Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

October 20 1979 Arkansas 17 Texas 14 at War Memorial...

Started by madxbayhog, October 20, 2005, 05:10:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

madxbayhog

what a day, what a crowd, what a game. And here we are on Oct 20 2005 and the only discussion on this board revolves around whether we should fire HDN or not. How times have changed!!!!

kremlinhog

i was there, great game, texas reciever dropped the winning td pass, he was wide open late in the game.

artyhog

I did not get to see the game.  I was stationed in Japan.  I only go teh scores for the games during that time. 

PintailKiller

The Texas receiver dropped a game winning catch in the Hatfield era - I think. Seems the UT kicker did miss a long fg attempt at the end of the game.
I remember going outside and listening to all the cars honking and carrying on after that one.  All of Helena poured into the streets I think.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

madxbayhog

Lawrence Sampleton was the TE the pass was intended.  Then the kicker missed the field goal and War Memorial went into orbit

corndo

We probably would be happy about the win but still pissed b/c Texas, for the most part, had our number most years.

rricha

I CAN'T REMEMBER I WAS JUST A FRESHMAN THINGS WERE HAPPENING SO FAST

idochog

I was a young kid, but I do remember the crowed being loud real loud during that game. 
I love Jesus!

kremlinhog

thanks madx i was beginning to doubt myself and i think you  are right about the tight ends name

rricha

Quote from: kremlinhog on October 20, 2005, 09:30:00 pm
thanks madx i was beginning to doubt myself and i think you are right about the tight ends name
Lawrence Sampleton played in the 1979 game and was drafted in 1981 or 82.  Remember Kenneth Sims.

kremlinhog

dont recall his name, what position did he play. who was qb for the hogs in that game

Biggus Piggus

Lawrence Sampleton was a man, just like that post player the Longhorns had at the same time.  Who was that guy?  Lasalle Thompson.  Amazing shoulders.  Just amazing.
[CENSORED]!

rricha

Kevin Scalon was the starting quaterback with Roland Sales and Gary Anderson at the Runnigback spots. Bobby Duckworth and Robert Farrell and Gary Stigers were the receivers.  George Stewart and Chuck Herman guards,  Greg Kolends and Phillip Moon tackles, Mike Burlinggame was the center.  Sims was this huge defensive tackle I think he was a soph that year and did not play much. He was the number 1 over all draft pick in the 1982 draft by New England.  Played about 3 years.

Biggus Piggus

Kenneth Sims, one of the alltime big busts, back when the Patriots became famous for drafting busts.  There's some hope that a good coach can turn around a longtime screwup program.
[CENSORED]!

idochog

One thing I remember about that game is the fluke TD pass that Texas caught after it bounced off of like 2 of our guys.
I love Jesus!