Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the NBA puts down a 20-year-old age minimum, what happens?

Started by Biggus Piggus, March 08, 2005, 12:55:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

It is far from a cinch, but the NBA and the players association are negotiating to keep high school kids from going pro.  Their approach will be an age minimum of 20.  This also would limit the foreign draftees, some of whom have been teenagers.

The players union will not give this without extracting their pound of flesh, so it is not a cinch.  But at least the union seems to acknowledge that kids are coming in who are not ready.

How much of a difference will this make for the college game?  Will it become easier for college teams to recruit European players, or will they just stay home a little longer?  Will kids stay back a grade in school to ensure they can go to the draft with as little college as possible?  Will junior college or prep school basketball become a way station for pro prospects? 

The NBA started drafting high school kids because it could not find enough talent elsewhere.  With an age limit, I expect the NBA to suck underclassmen out of colleges at an accelerating rate.  How will this affect top teams' performance against the new grad rate standards?

Without an age minimum, you had two groups, those who went pro out of high school and those who went to college.  Being in college at all, you at least had the chance of keeping them for a while.  With an age minimum, I bet that practically everybody who has pro potential will enter the draft at age 20, then pull out if they don't like their draft position.

Ought to make it pretty hard for coaches to plan from season to season.

An age limit is good for the NBA.  It ought to improve the freshman talent level in the college game.  Ought to be some unintended consequences too.
[CENSORED]!

DirkPiggler

I don't think the players' association will require a pound of flesh for this rule.  They are all for it in order to keep veteran dues paying members occupying the last couple of seats on the bench.  They've shown a tendency to favor vets over rookies for a while, as evidenced by the standard rookie pay scale.

Both sides have been in favor of this for a while.   The Maurice Clarett ruling sped up the process a bit, and set a judicial precedent for any future legal challenges.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

idochog

College Basketball instantly improves with age difference.
I love Jesus!

HogDodging

Maybe, by having the players stay in college longer, they'll learn the value of teamwork.  That's something completely lacking from today's NBA.
But, I don't see such a rule being enforced.  Someone will sue on the basis they are a hardship case, and some liberal judge will force the NBA to accept them.

artyhog

Some tried to sue teh NFL for their "Junior" rule.  They lost.  The Judges would not go against a Union Contract.

DirkPiggler

Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 08, 2005, 02:15:13 pm
Maybe, by having the players stay in college longer, they'll learn the value of teamwork. That's something completely lacking from today's NBA.
But, I don't see such a rule being enforced. Someone will sue on the basis they are a hardship case, and some liberal judge will force the NBA to accept them.

Clarett tried, and lost.  There's a judicial precedent. 

"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

RebelliousHog

I'm all for the limit. I gave that as a reason for problems in the NBA a while back. I think it will help college teams. As far as kids leaving as Sophs and Juniors? They already are.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: maintube on March 08, 2005, 02:38:31 pm
I'm all for the limit. I gave that as a reason for problems in the NBA a while back. I think it will help college teams. As far as kids leaving as Sophs and Juniors? They already are.
True, and at least you get one or two years ... who knows, they may even like where they are at a play their 4 years out.  Sure it's a long shot for some, but theoretically it could happen.

Whataboar™

"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

PorcineSublime

Gotta do this for the long term survival of both NBA and college ball. The NBA's image has never been lower and while two years of college doesn't guarantee good citizen's at least they get two more years of maturity. Then there are the guys who need four years of college BB to bring their game to the NBA level. You keep fricking with the college game by drafting HS'ers and you might kill the golden goose. The star players will aways be ready early, but it takes 15 players to fillout a bench and they are not all superstars. JMO.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

Big Papa Satan

UKhog1

I think/hope it would help us get some of the al jeffersons and the sort. 

Porquemada

Big Papa Satan

Sanctified Swine

it would improve both the pro and college game. The college game for obvious reasons and the pro game would get more experienced and more recognizable players with an already established fan base.

When these high school kids come out, 99 times out of a 100 the fans don't know squat about him. Lebron was an exception to that (Espn made sure of that). But if some of these kids went on to school and displyed there skills and built up a fan base, that would mean more fans for the pro game, once he went pro. MAKES SENSE NBA. -

UKhog1

idochog

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on March 08, 2005, 10:18:19 pm
it would improve both the pro and college game. The college game for obvious reasons and the pro game would get more experienced and more recognizable players with an already established fan base.

When these high school kids come out, 99 times out of a 100 the fans don't know squat about him. Lebron was an exception to that (Espn made sure of that). But if some of these kids went on to school and displyed there skills and built up a fan base, that would mean more fans for the pro game, once he went pro. MAKES SENSE NBA. -

Check the NFL for proof of that.  I wonder how many fans MJ is gonna create for the particular NFL team that drafts him?  Heck its even possible that MJ is gonna have a beat writer from the state covering alot of his activities.  Wow what great exposure for the NFL team that drafts him.  The NFL is a well-oiled machine and thier 3yr removed from high school rule is just one reason.
I love Jesus!

Lando Calrissian

The NFL is, BY FAR, the most well-run professional sports league.

The younger the NBA gets, the worse it gets.

I think at some point though, the NBA will get the picture.  The more fans it alienates, the less revenue they have.  The less revenue they have, the less cash they have to blow on some 6'9 high school kid that will take 5 years to develop.

The NBA is also going to have to rethink it's marketing too.  It markets itself as a "players" league.  You don't hear about the Cavs, you hear about Lebron.  You don't hear about the Heat, you hear about Shaq.  And so on...

They're totally forgetting that most of us were very attached to the Jordan-era (like him or not) and in retrospect, it's a phenomenon that will NEVER be successfully intentionally recreated.   They try. 

I just think most of us really don't care because we did see Jordan, Magic, and Bird play ball, and that is enough to satisfy one with the NBA for a lifetime.

Lebron is a great ball player.  He'll be the best player in the league (if he isn't already) within the next 2 season.  He'll most likely be averaging a triple-double every night.....but he ain't Jordan, or Magic, or Bird. 

Maybe he'll prove us wrong.  That would be sweet to see, but at this point, the way the NBA promotes it's players, it makes any guy that scores 20 a game seem like a legend.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 09, 2005, 01:22:52 am

I think at some point though, the NBA will get the picture.  The more fans it alienates, the less revenue they have.  The less revenue they have, the less cash they have to blow on some 6'9 high school kid that will take 5 years to develop.

The NBA is also going to have to rethink it's marketing too.  It markets itself as a "players" league.  You don't hear about the Cavs, you hear about Lebron.  You don't hear about the Heat, you hear about Shaq.  And so on...

They're totally forgetting that most of us were very attached to the Jordan-era (like him or not) and in retrospect, it's a phenomenon that will NEVER be successfully intentionally recreated.   They try. 

I just think most of us really don't care because we did see Jordan, Magic, and Bird play ball, and that is enough to satisfy one with the NBA for a lifetime.

Lebron is a great ball player.  He'll be the best player in the league (if he isn't already) within the next 2 season.  He'll most likely be averaging a triple-double every night.....but he ain't Jordan, or Magic, or Bird. 

Maybe he'll prove us wrong.  That would be sweet to see, but at this point, the way the NBA promotes it's players, it makes any guy that scores 20 a game seem like a legend.

Garnett, J. O'Neal, Bryant, Lebron, McGrady, A. Stoudimire, Rashard Lewis.    I 'll take them, you take anybody else, we'll see who wins.  Fact is, a guy two years removed from HS is the probably the best player in the NBA.  How can you deny him the right to play.  Is it dangerous? is he not physical or mature enough? It's unfortunate for the college game, but some 18 year ols are qualified to play in the NBA. 

Amityvillehogger

guys 2 years removed from highschool is/are not the best players in the NBA. 
How bout you go back to your padded room and knock the rest of your brains out....and quit talking non-sense.

They may be the most exciting to you, but there not the best
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Amityvillehogger

OK, I'll take you on with your youngun's

Give Me:
Shag, Bird, Jordan, Magic and whoever else you want me to have and i'll beat ya..
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Patch

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 10, 2005, 08:24:39 am

Garnett, J. O'Neal, Bryant, Lebron, McGrady, A. Stoudimire, Rashard Lewis. I 'll take them, you take anybody else, we'll see who wins. Fact is, a guy two years removed from HS is the probably the best player in the NBA. How can you deny him the right to play. Is it dangerous? is he not physical or mature enough? It's unfortunate for the college game, but some 18 year ols are qualified to play in the NBA.

Okay, then your players coming off the bench need to be

Corey Benjamin, Tremaine Fowlkes, Mark Miller, DeShawn Stevenson, Korleone Young, Leon Smith, Ronnie Fields, Dwight Howard, Kwame Brown, Ndudi Ebi,Kendrick Perkins , James Lang, Sebastain Telfair,  Shaun Livingston,Dorell Wright, Robert Swift, and list goes on.

Garnett, Kobe, LeBron etc. are the exception when it comes to high school players going to the NBA. They had a good head on their shoulders and were mature enough to be successful. The list of casualties is much greater, and it will only continue to grow if more and more high school kids who are NOT ready try to make the jump.

THE AGE LIMIT IS A VERY GOOD THING. I wouldn't have a problem with a college degree requirement.

sooie dog

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on March 10, 2005, 08:24:39 am
Quote from: Lando Calrissian on March 09, 2005, 01:22:52 am

I think at some point though, the NBA will get the picture. The more fans it alienates, the less revenue they have. The less revenue they have, the less cash they have to blow on some 6'9 high school kid that will take 5 years to develop.

The NBA is also going to have to rethink it's marketing too. It markets itself as a "players" league. You don't hear about the Cavs, you hear about Lebron. You don't hear about the Heat, you hear about Shaq. And so on...

They're totally forgetting that most of us were very attached to the Jordan-era (like him or not) and in retrospect, it's a phenomenon that will NEVER be successfully intentionally recreated. They try.

Lebron is a great ball player. He'll be the best player in the league (if he isn't already) within the next 2 season. He'll most likely be averaging a triple-double every night.....but he ain't Jordan, or Magic, or Bird.

Maybe he'll prove us wrong. That would be sweet to see, but at this point, the way the NBA promotes it's players, it makes any guy that scores 20 a game seem like a legend.

Garnett, J. O'Neal, Bryant, Lebron, McGrady, A. Stoudimire, Rashard Lewis. I 'll take them, you take anybody else, we'll see who wins. Fact is, a guy two years removed from HS is the probably the best player in the NBA. How can you deny him the right to play. Is it dangerous? is he not physical or mature enough? It's unfortunate for the college game, but some 18 year ols are qualified to play in the NBA.

If they want me to watch them they had better play college ball.  Unless they cause a riot or something exciting I'm not going to waste my time watching any product the NBA puts out.  They can't even win the olympics anymore.