Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

should danny nutt be asked to leave

Started by kremlinhog, October 20, 2005, 10:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kremlinhog

i dont really have an opinion of him, our rbs look good but on the other hand someone couldnt figure out who to play vs vandy and what are the odds that he is the best rb coach we could have found in the last 8 years.

however, i think its unfair that the only coaches we hear may have to leave never have the last name of nutt.

its ludicrous to even think about keeping houston but looks like thats gonna happen and some assistants will be thrown overboard.

i gaurantee houston will make them walk the plank to save his hide,  but i think things would be alot different if brother werent always protected.

obviously the powers that be aint gonna make houston feel any pain, as asking danny to go also.

V B Porkers

I don't think he should be asked to leave, I think he should be told to get some gone

idochog

Assistants that SHOULD GO:

Ealy
Allen
Vaughn
Markuson
Decker

Debatable asst coaches:

DNutt
Shibest
possibly rocker
I love Jesus!

WILL CLINTON

danny cant overrulle HDN when it comes to who plays.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

kremlinhog

i dont think anyone really knows who decided that mcf and jones would not play against vandy,
doesnt really matter, it was a laughable, candid camera mistake

e_dub

Quote from: idochog on October 20, 2005, 10:09:50 pm

Ealy
Allen
Vaughn
Markuson
Decker

Debatable asst coaches:

DNutt
Shibest
possibly rocker

I would bet that rocker leaves on his own accord, probably to the NFL

HawgAlude

Guys if danny nutt leaves so will houston that is the way it is ....

corndo

Ealy
Allen
Vaughn
Markuson
Decker

Debatable asst coaches:

DNutt
Shibest
possibly rocker

Why Markuson? Talk about a guy that does more with less. Pass blocking could be better, but the patch work that that guy does is impressive, IMO.

bigt54

One question,
Have there been any RB that have showed vast improvement from their Freshman year to their senior year that cannot be atributed to getting more carries?
I may be wrong but I cannot think of any. 
I know some have had injuries but not all.
I think Danny Nutt is probably a great guy but I think he should be one of the first to go.  I really don't think he will go because of obvious reasons, unless Nutt gets trumped.  Maybe we will get lucky and he will be reassigned
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

Porky Pig

Uhhhhhh, let's see here. The best position on offense or defense for the Hogs is RUNNING BACK. Danny coaches RUNNING BACKS. DHoward played good enough for the Hogs to win the Vandy game. I still blame that game on the refs and Arkansas' DBacks.

kremlinhog

well we have hit rock bottom when the refs are one of the reasons we lost to vandy,
but my favorite all time exucse is we lose cause "everybody gets up for arkansas"

Flatline

If Houston Nutt does not get fired this  year several assistants will be fired and Danny Nutt will be given an administrative job with the Athletic Dept.  Now you know.

hoggystyle78

I agree Corndo I feel like that out of all the assistants we have now it seems like Maruson does a pretty decent job with the talent at hand, and it also seems like I hear his name mentioned by recruits quite often, just my opinion.
Quote from: corndo on October 20, 2005, 11:39:04 pm

Ealy
Allen
Vaughn
Markuson
Decker

Debatable asst coaches:

DNutt
Shibest
possibly rocker

Why Markuson? Talk about a guy that does more with less. Pass blocking could be better, but the patch work that that guy does is impressive, IMO.

CorningHog

I will put my 2 cents in.

I can't see where Markuson is so protectable.  His guys have decent fundamentals at times, and Mike works hard himself.  But his guys don't play until the whistle is blown.  They aren't looking for another body to hit if their guy is out of the play.  I like it when you see an OL just take and whip his guy and pancake, then look for someone on the play side to hit downfield on a running play or on a pass play, they protect their QB during the whole play, shoving their guy or the next way away from the QB.  You see this on LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, but rarely on an Arkansas squad.  Yes, Markuson teaches zone blocking, and his guys hit the two or three step push to create an opening.  They usually hit down or slide block to their inside or outside hitting a guys shoulder and not the guy directly over them.  To me this is not true blocking, this is hoping that you can hit the gap on defense and guess right.  I personally think Markuson could be one of the reasons we are failing on offense.

Danny Nutt ?  Don't really know.  He seems to coach well.  Don't know about recruiting ability.  Decision making in the Vandy game was terrible and showed me that if you won't put your best on the field, then you need to get out of coaching.

Bobby Allen ?  Seems to be shoved around from position to position, not sure where his coaching strengths are, heard he is a good recruiter, but who really knows since we don't see the results of who they were recruiting and who signed, who stayed, etc.

Ealy, probably gone, where are our TE's?  Probably Nutt's fault and the other offensive coaches that determine plays being called.

Shibest, I question this one.  He seems to be the best recruiter as far as signing guys, but does he see real talent in the receiver's ability and in who he goes after?  Surely he is a good teacher, he was an excellent receiver.  Not sure on Shibest

Vaughn, probably needs to be let go, but I again am not sure if he is the result of the coaches he has to work with being poor recruiters or if he is over his head.  Seems to care and work hard from my limited view.

Rocker, stays.  He has not had any real talent to work with but got a lot out of the last few players he had.  Seems to have KJ working well and Harrison is out of position in my book, or needs another year to be a solid SEC DT.

Herring, stays.  He can get it done from where i sit.  The defense has improved but the depth and the minutes they are playing is hideous.  Our offense can't do much more than 3 and out and that will kill any decent defense in the SEC, no matter how good you are.

Roy Wittke, could stay, but is probably gone on to bigger and better things.  He has a son at Fayetteville, I think, so maybe Houston salvages him.

Looks like, Vaughn, Ealy, Allen, & possibly Shibest get the axe.  But it is more likely that Nutt stands his ground and only gets rid of one, which in that case is probably Shibest.  Don't know why, but it just seems like that.  Could be Vaughn, since that would say he was young and we tried to get him started in his career. 

Again, this is all just from a bird's eye view from the stands and what little we as fans can see from the games.  It is all speculation and in the end if we lose out then they will all be looking for work.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Jim Harris

Quote from: kremlinhog on October 20, 2005, 10:06:55 pm
i dont really have an opinion of him, our rbs look good but on the other hand someone couldnt figure out who to play vs vandy and what are the odds that he is the best rb coach we could have found in the last 8 years.

however, i think its unfair that the only coaches we hear may have to leave never have the last name of nutt.

its ludicrous to even think about keeping houston but looks like thats gonna happen and some assistants will be thrown overboard.

i gaurantee houston will make them walk the plank to save his hide, but i think things would be alot different if brother werent always protected.

obviously the powers that be aint gonna make houston feel any pain, as asking danny to go also.

If Houston Nutt used his connections with Wallace Fowler to keep brother Dickey coaching at A-State even though 95 percent of the Tribe fan base and the AD wanted him gone, I can assure you Danny Nutt is safe forever as long as HDN is coach. Which, yes, sucks.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

WilsonHog

Quote from: drakehog on October 21, 2005, 11:53:17 am
If Houston Nutt used his connections with Wallace Fowler to keep brother Dickey coaching at A-State even though 95 percent of the Tribe fan base and the AD wanted him gone, I can assure you Danny Nutt is safe forever as long as HDN is coach. Which, yes, sucks.

If you want to see ASU fans go absolutely ballistic, trot that fact out there.

dotnet

I haven't thought very highly of Danny Nutt, but our RB's have always been one of the best positions on our team. Cobbs was injured half his time here, but he appeared to be better as a senior than he was when a freshman.  FT improved when he got on campus.  And even though no one wants to see him play, Howard has been a lot better this year than he has been in any previous year.  The only player that you could say hasn't gotten better under little Nutt is Birmingham, and he was only a running back for a year and a half. 

And of course there is that whole thing that our RB's don't turn the ball over much at all.  Felix Jones has improved in that area in just the few months that he has been on campus.  I don't know about recruiting, but maybe we should want to keep our little Nutt.

JJHog

Why D Nutt?

We always have great RBs that don't fumble
" Think Right, Do Right"

kremlinhog

yes thats true, point i was trying to make is why hdn should not feel some pain in the slaughter of assistants.
easy to throw others overboard but maybe not your brother. just wonder why danny does not aspire to
be anything other than under his brothers wing.

of course this fish has rotted at the head, we may not have great assistants but they are going to pay for hitching
their wagon to this loser.

DevilHog

I have heard that Danny IS taking a job somewhere else in the AD office. This is the spot that Gus takes. Time will tell, but that is what I have heard. Now, more offensive staff changes could put Gus in a different role, but when I heard he was coming, I heard he was taking Danny's spot.