Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the Bledsoe-Harrell story as told to me

Started by Jim Harris, October 20, 2005, 03:06:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jblack19

Quote from: drakehog on October 21, 2005, 11:20:20 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 11:28:32 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 10:10:29 pm
I've not been to the recruiting board in awhile either. To be honest, I'm not a recruiting wonk like Biggus and Drake. I know enough to understand that we are not close to filling the class. I know Myron McKinney and Blaine Hainebach, Rudy Harrell, a quartet of players from Shreveport Evangel, Seth Oxner, Logan Zabel, Eric Shaffer, were at the game Saturday along with Brown. I know that if they could, the coaches wouldn't turn away too many on that list.

I'm sorry they were there to see that. We should bring in our football recruits to watch basketball games.

Two recruits who were being shown around by one of the veteran Razorback Belles, the Razorback Belle that's kinda like the one they consider the best to take recruits on visits, came back from the weekend and reported that the two she showed around (Brown and Coppage perhaps?) were the worst two people she'd ever been around in her recruiting career.
In what sense were they the worst?

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Razorod on October 21, 2005, 11:10:03 am
but BP has made several posts examining the last five or six recruiting classes and listing all the "busts." Plus, there D'nerian Wrighter, Matt Gilbow and others who are no longer with the team and probably a few others who may not be with the team after the season is over (see Fred Bledsoe).There's three off the top of my head.

Thanks for the feedback Rod.  I certainly am not an expert on recruiting, and BP may be totally accurate on this matter.  I was going off information I had read awhile back which said we would only have about 13 -15 slots open.  Based upon that, we would be half way there if the 7 commitments we have go ahead and sign.  Apparently, we may have a lot more slots open.

That said, my major beef with BP at this point is the unneccessary insults and namecalling, plus taking things out of context and reading things into my posts which are not there.  As I have stated before, we should be able to discuss our disagreements in a civil manner.  When I offer my opinions here, it is as a fan, not an expert.  If I am wrong on something, I'm wrong.  It's no big deal for me to admit that, but I don't have to be called derogatory names to get me to admit it.

hogsanity

Bledsoe would have been booted so far down the depth chart he couldnt see the intermural field if he wasnt from Central.  Not becuase HDn went there, but because our coaches are held hostage by a few HS coaches who say treat our players special or we will tell them to go elsewhere.  You think not, look at Warren.  There coach got po'd and now if they have any good layers they end up in UT orange.

It is amazing the # of in state guys we sign who just dont pan out either because of grades or poor work ethic
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim Harris

Quote from: jblack19 on October 21, 2005, 01:50:39 pm
Quote from: drakehog on October 21, 2005, 11:20:20 am
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 11:28:32 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 10:10:29 pm
I've not been to the recruiting board in awhile either. To be honest, I'm not a recruiting wonk like Biggus and Drake. I know enough to understand that we are not close to filling the class. I know Myron McKinney and Blaine Hainebach, Rudy Harrell, a quartet of players from Shreveport Evangel, Seth Oxner, Logan Zabel, Eric Shaffer, were at the game Saturday along with Brown. I know that if they could, the coaches wouldn't turn away too many on that list.

I'm sorry they were there to see that. We should bring in our football recruits to watch basketball games.

Two recruits who were being shown around by one of the veteran Razorback Belles, the Razorback Belle that's kinda like the one they consider the best to take recruits on visits, came back from the weekend and reported that the two she showed around (Brown and Coppage perhaps?) were the worst two people she'd ever been around in her recruiting career.
In what sense were they the worst?

I think she was saying the way they acted up idiotically on their visit.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2005, 03:09:21 pm
Bledsoe would have been booted so far down the depth chart he couldnt see the intermural field if he wasnt from Central. Not becuase HDn went there, but because our coaches are held hostage by a few HS coaches who say treat our players special or we will tell them to go elsewhere. You think not, look at Warren. There coach got po'd and now if they have any good layers they end up in UT orange.

It is amazing the # of in state guys we sign who just dont pan out either because of grades or poor work ethic

I wonder how Lou Holtz would have handled Bledsoe?

Oklahawg

HDN has to tread a fine line with his roster management. He can only bring in 25 in one year. An aggressive turnover in the staff will make bringing in over 20 meaningful players difficult, regardless of how great the new coaches are. If he runs off a half dozen he leaves blanks in the 85-man roster. That's part of why we are where we are--dead space, totally unnecessary dead space. HDN sees Bledsoe and Harrell as salvageable. His buddy Markuson took one for the team by accepting these guys on the OL depth chart.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Jim Harris

Quote from: Wake Up the Echoes on October 21, 2005, 03:52:14 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2005, 03:09:21 pm
Bledsoe would have been booted so far down the depth chart he couldnt see the intermural field if he wasnt from Central. Not becuase HDn went there, but because our coaches are held hostage by a few HS coaches who say treat our players special or we will tell them to go elsewhere. You think not, look at Warren. There coach got po'd and now if they have any good layers they end up in UT orange.

I wonder how Lou Holtz would have handled Bledsoe?

He'd have blistered his ass early and often. Bledsoe probably wouldn't have  signed with Holtz to begin with. He'd already know early on that Holtz would be very demanding. See, that's why we need Nutt is our coach. He gets the Bledsoes.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

orgkeith

We could boot more than half the kids on our roster and never miss them IF we could actually sign some REAL players to take their places.  Unfortunately they woud just be replaced by younger versions of themselves.  Out of the first seven kids we offered instate we have already lost four of them.  That is horrible for us, and a trend that started four years a go and is getting worse.