ADG Article on Damian Williams WR Springdale

Started by riccoar, October 21, 2005, 06:52:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

riccoar

HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL WEEK 8

Bring on the bull's-eye

Extra attention doesn't slow Springdale receiver

BY RICK FIRES ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

SPRINGDALE — Barry Lunney has seen a lot of playmakers during a coaching career that is approaching 25 years.
   He rattles off a long list, beginning with running back Basil Shabazz of Pine Bluff, who rushed for five touchdowns in a state championship game. He follows with Eric Mitchel, the Pine Bluff quarterback who played at Oklahoma, and former Fort Smith Northside running back Keniko Logan, who led the state in rushing in 1994.
   The latest addition to Lunney's list is Damian Williams, the Springdale wide receiver who scorched Bentonville for four first-half touchdowns in last week's 42-14 victory over the Tigers.
   "I'd put Damian right up there with guys like Shabazz, Mitchel and Logan," Lunney said. "The great ones are targeted each week and yet they still perform.
   "Damian is so fluid in his running style, and he has great vision. You throw a quick screen to him and he'll drop those hips and take off for long yardage. He's a class individual with a bright, bright future."
   Williams, 6-1, 185, has committed to Florida along with teammate Ben Cleveland and has been spectacular at times while helping Springdale (7-0, 4-0 AAAAA-West) to a top-10 ranking in the national polls. He had four touchdown catches in a 44-0 victory over Jenks, Okla., and three touchdown catches in last week's victory over Bentonville.
   His 56-yard touchdown against Bentonville had fans buzzing and players and coaches shaking their heads at Williams' athleticism.
   Williams caught a pass from quarterback Mitch Mustain near the Bentonville sideline and appeared headed out of bounds. Instead, he planted his left foot and turned inward, outracing Bentonville defenders to the end zone while picking up a block from Zach Pianalto.
   "There were five or six guys who had a decent angle on Damian, and they didn't get him," said Springdale Coach Gus Malzahn, whose top-ranked Bulldogs host Van Buren (1-6, 0-4) tonight. "He made three different moves after catching the football, and it was just a phenomenal play."
   Andrew Norman, who plays opposite Williams at wide receiver, said he has learned never to let up when Williams has the ball because you never know when the play will be over.
   "Damian can make numerous guys miss at one time," Norman said. "We just have to keep blocking because he can take it the distance from anywhere on the field when he gets the ball."
   Williams, whom Malzahn calls a running back playing receiver, also scored on an 18-yard run and a 69-yard pass from Mustain just before the half against Bentonville.
   For the season, he has caught 32 passes for 746 yards and 12 touchdowns and rushed for 222 yards and 3 scores.
   Williams played running back as a sophomore, then switched to receiver after he sustained a bruised spinal cord against Van Buren.
   He caught 28 passes as a junior, and his reputation began to soar after his performance in a 35-0 victory over Fort Smith Southside.
   Williams returned a punt 72 yards, scored on a 4-yard run and caught 4 passes for 96 yards while often being defended by Slick Shelley, who is now a freshman wide receiver at Tennessee.
   "That game kind of put my name out there and gave me confidence that I can compete with the best," Williams said. "It's an honor to be mentioned as the same caliber of player as Slick Shelley."
   Williams, who returned a kickoff 90 yards last year against Harrison, continues to find different ways to get into the end zone.
   He returned an interception 58 yards for a score against Russellville and leads Springdale with 15 touchdowns. He has yet to throw a touchdown pass, but the season isn't over yet.
   "Mitchell and I were joking around the other day about that," Williams said. "It would be pretty fun to throw a touchdown to Mitchell after all the touchdown passes he's thrown to me, but I don't know if it will ever happen. We were just joking around."
   Of course, anything seems possible with Williams.