Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guys for the good of the program, we can't fire Nutt

Started by Hog Bounty Hunter, October 20, 2005, 10:16:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JDW

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on October 21, 2005, 09:42:07 am
This thread has given me the first feelings of hope in a long time. Seems like more is going on at the Hill than us fans know about.

I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks guys for discussing this so we understand a little more.

TulsaHawg

October 21, 2005, 09:51:33 am #51 Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:57:04 am by TulsaHawg
Quote from: PorkRyan on October 21, 2005, 09:49:55 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 21, 2005, 09:30:02 am
Quote from: PorkRyan on October 21, 2005, 08:56:15 am
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:05:30 pm
Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 10:48:03 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 10:44:08 pm
It's a complicated situation for sure. From what I understand Broyles and Lindsey have surveyed what's out there right now and have concluded this is not a good time to be hiring a head coach. They are hoping a better staff can turn this situation around. But this whole thing has gotten so hot politically that Nutt cannot likely survive any more losses at home this season.
It is true that they might be able to hire a coach who would take Gus on faith to get MM and possibly Damien. But there is no guarantee of that. Lindsey reportedly thinks Malzahn is the next Norm Chow. He doesn't want to lose this guy right out of the Hogs own back yard.

This kinda goes against the grain here Mike. So you are now saying Lindsey and JFB want to change the head coach but only arent considering it b/c they dont think there are decent alternatives? Before I thought they were dead-set against hiring a new coach and were firmly in HDNs corner.
That may be been said publicly but....
Look, LSU was a year off a national championship and had to hire a new coach.
1. They wanted Tuberville. He said NO.
2. They wanted Petrino. He said GET LOST.
3. They looked at HDN. He said MAKE ME AN OFFER IN 24 hours. They never did.
4. They looked at Les Miles. He was willing to interview in front of their "committee." He got the job. Now they wish he hadn't.
The point is LSU didn't have a choice. Saban left.
Before he cans Nutt Broyles wants to see if he can fix the problem with a better staff and a new offensive philosophy.
He doesn't want to pull the trigger on Nutt and find himself stuck with a new face, same problems.
If there were a no brainer hire out there and Frank was certain he could get him it would be a different story.

Your info on Petrino is dead wrong. LSU told Petrino to get lost.
LSU beat reporters gave me that info.
They said Petrino was contracted while he was preparing Louisville for a bowl game. The LSU people wanted to gauge his interest. He basically said, Leave me alone. I'm busy. They were offended by his attitude and never contacted him again. If that's them telling him to get lost you have a different way of looking at it than I do.
The LSU beat reporters told me it was apparent that Petrino had little or no interest in the LSU job.
Also unless you were part of the LSU search committee that talked to Petrino I will choose to accept what the LSU beat reporters told me. Most reporters who cover a football team have pretty good sources. If they don't they don't keep their jobs very long.

Petrino was more than just contacted, he was interviewed. That is the point where LSU decided they didn't want him. If he was so busy why did he interview? Tuberville was not their number one choice, Butch Davis was.

Pork, Mike is citing a LSU beat reporter.  Who is your source?

So far, I'm going with Mike's. The LSU guy has no reason to lie about this. In fact, saying that Petrino turned them down makes LSU look worse.

HogDodging

Quote from: redsnapper on October 21, 2005, 08:37:27 am
There is no way a legitimate SEC team would risk its entire multi-million dollar program on a high school senior. Mitch is an incredible QB, perhaps the best in the country, but something might happen,injury/personal to unfortunately preventhim from living what has become a dream of thousands of fans. However, to maintain the present is unacceptable.
And NOTHING has occurred that would indicate HN has earned the AD position.

That's assuming you think Arkansas is a "legitimate SEC team."
What other SEC team gave its coach a contract extension after having a losing season? 
What other SEC team, facing a second consecutive losing season, would keep that same coach?
People couldn't wait to get rid of Danny Ford after two losing seasons.  Now that Nutt is facing the same situation, they are crying for him to stay.
I don't get the double standard.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 21, 2005, 09:39:24 am
Quote from: redsnapper on October 21, 2005, 09:23:59 am
Mike,
Who was the last major conference head coach who replaced the majority of his staff after two losing seasins? There are probably many examples, but I can't recall them. Also, I believe it is regretable that all the blame is going to the assistants & worst of all, specific players. Someone at the top, FB or HN needs to say " we are disappointed in the results these past two years and WE assume the blame." So far I have only heard " stop bothering us with this, we TOLD you so."
Tuberville made some changes and came out of it looking real good. It's not clear how many of Nutt's assistants will be asked to leave. I agree that massive changes might cause a problem. Specifically recruiting could be affected. Markuson for instance is about to close the deal on a good juco D-back. Do you run him off and risk losing a good player ?
It could be that the staff changes are spread out over a two year period.
Guys, there's not one voice saying this or that is going to happen. Most of us are using a variety of sources and they don't always tell the same story. At this point you do your best to piece things together and try to come up with a scenario that you believe to be logical.
No question it's a puzzle and guys like me are looking for the missing pieces so we can see the real picture.

I would run Markuson off right now.  He can't teach lineman how to pass block.  When the line coach say ALL THE TIME we need max protection to throw the ball,  why do we need him?  We can find good young hungry coach who want to be head coaches and just be happy where they are.

jblack19

"The majority of the fan base is Anti-Nutt right now."

What is your factual evidence on this? I believe that would be your opinion rather than actual numbers. Interesting to see how people are changing their views on Nutt and the program. I guess this is how one jumps back on the Hog bandwagon and trying to save face. GO HOGS...  :razorback:

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: jblack19 on October 21, 2005, 10:22:21 am
"The majority of the fan base is Anti-Nutt right now."

What is your factual evidence on this? I believe that would be your opinion rather than actual numbers. Interesting to see how people are changing their views on Nutt and the program. I guess this is how one jumps back on the Hog bandwagon and trying to save face. GO HOGS... :razorback:

I actually think the majority of Hog fans are "ok" with Nutt right now. They've bought into the media's lies about the program being defined by the investigation.

As it is with most cases, the most  vocal fans are the ones who are not satisfied.

HogFanLR

Pure conjecture based on what i have seen and heard.

MOST fans are NOT ok with HDN right now.  However, I do not think there will be an uprising with only a change of staff.  Particularily if recruiting goes well.  (percieved well at least) A new offense that promises excitement will quell this.  Now if we are this bad next year.  Then I do not see any way HDN can survive.  But spring and some positive coming out of spring ball will generate the optimism again. 

So HDN can survive with Staff changes,  Does that mean we are better for it in the long run....That is another question.  But I do not think the fans will leave the program regardless....I say that even with the possibility of more home losses. 

HogFanLR

Also the question was possed on this thread as well as other would you loose a player to git rid of a coach.  The answer for the most part previously was yes.  (edited said no first but meant yes)

However, I have started to follow Gus some, I think his offense is a good one.  I think it will work in College.  I also think it takes a very good QB to make it work.  I would Keep HDN to get Gus and crew here.  Not because I am happy with Nutt.  But because I think that is best for the program and I care way more about the program and winning than who is the Head coach.  Just win. 

However, one last point.  If I was Frank I would find a good pro coach to mentor HDN on program administration.  Or one of the new hires would be an admin hire. 

JDW

Quote from: HogFanLR on October 21, 2005, 11:07:05 am

MOST fans are NOT ok with HDN right now. However, I do not think there will be an uprising with only a change of staff. Particularily if recruiting goes well. (percieved well at least) A new offense that promises excitement will quell this. Now if we are this bad next year. Then I do not see any way HDN can survive. But spring and some positive coming out of spring ball will generate the optimism again.

So HDN can survive with Staff changes, Does that mean we are better for it in the long run....That is another question. But I do not think the fans will leave the program regardless....I say that even with the possibility of more home losses.

I agree and think you answered your own questions. HDN will only be better off depending on how/who he recruits. If Mustain, Williams, and Malzhan come in next year I think things will surely quite down and we will feel again that we have hope.

Is it just me or has anyone got a feeling that if Malzhan comes in and HDN does not do well next season that maybe Malzhan will move closer to being HC?

HawgWyld

Quote from: JDW on October 21, 2005, 11:14:06 am

MOST fans are NOT ok with HDN right now. However, I do not think there will be an uprising with only a change of staff. Particularily if recruiting goes well. (percieved well at least) A new offense that promises excitement will quell this. Now if we are this bad next year. Then I do not see any way HDN can survive. But spring and some positive coming out of spring ball will generate the optimism again.

So HDN can survive with Staff changes, Does that mean we are better for it in the long run....That is another question. But I do not think the fans will leave the program regardless....I say that even with the possibility of more home losses.

I agree and think you answered your own questions. HDN will only be better off depending on how/who he recruits. If Mustain, Williams, and Malzhan come in next year I think things will surely quite down and we will feel again that we have hope.

Is it just me or has anyone got a feeling that if Malzhan comes in and HDN does not do well next season that maybe Malzhan will move closer to being HC?

That's possible, isn't it? That would tie in with the idea that Nutt is being groomed to replace Broyles. That's not a terrible position for Nutt, when you think about it. His cheerleading abilities would play well with donors and he's not smart enough to do any real damage to the program (provided he doesn't meddle in things and lets the coaches do their jobs).

hoggystyle78

Gee, I can't imagine any AD who would do that!   ha ha
Quote from: HawgWyld on October 21, 2005, 11:23:42 am
Quote from: JDW on October 21, 2005, 11:14:06 am

That's possible, isn't it? That would tie in with the idea that Nutt is being groomed to replace Broyles. That's not a terrible position for Nutt, when you think about it. His cheerleading abilities would play well with donors and he's not smart enough to do any real damage to the program (provided he doesn't meddle in things and lets the coaches do their jobs).

Hog Bounty Hunter

Here is another idea, say Nutt loses to SC in two weeks, from what I hear if that happens nothing will save him. So then what would we do.  Well say Butch Davis won't come, we would need a HC with a defensive mind so he would need a guy like  Gus.
With that being said I picked this up off the rumor mill  today:

"Tommy Tuberville is not only putting feelers out at Arkansas, he is also quietly checking out the situation at Texas A&M, where he was once DC. "

Now we all know that Tommy was Frank's choice back in 97, so if he has to let Nutt go would it not make sense to get Tubby?  Or Butch ? I am sure that either one of them would love to have Gus along with the Springdale 4 or 5 coming along with him.

HawgWyld

Quote from: hoggystyle78 on October 21, 2005, 11:36:52 am
Gee, I can't imagine any AD who would do that! ha ha

True, but Nutt and Frank are different breeds of cats. Frank is a schemer while Nutt is a goon. He wouldn't be bad as AD if he concentrated on cheerleading for the university.

Hog Bounty Hunter

This situation is comparable to Frank's a long long time ago. Frank was not the best coach in the world, but he knew where to find the best coaches so he hired them to coach his team.  Wilson Matthews was probably the greatest football coach in the history of the Razorbacks but he was an assistant and a loyal friend of Frank's.  Nutt needs to find his Wilson Matthews, if that is Gus then it would be great for a time, only thing is I don't believe Gus wants to stay an assistant.  So at some point Nutt is going to have to step aside or we will lose Gus.  All this is of course on the condition that Nutt doesn't get beat by SC in two weeks.

dirty stanchez

Cajun Hog

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 21, 2005, 12:12:22 pm
HBH, where did you see that about Tubberville?

Dirty...do you really think this would be printed in the papers?  How dumb would a coach be to do that, tell the media that I would be very interested in that job.    ::)

dirty stanchez

Quote from: Creole Hog on October 21, 2005, 12:26:30 pm

Dirty...do you really think this would be printed in the papers? How dumb would a coach be to do that, tell the media that I would be very interested in that job. ::)

I'm not necessarily asking for the paper, maybe the message board?

Cajun Hog

Quote from: dirty stanchez on October 21, 2005, 12:26:59 pm
Quote from: Creole Hog on October 21, 2005, 12:26:30 pm

Dirty...do you really think this would be printed in the papers? How dumb would a coach be to do that, tell the media that I would be very interested in that job. ::)

I'm not necessarily asking for the paper, maybe the message board?

Let's just say some people on the hill are aware of Tubby intrest if the job came open.  At a nice salary.  ;D

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 21, 2005, 11:47:08 am
Here is another idea, say Nutt loses to SC in two weeks, from what I hear if that happens nothing will save him. So then what would we do. Well say Butch Davis won't come, we would need a HC with a defensive mind so he would need a guy like Gus.
With that being said I picked this up off the rumor mill today:

"Tommy Tuberville is not only putting feelers out at Arkansas, he is also quietly checking out the situation at Texas A&M, where he was once DC. "

Now we all know that Tommy was Frank's choice back in 97, so if he has to let Nutt go would it not make sense to get Tubby? Or Butch ? I am sure that either one of them would love to have Gus along with the Springdale 4 or 5 coming along with him.

Everyone keeps saying this is absurd, but i've seen that on a couple of the football "scoop" sites as well.   Again, it would seem where there is smoke, there may be some fire. 

Another thing sticks out to me....I remember people close to Broyles saying during the LSU fiasco last year that if Nutt left, he had a big time coach ready to go.  It was also said that big time coach was NOT Butch Davis.  Could it have been Tuberville?

I know his buyout is huge.  However, I also know that Tuberville still must hold quite a bit of hostility about what happened with the Petrino fiasco.  He won't say it publically, but how in the world can he not when the school was willing to cut his throat from behind. 

Tubby is a rich man....and his contract at Arkansas would help him get richer.  Maybe he'd be willing to part with some cash for a situation with a home state school, and a chance to stick it to Auburn every year. 

Yes, it's a long shot, but it isn't completely out of the relm of possibility.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on October 21, 2005, 12:34:46 pm
Here is another idea, say Nutt loses to SC in two weeks, from what I hear if that happens nothing will save him. So then what would we do. Well say Butch Davis won't come, we would need a HC with a defensive mind so he would need a guy like Gus.

Now we all know that Tommy was Frank's choice back in 97, so if he has to let Nutt go would it not make sense to get Tubby? Or Butch ? I am sure that either one of them would love to have Gus along with the Springdale 4 or 5 coming along with him.

Everyone keeps saying this is absurd, but i've seen that on a couple of the football "scoop" sites as well. Again, it would seem where there is smoke, there may be some fire.

Another thing sticks out to me....I remember people close to Broyles saying during the LSU fiasco last year that if Nutt left, he had a big time coach ready to go. It was also said that big time coach was NOT Butch Davis. Could it have been Tuberville?

I know his buyout is huge. However, I also know that Tuberville still must hold quite a bit of hostility about what happened with the Petrino fiasco. He won't say it publically, but how in the world can he not when the school was willing to cut his throat from behind.

Tubby is a rich man....and his contract at Arkansas would help him get richer. Maybe he'd be willing to part with some cash for a situation with a home state school, and a chance to stick it to Auburn every year.

Tubby was pretty ticked when they tried to force him out a couple of years ago, I think he holds a grudge.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 21, 2005, 12:37:05 pm

Tubby was pretty ticked when they tried to force him out a couple of years ago, I think he holds a grudge.

I agree with you completely.   I think he'd like nothign better than to live out that grudge.

S.hit, he also has seen Nutt parlay seasons that almost got him fired at Auburn into raises and contract extensions.  Who the hell wouldn't want that gig........ ;D

JJHog

" Think Right, Do Right"

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: JJHog on October 21, 2005, 12:46:16 pm
Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 21, 2005, 11:57:07 amNutt needs to find his Wilson Matthews

I thought Herring was to fit that bill

I thought so also, but so far Herring has been a lot of talk and little production. 

JJHog

It's a complicated situation for sure. From what I understand Broyles and Lindsey have surveyed what's out there right now and have concluded this is not a good time to be hiring a head coach. They are hoping a better staff can turn this situation around. But this whole thing has gotten so hot politically that Nutt cannot likely survive any more losses at home this season.
It is true that they might be able to hire a coach who would take Gus on faith to get MM and possibly Damien. But there is no guarantee of that. Lindsey reportedly thinks Malzahn is the next Norm Chow. He doesn't want to lose this guy right out of the Hogs own back yard.

Then that means no Butch Davis
" Think Right, Do Right"

Hog Bounty Hunter

Mike I have to say after Frank's 5% quote I don't have much faith in his surveys.

Theolesnort

People as much as I hate to admit it Hog Bounty Hunter's point is well taken with me. My son is going to rip me for this but sometimes a well thought out measured response and  solution to a problem is much better than the dam the consequences Dr Strangelove response that could could lead to catastrophe. If some younger ones on here do not know what a DR Strangelove response is just ask around.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Chief Mac

Everyone keeps saying this is absurd, but i've seen that on a couple of the football "scoop" sites as well. Again, it would seem where there is smoke, there may be some fire.

Another thing sticks out to me....I remember people close to Broyles saying during the LSU fiasco last year that if Nutt left, he had a big time coach ready to go. It was also said that big time coach was NOT Butch Davis. Could it have been Tuberville?

I know his buyout is huge. However, I also know that Tuberville still must hold quite a bit of hostility about what happened with the Petrino fiasco. He won't say it publically, but how in the world can he not when the school was willing to cut his throat from behind.

Tubby is a rich man....and his contract at Arkansas would help him get richer. Maybe he'd be willing to part with some cash for a situation with a home state school, and a chance to stick it to Auburn every year.

It is a nice thought if he brings the right assistants with him and hires Gus.  I think he is an arrogant pompus ass, but so was Jimmy Johnson.  Both can flat-out coach.  I just want a consistent top 25 team like Auburn is now under Tubby.

WPS

Chris
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Theolesnort

Markuson is a great technique coach. People on here know how I feel about him as a coach. But he does not have any business calling plays and as to his being able to coach pass blocking yes he can. His problem is he wants to run all the time and is not willing to put the time in on the pass blocking that it deserves and even I am about fed up with the attitude.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

lumphog

Bounty Hunter I think YOU should take over as AD. You have some good ideas. I get excited when i read your posts. I just hope you`re rite about one of them. I`m with you.

lumphog

AND.... The biggest part of this puzzle is Bama is back & Auburn`s days of pushing them around are OVER. I BET HE WILL COME. ::) :P ;D

CorningHog

First of all, Tuberville is not coming to Arkansas.  I doubt that anyone with any sense can see this happening unless Tommy just feels he has to prove to everyone that HE was the right pick and not Nutt.  Either way, I am not sure that Tuberville is the best choice, but he may be and if he is, I would tolerate his arrogance and real brash attitude and style.

However, I can't see any reason to keep Houston and his staff if they can't show the fans at least one game that they are nearly equal in talent and that they win the game due to some good coaching.  Not great, but good.

I have not seen many wins like this during Nutt's tenure.  He did it in '99 at Fayetteville and nearly did it in '98 against Tennessee.  He did not do it in '03 against Auburn.  Think back to Nutt's teams and their performances as well as his gameplans and tell yourself how many times did his team and his gameplan look very well thought out and the execution and adjustments during the game match what a good team should look like?  I would think that if you are honest about it, you will notice that other than the two Texas games, he really hasn't produced much.  The wins pile up against mediocre competition but anything or any team that has a decent QB, a decent offense and defense tends to outplay his teams and the coaching and gameplans tend to leave you wondering.

This last game against Auburn is like he listened to all the fans wanting passes so he goes out and throws the ball regardless.  We should now as fans start giving orders more often since Nutt is taking his que from the call in shows and message boards.

Here is my part:

Put Winston & Hillis in the "H" back and TE roles, get these guys out there for your safety outlets but not 5 yards or 2 yards off the line of scrimmage, more like 8 to 10 yards.  Go to a 3 receiver set with a single back and the "H" back/TE on plays you wish to run and throw out of exclusively.  Go to 4 receiver sets on 1st down with a single back and on crucial passing downs.  When you want a change of pace, go two back with McFadden & Jones out of Shotgun formations and 3 receivers or 2 receivers and the "H" back/TE spots.  You would be able to disquise more passing plays and not have to rely on the "play action" pass.  Most defenses in the SEC know right now that until you do some damage in the passing game, they will take their chances shading against the run.  Watch Georgia's attack, you might learn something.  Also, Auburn's personnel and package on offense could easily be substituted with our players and run even more effectively.  How bout you Houston, read this and maybe by South Carolina we will see some of it.

Oh, running the speed reverse handoff to McFadden is not the best way to utilize his running ability.  I know it worked a few times with Hillis against Missouri State but we are in the SEC now.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

JDW

If you'll remember that last year even though we went 5-6 we seems to make good adjustsments after the half and improve off the mistakes. My memory isn't the greatest but there have been a few games, a few being the key word, that HDN called that he did out coach the other team. He's 2-1 against TX. But other than that I can't think of any more (sad). Haven't played TN close under HDN? He's 4-4 agaisnt Alabama and Auburn. 1-2 vs TN, 0-4 vs GA (I think) and 2-2 vs KY. I have pretty much been a HDN supporter and I still am, but he needs to really think about the OC situation.

JDW

Corning Hog,

I guess we're thinking about some of hte same topics.

HogsRule

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 20, 2005, 10:16:39 pm
I know, I know you are wanting to know how I, the number 1 Nutt basher in the known universe could say such a thiing.  Well I have a tidbit of information for you and here it is.   Gus may have other offers and if a new Arkansas coach was not interested in hiring him he'd be gone and Mitch and Damien would likely go with him. That is it, if we lose Nutt we may well lose Mitch.

I can't believe this is HBH. Who is this really? did someone get access to your account? This entire thread is one of the most logical I've seen as far as where do we go from here.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

HOGCATCH

Do you honestly think Frank would hire a new coach without outlining the situation with Gus? Who's to say that these recruits wouldn't be awed by the new hire?
Winning is a way of life!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: lumphog on October 21, 2005, 02:15:57 pm

Bounty Hunter I think YOU should take over as AD. You have some good ideas. I get excited when i read your posts. I just hope you`re rite about one of them. I`m with you.

I'm too much of a fly by the seat of your pants guy, I would of fired Nutt after Vandy beat us, but hey that's just me.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 11:22:28 pm
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 10:59:43 pm

I don't buy the notions

1) that the other Springdale kids will dump Florida for this
2) that a juco receiver is going to make a difference for us
3) that what's left of the coaching staff will recruit some studs for defense
4) that the recruiting class is going to be good enough, regardless of who's the coach
5) that Nutt is going to allow Malzahn to so run things that the pass protection will get fixed, which would require a dramatic reallocation of practice time
6) that Nutt is going to be able to hire good assistants for his lame duck season

This thing's already broken. How long do you want to wait till we start fixing it? Absolutely best case is we turn early-decade Texas Tech and try to outscore people. No way it happens here. We got 40 carries to get to our tailbacks. If you don't think that's going to be a problem, just wait.
Unless most of the 4th estate is wrong, no one is looking at these questions.  But you are right on target with all 6. Outside of Tuberville I have never seen a coach who is forced to  revamp his staff to save his job who did it and made it work.  It usually just results in delaying the healing process by a couple of years.