Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stegall

Started by dcskc, January 10, 2006, 09:18:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kicking Wing

Quote from: pfrg999 on January 11, 2006, 11:28:29 am
Quote from: Kicking Wing on January 11, 2006, 11:02:17 am
Okay, I can't resist. Hogsanity, you are a jerk.

Now, I am thrilled to get Stegall. Playing at ASU will not harm him in anyway if he wants to play professionally in any sport and he will be playing for one of the best, honest young coaching staffs around. Ever hear of Jake Delhomme? Seems like he's starting in the NFL playoffs this weekend.

All teams miss on a significant number of players and Arkansas is one of them. So is ASU. However, ASU has done a freat job of evaluating talent in and out of state lately. You can't tell me that most schools wouldn't love to have a guy like Josh Williams or Tyrell Johnson on their defense among others. Likewise with Oren O'Neal, Tanner Jenkins, Matt Mandich, etc. You all may not know these guys, but I guarantee that football coaches know about them. Marcus Brown, VanDolah, Reggie Arnold, Matt Taylor, Zach Eichenberger, Ben Owens, and many others who weren't "big time" recruits are also waiting in the wings.

I honestly hope you guys recruit well and continue to pass over some of these talented in state kids because ASU will be happy to give them a chacne as they should.

I look forward to meeting some of you Greenwood folks next year along with the fans of our other NW AR recruits. You'll be shocked when you see what ASU is doing if your only exposure is through message boards.

And they will have another 6-6 or 4-7 or another suppar year... Yes they went to a bowl... thier FIRST Ever..... BTW Lashee Walked-on ar UA and still never saw the field... I always root for ASU because they are from Arkansas... but blasting because you have all the UA kids... and we are turning noses up at the... DMAC, Monk, Madre, Cobbs, Norman, Cleveland and countless scores of othes are Ark boys that went to UA

Why didn't they go to ASU? It's Pretty Clear... What the Sun Belt Conference...Like I said I like ASU... but stop the trash talking on how we Don't recruit In-State Kids...

We recruit in BEST in state kids.... Mustain or Stegall? you decide
You don't freaking get it do you?  You don't think I would like to see a guy like McFadden playing for ASU?  I don't think we are going to beat you guys for many recruits at all if it's head to head.

The point is that the morons who think that if a kid doesn't get an offer from UA or isn't rated 4 stars he can't play at a very high level are just plain wrong.  Sure, it is an indicator, but to succeed you have to be able to evaluate the guys that are just under the radar for whatever reason. 

Of course you recruit the best in state kids, but you can't tell me that taking a chacne on a guy like Fish from out of state is better necessarily than the AR kid who was recruited hard but not offered by UA.

If you think I was bashing anyone you have some comprehension problems.

Keep doubting Coach Roberts if you want, but he is getting the job done faster than we anticipated and last season was just the start.  He will have us winning against the teams we should beat and that is all I ask.

pfrg999

Nope No comprehension problems..... I am GLAD ASU is on the right track... I understand the point... But there has been way to many posts stating if we don't take this Kid we are turning our back on the in-state kids and that is simply not true... Man I hope you guys do 10-2 next year and the following year ...and so on... I root for the Hogs, ASU, UALR, UAPB, Henderson, SAU and the rest... Ark schools....
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogsanity

Did anyone, especially me, say that Stegall would not have a good college career?  The point of the thread those is why did the UA, AND ALMOST ALL OF D1, pass on him?  In the case of the UA, they can not risk that if he signs, then gets drafted in the MLB, that he will choose baseball.  At least they know if WIlliams signs, he is coming. 

As for the ASU progrma, move to a real conference then we will see.  The sunbelt is not as good as many 1aa conferences.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kicking Wing

We're in a conference we can occasionally win and I think most people would prefer to be in such a situation.  Your statement about D1AA conferences is plain stupid.

I just get tired of the guys running donw players or rationalizing away the fact that they din't walk on at UA and went to some "lower" school.

It only helps ASU if you guys get things turned around so why don't you worry about that instead of taking cheap shots at ASU?

slaughts3

i dont know if this was posted already but he commited to ASU yesterday.

SportsHog

Hogsanity.....I understand the hesitation on recruiting him based on his desire to play baseball (and why shouldn't he- -he throws 90 mph + right now and has interest from the White Sox and the Reds)........

that part is ok.....but hey, just in case you're wondering about smarts- - -Stegall has over a 4.0 gpa and he is taking honors classes....wants to major in bio-med; or medical engineering.......nuff said.....

Plain and simple- -Ark missed the boat on him...they took a risk and we shall wait and see.....

Quote from: hogsanity on January 11, 2006, 10:06:41 am
He was offered before the season by Vandy, but when he said he would wait they pulled the offer, but Vandy has no track record of recruiting good Qb's. Oh wait Cutler will most likely be a first round pick. He also was offered by Stanford and atleast one service acadamy. Not only does he have some talent, he has brains too. Harvard and Yale were mentioned as well.

SportsHog

STEGALL.................
D'Angelo Williams or Deharius Howard.....you decide ????????
Quote from: pfrg999 on January 11, 2006, 11:28:29 am
Quote from: Kicking Wing on January 11, 2006, 11:02:17 am
Okay, I can't resist. Hogsanity, you are a jerk.

Now, I am thrilled to get Stegall. Playing at ASU will not harm him in anyway if he wants to play professionally in any sport and he will be playing for one of the best, honest young coaching staffs around. Ever hear of Jake Delhomme? Seems like he's starting in the NFL playoffs this weekend.

All teams miss on a significant number of players and Arkansas is one of them. So is ASU. However, ASU has done a freat job of evaluating talent in and out of state lately. You can't tell me that most schools wouldn't love to have a guy like Josh Williams or Tyrell Johnson on their defense among others. Likewise with Oren O'Neal, Tanner Jenkins, Matt Mandich, etc. You all may not know these guys, but I guarantee that football coaches know about them. Marcus Brown, VanDolah, Reggie Arnold, Matt Taylor, Zach Eichenberger, Ben Owens, and many others who weren't "big time" recruits are also waiting in the wings.

I honestly hope you guys recruit well and continue to pass over some of these talented in state kids because ASU will be happy to give them a chacne as they should.

I look forward to meeting some of you Greenwood folks next year along with the fans of our other NW AR recruits. You'll be shocked when you see what ASU is doing if your only exposure is through message boards.

And they will have another 6-6 or 4-7 or another suppar year... Yes they went to a bowl... thier FIRST Ever..... BTW Lashee Walked-on ar UA and still never saw the field... I always root for ASU because they are from Arkansas... but blasting because you have all the UA kids... and we are turning noses up at the... DMAC, Monk, Madre, Cobbs, Norman, Cleveland and countless scores of othes are Ark boys that went to UA

Why didn't they go to ASU? It's Pretty Clear... What the Sun Belt Conference...Like I said I like ASU... but stop the trash talking on how we Don't recruit In-State Kids...

We recruit in BEST in state kids.... Mustain or Stegall? you decide

Big Papa Satan

I'm sure that Stegall is a good kid and all that, but he is not a SEC-level QB.

He is Rhett Lashlee with mobility.  Nothing more.

Ugly Uncle

Ivan,

I guess there are people that agree with you since he isn't going to any SEC school.

However, the kid has good size, good speed.  Very accurate.  I think if he might have more ability than what he has been given credit for.
Retired Radio Host

Big Papa Satan

I say Rhett Lashlee with mobility, because Stegall's arm strength or lack of it reminds me a lot of Lashlee.

Philip Seaton

I've read this thread it amazes me how  one can go to crap in a hurry.
First, comparing Matt Jones and Daniel Stegall...Hands down, no comparsion...Matt Jones was a freak of nature and though Daniel Stegall is a fine, fine football player that I have been very impressed with, he is NOT a Matt Jones. Better passer yes (at this stage) but a better athlete no.
Second, recruiting is not an exact science. There are way too many examples to list on this one of blue chippers that turned to dudes and unkowns became NFL superstars.
Third, I really like what Steve Roberts is doing at ASU. He is recruiting Arkansas and the results are starting to show. A bowl game this season. His predessors didn't and the results showed.
Daniel Stegall is a fine, fine athlete and I hope he develops into an all-conference quarterback and leads the Indians to great succes.

Kicking Wing

Quote from: philip.seaton on January 15, 2006, 03:01:10 am
I've read this thread it amazes me how one can go to crap in a hurry.
First, comparing Matt Jones and Daniel Stegall...Hands down, no comparsion...Matt Jones was a freak of nature and though Daniel Stegall is a fine, fine football player that I have been very impressed with, he is NOT a Matt Jones. Better passer yes (at this stage) but a better athlete no.
Second, recruiting is not an exact science. There are way too many examples to list on this one of blue chippers that turned to dudes and unkowns became NFL superstars.
Third, I really like what Steve Roberts is doing at ASU. He is recruiting Arkansas and the results are starting to show. A bowl game this season. His predessors didn't and the results showed.
Daniel Stegall is a fine, fine athlete and I hope he develops into an all-conference quarterback and leads the Indians to great succes.
Very well said and a mature response.  Thank you.

SportsHog

I too agree with PSeaton....very well put....just to clarify however, I did not say Stegall was better than any other player mentioned; Mustain, M. Jones, etc and if fact, I don't think he is- - - - -I did say that I saw them all play (including M. Jones his Jr. and Sr. years) and that Stegall was more "exciting".....He makes great plays with no other D1 players around him....

bottom line....glad he is going to ASU and wish him and the school well....

also, hope and believe MM will become a Hog !!