Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

? about malzahn becoming oc...

Started by hawgjowls, October 21, 2005, 01:51:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgjowls

if this comes true what kind of offensive blocking scheme does he want use.  markuson teaches the zone blocking scheme and i dont believe that is what you want in a wide-open offense but i may be wrong.

any opinions?

dudemanhog

Cajun Hog

Quote from: hawgjowls on October 21, 2005, 01:51:08 pm
if this comes true what kind of offensive blocking scheme does he want use. markuson teaches the zone blocking scheme and i dont believe that is what you want in a wide-open offense but i may be wrong.

any opinions?

It would a  a LOT more wide open and Markuson won't be the o-line coach.  He can't teach pass blocking or won't, take your pick on that.  If you give Gus the pass that's what he will take and if you give him the run that's what he take.  If you look at his offense now it more run then when he was at Shiloh.  He was what he has and make adjustments better then any coach in the state.  All up-side in the futrue. 

jabohog

if this comes true what kind of offensive blocking scheme does he want use. markuson teaches the zone blocking scheme and i dont believe that is what you want in a wide-open offense but i may be wrong.

any opinions?
The blocking scheme in the spread is more complex than what we use now. That is one of the main reasons Nutt uses this offense. It has the potential for the least amount of mistakes. The spread however is a more mistake prone offense. You need great WR to execute it. The blocking can be complex or it can be simplified to an extent, but simplifying also limits your options. Take Florida for example, this is the OL that blocked for Fason and Leak last year, but this year Leak is getting killed. Okla St. runs the spread and they are not scoring the points because of line play and the lack of talented receivers. Be advised, if the spread is the future of the Hogs offense, it will be some years before the talent and technique are in place to make it successful. I hope we invest in talent on defense to stop other offenses. We have the running backs, and a fine WR, but we need more talent at the WR postion and depth in the OL as well as a JIM DANDY QB to make the spread work.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: jabohog on October 21, 2005, 09:57:01 pm
if this comes true what kind of offensive blocking scheme does he want use. markuson teaches the zone blocking scheme and i don't believe that is what you want in a wide-open offense but i may be wrong.

any opinions?

The blocking scheme in the spread is more complex than what we use now. That is one of the main reasons Nutt uses this offense. It has the potential for the least amount of mistakes. The spread however is a more mistake prone offense. You need great WR to execute it. The blocking can be complex or it can be simplified to an extent, but simplifying also limits your options. Take Florida for example, this is the OL that blocked for Fason and Leak last year, but this year Leak is getting killed. Okla St. runs the spread and they are not scoring the points because of line play and the lack of talented receivers. Be advised, if the spread is the future of the Hogs offense, it will be some years before the talent and technique are in place to make it successful. I hope we invest in talent on defense to stop other offenses. We have the running backs, and a fine WR, but we need more talent at the WR postion and depth in the OL as well as a JIM DANDY QB to make the spread work.

That's a very good point about the blocking schemes and the spread offense.  Call me crazy but I think our receivers aren't that bad if the QB could get them the ball on time.  You put Monk, Logan, Washington, Norman and Williams in the rotrating next would be alright.

Hog Bounty Hunter

any opinions?

Markuson won't be here so it won't matter.

DisplacedHogFan

any opinions?

The only flaw I can see in your post is Mitch would already have several years of experience in Gus's offense whereas Leak has had to learn Meyer's spread offense on the fly. Leak seems to hesitate in his new role more than he did in the past, meaning he is uncomfortable, but Mitch is already familiar and comfortable with Gus's system. Just food for thought. I think our guys could be taught to pass protect well enough to serve our purposes. Having stud RB's will also help Mitch a lot because teams will have to respect the run...allowing receivers to get open more than if he had say South Carolina's RB's.

dudemanhog

jabohog

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 21, 2005, 10:20:10 pm

any opinions?

The only flaw I can see in your post is Mitch would already have several years of experience in Gus's offense whereas Leak has had to learn Meyer's spread offense on the fly. Leak seems to hesitate in his new role more than he did in the past, meaning he is uncomfortable, but Mitch is already familiar and comfortable with Gus's system. Just food for thought. I think our guys could be taught to pass protect well enough to serve our purposes. Having stud RB's will also help Mitch a lot because teams will have to respect the run...allowing receivers to get open more than if he had say South Carolina's RB's.
Good points. I think Leak is uncomfortable because he is getting body slammed on a regular basis when they play a good defense.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: dudemanhog on October 21, 2005, 10:46:35 pm
Quote from: PulledPork on October 21, 2005, 09:27:25 pm
Quote from: dudemanhog on October 21, 2005, 09:21:13 pm
Doesn't matter. He won't be OC.
Are you sure you "know what you are taking about?"

Yes.

Well he won't have the title, but I think he will be doing the job.

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: DisplacedHogFanThe only flaw I can see in your post is Mitch would already have several years of experience in Gus's offense whereas Leak has had to learn Meyer's spread offense on the fly. Leak seems to hesitate in his new role more than he did in the past, meaning he is uncomfortable, but Mitch is already familiar and comfortable with Gus's system.

I agree 100%.

I actually tried to make a very similar point in another thread about this only to get jeered at by the few "Gus is just a high school coach" guys.

I think it's pretty safe to say Mitch will start next year as a true freshman.  That's a tough position to put any freshman in, which is why putting him out there with a system that A) works and B) he knows already...only boosts the offense's success & potential.

It baffles me that some people can't see the overwhelming positive possibilites of that.  Those are good possibilities.  And when I mean good, I mean SCARY good.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on October 21, 2005, 11:45:36 pm
Quote from: DisplacedHogFanThe only flaw I can see in your post is Mitch would already have several years of experience in Gus's offense whereas Leak has had to learn Meyer's spread offense on the fly. Leak seems to hesitate in his new role more than he did in the past, meaning he is uncomfortable, but Mitch is already familiar and comfortable with Gus's system.

I agree 100%.

I actually tried to make a very similar point in another thread about this only to get jeered at by the few "Gus is just a high school coach" guys.

I think it's pretty safe to say Mitch will start next year as a true freshman. That's a tough position to put any freshman in, which is why putting him out there with a system that A) works and B) he knows already...only boosts the offense's success & potential.

It baffles me that some people can't see the overwhelming positive possibilites of that. Those are good possibilities. And when I mean good, I mean SCARY good.
And I agree with you 100% Lando!!     If Gus, Mitch, Andrew, Williams, and Cleveland all came here, or even just a couple of them, the timing they have developed over the years and their ability to communicate with each other coupled with their talent would put them light years ahead of most freshmen.  And if you add to that being able to run the offense you've ran for the last 5 years....they could be lethal!!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Mr A Ziffell

this is a DA thread...an exellent coach..yes..a high school coach...yes...someone Nutt would turn the offense over to...U answer the ?

DOGALUM

Quote from: Mr A Ziffell on October 22, 2005, 12:42:41 am
this is a DA thread...an exellent coach..yes..a high school coach...yes...someone Nutt would turn the offense over to...U answer the ?

If the offense gets turned over to him.....it won't be because Nutt wanted to do it. 

Lando Calrissian

Quote from: DOGALUMIf the offense gets turned over to him.....it won't be because Nutt wanted to do it.

You just watch though.  Nutt will try to take all of the credit for it if it works. 

Everybody talks about how Gus works in all of the receivers AND the TE with the passing game, but one major thing is lost in that too:  he actually uses the RBs in the passing game.  Not just your typical swing passes, but RBs who line up and run patterns.

Clinkscales caught a 20 yd (give or take) TD pass against VB.  I do admit that I don't know whether F Jones or McFadden can catch or not, but you could not possibly tell me that they don't want to be thrown to. 

Seriously, we're talking about a difference between a simple "Vanilla & Chocolate only (with a heavy dose of Matt Jones when he was here)" offense and a "42 Flavors & more" style.

Which do you want?  I'll take the choice of 42 flavors & more any day of the week.

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

DOGALUM

Again.......agreed!!!

Go Hogs........GO DOGS!!!!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Lando Calrissian

That is just awesome right there.

A few friends of mine played some small college football in Kansas a few years back and a bunch of us went up to see them play one weekend, and I have to say Springdale's facilities are FAR superior.

Another thing with Gus is, while is most definetely an "offense" orientated coach, he is still the Head Coach and he has to deal with all the machinations a Head Coach much deal with by default.  Managing every facet of the team.  Player management (we're talking about 80-90 teenage boys, which must be hell), team management, and game management.

That is a load.  When he is an assistant for the Hogs, that load will be lessened.  He's going to have a core group of guys (even if it ends up being the whole offense) to work with every day.

If he is totally focused on working with parts of the offense (or the offense on the whole) then watch out.

Why not Malzahn?  He's got a system that is multi-dimensional, which means he's flexible.  He's all about scoring points in any manner possible.  He's got one of the best QBs in the nation that already understands that multi-dimensional system.

What have we got to lose?

DOGALUM

we have nothing to lose at all.  Something else Gus does that HDN should have done is delegate.  Gus is not only a brilliant football mind, he surrounds himself with other brilliant people....and lets them do their job.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HogFansReunited

I agree Dogalum.  Nutt might be an ok coach if he would take off a few of the hats that he tries to wear and let someone else do what they know how to do best.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568