault in Virginia Beach

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Jul 20

Patrick Brown retweeted NewsChannel 5

On no bond, too. Not good.

jbcarol

... Colorful University of Tennessee booster Roy Adams

Roy Adams, known for throwing elaborate college football watch parties at his East Memphis home and occasional run-ins with the NCAA, died this morning at St. Francis Hospital.

Adams, a 1963 Tennessee graduate, was a retired restaurant owner and real estate developer who parlayed his passion for college football — cultivated during his time in Knoxville as a student — into the legendary watch parties. His home contained more than 30 big screen televisions, five television viewing rooms, multiple game rooms and a wet bar. Guests included a wide-range of individuals, from athletes and coaches to politicians and media members.

Quote"Roy was loved by many, loathed by some," said close friend Ryan Groves.

Adams, who was in his mid-70s, was born in Batesville, Mississippi, and moved to Memphis at a young age.

His role as an unabashed booster often ran afoul of the NCAA, which investigated him in the late 1980s for his involvement in paying for a recruiting trip for two high school athletes to visit the University of Houston. He also was known for helping ignite the federal investigation and conviction of Alabama booster, and late-Memphian, Logan Young for his role in paying Memphis prep standout Albert Means' coach, Lynn Lang, $150,000 to steer Means to Alabama.

In a 2013 New York Times story, Adams addressed the NCAA's policies in his typical "no-holds barred'" fashion.

"I knew the NCAA rules," Adams said. "I just didn't care for them."

jbcarol

... Tim Tebow

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 17h17 hours ago

The Athens (Tenn) Area Chamber of Commerce announced its 2016 benefit dinner speaker today: Tim Tebow

M. Simmons@mnsimmons981

@Ben_Fred Kim Jong-un had a conflict?

jbcarol

... former LSU QB Zach Lee

Los Angeles Dodgers ‏@Dodgers  6h6 hours ago
RHP Zach Lee will start for the Dodgers tonight...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 22, 2015, 12:08:03 pm
... Colorful University of Tennessee booster Roy Adams

Roy Adams, known for throwing elaborate college football watch parties at his East Memphis home and occasional run-ins with the NCAA, died this morning at St. Francis Hospital.

Adams, a 1963 Tennessee graduate, was a retired restaurant owner and real estate developer who parlayed his passion for college football — cultivated during his time in Knoxville as a student — into the legendary watch parties. His home contained more than 30 big screen televisions, five television viewing rooms, multiple game rooms and a wet bar. Guests included a wide-range of individuals, from athletes and coaches to politicians and media members.

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward Jul 23

Enjoyed this column from @geoff_calkins following the passing of Roy Adams: http://www.commercialappeal.com/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/geoff-calkins-roy-adams-loved-college-football-right-to-the-end_08721811 ...

QuoteWe could begin with Adams in the thick of the Albert Means recruiting scandal, glorying at the downfall of his longtime rival, Alabama booster Logan Young.

We could begin with Adams being deposed as part of related proceedings, showing up carrying a bottle of whiskey and wearing an orange jacket and a coonskin cap.

We could begin with Adams' unlikely message-board persona, TennStud, under which he posted scurrilous rumors and musings of all sorts.

Adams was determined to enjoy the spectacle, especially on football Saturdays, when he threw parties at his house that would have made Jay Gatsby proud. He had 40 big-screen televisions at last count. He served an endless, bountiful spread. 

"On a Saturday afternoon, there was no place in Memphis that was more diverse than his home," said Katzerman. "There were actors, NFL players, mayors and state senators. You'd see high school football coaches, you'd see former players, you'd see neighbors and you'd see Chris Wallace. Everyone was invited, no matter your place in life."

jbcarol

... Pat Shires

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra 11h11 hours ago

Former #Vols tailback Pat Shires dies at 83: http://bit.ly/1KtbPoX

QuotePat Shires, starting tailback for the 1952 Tennessee Volunteers, a leader in the Tennessee Letterman's T-Club, and a major player in the development of the Letterman's Wall of Fame on campus, died early Sunday morning at the Compassionate Care Wing of Parkwest Hospital, according to family members. He was 83.

He was a "Vol for Life," long before that term was ever coined.

He followed his brother Abe (1938-40), a 1939 All-America selection, to Knoxville. He lettered in 1950, 1952, and 1953, wearing No. 13 on his orange and white jersey and playing at 6 foot, 180 pounds.

He led the 1952 team in passing, completing 15 of 38 passes for 252 yards, four touchdowns and three interceptions.

His teammates considered him the historian of that era of Tennessee football.

Mr. Shires was involved in one of the most memorable moments of Tennessee football: The 1951 Cotton Bowl against the Texas Longhorns.

A decided underdog, Tennessee had rallied to close the margin to 14-13 early in the fourth quarter when Mr. Shires misfired on the extra point that would have tied the game. Coming back to the Tennessee sideline, Gen. Neyland put everything in perspective for the Vol place-kicker and tailback.

"Son, don't worry. We didn't come out here to tie."

Mr. Shires was a retired sales representative with Procter & Gamble.

jbcarol

... Jefferson Pilot play-by-play Bob Kesling

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra 8h8 hours ago

ICYMI: How a trip to Knoxville led to a HOF career for Bob Kesling | http://bit.ly/1KtptbD  (by @strangemike44) #Vols

QuoteEvery journey has a starting point. Bob Kesling's journey to become the "Voice of the Vols" and an Aug. 4 inductee into the Greater Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame began with the kindness of a stranger.

Bill Battle.

In 1972, Kesling, a high school senior in Kettering, Ohio, tagged along on a pal's trip to the University of Tennessee and strolled unannounced into the football office to inquire about the walk-on policy.

Before he knew it, he was chatting with Battle, the head coach, and watching film with assistant coaches.

"I'm blown away they're taking so much time with a scrub,'' Kesling said recently.

He figured Tennessee must be the place.

For more than 30 years, Kesling has been recognizable as sports anchor at WBIR-TV, broadcasting SEC games for the old Jefferson Pilot Network, doing play-by-play for the first six of Pat Summitt's national titles in women's basketball, and for the past 16 seasons as UT's voice of football and men's basketball.

...During the 1990s he had risen up the ranks on the Jefferson Pilot SEC games.

"I'm working games and going to dinner with Tom Hammond, Tim Brando, Larry Conley, Ron Franklin,'' Kesling said. "If you can't learn something from those guys, you're not listening very much.''

He listened to Lindsey Nelson, too. The iconic broadcaster retired back to Knoxville. Kesling grabbed every chance to chat.

jbcarol

... Sheldon

David Morrison ‏@DavidCMorrison 20h20 hours ago

On the blog: Sheldon Richardson faces resisting arrest, 4 other charges after alleged street-racing incident July 14- http://bit.ly/1SlQcOp

Already facing a four-game suspension for what was widely reported to be a positive marijuana test, former Missouri and current New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson tried to make amends on the first day of Jets training camp Thursday.

"I take full accountability for my actions," Richardson said...

He said this knowing full well he had been detained by O'Fallon Police Department officers July 14 for his involvement in an apparent street-racing incident in St. Charles County.

Police said that three other passengers -- two adult males and a 12-year-old child -- were in the car at the time. The arresting officer also smelled a "very strong odor of burned marijuana" coming from the vehicle and recovered a loaded semi-automatic handgun from beneath the floor mat on the driver's side of the car.

Richardson, 24, was racing another vehicle traveling West on Interstate 64, with both cars clocked at speeds of 122, 135 and 143 miles per hour.

The officer wrote that Richardson, when he saw the patrol vehicle, exited the highway, drove his 2014 Bentley Silver Spur W12 through a red light -- speeding around stopped cars on the left side of the road -- and turned off the lights on his car.

Nothing good happens shortly before midnight.

jbcarol

... Derek Anderson

Jerry Tipton: During his 30-minute talk, the crowd of more than 1,000 repeatedly broke into applause, whooped approval as he recalled not surrendering to discouragement and sighed audibly as he recalled setbacks in an early life straight out of a Charles Dickens novel.

Abandoned by his parents at 10. A single father at 15. Reunited after 20 years with his father, who died two months later. A Christmas dinner with his mother for the first time in 28 years (that brought sustained applause).

"The best thing I got out of that relationship was I didn't quit," he said of Christmas dinner with his mother. "And neither did she."

QuoteAfter moving from Flint, Mich., to Louisville at age 10, he had his father leave without a goodbye, he said.

Survival instincts took him to a Winn Dixie, where he volunteered to help shoppers with their grocery bags in hopes of getting a five- or 10-cent tip. He made $3 the first day and treated himself to a two-piece meal at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

"I was an entrepreneur at that age," he said.

A few months later, he returned home to find his mother had departed.

In hopes of having a place for the night, "I used to fake falling asleep," he told the Expo audience. "You ever do that? It works."

Months after becoming a father, he became a single father when the baby boy's mother was arrested for shoplifting, he said. A neighbor taught him how to change a diaper.

"Plenty of scary nights," he said. "But you only have two options: survive or die. And I didn't want to die."

Anderson volunteered for any and all odd jobs anyone needed done. "Doing everything you could to stay fed," he said.

Personal improvement became a mantra. When he said he had a 3.7 grade-point average at Doss High School and was elected class president, applause filled the ballroom.

As a budding basketball star at Doss, Anderson lived with friends' families or the high school coach or the high school assistant coach. "I was all over the place," he said.

Of course, Anderson played for Ohio State, then transferred to Kentucky after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament. He helped UK win the 1996 national championship and might have helped UK win the 1997 title had he not again tore an ACL.

Anderson played in the NBA for a decade. Now, he works as a motivational speaker. He also trains young players with an emphasis on playing the right way and keeping a good attitude.

He's written a script for a movie of his life and begun looking for locations. He hopes the casting process will begin soon.

Anderson earned nearly $60 million during his NBA career making him one of the top 20 SEC NBA earners to-date.

jbcarol

... Eric Berry

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra Jul 29

.@KCChiefs' Eric Berry cleared to practice today, 8 months after cancer diagnosis http://bit.ly/1VMEI5Y  #BerryStrong

Jeff Rosen@jeff_rosen88

Having beaten cancer, writes @mellinger, there's no telling what #Chiefs' Berry can do now. http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article29498461.html ...

jbcarol

... Damon Evans

Marc Weiszer ‏@marcweiszer Aug 2

PM RT Five years later, ex-UGA AD Damon Evans 'in a good place' and back in college athletics http://bit.ly/1VUeyxX

QuoteIt's five years later now almost to the day since he was, as he says, "let go or resigned or however you want to term it" from Georgia following a DUI arrest when he was with a woman who was not his wife. He calls his parting with Georgia "the best decision at that time for all concerned."

The 45-year old is now Maryland's senior associate athletic director and chief financial officer and works in an office that has views of intramural lacrosse and softball fields. It's about a third of the size of the one he had as Georgia AD.

"This job is a lot like the first job when Vince Dooley brought me back to Georgia," Evans said.

Evans returned to Georgia in 1998 after serving as Southeastern Conference assistant commissioner for eligibility and compliance.

"When I came in then, I was a lot younger, I had a lot to learn, I still have a lot to learn, but I know more about the business," said Evans, who was UGA AD from 2004-10.

Quote"I am not trying to bribe you but I am the athletic director of the University of Georgia," Evans said at the time. 

the officer noted he found a "red pair of lady's panties between [Evans'] legs." When he asked Evans, a 40-year-old married father of two children, what he was doing with the underwear, Evans said: "She took them off and I held them because I was just trying to get her home," according to the report.

Evans told the officer that Fuhrmann was nothing more than a friend, according to the report. But the officer said that Fuhrmann later told him that the two had been seeing each other for "only a week or so."

"Just to let you know, it will be erased because he is the athletic director of UGA and he has that power," Fuhrmann told the officer, according to the report.

She was charged with disorderly conduct after police said she repeatedly ignored warnings to stay inside the 2009 BMW while the trooper was conducting the field sobriety test and later acting "combative" in the back seat of the patrol car, according to the report.

"I apologize and don't want to use my influence but she is trying to protect me," the officer said Evans told him.

"I feel pretty good," he told the officer, before laughing for no apparent reason, according to the report. The trooper said Evans later told him: "We go through life and we all drink and jump in a car."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5350178

jbcarol

... Cauley-Stein

Tyler Thompson ‏@MrsTylerKSR 1h1 hour ago

Willie Cauley-Stein made a surprise visit to a special young UK fan last night: http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/willie-cauley-stein-surprises-11-year-old-toby-foster-with-a-visit/ ...

QuoteYesterday, I shared the story of Toby Foster, an 11-year-old UK fan suffering from mitochondrial disease, a progressive, incurable metabolic disorder which causes a deficit in life sustaining energy... This summer, a large blood clot has moved to Toby's brain, making life pretty difficult for him and his family... Toby was originally supposed to go to the ProCamp on Saturday during Willie Cauley-Stein's session, but was too ill. One of Willie's friends works the ProCamps and told Willie about Toby and how he was Toby's favorite player. Unbeknownst to Toby, Willie decided he wanted to pay him a visit before he headed back to California this week. Toby's mother, Amy, was in on the surprise, and last night, Willie showed up at their door. Here's the story of the visit in Amy's words and pictures:

jbcarol

... '08 SEC MVP, Vandy's All-Time Leading Scorer, and SEC's 2nd All-Time Three Pointers Made, Shan Foster

Tony Hagelgans ‏@Tonyhagel Aug 5

@YWCANashville @shanfoster_32 fantastic compelling message for us all #mendittoendit

Proud to join arms with Capt Drake and @shanfoster_32 to #mendittoendit

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on July 25, 2015, 05:45:17 pm
... former LSU QB Zach Lee

Los Angeles Dodgers ‏@Dodgers  6h6 hours ago
RHP Zach Lee will start for the Dodgers tonight...

Randy Rosetta ‏@RandyRosetta 2h2 hours ago

ICYMI last month | Zach Lee isn't ready to close the door on a return to football http://s.nola.com/q7J9ygj  via @nolanews

jbcarol

... Clay Honeycutt

Drew Champlin ‏@DrewChamplin 17h17 hours ago

#BB17 evictee Clay is going to be real mad when he finds this out http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Big-Brother-Contestant-Victim-of-Burglary-307991931.html ...

Clay had career-high 11 tackles vs Alabama for Texas A&M in 2013

QuoteBrazos County Sheriff's Office is investigating a burglary at the home of former A&M football player Clay Honeycutt.

Sheriff Chris Kirk says Honeycutt's brother called 911 Monday night to report the burglary near FM 2154 and FM 2818. Someone stole more than $4,500 worth of items, including: a 70" Vizio TV, three guns, a Kindle Fire, an iPad, a laptop and a jewelry box.

Honeycutt is currently in California for the taping of Big Brother 17...

jbcarol

... Aldon Smith

Charles Robinson ‏@CharlesRobinson 11h11 hours ago

Oh boy. #49ers linebacker Aldon Smith arrested last night by Santa Clara PD.

Santa Clara Police ‏@SantaClaraPD 11h11 hours ago

From the PIO: SCPD arrested Aldon Smith last night for Hit&Run, DUI, and vandalism. A press release will be provided later this morning.

Joe Walljasper ‏@JoeWalljasper 11h11 hours ago

The epitaph of Aldon Smith's football career will be that the only guy who could block him was Aldon Smith.

Janine De la Vega ‏@JanineKTVU 10h10 hours ago

#49er #AldonSmith looked somber leaving jail. He told me "it wasn't a DUI...the truth will come out." #KTVU

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 7h7 hours ago

49ers source: team will part ways with Aldon Smith after his latest arrest.

49ers: "This organization has tried very hard to help Aldon fight his issues. Although he is no longer a member of this team, our support and concern for him will continue."

Santa Clara Police ‏@SantaClaraPD 6h6 hours ago

Press Release: Arrest of Aldon Smith
https://local.nixle.com/alert/5469320/

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Jim Ingle

James Edward "Jim" Ingle, the longtime public address announcer for University of Kentucky athletics, died Friday at Baptist Health Lexington. He was 83.

Ingle first worked in UK's basketball program in 1962 as a statistician. His job was to keep Coach Adolph Rupp apprised of assists and what was known as "errors."

QuoteHis signature style was a deadpan delivery. A Mr. Spock of sports, he resolutely refused to use a more animated tone to energize a crowd.

"He was very proud of that," his son, Jay Ingle, said. "That was very intentional. He wanted to make sure he was very neutral. He didn't want to be a cheerleader."

His just-the-facts style may have cost Ingle his job as UK athletics' public address announcer. For the 1988-89 basketball season, UK replaced him with a more adrenalized Doug Bruce.

"He was never expressly told that it was to bring in someone more animated," Jay Ingle said. "But most people, including dad, believed that was the reason."

Ingle continued to serve UK basketball in a support role.

"In most towns, that would be of little import," Jay Ingle said of his father's role as announcer. "But, amazingly, in this crazy town people still recognize him to this day from doing the PA."

jbcarol

... Ex-UK wide receiver Chris Matthews

Broncos Play Hardball with Matthews

QuoteChris Matthews injured his shoulder in Seattle's Friday night exhibition loss to the Denver Broncos. Seahawks coach Pete Carroll reported that Matthews has a sprained AC joint and could be out up to 10 days...

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/634481925995020290

QuoteScarblog: What's wrong with you people? Were you all born after 1989? Don't you remember when they used to play the Iron Bowl at Legion Field and Alabama was Auburn's daddy?

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/jeffpearlman/status/636266037277667328

QuoteIt's been nearly 11 years since her husband died at the far-too-young age of 42 (seven days shy of 43), and Sara has done her best to move forward. Their two children are now adults. She works as a real estate agent in North Carolina...

On the day after Reggie White died from a cardiac arrhythmia, Sara was at the funeral home when she received a phone call from a doctor doing research on concussions. He asked if she would consider donating her husband's brain for research. "Reggie had just died and I was taken aback," she said. "I couldn't even consider it. But, maybe had I calmed down and spoke to him, I would have made a different decision."

Sara wonders what would have been found. Reggie White was a big man, a strong man, a man of religious conviction. He always presented himself with confidence and passion. Yet, according to Sara, in the years after Reggie's 2000 retirement, his memory started to do quirky things. "He went to a doctor because he felt like he had ADD," she said. "He didn't think his brain was functioning properly." The physician told Reggie he was fine, but the legendary defensive end didn't buy it. Thoughts came and went. He was increasingly forgetful. "Our daughter played basketball and volleyball every Tuesday," Sara said. "That was her day—every Tuesday. But Reggie would always forget. And it was like he'd ask me a question, then ask the same question again two hours later.

"Our son only played flag football, and that was a relief to Reggie," she said. "Reggie would have headaches all the time. All. The. Time. He took a lot of Tylenol, but he was aware the game wasn't great for your health. He didn't want his son to go through that."

jbcarol

... Alonzo Horton

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/636582674237403137

Quotet's hard for Alonzo Horton to describe what he felt when he stepped on the Auburn University campus for the first time as a real student.

"I was on top of the world," he said.

That moment of peace, elation and accomplishment was fleeting. He has spent much of the last decade trying to recapture it.

Ten years ago, Horton was 18 years old, one of the top football prospects in Louisiana, a linebacker about to embark on his freshman season with the defending SEC champions. He had piled up 146 tackles and 13 sacks as a senior at Abramson High School, after collecting a state-high 23 sacks as a junior.

After growing up poor in eastern New Orleans, Horton was away from home for the first time in his life, attending college, playing football and chasing his dreams.

Then came Hurricane Katrina: The breached levees. The destruction of his home and neighborhood. And then the unthinkable news that his two younger brothers, Jerry and Delorean, were dead.

Alonzo's first college game -- Sept. 3, 2005 -- was Jerry's eighth birthday.

"I was supposed to be excited. All I could do that whole day was cry," Horton said.

"It was unbearable; I can feel it like it was yesterday," he said.

And then Horton got news that was just as sudden and even more shocking: Jerry and Delorean were alive and well.

jbcarol

... Casey Clausen

https://twitter.com/AdamKrohnAJC/status/636545651745157120

QuoteHeath Shuler isn't the only ex-Tennessee Vols quarterback trying to turn around a high school football program. Casey Clausen, who quarterbacked the Vols in the early 2000s, is in the midst of trying to turn things around with a California school.

Tony Ciniglio of the LA Daily News features Clausen and his program at Calabasas High School, which finished 0-10 the season before he took over. Calabasas finished 6-6 last season.

If Clausen's team continues to improve, perhaps it can draw a crowd from the Hollywood elite that live in the area. Justin Bieber recently sold his Calabasas house to Kim Kardashian –

Clausen's secret for success? An all-star coaching staff and lots of transfer student-athletes – 25 to be exact – including Keyshawn Johnson's son, Keyshawn Jr.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Lou Tsioropoulos

Former Kentucky basketball star Lou Tsioropoulos died Saturday in Louisville. He would have been 85 next Monday.

With Cliff Hagan and Frank Ramsey, Tsioropoulos was part of a trio of standout players who led UK to the 1951 national championship. Three years later, as seniors, the players finished the season 25-0, the only unbeaten final record in Kentucky basketball history. Tsioropoulos averaged 14.5 points in that 1953-54 season.

QuoteAfter his UK career, Tsioropoulos entered the Air Force. He later played three seasons with the Boston Celtics as Tom Heinsohn's backup at forward. He averaged 5.8 points as an NBA player and was on the Celtics' championship teams in 1956-57 and 1958-59.

"He was a tough guy," Hagan said Wednesday before heading to Louisville for Tsioropoulos' funeral service. "He drew the tough assignments of guarding the best forward or center."

Russell Rice wrote about Paul "Bear" Bryant, then UK's football coach, asking Adolph Rupp if he'd seen the football prospect from Massachusetts.

"I don't know, Paul," Rupp said. "What's the guy's name?"

Bryant answered, "I don't know, Adolph. He's from Lynn, Mass., a big Greek kid with a prominent nose."

Hagan and Ramsey recalled the size of Tsioropoulos' nose coming up during a trip to Puerto Rico the team took after winning the 1951 national championship. The UK players needed to know why the Puerto Rican fans were calling Tsioropoulos "Cyrano." It was for the French novelist and playwright, Cyrano de Bergerac, who had a long nose.

Tsioropoulos also quickly gained a reputation for having a difficult name to spell. On Wednesday, Ramsey voluntarily spelled it correctly during a phone conversation.

Rice noted in his book that Rupp had his secretary mimeograph labels of the name "Lou Tsioropoulos" on cards that he kept in his pocket and gave to officials keeping the scorebook.

Tsioropoulos is survived by his wife, Jan; a daughter, Tara; and two grandchildren.

The Big Three were not eligible for postseason play in 1954 because they were graduate students.  It was UK's first season after their death penalty.  A state newspaper broke the news after UK had run the table in the SEC.  Rupp declined to play in the tournament giving LSU a shot to rep the SEC.

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Shaun Kitchens

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/637009241006600193

QuoteA hearing is scheduled for Oct. 6 in a Lee County courtroom for Kowaski Quayshawn (Shaun) Kitchens, a former Auburn football player who has not served any of the three-year sentence he received in a 2011 home invasion case.

Kitchens was one of four players accused of the armed robbery of a group of college students at an Auburn mobile home in March 2011. He is currently being held in the Lee County Jail without bond.

According to a Sept. 9, 2013 court order, Kitchens was supposed to serve weekends at The Wake County Detention Facility in North Carolina. This allowed Kitchens to play football on a scholarship at nearby Shaw University, where he was enrolled from August 2012 through last December, according to Andrew Stanley, Kitchens' attorney.

Kitchens was supposed to serve the rest of his sentence after graduation, according to the terms of the agreement. However, Kitchens has not served any time.

After leaving Shaw, Kitchens had tryouts with NFL and Canadian teams and was working with an agent, Stanley said.

"He was trying to play some type of professional football," Stanley said.

Kitchens was identified as one of the three masked men who entered a mobile home in Conway Acres and robbed five college students, according to witness testimony and statements by the defendants to police following their arrest.

Former teammates Antonio Goodwin and Michael McNeil were identified as the other two intruders, armed with a bb pistol and a .45-caliber handgun respectively. Co-defendant Dakota Mosley, allegedly acquainted with one of the residents of the home, waited in a car outside the residence.

The four left with a small safe and two cellphones, which were found in the players' car along with the guns when they were arrested by Auburn police officers responding to the victims' call about the robbery.

Mosley and Kitchens both pleaded guilty and were ordered to serve three years in prison. Goodwin was convicted in June 2012 and sentenced to 15 years in prison.

jbcarol

... Bill Goldberg

Goldberg is in Somerset, Kentucky this weekend on behalf of Drive to Feed Kids and Project 58:10. Project 58:10 is a local effort among multiple church communities to provide bagged meals for children who don't have much to eat at home. The bags contain three meals plus snacks that children can eat over the weekend, when they aren't in school receiving daily lunches.

Goldberg played defensive tackle for the University of Georgia, and told the guys about playing Kentucky in Lexington in 1988. The Cats beat the #11 Bulldogs in one of the biggest wins of the Jerry Claiborne era, but Goldberg remembers the game for a very different reason. He was the last guy off the field that day, and went over to talk to his dad and brother through the fence near the locker room at Commonwealth Stadium, and UK fans wouldn't leave them alone.

Quote"The fans were all over me, man. I was talking to my brother and my dad through the fence. My brother is kind of like me and he had kind of had enough and turned around and said something to one of the fans and asked him to be quiet, and the fan said something my brother didn't like and so my brother hit him over the face with a portable television. Hit him in the face with the television and all of a sudden, all heck broke loose. I had to climb the fence in full gear and fight off Kentucky fans because my dad had just had a quadruple bypass."

That fence Goldberg scaled? It was eight feet tall.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/638017099038912512

QuoteThe 49-year-old Daly was playing in a small event at Deerfield Golf Club in Jackson's northern suburbs.

Daly's friend, Billy Allen, who was with Daly at the hospital, said the two-time major champion's vital signs were good but doctors were checking on possible injuries to his ribs and fingers.

Deerfield club pro Leigh Brannan, who was at the tournament, said Daly was having trouble with the heat and had some difficulty breathing before being taken to the hospital. Temperatures were near 90 degrees in the Jackson area.

"He was struggling pretty badly right before he collapsed," Brannan said. "But we're all hoping it's nothing serious and that he was just a little dehydrated. He was even telling (Allen) he still wants to play (Sunday)."

https://twitter.com/PGA_JohnDaly/status/638098889833324546

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Billy Cannon

https://twitter.com/theadvocatebr/status/638692578070671360

QuoteAn Episcopal deacon and former television reporter, Charles deGravelles admits he was an unlikely choice to become Cannon's biographer. But his ministry at Louisiana State Penitentiary, where Cannon has overseen inmate dental treatment for two decades, helped the trust issue after corrections official Richard Thompson encouraged Cannon to consider him.

The result is "Billy Cannon: A Long, Long Run," a title evocative of the most famous play in LSU football history, and of a 78-year-old life...

"That was the ground rule," deGravelles said. "I said it's got to be honest; it's got to be real. He said, 'That's all I'm asking. Just tell the truth.' I've read all the newspaper accounts, and there's a lot of misinformation that's been published."

That misinformation included, after Cannon decided to play football at LSU, comments by rival college coaches that they hadn't recruited Cannon because he was a thug. Cannon knew better.

"I didn't mind being called a thug, but it really irritated me for them to say they didn't recruit me, because they did," he said...

jbcarol

... Trent Richardson

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops 1h1 hour ago

Trent Richardson and the sad NFL runs of the Alabama dynasty http://nyp.st/1LRDALl  via @nypost

QuoteNFL teams have shied away from taking running backs early in the draft after Richardson made the Browns look silly for making him the third overall selection. He's already been traded once and waived twice (Colts and Raiders), leaving him to try to catch on with his fourth NFL team. Richardson has yet to average more than 3.6 yards per carry in a season. At Alabama he never averaged less than 5.2 yards.

jbcarol

Ron Higgins ‏@RonHigg Sep 1

LSU football icon Billy Cannon set to release book @TigerDroppings @dandydonlsu  http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/09/lsu_football_icon_billy_cannon.html ...

QuoteLSU football legend Billy Cannon has finally written a book about his career of highs such as winning the 1959 Heisman Trophy and the lows of serving prison time for counterfeiting...

Cannon teamed to write the book "Billy Cannon: A Long, Long Run" with Charles deGravelles... "In the process of writing this book, I was particularly struck by something one of the Cannon daughters said, speaking of her father's many fans: 'They always thought they knew him, when they idolized him and when they condemned him, but they never really knew him at all,'" DeGravelles said. "I was able to spend a year interviewing and truly getting to know Billy Cannon, warts and all, and I came to see him as a remarkable individual with a remarkable story to tell, and, I'm proud to say, a friend."

jbcarol

... Cliff Matthews

Matt Connolly ‏@MattatTheState 2h2 hours ago Duncan, SC

The Falcons cut former South Carolina star Cliff Matthews last night.

jbcarol

... Tim Tebow

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 54m54 minutes ago

Tim Tebow released by Eagles http://trib.al/8fcu8zR

Missed This:

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/640180278342889478

jbcarol

... Debbie Yow

Yow's salary for her first season as UK coach in 1976-77 was $9,000. She got a raise to $11,000 in Year 2. A raise to $18,000 in her third season came after being summoned to then UK president Otis Singletary's office.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/05/4022061/uk-basketball-notebook-in-stop.html#storylink=cpy

Former University of Kentucky women's basketball coach Debbie Yow, now athletics director at North Carolina State, posed with the statue of Joe B. Hall in front of Wildcat Coal Lodge on the UK campus on Thursday.

PABLO ALCALA — Lexington Herald-Leader

Quote"I was worried I had done something wrong," she said. "Instead, he said, 'Debbie, Mrs. Singletary reminded me this morning that I need to give you a raise, so this is what it will be.' I was stunned, but happy."

The humble beginnings of her coaching career included buying a small television "on time," Yow said. "Paid $32 a month for quite a while.

"Also, paycheck day meant I could buy grapes. Funny what a person remembers."

Yow didn't mind living on a limited budget. She was happy to be coaching. But she was sensitive to how she was perceived.

"I felt I was always trying to justify the fact that this was OK, that we should have women's basketball in college," Yow said. "And, yeah, it's even OK if you have a full-time coach."

In the summer of 1977, Yow arranged a trip to five European countries for her team. Before she and her players went to Europe, Yow happened to cross paths with then men's coach Joe B. Hall.

"He took $100 out of his wallet and said, 'I want to give you this money for the trip,'" Yow recalled. She protested. He insisted, saying, "You need to have souvenirs to bring back."

About a week later, Hall offered Yow a check for $100. She again protested, saying he had already given her $100. "The money was from me," Hall said. "The check is from my wife."

Yow never got around to thanking Hall for what she called "one of the most kind gestures that's ever been made to me, as a young professional without much money and still feeling a little bit nervous about being a basketball coach.

"It was all very new and he made me feel I belonged. I will never forget that."

jbcarol

... Christine Michael

Brad Marquardt ‏@bradthejag 19h19 hours ago

"@AdamSchefter: Dallas is trading a conditional draft pick to Seattle for RB Christine Michael, per source. RB help for Dallas." #12thMan

Brent Zwerneman ‏@BrentZwerneman 18h18 hours ago Bryan, TX

In 2011 Christine Michael rushed for 230 yards, 3rd best ever by an Aggie, in AT&T Stadium vs Arkansas. Guessing made impression on Jerry.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports  3h3 hours ago
Barrett Jones joins Pittsburgh Steelers' practice squad at expense of Reese Dismukes http://ow.ly/RTDUP 

Both former SEC centers included on the Rimington Award Watch List

jbcarol

jbcarol

... Rex Chapman

Herald-Leader Sports ‏@KentuckySports  4h4 hours ago
Former UK star Rex Chapman sentenced to probation, community service in Apple Store theft: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/09/08/4026146_former-uk-star-rex-chapman-sentenced.html ...

jbcarol

... Marcell Dareus

We've got some good news for you Dareus...

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports  18m18 minutes ago
This former #Alabama standout got paid HUGE. http://ow.ly/S3Ia8  #ALNFL

Quotehe former Alabama standout and the Bills have agreed on a six-year, $108 million contract extension.

Reports indicate Dareus' new deal includes $60 million in guaranteed money, which would be the largest sum for a non-quarterback in NFL history.

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 4h4 hours ago

Just saw Moses Malone Friday at the Hall of Fame and now he has passed away. So sad..."Fo, Fo, Fo" and a Rebounding Force. RIP to the Legend

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 5h5 hours ago Knoxville, TN

Moses Malone was a man's man during that memorable 1983 season for the Sixers. "Fo. Fo. Fo." Gone way too soon.

Zach Harper Verified account
‏@talkhoops

From 1979 to 1987: Moses Malone averaged 25.5 points and 14.1 rebounds per game. Since then? No player has averaged that once in a season.