Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For all of us that want a change...

Started by hognelson, October 21, 2005, 03:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hognelson

Hypothetically, let's say you could have your pick between Davis and Tuberville.  Remember hypothetically without any of the past crap with TT.  which one would you want?

:-\

B Ray

Davis... he would be an immediate impact for recruiting, and I think he would be a better coach!

hogsanity

Quote from: B Ray on October 21, 2005, 03:18:53 pm
Davis... he would be an immediate impact for recruiting, and I think he would be a better coach!

You ASSUME Davis would have an immediate impact on recruiting, but I think that is over hyped.  Is he just going to walk into some recruits house in TX and say, " You know, I am glad Tx, Miami, Lsu TN, are all after you, but I am Butch Davis come to Ar and help me REBUILD for 3 years so in your SR season we might have a shot at a NC."?

We assumed MM would have an impact too, but his teamate Williams wont come here ( or atleast says he isnt ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hognelson

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2005, 03:24:37 pm

You ASSUME Davis would have an immediate impact on recruiting, but I think that is over hyped. Is he just going to walk into some recruits house in TX and say, " You know, I am glad Tx, Miami, Lsu TN, are all after you, but I am Butch Davis come to Ar and help me REBUILD for 3 years so in your SR season we might have a shot at a NC."?

We assumed MM would have an impact too, but his teamate Williams wont come here ( or atleast says he isnt ).

I think it is better than Nutt walking into a recruits house and saying "You know, I am glad that Tx., Miami, LSU, TEnn are all after you, but I am THE Houston Nutt, come to Arkansas help me possibly start to rebuild by the time you are a senior.

CorningHog

I say Butch Davis hands down.  Even excluding all the crap TT has pulled against Arkansas and their fans trying to motivate and upstage Arkansas.

Davis has the knowledge and presence to demand anyone's attention.  He knows football.  Just listen to him on the NFL show he is on.  Wish I could find that thing again.  Anyone know the time and channel it comes on.

Add in the fact that Butch would have nearly 12 years as assistant and head coach to extract some talent from Texas and Florida!  I can imagine that Butch knows a few High School coaches from down there.

Add in his days as a Jimmy Johnson boy and the Dallas Cowboys and you would imagine he knows Texas quite well too.

I think that with Butch Davis and his desire to build a successful program and the Arkansas fans who want him to have the chance, that with Davis, you wouldn't have to worry about him leaving or resigning if things were too tough to make it happen at Arkansas.  He would retire.  He is a whole lot more competitive than Houston Nutt in my honest opinion.

Get Davis on board, and the assistant coaches would start lining up.  Just like you will see at South Carolina, the media would put Arkansas on a pedestal for a while, ESPN, CBS etc...  The coaches he gets to come to Arkansas would be impressive too, a mixture of young and old and ones that know their business.  Discipline would be easily visible and the resulting efforts on the field would too.

Mitch Mustain and Gus Malzahn along with Damian & Andrew Norman would be coming along too.

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

madxbayhog

MajorHog

I'll take Davis.  proven track record in ON THE FIELD COACHING.  recruiting is important but someone has to coach what gets recruited.
You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

lumphog

I  WANT  BUTCH   And, Yes he would have an instant impact on recruits, being a former NFL head coach and DC with a fist full of BLING-BLING super bowl RING would be impressive to a recruit trying to make it to the pros. Who better to get you there, than a man that`s been there? And he has experience rebuilding a down program.

razorback4life

You ASSUME Davis would have an immediate impact on recruiting, but I think that is over hyped. Is he just going to walk into some recruits house in TX and say, " You know, I am glad Tx, Miami, Lsu TN, are all after you, but I am Butch Davis come to Ar and help me REBUILD for 3 years so in your SR season we might have a shot at a NC."?

hogsanity, what is Nutt going to say when he walks into a kids living room?  How about, "You know, I am glad Texas, Miami, LSU, and Tenn are after you, but I am Houston Dale Nutt come to Arkansas and help me prove that I am not a terrible coach and the NCAA "investigation" brought on all my failures in:  evaluating talent, going "0 for October", winning only 2 out of 6 of my bowl games, not being able to have a respectable SEC victory in almost 3 years to the day, losing to Kentucky at home, losing to Vandy at home after publicly calling them out and using them for an excuse for not having a better SEC record, not being able to come up with anything better than calling for a draw play on third down, , taking the most talented team I ever had to a very disappointing season while getting upset three weeks in a row to UNRANKED TEAMS, and letting you the kids who I ask put faith in me wonder if i will be here or run to any job opening that comes along."

Yeah, I could see how Davis would really suck at selling our program better than Nutt has.   ::)

Jim Harris

right now I believe if Ken Hatfield was rehired from Rice, he'd have more of an impact on recruiting than Nutt could have. If we made Gus M. head coach, he'd have more of an impact nationally on recruiting than Nutt could have.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

hognelson

On Direct Tv, Butch is on NFL Playbook at 7pm on Tues., Thurs., and Sat.  7:30pm on Wed, and Fri.

Watch him break down tape and then think of Nutt and what he would say.   :o

CorningHog

I think putting Reggie Herring at HC and putting Gus Malzahn as OC would have more impact on recruiting.

There are only so many times you can use the line, "Come help us rebuild the tradition at Arkansas".  We are going to be competing soon, lots of young talent.

Nutt is over his head.  Sorry.

hogsanity

Well, if Davis is the coach HDN wont be in those rooms now will he.  My point has nothing to do with Nutt.  Simply the fact that I think people put way too much stock in Davis bringing home a ton of top flight recruits.  Maybe Ill be wrong, maybe he wont be hired, maybe we win 9 next yr and go to the SECC with Nutt or Davis or someone else. 

No one knows what goes throught these recruits minds, what they find impressive, and what outside factors play a part in their choice. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorback Jedi

I'll take Nutt over both of them. I think if Nutt had a real QB and didn't have the NCAA investigation to deal with over the past 5 season, he would be where Auburn or LSU is right now. I also think that Nutt's been hampered by injuries and everyone not hitting their holes/blocks on those 3 or 4 plays that would turn the game around for us.

In the end, given the above, I think Nutt is the man.

Tomhog™

I think right now, Nutt will have a hard time recruiting anyone.  Whether TT or BD became coach, they'd have an immediate impact.  No one wants to go to a school that doesn't appear to be headed in the right direction.  The hiring of a new HC goes a long ways.  Remember, changing nothing and expecting the a different result is foolishness...

Biggus Piggus

Did you guys see this?  Headline is

"No resting easy even in lower-profile games"

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/sports/1129886193187690.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

Guess who they are talking about.
[CENSORED]!

hognelson

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2005, 03:47:22 pm
Well, if Davis is the coach HDN wont be in those rooms now will he. My point has nothing to do with Nutt. Simply the fact that I think people put way too much stock in Davis bringing home a ton of top flight recruits. Maybe Ill be wrong, maybe he wont be hired, maybe we win 9 next yr and go to the SECC with Nutt or Davis or someone else.

No one knows what goes throught these recruits minds, what they find impressive, and what outside factors play a part in their choice.

True Hogsanity, this thread was started about Davis and Tuberville, not Nutt.

CorningHog

Dang, I don't have DirectTV.  But I saw him at a sportsbar on that show in Birmingham, the week we went to Alabama for the game.

Your right Hognelson, he can flat lay out the lingo and terminology of a coach that knows what is happening on the field.  He can flat break down the strengths and weaknesses of players and what was impressive the night I watched, he knew of players and their former colleges and could recall lots of things that the player could or could not do well in college and whether any progress was being made.

This guy has my vote.  I'll admit that the Cleveland thing and the so called mental breakdown had me worried and I even told friends that he had it easy at Miami, FL.  Well, think about it, Bowden, Fulmer, and many others have "super talent" and year in and year out they don't find the NC title games.  Butch Davis can get it done, he can evaluate talent, he can recruit, and more importantly he has the guts and fortitude to bring in coaches that can do the teaching and coaching and will instill the "winner's attitude" and championship type character that it takes to develop these kids.  I don't think there is a better fit.

GO HOGS!

Oh, and if we needed to pay Butch Davis $2.5 million per year, I would not care.  I doubt it would be all about the money, but signing him to a 7 year deal for as much as any proven head coach in the SEC would not hurt my feelings.  In fact, I would committ to paying $500 per year.  I bet we could find 5,000 other fans that would do the same or something better.

GO HOGS!

hognelson

Yes, it was not something I was accostomed to being a Hog fan, he definitely knows his x's and o's.

Sound the Horns

Jim Harris

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2005, 03:47:22 pm
Well, if Davis is the coach HDN wont be in those rooms now will he. My point has nothing to do with Nutt. Simply the fact that I think people put way too much stock in Davis bringing home a ton of top flight recruits. Maybe Ill be wrong, maybe he wont be hired, maybe we win 9 next yr and go to the SECC with Nutt or Davis or someone else.

I don't run a 4.3 nor am I 6-2 and 250, but from my own personal experience, between Butch Davis and Houston Nutt I'd choose to play for Davis. Just in the way they come across, which one seems sharper. Obviously everyone is different and sees coaches and the reasons to pick one over the other differently. I'm basing this on my thoughts about Nutt when he first arrived, too, not today or where the program stands, just straight up Nutt vs. Davis.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 21, 2005, 03:49:45 pm
I'll take Nutt over both of them. I think if Nutt had a real QB and didn't have the NCAA investigation to deal with over the past 5 season, he would be where Auburn or LSU is right now. I also think that Nutt's been hampered by injuries and everyone not hitting their holes/blocks on those 3 or 4 plays that would turn the game around for us.

Thanks for posting Mr. Lindsey.

DisplacedHogFan

Biggus Piggus

Brilliant bit of humor.
[CENSORED]!

Boner

Yes, Davis would be able to recruit.  What's his pitch?  Say he's recruiting a RB: "Well, I coached the Dallas Cowboys for a while, got these three Super Bowl rings, then I went to the University of Miami where I sent Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, and about 40 other guys to the NFL.  After that I was a head coach and GM in the pros for five years.  If there's one thing I can guarantee you, its that I know what it will take to get to the NFL.  You, son, have the skills to play in the NFL and I can get you there.  By the way, did I tell you that you remind me alot of Emmitt, Edgerrin, and Clinton?  I know because I coached them."

This same pitch, slightly adjusted, will also work on QB's, RB's, WR's, OL's, DE's,.............

HOGCATCH

Your hired!!!!!!!
Quote from: Boner on October 21, 2005, 04:30:05 pm
Yes, Davis would be able to recruit. What's his pitch? Say he's recruiting a RB: "Well, I coached the Dallas Cowboys for a while, got these three Super Bowl rings, then I went to the University of Miami where I sent Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, and about 40 other guys to the NFL. After that I was a head coach and GM in the pros for five years. If there's one thing I can guarantee you, its that I know what it will take to get to the NFL. You, son, have the skills to play in the NFL and I can get you there. By the way, did I tell you that you remind me alot of Emmitt, Edgerrin, and Clinton? I know because I coached them."

This same pitch, slightly adjusted, will also work on QB's, RB's, WR's, OL's, DE's,.............
Winning is a way of life!

e_dub

Have you ever participated in the special olympics??

hoggystyle78

AMAMZING!

hoggystyle78

I think that either would be an improvement over nutty, but I have to choose one I choose Butch, I think he would get our program back on the rise. IMHO

jblack19

Ill stick with the 3rd option, Nutt.  :razorback:

Anti-OtisII

;D ;D ;D  I' m still laughing.  Doesn't anyone understand dry humor?

Theolesnort

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 21, 2005, 07:09:14 pm

;D ;D ;D I' m still laughing. Doesn't anyone understand dry humor?
I think he sucked Drake in and I will admit he almost got me too.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Flatline

I would be happy with either one.  I would prefer Butch Davis but Tommy has done some great things at Auburn.  I think it would be easier to get Butch also.  I think Tommy leaving Auburn for Arkansas would be a step down for him.  Butch has been out of work for a year and can pick what he wants.  Butch may look at Arkansas as another stepping stone, turning another program around.  I would not mind that if he left us like he left Miami.

Buff

Quote from: jblack19 on October 21, 2005, 06:23:33 pm
Ill stick with the 3rd option, Nutt. :razorback:

you also think this sign should remain in the HC's office?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Oklahawg

This whole thing also depends on how HDN exits. If he leaves for Kentucky on his own, fine. If he's pushed out what kind of shenanigans are involved? Do we get, gulp, another committee? Its going to be hard to compete with other schools, toe-to-toe, for Butch Davis. We have to hope that IF (big if) he's interested that the opening occurs when other schools are not able to court him vs. UA.

Why would any coach make a lateral move to UA? That assumes that Arkansas is roughly equal to Auburn in football. I think we can no longer make that claim, which was a reasonable one right up to that 10-3 mystery in October, 2003.

Thus, we are likely looking at someone without Davis' pedigree or Tubby's resume. Better hope that the choices can (a) recruit Texas; (b) recruit somewhere else that we generally "recruit"; and (c) can deal with Herring and Malzahn on the staff. Losing or liquidating Herring will make it tough to ever hire a high-profile assistant again. Malzahn is tethered to some rather talented guys at Springdale HS.

I'll stick with Mike Price at UTEP. Sleeper candidate is Steve Kragthorpe at Tulsa. My best odds are that HDN gets one more year, albeit with a very different staff.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 21, 2005, 09:45:53 pm
This whole thing also depends on how HDN exits. If he leaves for Kentucky on his own, fine. If he's pushed out what kind of shenanigans are involved? Do we get, gulp, another committee? Its going to be hard to compete with other schools, toe-to-toe, for Butch Davis. We have to hope that IF (big if) he's interested that the opening occurs when other schools are not able to court him vs. UA.

Why would any coach make a lateral move to UA? That assumes that Arkansas is roughly equal to Auburn in football. I think we can no longer make that claim, which was a reasonable one right up to that 10-3 mystery in October, 2003.

Thus, we are likely looking at someone without Davis' pedigree or Tubby's resume. Better hope that the choices can (a) recruit Texas; (b) recruit somewhere else that we generally "recruit"; and (c) can deal with Herring and Malzahn on the staff. Losing or liquidating Herring will make it tough to ever hire a high-profile assistant again. Malzahn is tethered to some rather talented guys at Springdale HS.

I'll stick with Mike Price at UTEP. Sleeper candidate is Steve Kragthorpe at Tulsa. My best odds are that HDN gets one more year, albeit with a very different staff.

Didn't UT just sign Steve Kragthorpe to a long-term deal?  I thought i heard that somewhere.

TulsaHawg

October 21, 2005, 10:50:04 pm #37 Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:53:21 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 21, 2005, 10:31:07 pm
Quote from: Oklahawg on October 21, 2005, 09:45:53 pm

Didn't UT just sign Steve Kragthorpe to a long-term deal? I thought i heard that somewhere.

They did give Coach K a 6 year extension.  Of course, TU gave their basketball coaches extensions too, but that didn't keep them from leaving.

BTW, TU is a big fav tomorrow against SMU.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hognelson on October 21, 2005, 03:11:55 pm
Hypothetically, let's say you could have your pick between Davis and Tuberville. Remember hypothetically without any of the past crap with TT. which one would you want?

Davis nor Tubby would come here now.  Why not just add Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops to you hypothetical question?

dirty stanchez

When Davis walks into a recruit's living room wearing his two Superbowl rings, you can bet that he would get the young man's attention.

Winning isn't a some of the time thing, it's an all of the time thing.

GrizzledHogFan

Hypothetically, let's say you could have your pick between Davis and Tuberville. Remember hypothetically without any of the past crap with TT. which one would you want?

If I had only those two to choose from, I'd have to go with Davis.  I don't think he's interested in coming here though.  Of course, I don't think Tuberville is either.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

HogFansReunited

This is a easy question.  I would go with Butch in a heartbeat.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

hognelson

Quote from: PorkPariah on October 21, 2005, 10:57:58 pm

It wasn't about if I thought they would come here, hypothetically just between those two if everything settled in the universe that they both were there and we could pick between just those two, who would you want.  That simple. 
Man that was a long and winded sentence.

Davis nor Tubby would come here now. Why not just add Pete Carroll and Bob Stoops to you hypothetical question?

hognelson

and yes, I need to learn how to quote correctly  ::)

jblack19

October 22, 2005, 07:50:53 am #44 Last Edit: October 22, 2005, 10:34:35 am by jblack19
Quote from: President (almost Dictator) Buffinator Flex on October 21, 2005, 08:55:56 pm

If you read the sign, it actually refers to you and the rest of the Nutt haters... jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle.. That is the definition of haters in here.

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 21, 2005, 07:09:14 pm

;D ;D ;D I' m still laughing. Doesn't anyone understand dry humor?

I'm glad a few got it. :)

HogInGermany

Quote from: jblack19 on October 22, 2005, 07:50:53 am
Quote from: President (almost Dictator) Buffinator Flex on October 21, 2005, 08:55:56 pm

If you read the sign, it actually refers to you and the rest of the Nutt haters... jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle.. That is the defination of haters in here.

Jblack, I understand that you still support Nutt, and think that he is getting a raw deal from the haters, but are you really saying that you would pick Nutt over Davis. I'm not saying that we have a chance at Butch, I don't know. Just hypothetically if we had Butch lined up to take the job, do you really think we would be better off retaining Nutt.

jblack19

Quote from: HogInGermany on October 22, 2005, 08:22:46 am
Quote from: jblack19 on October 22, 2005, 07:50:53 am

If you read the sign, it actually refers to you and the rest of the Nutt haters... jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle.. That is the defination of haters in here.

Jblack, I understand that you still support Nutt, and think that he is getting a raw deal from the haters, but are you really saying that you would pick Nutt over Davis. I'm not saying that we have a chance at Butch, I don't know. Just hypothetically if we had Butch lined up to take the job, do you really think we would be better off retaining Nutt.
Nutt is the coach. When and IF hes asked to leave, resigns, or plain ole fired, then and only then I will speculate on who I would like to see as the next coach. Until then, I will continue to support Nutt and the current program.