Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guys for the good of the program, we can't fire Nutt

Started by Hog Bounty Hunter, October 20, 2005, 10:16:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Bounty Hunter

I know, I know you are wanting to know how I, the number 1 Nutt basher in the known universe could say such a thiing.  Well I have a tidbit of information for you and here it is.   Gus may have other offers and if a new Arkansas coach was not interested in hiring him he'd be gone and Mitch and Damien would likely go with him. That is it, if we lose Nutt we may well lose Mitch.

WILL CLINTON

I still think I would lose Mitch and Nutt than keep nutt just to keep mitch.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

idochog

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 20, 2005, 10:16:39 pm
I know, I know you are wanting to know how I, the number 1 Nutt basher in the known universe could say such a thiing.  Well I have a tidbit of information for you and here it is.   Gus may have other offers and if a new Arkansas coach was not interested in hiring him he'd be gone and Mitch and Damien would likely go with him. That is it, if we lose Nutt we may well lose Mitch.

According to that theory, what if HDN gets fired 1 year after Malzan and Mustain get hire, couldnt they still leave?
I love Jesus!

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 10:19:14 pm
I know, I know you are wanting to know how I, the number 1 Nutt basher in the known universe could say such a thiing. Well I have a tidbit of information for you and here it is. Gus may have other offers and if a new Arkansas coach was not interested in hiring him he'd be gone and Mitch and Damien would likely go with him. That is it, if we lose Nutt we may well lose Mitch.

According to that theory, what if HDN gets fired 1 year after Malzan and Mustain get hire, couldnt they still leave?

I don't know, it's not my theory.  My thinking, and this is with no source just thinking out loud, we put up with Nutt being the HC.  He will not actually be coaching he will be a administrator kind of like Bobby Bowden or like Frank was here.  In a few years he is groomed to actually take over for Frank, and then Gus stays on as HC.  Not that I am excited about Nutt being the AD, but if it means getting a good football program why not?

idochog

I almost dont care anymore, I just want to wake up and be good again.
I love Jesus!

Feralhog

October 20, 2005, 10:28:14 pm #5 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:39:02 pm by Feralhog
There's more to Gus than the stuff being posted here.  You are right in that, as of now, Mitch is tied to Gus, AND, there's a strong likelihood that the next coach will have no choice but to hire Gus.  The only thing that might change this is IF a Whale were interested in coming, and absolutely insisted he have complete control.  If that meant not hiring Gus, the powers that be would probably weigh the options.  Bottom line is, Gus' footing is on some pretty damn solid ground right now.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 20, 2005, 10:16:39 pmI know, I know you are wanting to know how I, the number 1 Nutt basher in the known universe could say such a thiing.

mikeirwin

It's a complicated situation for sure. From what I understand Broyles and Lindsey have surveyed what's out there right now and have concluded this is not a good time to be hiring a head coach. They are hoping a better staff can turn this situation around. But this whole thing has gotten so hot politically that Nutt cannot likely survive any more losses at home this season.
It is true that they might be able to hire a coach who would take Gus on faith to get MM and possibly Damien. But there is no guarantee of that. Lindsey reportedly thinks Malzahn is the next Norm Chow. He doesn't want to lose this guy right out of the Hogs own back yard.

idochog

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 10:44:08 pm
It's a complicated situation for sure. From what I understand Broyles and Lindsey have surveyed what's out there right now and have concluded this is not a good time to be hiring a head coach. They are hoping a better staff can turn this situation around. But this whole thing has gotten so hot politically that Nutt cannot likely survive any more losses at home this season.
It is true that they might be able to hire a coach who would take Gus on faith to get MM and possibly Damien. But there is no guarantee of that. Lindsey reportedly thinks Malzahn is the next Norm Chow. He doesn't want to lose this guy right out of the Hogs own back yard.

This kinda goes against the grain here Mike.  So you are now saying Lindsey and JFB want to change the head coach but only arent considering it b/c they dont think there are decent alternatives?  Before I thought they were dead-set against hiring a new coach and were firmly in HDNs corner.
I love Jesus!

jblack19

Feralhog

Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 10:48:03 pm

This kinda goes against the grain here Mike. So you are now saying Lindsey and JFB want to change the head coach but only arent considering it b/c they dont think there are decent alternatives? Before I thought they were dead-set against hiring a new coach and were firmly in HDNs corner.

Forget about Mitch for a second. The way things stand right now, if Gus doesn't come, I feel very confident in saying certain things will happen that nobody on the BOT wants.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: hogapalooza on October 20, 2005, 10:47:44 pm
I am willing to lose both to get rid of HDN! 

I refuse to think any 1 coach, or 1 player. ( both in this case from High school ) can be given such importance.

We have No guarantee that either will be successful, but we know this coach can't be!

HDN's time is done, he has done all he can IMO.  I want both G.M and M.M to be HOGS!!  But not at the expense of keeping HDN.  Our H/C doesn't listen to any1 now, what makes you think he will listen to a Offensive Guru like Gus?  I really think G.M will bring M.M and even D.W w/ him.  WOW !!  what an impact they could have!

But if HDN is calling the shots, what a down trodden time we will continue to see as HOG fans!  If we lost G.M, M.M , ( and possibly ) D.W,  I think it is worth it, if we

FIRE HDN!!!

I have to disagree here...IF Mitch doesn't come, Gus doesn't come, AND HDN gets fired...It's gonna be at least 5 more years before this program even sniffs a decent bowl game. I think HDN can win 10 or more games next year with a complete overhaul of staff and an "understanding" that a new OC calls the shots. We still need some studs on defense, but all the tools for a succesful offense will be here next year with Mustain, Malzahn, Williams (?), Cleveland (?), Monk, and one other stud receiver (probably a JC receiver). If Houston doesn't obey that clause...let him go next year, and bring in a new HC while retaining Malzahn and MAYBE Herring if he can show any flashes of why we paid him so much money. That way all the pieces for a championship team stay in place...otherwise the wheels come completely off the bus in my opinion...I don't approve of HDN's playcalling or management of the team this year, but things just feel WRONG for a coaching change right now...we have too much to lose this year recruiting AND coaching wise if this situation plays out wrong. Let's get Mustain, Malzahn and perhaps any others associated with him (Williams and Cleveland) on board and locked in, before we go making any drastic changes.

mikeirwin

This kinda goes against the grain here Mike. So you are now saying Lindsey and JFB want to change the head coach but only arent considering it b/c they dont think there are decent alternatives? Before I thought they were dead-set against hiring a new coach and were firmly in HDNs corner.
That may be been said publicly but....
Look, LSU was a year off a national championship and had to hire a new coach. 
1. They wanted Tuberville. He said NO.
2. They wanted Petrino. He said GET LOST.
3. They looked at HDN. He said MAKE ME AN OFFER IN 24 hours. They never did.
4. They looked at Les Miles. He was willing to interview in front of their "committee." He got the job. Now they wish he hadn't.
The point is LSU didn't have a choice. Saban left.
Before he cans Nutt Broyles wants to see if he can fix the problem with a better staff and a new offensive philosophy.
He doesn't want to pull the trigger on Nutt and find himself stuck with a new face, same problems.
If there were a no brainer hire out there and Frank was certain he could get him it would be a different story.

idochog

All I can think of when you tell me HDN is gonna hire 4-6 new asst coaches:

GEORGE PUGH

Do we really trust HDN enough to hire new asst. coaches?

About the only thing we can count on from HDN is the draw play on 3rd and long.
I love Jesus!

Biggus Piggus

That's it, Mike.  They need time to do a sell job on a good candidate.  Of course, they have time.

You know what you said.  You said it's too hot politically, which is true, if Nutt keeps losing at home.  He has two more lose-able home games.  Let's not kid ourselves.  South Carolina sees us as one of their few winnables, and there's two defensive coaches over there who are dying to stick it to Nutt.  Mississippi State is allowing 3.5 yards per rush.  The way to beat them has been to throw.  And who's going to be there to watch by then?
[CENSORED]!

DOGALUM

Let's say that Lindsey DOES think that highly of Gus.   And let's say that they have had enough of Houston.   Considering the shape that the program is in right now......what, other than looking stupid to other schools, would be the downside to installing Gus as the HC?  I'm not saying it would be a good or bad move.....just asking the question.  That would go a long way toward getting Williams and Cleveland. 

Personally....I think Gus is going to make some college a winner someday.  There are those on this board who agree with me.  For those who aren't 100% sold on Gus yet.........would it not still be an improvement on what we have now?   For those who still think that Gus is an average football guy at best.....I suggest you put down the crack pipe, check into rehab, and come back when you're clean.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

mikeirwin

October 20, 2005, 11:14:35 pm #16 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:17:39 pm by mikeirwin
Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 10:59:43 pm
I have to disagree here...IF Mitch doesn't come, Gus doesn't come, AND HDN gets fired...It's gonna be at least 5 more years before this program even sniffs a decent bowl game. I think HDN can win 10 or more games next year with a complete overhaul of staff and an "understanding" that a new OC calls the shots. We still need some studs on defense, but all the tools for a succesful offense will be here next year with Mustain, Malzahn, Williams (?), Cleveland (?), Monk, and one other stud receiver (probably a JC receiver). If Houston doesn't obey that clause...let him go next year, and bring in a new HC while retaining Malzahn and MAYBE Herring if he can show any flashes of why we paid him so much money. That way all the pieces for a championship team stay in place...otherwise the wheels come completely off the bus in my opinion...I don't approve of HDN's playcalling or management of the team this year, but things just feel WRONG for a coaching change right now...we have too much to lose this year recruiting AND coaching wise if this situation plays out wrong. Let's get Mustain, Malzahn and perhaps any others associated with him (Williams and Cleveland) on board and locked in, before we go making any drastic changes.
You're gonna get blasted for that but it's a good post. I'm not sure about the 10 wins business but there is some cold logic to what you've laid out.

mikeirwin

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 20, 2005, 11:13:41 pm
Let's say that Lindsey DOES think that highly of Gus. And let's say that they have had enough of Houston. Considering the shape that the program is in right now......what, other than looking stupid to other schools, would be the downside to installing Gus as the HC? I'm not saying it would be a good or bad move.....just asking the question. That would go a long way toward getting Williams and Cleveland.

Personally....I think Gus is going to make some college a winner someday. There are those on this board who agree with me. For those who aren't 100% sold on Gus yet.........would it not still be an improvement on what we have now? For those who still think that Gus is an average football guy at best.....I suggest you put down the crack pipe, check into rehab, and come back when you're clean.
Even Gus can't be expected to pull that off in one jump. Give him  4 or 5 years to season on the college level and I'll agree with you.

lumphog

How about this? Nutt gets fired, We hire Butch, He brings Gus & MM,DW...., Butch grooms Gus for the head job, Until Parcels retires, Butch goes to Dallas as HC, Gus takes over as Hogs HC.

idochog

Noone has addressed HDN's ability to hire QUALITY asst coaches.
I love Jesus!

corndo

Switching sides Bounty Hunter???  :D

Biggus Piggus

I think HDN can win 10 or more games next year with a complete overhaul of staff and an "understanding" that a new OC calls the shots.

We still need some studs on defense, but all the tools for a succesful offense will be here next year with Mustain, Malzahn, Williams (?), Cleveland (?), Monk, and one other stud receiver (probably a JC receiver).

If Houston doesn't obey that clause...let him go next year, and bring in a new HC while retaining Malzahn and MAYBE Herring if he can show any flashes of why we paid him so much money.

That way all the pieces for a championship team stay in place...

otherwise the wheels come completely off the bus in my opinion...

we have too much to lose this year recruiting AND coaching wise if this situation plays out wrong.

I don't buy the notions

1) that the other Springdale kids will dump Florida for this
2) that a juco receiver is going to make a difference for us
3) that what's left of the coaching staff will recruit some studs for defense
4) that the recruiting class is going to be good enough, regardless of who's the coach
5) that Nutt is going to allow Malzahn to so run things that the pass protection will get fixed, which would require a dramatic reallocation of practice time
6) that Nutt is going to be able to hire good assistants for his lame duck season

This thing's already broken.  How long do you want to wait till we start fixing it?  Absolutely best case is we turn early-decade Texas Tech and try to outscore people.  No way it happens here.  We got 40 carries to get to our tailbacks.  If you don't think that's going to be a problem, just wait.
[CENSORED]!

DOGALUM

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:17:12 pm
Let's say that Lindsey DOES think that highly of Gus. And let's say that they have had enough of Houston. Considering the shape that the program is in right now......what, other than looking stupid to other schools, would be the downside to installing Gus as the HC? I'm not saying it would be a good or bad move.....just asking the question. That would go a long way toward getting Williams and Cleveland.

Personally....I think Gus is going to make some college a winner someday. There are those on this board who agree with me. For those who aren't 100% sold on Gus yet.........would it not still be an improvement on what we have now? For those who still think that Gus is an average football guy at best.....I suggest you put down the crack pipe, check into rehab, and come back when you're clean.
Even Gus can't be expected to pull that off in one jump. Give him 4 or 5 years to season on the college level and I'll agree with you.
No....I didn't intend for that post to be my plug for Gus as Head Coach.  It's a serious question.........other than "looking" bad.....what does the program stand to lose from a move like that.  There may be things that I'm not thinking about.......I'm not saying it is or isn't the right move to make, just asking what you think the downside would be....other than perception.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:14:35 pm
You're gonna get blasted for that but it's a good post. I'm not sure about the 10 wins business but there is some cold logic to what you've laid out.

When have I ever cared if I get blasted, Mike?  ;) The beauty of a message board is that we all get to put our views out there. I mean we all care deeply for the Hogs or we wouldn't be here. The only posts that truly irk me are the ones wishing for us to lose or that Mustain abandons the program so that HDN will be fired. I just don't think that's the right mentality. Our program is at a MAJOR crossroads and we can go one of two ways from here...and whether we like it or not, HDN is still in the driver's seat. We can either hope he steers us back in the right direction (wins a few more games this year, gets Malzahn and some other fresh idea people, stays on) or takes us down the path to destruction (gives up and loses every game the rest of the year, loses Malzahn and Mustain, gets canned). I choose the former...

idochog

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 11:23:44 pm

When have I ever cared if I get blasted, Mike? ;) The beauty of a message board is that we all get to put our views out there. I mean we all care deeply for the Hogs or we wouldn't be here. The only posts that truly irk me are the ones wishing for us to lose or that Mustain abandons the program so that HDN will be fired. I just don't think that's the right mentality. Our program is at a MAJOR crossroads and we can go one of two ways from here...and whether we like it or not, HDN is still in the driver's seat. We can either hope he steers us back in the right direction (wins a few more games this year, gets Malzahn and some other fresh idea people, stays on) or takes us down the path to destruction (gives up and loses every game the rest of the year, loses Malzahn and Mustain, gets canned). I choose the former...

I also see some potential STAFF chemistry problems w/ throwing Malzan into the mix w/ Markuson and/or Witke.  Im afraid that will be a problem, much like the (supposed) problem b/n Vaughn and Herring.  HDN has got way too many YES men (Allen and Markuson) and undertalented asst. coaches (Ealy and Vaughn)
I love Jesus!

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 11:22:28 pm
I think HDN can win 10 or more games next year with a complete overhaul of staff and an "understanding" that a new OC calls the shots.

We still need some studs on defense, but all the tools for a succesful offense will be here next year with Mustain, Malzahn, Williams (?), Cleveland (?), Monk, and one other stud receiver (probably a JC receiver).

If Houston doesn't obey that clause...let him go next year, and bring in a new HC while retaining Malzahn and MAYBE Herring if he can show any flashes of why we paid him so much money.

we have too much to lose this year recruiting AND coaching wise if this situation plays out wrong.

I don't buy the notions

4) that the recruiting class is going to be good enough, regardless of who's the coach
5) that Nutt is going to allow Malzahn to so run things that the pass protection will get fixed, which would require a dramatic reallocation of practice time
6) that Nutt is going to be able to hire good assistants for his lame duck season

This thing's already broken. How long do you want to wait till we start fixing it? Absolutely best case is we turn early-decade Texas Tech and try to outscore people. No way it happens here. We got 40 carries to get to our tailbacks. If you don't think that's going to be a problem, just wait.

1) I do believe they would dump Florida for us...what in the Hizzell has Urban Meyer done to impress you?? I'm no more impressed with his offense than HDN's. Malzahn is the key here.
2) Devin Thomas and Cedric Houston...look them up on Rivals.
3) Deantwan Whitehead is scheduled for an official visit already, Freddie Barnett is coming in, Van Stumon is a Hog I think regardless of staff, we have many young guys who are learning Herring's system that will be RS Frosh's next year (if we don't burn the shirts). We are also in on some dandy JUCO prospects (as in JC All-American) that list us as their leader.
4) See above, plus Mitch Mustain, add Damian Williams or Ben Cleveland..more depth coming in on the O-line, etc...it still has the chance to be a "gap filling" class. I will agree it won't get anywhere near a top 10 class or anything, but we stand a chance to fill some holes.
5) See my post above...get Malzahn and Mitch in here and if HDN doesn't go along with the plan...fire his arse. Retain Malzahn as a condition on the new coach...which shouldn't be a problem. He's a great football mind and any coach worth a hill of beans will see this.
6) I doubt the assisstant hiring will be done solely by Nutt. I see the BOT having quite a bit of say in things this year. I could be way off base, but I think they already know who they want and it's going to get done regardless of what Houston wants. It's simple really..."You don't like the moves we make, leave. Accept them, and keep your job..." What other position does he have??!?!

idochog

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 11:33:05 pm

I don't buy the notions

This thing's already broken. How long do you want to wait till we start fixing it? Absolutely best case is we turn early-decade Texas Tech and try to outscore people. No way it happens here. We got 40 carries to get to our tailbacks. If you don't think that's going to be a problem, just wait.

1) I do believe they would dump Florida for us...what in the Hizzell has Urban Meyer done to impress you?? I'm no more impressed with his offense than HDN's. Malzahn is the key here.
3) Deantwan Whitehead is scheduled for an official visit already, Freddie Barnett is coming in, Van Stumon is a Hog I think regardless of staff, we have many young guys who are learning Herring's system that will be RS Frosh's next year (if we don't burn the shirts). We are also in on some dandy JUCO prospects (as in JC All-American) that list us as their leader.
4) See above, plus Mitch Mustain, add Damian Williams or Ben Cleveland..more depth coming in on the O-line, etc...it still has the chance to be a "gap filling" class. I will agree it won't get anywhere near a top 10 class or anything, but we stand a chance to fill some holes.
5) See my post above...get Malzahn and Mitch in here and if HDN doesn't go along with the plan...fire his arse. Retain Malzahn as a condition on the new coach...which shouldn't be a problem. He's a great football mind and any coach worth a hill of beans will see this.
6) I doubt the assisstant hiring will be done solely by Nutt. I see the BOT having quite a bit of say in things this year. I could be way off base, but I think they already know who they want and it's going to get done regardless of what Houston wants. It's simple really..."You don't like the moves we make, leave. Accept them, and keep your job..." What other position does he have??!?!

Honestly it seems easier just to put up about 4 million per year to hire the biggest bad arse coach we can get.  Im sure he would take Mahlzan to get the #1 QB in the nation.  A coach you would want to pay that kind of $$ isnt stupid.
I love Jesus!

DisplacedHogFan

Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 11:27:56 pm

When have I ever cared if I get blasted, Mike? ;) The beauty of a message board is that we all get to put our views out there. I mean we all care deeply for the Hogs or we wouldn't be here. The only posts that truly irk me are the ones wishing for us to lose or that Mustain abandons the program so that HDN will be fired. I just don't think that's the right mentality. Our program is at a MAJOR crossroads and we can go one of two ways from here...and whether we like it or not, HDN is still in the driver's seat. We can either hope he steers us back in the right direction (wins a few more games this year, gets Malzahn and some other fresh idea people, stays on) or takes us down the path to destruction (gives up and loses every game the rest of the year, loses Malzahn and Mustain, gets canned). I choose the former...

I also see some potential STAFF chemistry problems w/ throwing Malzan into the mix w/ Markuson and/or Witke. Im afraid that will be a problem, much like the (supposed) problem b/n Vaughn and Herring. HDN has got way too many YES men (Allen and Markuson) and undertalented asst. coaches (Ealy and Vaughn)

Here's who I think will be gone:

1) Ealy
2) Allen
3) Vaughn
4) Wittke

-maybe- (and I'm gonna get blasted for this)

5) Rocker

There could be more, but I see 3 to 5 assts gone for sure. I think everyone will be gone if we lose out the rest of the season and Arkansas enters football purgatory. If anyone gives the investigaion any credibility...just watch what having a 2 and 9 season and wholesale changes on the coaching staff does to this program. It won't be pretty....

Porky Pig

Quote from: DOGALUM on October 20, 2005, 11:22:48 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:17:12 pm

Even Gus can't be expected to pull that off in one jump. Give him 4 or 5 years to season on the college level and I'll agree with you.
No....I didn't intend for that post to be my plug for Gus as Head Coach. It's a serious question.........other than "looking" bad.....what does the program stand to lose from a move like that. There may be things that I'm not thinking about.......I'm not saying it is or isn't the right move to make, just asking what you think the downside would be....other than perception.

The downside is that's like throwing in a freshman QB and thinking that he's gonna just tear up these SEC defenses loaded with fourth year juniors and fifth yr seniors. Mitch will be good but not great next year and will take some tremendous licks next year with new blitzes, etc. he hasn't seen yet. And Gus would be in way, way, way over his head running a college program coming directly from high school. You all might hate Nutt's guts but at least he had a lot of time to learn the college game before he became the head man in Fayetteville.  Let Gus coach an offensive position and learn the ropes and have a strong input on pass plays and and the offensive scheme.

Porky Pig

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 11:33:05 pm

I don't buy the notions

Displaced Hog, I really like your posts that I've read tonight. I thing there's nothing in them that I don't agree with. Good stuff.

riccoar

Nutt has lasted this long because he visits and confides in Broyles, regularly.  Its been stated many times about Broyles 'involvement' in coaching football as the AD.  See Ken Hatfield.  Regardless of how the season turns out, I see a meeting at the end of the year in which JFB lays out the stipulations or what he would like to see happen.  That translates the same way it did to Heath after the BB season, "If you would like to keep your job, you might strongly consider these moves."  Things seem to be indeed getting hot, but if Broyles is satisfied that Nutt will do whats needed in the off season, he can persuade the big money contributors that all is well.  Make no mistake, unless your writing six and seven figure checks to the Foundation, your opinion doesn't count for much on the Hill. 

Foots

Quote from: DisplacedHogFan on October 20, 2005, 11:41:58 pm

5) Rocker

I'm not gonna blast you. I don't think Rocker is that great an assistant anyway. We have never had a good d-line since Rocker has been there.

Jim Harris

Quote from: riccoar on October 21, 2005, 01:12:13 am
Nutt has lasted this long because he visits and confides in Broyles, regularly.

Jack Crowe visited and confided in Broyles regularly too. Didn't save him. Nutt must bring something else to the table that Broyles likes besides regular chitchats.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Sound the Horns

I would take Butch over Gus and Mitch any day. Lets see,  a National Championship at Miami or a State champion from Springdale. Its pretty simple.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: Foots on October 21, 2005, 01:54:27 am

5) Rocker

I'm not gonna blast you. I don't think Rocker is that great an assistant anyway. We have never had a good d-line since Rocker has been there.

If Rocker was any good he would of been snatched up by the NFL by now with their quotas.  He must suck.

pigfoot

IMO, the wheels are already off the bus -- big time.  And I wonder if Malzahn is the answer to getting them put back on.  In fact, I wonder if Malzahn might be the fly in the ointment that keeps the bus grounded.  I don't care who we have coming back, what recruits have committed, what assistants may leave, or what the chances are of getting Gus.  IF, any or all of them mean keeping HDN around for another year, I believe it would be a mistake.  Big time coaches usually get to be big time because they are able to put together their own staffs -- especially to choose their own offensive and defensive specialists -- and more often than not, they come as a package.  If prospective head coaches know that accepting an OC who's stepping straight from the high school ranks is a requirement, how many will take themselves out of consideration?   I don't know the answer, but I believe the risk is there.  And I believe the Urban Meyer experience in Florida exposes that risk.  Here was one of the hottest head coaches in the country with considerable head coaching experience going to a talent-laden program and bringing an offensive scheme that had blown teams away in his former conference.  It may work that way someday at Florida, but it surely isn't working that way now.
If I'm a sought-after head coaching prospect looking at UA and expected to turn a floundering program around but forced to do it with an offense unproven at any college level, I would probably think twice.  I'll admit that Gus, Mitch, and company would be great to have.  But at what cost?? 
"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

redsnapper

There is no way a legitimate SEC team would risk its entire multi-million dollar program on a high school senior. Mitch is an incredible QB, perhaps the best in the country, but something might happen,injury/personal to unfortunately preventhim from living what has become a dream of thousands of fans. However, to maintain the present is unacceptable.
And NOTHING has occurred that would indicate HN has earned the AD position.

Boner

Quote from: opineonswine on October 21, 2005, 08:27:50 am
Quote from: lumphog on October 20, 2005, 11:17:38 pm
How about this? Nutt gets fired, We hire Butch, He brings Gus & MM,DW...., Butch grooms Gus for the head job, Until Parcels retires, Butch goes to Dallas as HC, Gus takes over as Hogs HC.

BINGO

WE HAVE A WINNER. In my humble opinion, this would be nirvana. I would bet a huge amount of money that if Gus were the head coach RIGHT NOW we would have a better record. He's going to be there one day. I would LOVE your scenario to play out, but I don't give it much chance UNLESS Nutt loses the two home games left.

The only problem with that is Parcells is retiring after next year no matter what, and maybe as soon as this year.

And if this thread has done anything for me, its told me that Butch Davis is NOT coming.  Depressing thought, but that certainly is the jist I get ffrom Mike Irwin's posts.

PorkRyan

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 11:05:30 pm

4. They looked at Les Miles. He was willing to interview in front of their "committee." He got the job. Now they wish he hadn't.
Before he cans Nutt Broyles wants to see if he can fix the problem with a better staff and a new offensive philosophy.
He doesn't want to pull the trigger on Nutt and find himself stuck with a new face, same problems.
If there were a no brainer hire out there and Frank was certain he could get him it would be a different story.

Your info on Petrino is dead wrong.  LSU told Petrino to get lost.

GorillaJMonsoon

I agree with Bounty Hunter.  I think firing Nutt now would do more damage and create more chaos than it would be worth right now.  I say lets get Gus and MM (and whoever else decide to come DW, BC?) on board and see how things work next season with a real QB and some fresh ideas on offense.  It has been said by those who know that Broyles told nutt to call it conservative unless he ahd a good QB who could throw.  You can blame Nutt for not having requited that QB, but with MM I think you will see the playbook open to pages that havent seen the light of day in years.  With a couple of badass RB's like we have, adding a QB that can get the ball to our WR's will totally change the face of our offense and take some pressure off the defense while Herring rebuilds.  I think by looking at Florida and LSU and the regret there over their new coaches, you can see that other than Butch, I can't think of anyone else that I'd want here right now.  But that my personal opinion and isn't necessarily correct.  I have never really wanted Nutt fired, but I did want some pressure on him to change things.  Maybe Broyles is pressuring Nutt to call plays like he has been, maybe it would be different without Broyles, I don't know. Maybe it will be different with a different QB, I hope so.

Turnberry

October 21, 2005, 09:19:23 am #40 Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 09:25:54 am by Turnberry
Quote from: PorkRyan on October 21, 2005, 08:56:15 am

Your info on Petrino is dead wrong. LSU told Petrino to get lost.

LSU interviewed Petrino and wanted him; however, it's widely known he made ridiculous demands. Skip didn't like that.  The result, LSU looked elsewhere & Petrino stayed at Louisville.

aka PlanoHog

sooie dog

I say we scrap all this BS.  Go get Chow and let him do whatever he wants.  I'm leery of a high school coach coming into this situation. Myer is having problems at FL and Utah ain't no high school.  It's a big change from coaching against Lunny when you have Spurrier or Phil on the other sideline.  I don't have any faith in this plan.

redsnapper

Mike,
Who was the last major conference head coach who replaced the majority of his staff after two losing seasins? There are probably many examples, but I can't recall them. Also, I believe it is regretable that all the blame is going to the assistants & worst of all, specific players. Someone at the top, FB or HN needs to say " we are disappointed in the results these past two years and WE assume the blame."  So far I have only heard " stop bothering us with this, we TOLD you so."

mikeirwin

LSU beat reporters gave me that info.
They said Petrino was contracted while he was preparing Louisville for a bowl game. The LSU people wanted to gauge his interest. He basically said, Leave me alone. I'm busy. They were offended by his attitude and never contacted him again. If that's them telling him to get lost you have a different way of looking at it than I do.
The LSU beat reporters told me it was apparent that Petrino had little or no interest in the LSU job.
Also unless you were part of the LSU search committee that talked to Petrino I will choose to accept what the LSU beat reporters told me. Most reporters who cover a football team have pretty good sources. If they don't they don't keep their jobs very long.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 11:27:56 pm

I also see some potential STAFF chemistry problems w/ throwing Malzan into the mix w/ Markuson and/or Witke. Im afraid that will be a problem, much like the (supposed) problem b/n Vaughn and Herring. HDN has got way too many YES men (Allen and Markuson) and undertalented asst. coaches (Ealy and Vaughn)

Here's who I think will be gone:

1) Ealy
2) Allen
3) Vaughn
4) Wittke

5) Rocker

There could be more, but I see 3 to 5 assts gone for sure. I think everyone will be gone if we lose out the rest of the season and Arkansas enters football purgatory. If anyone gives the investigation any credibility...just watch what having a 2 and 9 season and wholesale changes on the coaching staff does to this program. It won't be pretty....

Bounty has nailed this one 100%.

Here's the changes coming in my view/souces.
1) Ealy
2) Allen
3) Vaughn
4) Markuson
5) D. Nutt - Retires - Becomes DFO
6) Wittke - (If Markuson Stays or Can't handle Gus new title)

The GA and RH right hand man, will take over Safeties.

mikeirwin

Quote from: redsnapper on October 21, 2005, 09:23:59 am
Mike,
Who was the last major conference head coach who replaced the majority of his staff after two losing seasins? There are probably many examples, but I can't recall them. Also, I believe it is regretable that all the blame is going to the assistants & worst of all, specific players. Someone at the top, FB or HN needs to say " we are disappointed in the results these past two years and WE assume the blame." So far I have only heard " stop bothering us with this, we TOLD you so."
Tuberville made some changes and came out of it looking real good. It's not clear how many of Nutt's assistants will be asked to leave. I agree that massive changes might cause a problem. Specifically recruiting could be affected. Markuson for instance is about to close the deal on a good juco D-back. Do you run him off and risk losing a good player ?
It could be that the staff changes are spread out over a two year period.
Guys, there's not one voice saying this or that is going to happen. Most of us are using a variety of sources and they don't always tell the same story. At this point you do your best to piece things together and try to come up with a scenario that you believe to be logical.
No question it's a puzzle and guys like me are looking for the missing pieces so we can see the real picture.

Razorback Jedi

This thread has given me the first feelings of hope in a long time. Seems like more is going on at the Hill than us fans know about.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 21, 2005, 09:30:02 am

They said Petrino was contracted while he was preparing Louisville for a bowl game. The LSU people wanted to gauge his interest. He basically said, Leave me alone. I'm busy. They were offended by his attitude and never contacted him again. If that's them telling him to get lost you have a different way of looking at it than I do.
The LSU beat reporters told me it was apparent that Petrino had little or no interest in the LSU job.
Also unless you were part of the LSU search committee that talked to Petrino I will choose to accept what the LSU beat reporters told me. Most reporters who cover a football team have pretty good sources. If they don't they don't keep their jobs very long.

There is an old saying, "You better look before you leap."

There are people on these boards who are so blinded by their hatred for Nutt, they just want him gone and damn the consequences.  They aren't looking at what happens next.

There have been those of us who have asked, "If you fire HDN, who do you get?"  The  response is generally something like, "We are ARKANSAS!  We have a great tradition! OU got Bob Stoops.  USC went out and got Pete Carroll.  We can to.  Let's go get Stoops or Carroll.  How about Norm Chow? How about Bill Parcells?  We are ARKANSAS, damn it!  I know I am exaggerating.

Some of us have pointed out that after Spurrier left UF, the Gators were turned down by the likes of Stoops, and their search drug on and on, so they settled for Zook.  Now he's gone, and they have the "golden boy", Urban Myer.  Now some are scratching their heads about him.

Nebraska, a tradition program fired Solich after a 9-win season, and had trouble finding a replacement.  Callahan's group is having a good season this year, but the jury is still out on him. 

ND, had trouble finding a replacement. Yes they now have Weiss, but let's face it, do you think Weiss would have come to Arkansas had there been an opening?

You pointed out how much LSU had, and they "settled" for Les Miles.

For many folks however, it seems their motto is "anybody but Nutt", whether we are better off or not.

Of course the refrain will come, "but we shouldn't just accept mediocrity!  We shouldn't be afraid to try anyone and everyone until we hit the jackpot."

And now back to the real world.

Thanks Mike for sharing LSU's beat writer's story.  It does give a realistic perspective.

Cajun Hog

This kinda goes against the grain here Mike. So you are now saying Lindsey and JFB want to change the head coach but only arent considering it b/c they don't think there are decent alternatives? Before I thought they were dead-set against hiring a new coach and were firmly in HDNs corner.

Mike the your info is correct and having dealing with LSU Sports Dept. it was told to me the same way, Petrino told LSU to get lost.

The biggest problem for this program is none other then JERRY JONES. 

Here the reason.
1) Hires David Lee (who worked with Mitch and help develop his mechanics.)
2) Hires our best D-line in years coach in Kacey Rogers.

With Friends like this who needs enemies.....

PorkRyan

Petrino was more than just contacted, he was interviewed.  That is the point where LSU decided they didn't want him.  If he was so busy why did he interview?  Tuberville was not their number one choice, Butch Davis was.