Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the Bledsoe-Harrell story as told to me

Started by Jim Harris, October 20, 2005, 03:06:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Yesterday before practice, there was a coaches meeting in which Bledsoe and Harrell were discussed, but mainly Bledsoe was discussed. Rocker said he had had all he could stand, and he insisted that morale on the defense would be kaput if he kept rotating Bledsoe in because of his work habits (which are awful, not only in the eyes of the coaches but the rest of the players). Supposedly, he can't finish a practice without either being sick or having a headache and refuses most times to run, and he loafs a lot throughout the workouts, as we all have heard. It was said that any other guy (not from Central) would have been run off long before now, but not Bledsoe.
Nutt talked about moving him to tight end, since Bledsoe played tight end at Central and actually caught some passes, and he has shown good feet. Ealy supposedly said "no way, I'm not taking him."
So, the coaches all agreed just to move Bledsoe down with Harrell on the scout team. Harrell just hasn't been the same this year as he was when he arrived. Hard to figure why. The assistant coaches thought all was done then and the meeting adjourned.
Then, after practice, everybody's stunned when Houston Nutt tells the media that Bledsoe and Harrell will go to the offensive line. Now, maybe Nutt and Markuson had a private meeting on their own after the coaches' regular meeting, but there wasn't a lot of time for that. Anyway, apparently Nutt just decided all this on his own, without input from the staff.

By the way, unless he's hurt today or tomorow working out, Robert Johnson will start. Casey Dick will back him up, but there is no certain moment in the game that Dick will come in. It just won't be Mortensen, and Cole Barthel will hold a clipboard.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HogInMemphis

My first reaction to your info is that Nutt decided (apparently by himself)  to try to run them off and thought that switching them to a foreign postion (that is, one on the opposite side of the ball that they normally play) will get them to quit quicker than playing them on the scout team.

Jim Harris

Quote from: UAGrad95 on October 20, 2005, 03:14:31 pm
Things are coming unraveled faster than I imagined up there. These sound like desperation moves by a coach barely hanging on to a program spiraling out of control. How in the world can JFB justify keeping this coach and this staff up there?

It's like if I were the editor of a weekly newspaper of politics, culture, and the arts, and my entertainment writer wrote this retarded review of a Motley Crue concert. Like the guy didn't even know the names of some of the songs. Well then my readers would get all PO'd at me, and I should lose my job because keeping such a lame writer on staff just proves gross mis-management. :)

I hear that guy feels like it's spraling out of control, too, and needs to hit the golf course soon and breathe a little bit. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TulsaHogFan

October 20, 2005, 03:16:25 pm #3 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:18:31 pm by TulsaHogFan
Why is Barthel and Mort not starting, yet we heard RJ will not start.  Is Nutt just making all the decisions on his own?  I mean if i was an assistant and i was being represented this way, i would quit.

Now don't get me wrong, i feel good and bad about starting Dick.  If we are 100% getting MM then start Dick, if there is even 1% chance we don't then hell what does the rest of the season help us? Season is over.

One good thing is next year is MM comes and redshirts, we will have 2 qb's with half a year of experience under their belt.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 03:14:48 pm
My first reaction to your info is that Nutt decided (apparently by himself) to try to run them off and thought that switching them to a foreign postion (that is, one on the opposite side of the ball that they normally play) will get them to quit quicker than playing them on the scout team.

maybe. The main point from who passed it on was that the staff was scratching their heads as much as anyone else was when they heard it.

HogInMemphis

Bledsoe played some offensive line in junior high and tight end at Little Rock Central High. He played 21 snaps at defensive tackle against Auburn. In five games (he didn't play at Alabama), Bledsoe has recorded six tackles.

"It's a big transition and whatever I can do to help the team, I'm willing to do it," Bledsoe said. "You can't have a negative mind about it, you've got to be positive because we're 2-6 and whatever needs to be done to help, that's what I'll do."

Sounds like Bledsoe is already counting the GA game as a loss. That's another sign of a real "team player".

HogInMemphis

Second Half Struggles

Arkansas hasn't caught much of a break after halftime in Southeastern Conference games. The Razorbacks have been outscored 63-31 in the second half of losses against Vanderbilt, Alabama and Auburn. 

By contrast, they're an even 23-23 in the first half of those games. Against Auburn last Saturday, the Hogs led 10-6 at intermission.

"We're just not finishing," Nutt said. "A lot of that, like in the Auburn game, the second half is a totally different game than the first half. It's 10-6 us and then we don't score in the third quarter. It gets lopsided, but it's two different games.

"We don't get off, we don't make first downs and the defense goes back out and can't stop the run. That's where it goes down hill on you pretty quick."

I haven't been to any games but I am curious about something:  Do the Hog players still hold up 4 fingers at the start of the 4th quarter? If so, it's not working for them. Someone may want to tell them to hold up 1 finger at the beginning of the 1st quarter but be sure to let Coach Nutt know not to run off the field at the half with one finger held up as if the Hogs are #1 based on a 10-6 lead at the half.

TulsaHogFan

Are the assistants offlimits to the media too?  Just curious if someone could answer that for me.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: drakehog on October 20, 2005, 03:06:17 pm
Yesterday before practice, there was a coaches meeting in which Bledsoe and Harrell were discussed, but mainly Bledsoe was discussed. Rocker said he had had all he could stand, and he insisted that morale on the defense would be kaput if he kept rotating Bledsoe in because of his work habits (which are awful, not only in the eyes of the coaches but the rest of the players). Supposedly, he can't finish a practice without either being sick or having a headache and refuses most times to run, and he loafs a lot throughout the workouts, as we all have heard. It was said that any other guy (not from Central) would have been run off long before now, but not Bledsoe.
Nutt talked about moving him to tight end, since Bledsoe played tight end at Central and actually caught some passes, and he has shown good feet. Ealy supposedly said "no way, I'm not taking him."
So, the coaches all agreed just to move Bledsoe down with Harrell on the scout team. Harrell just hasn't been the same this year as he was when he arrived. Hard to figure why. The assistant coaches thought all was done then and the meeting adjourned.
Then, after practice, everybody's stunned when Houston Nutt tells the media that Bledsoe and Harrell will go to the offensive line. Now, maybe Nutt and Markuson had a private meeting on their own after the coaches' regular meeting, but there wasn't a lot of time for that. Anyway, apparently Nutt just decided all this on his own, without input from the staff.

By the way, unless he's hurt today or tomorow working out, Robert Johnson will start. Casey Dick will back him up, but there is no certain moment in the game that Dick will come in. It just won't be Mortensen, and Cole Barthel will hold a clipboard.

Is Nutt trying to not "hurt anyone's feelings again"  or is this just more of his nutspeak?

A Boy Named Sue E.

Does anybody really think Nutt would go back on his word like that?

lumphog

He`s trying to piss off the assistants, because he knows what is coming.

JIHawg

UA Grad-agree totally with both of your posts in this string.  You nailed it.

LSUFan

Sounds like he is trying to get fired, so he can draw a check like Nolan.

mikeirwin

The Hogs have serious depth issues in the offensive line. Bledsoe wasn't getting along with Herring or Rocker. Harrell was recruited by most as an offensive lineman. It's not surprising to me that Nutt made this move. It's also not surprising that he might not have discussed it with his staff, particularly if  Ealy actually said that he wouldn't take Bledsoe. Most of these coaches are going to be gone shortly. Why would Nutt feel the need to tell them anything ? I've been hearing that Nutt has complained that his coaches don't listen to him. This is a good indication that he's preparing himself to make some big changes. Keep in mind that those who have said he will be asked to make those changes are not sure that he will. If you read between the lines looks to me that Nutt already knows what's expected of him and he's going along.

Hardwork321

Irwin,  Since it seem to me from your statement that nutt is plan to start fresh with all new ass. coach's.    Is he putting the blame on the assistant?

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 20, 2005, 03:54:54 pm
The Hogs have serious depth issues in the offensive line. Bledsoe wasn't getting along with Herring or Rocker. Harrell was recruited by most as an offensive lineman. It's not surprising to me that Nutt made this move. It's also not surprising that he might not have discussed it with his staff, particularly if Ealy actually said that he wouldn't take Bledsoe. Most of these coaches are going to be gone shortly. Why would Nutt feel the need to tell them anything ? I've been hearing that Nutt has complained that his coaches don't listen to him. This is a good indication that he's preparing himself to make some big changes. Keep in mind that those who have said he will be asked to make those changes are not sure that he will. If you read between the lines looks to me that Nutt already knows what's expected of him and he's going along.

Feralhog

The Hogs have serious depth issues in the offensive line. Bledsoe wasn't getting along with Herring or Rocker. Harrell was recruited by most as an offensive lineman. It's not surprising to me that Nutt made this move. It's also not surprising that he might not have discussed it with his staff, particularly if Ealy actually said that he wouldn't take Bledsoe. Most of these coaches are going to be gone shortly. Why would Nutt feel the need to tell them anything ? I've been hearing that Nutt has complained that his coaches don't listen to him. This is a good indication that he's preparing himself to make some big changes. Keep in mind that those who have said he will be asked to make those changes are not sure that he will. If you read between the lines looks to me that Nutt already knows what's expected of him and he's going along.

And to me Mike, if he does go along like some wilted flower, it's a good indication that he has lost confidence in himself and is willing to simply draw a check until the inevitable.  Looking back in regards to the supposed interests from other schools, I find it shocking that HDN has come to this lowly state!  Any way you slice it, this can't bode well for the hogs.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Jim Harris

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 20, 2005, 04:02:38 pm

That should be particularly troubling for no other reason than the upcoming recruiting class.

After all, how effective can the staff be as recruiters if they already know they'll be unemployed? And the looming staff turnover will be used by other coaches during recruiting talks as much as the NCAA Cloud ever was.

Of course, that'll provide an automatic excuse for some people when/if Signing Day is a bust.

That's one of the two major reasons why this recruiting class is starting to resemble some of those mostly JUCO jobs that Sherrill was bringing in at Mississippi State. For a while, that worked. By the end, they were thugs and he had a ridiculous discipline problem.

TulsaHawg

That should be particularly troubling for no other reason than the upcoming recruiting class.

After all, how effective can the staff be as recruiters if they already know they'll be unemployed? And the looming staff turnover will be used by other coaches during recruiting talks as much as the NCAA Cloud ever was.

Of course, that'll provide an automatic excuse for some people when/if Signing Day is a bust.

We are not going to sign that many recruits this year anyway, and we already have several verbals.  The hit on recruiting may not be as big as one might think.

Ark Blitz

MM is the only recruit I have been hearing about.  What about the recruits on defense?  The media is building up MM but what about other players?  We need more than just MM?  Granted that MM deserves the hype being a top QB but, he is not the only missing piece that we need.  We need Depth on the O line and D line and the secondary.

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 20, 2005, 04:44:28 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 04:36:42 pm

We are not going to sign that many recruits this year anyway, and we already have several verbals. The hit on recruiting may not be as big as one might think.

The fact that they aren't going to sign many players makes the quality of recruits even more important. What happens if the signing class is Mustain, two of his Springdale teammates and 8 or 9 kids who should be starting for UCA or Tech?

Well according to Rivals, we have 7 commitments, and the rankings are 1- 5 star, 1- 4 star, and the others are 3 stars. 1 is a DT, there are a couple of OLM, a couple of "athletes", a WR, and a QB.

http://arkansas.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2006&SID=1033&school=6&Sport=1

Jim Harris

Quote from: Thehammer on October 20, 2005, 04:57:45 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 03:14:48 pm
My first reaction to your info is that Nutt decided (apparently by himself) to try to run them off and thought that switching them to a foreign postion (that is, one on the opposite side of the ball that they normally play) will get them to quit quicker than playing them on the scout team.

How can a #4 star recruit, like Bledsoe; who was recruited by a team like Tennessee, not play up to his potential?

Well, I'd say "I think he plays like he's getting paid, no matter how well that is" but then y'all would hoot me down and tell me how honest our program and our "good Christian man" head coach are.

Jim Harris

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 20, 2005, 04:18:22 pm
Quote from: drakehog on October 20, 2005, 04:12:24 pm

That's one of the two major reasons why this recruiting class is starting to resemble some of those mostly JUCO jobs that Sherrill was bringing in at Mississippi State. For a while, that worked. By the end, they were thugs and he had a ridiculous discipline problem.

See, now the conspiracy theorist in me kicks in.

1. Years ago, HDN and Lindsey realized things would go in the crapper at Arkansas.
2. They also knew the only way a head coach survives back-to-back losing seasons is by firing all the assistants.
3. They also knew that when that happens, you can only get in-state kids and JUCOs.
4. So, therefore, they worked to eliminate the "D" Rule for just this very reason.

Genius!

Speaking of the D rule, why haven't we seen that excuse trotted out for the 2000, and 2002-2003 recruiting classes, along with the Cloud?

SultanofSwine

Saving it for those storm clouds brewing on the horizon.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: drakehog on October 20, 2005, 03:06:17 pm

it's hard to believe that NOTHING was said about them being moved to the O-line during their coaches meeting.  with our depth and aparent inability to burn the redshirts of our FR OL (unlike the rest of our redshirting FR.... even though it's already past the half-way point in the season) to shore up the OL depth, it's a no-brainer for me to move those 2 to the offensive line if they're getting buried on the depth chart.  bledsoe needs to just hang it up.  it's pretty obvious to me why HDN isn't making him quit (future LR Central recruiting efforts), but you can't just let a guy go through the motions either.  it's a priviledge to get a full athletic scholarship (or academic) and you can't underachieve or you'll get it pulled.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Illinihog

October 20, 2005, 06:51:23 pm #24 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 06:53:08 pm by Illinihog
Here is more about the Jeremy H. situation.  He is one of the hardest working hog...he has what few have and that is brute strength.  He has the strength you can't lift weights to achieve, he just one of those strong country boys.  Well him and Decker got into one day during indivual workouts and since then he has been in Nutt's dog house. 

You can't convince me that he played so well for two years and then all of a sudden can't hack it on this team?  We have guys playing out of position because our DC is on a some power trip and is moving players around left and right, once again Harrell could be playing DT and Harrison on an End it was working before...

Biggus Piggus

We are not going to sign that many recruits this year anyway, and we already have several verbals. The hit on recruiting may not be as big as one might think.

Man, you are full of darn.  They are going to sign a full class this year.  That's how many busts there have been.  Keep the Frank up [CENSORED].
[CENSORED]!

silvertip

October 20, 2005, 08:01:39 pm #26 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:04:34 pm by silvertip
Well, I have no insider info or friends on the Hill. Still, from what I think I know, it's hard for me to believe HDN would just dump these guys on Markuson without consulting first?

I would expect him to dump it on anyone else if Markuson was opposed. Guess that shows what I know.

TulsaHawg

October 20, 2005, 08:07:34 pm #27 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:09:56 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 07:43:20 pm

Man, you are full of Shiite. They are going to sign a full class this year. That's how many busts there have been. Keep the frick up anklebiter.

Biggus, I must say that I am really disappointed in you.  Overall, i have respected your opinions on here.  I thought you were classier than this.  If I am incorrect about something, it would be alright to point it out minus the adolescent namecalling.  I can understand plain English. I expect the insults from others on here, but as I said, I don't expect it from you, and I have lost a measure of respect for you.

That said, it was my understanding that we were only going to sign approximately 13-15 recruits this year.  Who are the 'busts" to which you refer, if you can respond without the insults, if you are not capable of that please don't respond at all. Thanks.

Dances With Hogs

its the same old crap,Nutt has completely lost it, he has to be in the bottom 10 % of bad coaches.
Quote from: UAGrad95 on October 20, 2005, 03:16:56 pm
My reaction was the opposite of yours, HIM. To me, I think he was afraid that moving them to scout would hurt their widdle feewings and they'd quit. So, he kept them on the active roster, put them at a position where they'd never get any reps, much less any game time. Gave them to a coach who is the ultimate "yes man" so he'd not make any waves. That's the way I read it.

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 08:07:34 pm

Man, you are full of Shiite. They are going to sign a full class this year. That's how many busts there have been. Keep the frick up anklebiter.

Biggus, I must say that I am really disappointed in you.  Overall, i have respected your opinions on here.  I thought you were classier than this.  If I am incorrect about something, it would be alright to point it out minus the adolescent namecalling.  I can understand plain English. I expect the insults from others on here, but as I said, I don't expect it from you, and I have lost a measure of respect for you.

That said, it was my understanding that we were only going to sign approximately 13-15 recruits this year.  Who are the 'busts" to which you refer, if you can respond without the insults, if you are not capable of that please don't respond at all. Thanks.

Ahhh the i am better than you post.  Been a few hours since he posted that one.  Good to see you picked a worthy opponent rather than just some little other "hater" as you call us.

TulsaHawg

October 20, 2005, 09:42:51 pm #30 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:46:14 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: TulsaHogFan on October 20, 2005, 09:34:54 pm

Biggus, I must say that I am really disappointed in you. Overall, i have respected your opinions on here. I thought you were classier than this. If I am incorrect about something, it would be alright to point it out minus the adolescent namecalling. I can understand plain English. I expect the insults from others on here, but as I said, I don't expect it from you, and I have lost a measure of respect for you.

That said, it was my understanding that we were only going to sign approximately 13-15 recruits this year. Who are the 'busts" to which you refer, if you can respond without the insults, if you are not capable of that please don't respond at all. Thanks.

Ahhh the i am better than you post. Been a few hours since he posted that one. Good to see you picked a worthy opponent rather than just some little other "hater" as you call us.

THF, at least I am capable of communicating my postions without resorting to insults and childish namecalling.  That seems to be too difficult a task for many on here.

As for my use of the term "Hater", it seems to be understood that there are basically two groups on here: The Haters, and The Huggers. 

BTW, where did I say that I am better than anyone else?

Feralhog

October 20, 2005, 09:47:14 pm #31 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:49:45 pm by Feralhog

This is what happens Bunky when you try and railroad an entire boxcar of Shiite.  Your insipient defense of Nutt is so friken convoluted, fellow hogvillians need to speak chineese just to friken challenge it.  Most people see right through it and say frik it. But when you start spewing total bull regarding inside info like recruiting, you will get nailed.   You should feel honored that Biggus took the time to bust your balls.   
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

TulsaHawg

October 20, 2005, 09:50:51 pm #32 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:53:51 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 09:47:14 pm

This is what happens Bunky when you try and railroad an entire boxcar of Shiite.  Your insipient defense of Nutt is so friken convoluted, fellow hogvillians need to speak chineese just to friken challenge it.  Most people see right through it and say frik it. But when you start spewing total bull regarding inside info like recruiting, you will get nailed.   You should be honored that Biggus to the time to bust your balls.   

I didn't quote "inside" info Feral. 

Please, share with me who all have been big "busts" which Biggus referred to.

Furthermore, kindly point out to me any defense of HDN I have made in this thread. 

That's one of the problems with many of you guys.  If someone dares to challenge the "company line" around here, he is automatically defending Nutt.  Talk about convoluted!

Feralhog

It's pretty obvious  you don't have inside knowledge.  Hell, your not keeping up with basic stuff posted on our recruiting board.   Admit it, you tried to run a load a darn, and got nailed. 

Biggus Piggus

October 20, 2005, 09:55:38 pm #34 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:03:36 pm by Biggus Piggus
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 09:42:51 pm
As for my use of the term "Hater", it seems to be understood that there are basically two groups on here: The Haters, and The Huggers. 

I think it is fun to take advantage of the censor.  Don't take it personally.  You don't know what anybody really thinks when you read this stuff.

Your relentless attempts to defend Nutt get tiresome, because you do not take a break.  You do not make even a halfhearted attempt to concede defeat when your previous effort gets smashed to bits.  You're off to the next spinsanity.  It is wacky.  I know you have the intelligence to add something to this board.  With a little honesty you can do it.  It is not honest to throw up the stuff you do and pretend that you believe it.

Whoever the coach is will sign at least 20, I bet.

I do not like having expected the downfall of this football program since way back more than two and a half years ago.  Didn't take guessing.  It was a read on the incoming talent and the shortcomings of the coaching staff.  Not "I don't like Nutt and I'm going to hate him forever, nyea nyea nyea."  It was a logical conclusion from the series of events, and a number of close program watchers agreed with this view.  Watching one's fears come true, slowly (and it happened in basketball too), is very unpleasant.

I supported Nutt through a lot of things that had to be explained away.  When he failed to address the offensive and defensive line needs with sufficient quantity/quality for the fourth year in a row in 2003, I gave up on him.  I love Razorback football, and it really sucks to be without it, to know we're sliding downhill.

I am not a hater.  I want the Razorbacks back.  They are not supposed to suck.
[CENSORED]!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 09:53:49 pm
It's pretty obvious you don't have inside knowledge. Hell, your not keeping up with basic stuff posted on our recruiting board. Admit it, you tried to run a load a Shiite, and got nailed.

No I did not attempt to run a load of anything.  Furthermore, I haven't read "our" recruiting board in some time. 

I did not pretend to have "inside information" on this matter.  I simply state what I have gathered over the past months.  I am still waiting on you to tell me who the big busts are.  How many recruits will we sign?

TulsaHawg

October 20, 2005, 10:05:28 pm #36 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:09:53 pm by TulsaHawg
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 09:55:38 pm
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 09:42:51 pm

I think it is fun to take advantage of the censor. Don't take it personally. You don't know what anybody really thinks when you read this stuff.

Your relentless attempts to defend Nutt get tiresome, because you do not take a break. You do not make even a halfhearted attempt to concede defeat when your previous effort gets smashed to bits. You're off to the next spinsanity. It is wacky. I know you have the intelligence to add something to this board. With a little honesty you can do it. It is not honest to throw up the stuff you do and pretend that you believe it.

Whoever the coach is will sign at least 20, I bet.

Tell me Biggus, when do you guys take a break from all the negative spin? And that gets a lot tiresome as well.

I will say again, the statement I made about recruiting was not a defense of HDN.  It was about the fact that we will not have as large of a class this year as we have in recent years.  And apparently that is true. 

Using your number of "20" (which seems to be pure conjecture on your part), it is still likely that we will end up with around 15 when everything shakes out.  Is that fairly accurate or not?

Now, can you tell me who the "busts" are?

While you are at it, could you show me where you consider my "previous effort gets smashed to bits."  Perhaps the reason I don't concede, is because I have not been defeated.

Feralhog

I've not been to the recruiting board in awhile either.  To be honest, I'm not a recruiting wonk like Biggus and Drake.  I know enough to understand that we are not close to filling the class.  I know Myron McKinney and Blaine Hainebach, Rudy Harrell, a quartet of players from Shreveport Evangel, Seth Oxner, Logan Zabel, Eric Shaffer, were at the game Saturday along with Brown.  I know that if they could, the coaches wouldn't turn away too many on that list. 

bigred7987

QuoteBy the way, unless he's hurt today or tomorow working out, Robert Johnson will start. Casey Dick will back him up, but there is no certain moment in the game that Dick will come in. It just won't be Mortensen, and Cole Barthel will hold a clipboard.
Casey Dick should be the 1st string QB in my opinion...could be wrong but he has shown the most potential

HogInMemphis

Man, you are full of Shiite.  They are going to sign a full class this year.  That's how many busts there have been.  Keep the frick up anklebiter.

Careful, Junkyardp.usskins will berate you for being nasty to others and being an admin while doing it. You need to be nicer. Hahaha.

WilsonHog

October 20, 2005, 10:33:01 pm #40 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:36:40 pm by Wake Up the Echoes
Quote from: TulsaHawg on October 20, 2005, 10:05:28 pm
Tell me Biggus, when do you guys take a break from all the negative spin? And that gets a lot tiresome as well.

You have to be able to see both sides of it, and you have to be willing to express both sides of it.

When Nutt puts a good game plan together, when his team is fundamentally sound, I give him the credit, and have no problem doing so. In those times, I would have no problem walking up to him and shaking his hand.

When the opposite is true, I have no problem expressing those thoughts as well.  In those times, I would have no problem walking up to him with middle finger extended.

Biggus Piggus

No attempt at negative spin.  It's just analysis.

I will say again, the statement I made about recruiting was not a defense of HDN.  It was about the fact that we will not have as large of a class this year as we have in recent years.  And apparently that is true. 

Using your number of "20" (which seems to be pure conjecture on your part)

Why is it pure conjecture?  Because you don't know darn?

it is still likely that we will end up with around 15 when everything shakes out.  Is that fairly accurate or not?

No.  I already answered this.  What are you trying to do?

While you are at it, could you show me where you consider my "previous effort gets smashed to bits."  Perhaps the reason I don't concede, is because I have not been defeated.

I don't have to recount these.  Anybody who reads your stuff knows.  You started with great optimism, and as the season unfolded you descended into an exercise that's half taking the opposite view on purpose and half lame attempts to spin something in Nutt's favor. 

Surely you are old enough to remember when we had a competent football program.  Can't you tell the difference?  Nutt will never succeed, because as an administrator he is a complete disaster.  I don't present opinions because we lost some football games.  I gave up on Nutt before his most promising season.  All this was foreseeable.  It was preventable.  He is a disaster of an administrator.  Given enough time he can assemble a roster into an adequate team, that is if enough players are there.  It's over, man.  Not enough players.  Not enough time.
[CENSORED]!

Turnberry

What's Tiresome?

How about being a fan of a program that hasn't sniffed the Top 25 in six years?
How about being a fan of a program that has never won a conference title? 
How about being a fan of a program that hasn't finished in the Top 10 in twenty-three years?

The list goes on and on......

aka PlanoHog

Feralhog

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 10:10:29 pm
I've not been to the recruiting board in awhile either. To be honest, I'm not a recruiting wonk like Biggus and Drake. I know enough to understand that we are not close to filling the class. I know Myron McKinney and Blaine Hainebach, Rudy Harrell, a quartet of players from Shreveport Evangel, Seth Oxner, Logan Zabel, Eric Shaffer, were at the game Saturday along with Brown. I know that if they could, the coaches wouldn't turn away too many on that list.

I'm sorry they were there to see that.  We should bring in our football recruits to watch basketball games.
[CENSORED]!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 10:36:00 pm

No attempt at negative spin. It's just analysis.

I will say again, the statement I made about recruiting was not a defense of HDN. It was about the fact that we will not have as large of a class this year as we have in recent years. And apparently that is true.

Using your number of "20" (which seems to be pure conjecture on your part)

Why is it pure conjecture? Because you don't know Shiite?

it is still likely that we will end up with around 15 when everything shakes out. Is that fairly accurate or not?

No. I already answered this. What are you trying to do?

While you are at it, could you show me where you consider my "previous effort gets smashed to bits." Perhaps the reason I don't concede, is because I have not been defeated.

I don't have to recount these. Anybody who reads your stuff knows. You started with great optimism, and as the season unfolded you descended into an exercise that's half taking the opposite view on purpose and half lame attempts to spin something in Nutt's favor.

Surely you are old enough to remember when we had a competent football program. Can't you tell the difference? Nutt will never succeed, because as an administrator he is a complete disaster. I don't present opinions because we lost some football games. I gave up on Nutt before his most promising season. All this was foreseeable. It was preventable. He is a disaster of an administrator. Given enough time he can assemble a roster into an adequate team, that is if enough players are there. It's over, man. Not enough players. Not enough time.

No attempt at negative spin. It's just analysis.

If you make a point it's "analysis"; if someone disagrees with you, it's "darn"?

Why is it pure conjecture? Because you don't know Shiite?

I used the word "conjecture" because you said, "Whoever the coach is will sign at least 20, I bet."  "I bet" would seem to indicate an uncertainty, therefore would qualify as "conjecture" on your part. I may not know darn, but it doesn't seem like you do either on this matter.  You seem to be guessing just like everyone else. 

I ask you again, for the third time, who are the "busts" you referred to?

No. I already answered this. What are you trying to do?

So you are saying we are going to actually have room for 20?  In the past the practice has been to oversign knowing some would not qualify.  I simply am asking for an explanation concerning your "conjecture"? You could at least make something up.

I don't have to recount these. Anybody who reads your stuff knows. You started with great optimism, and as the season unfolded you descended into an exercise that's half taking the opposite view on purpose and half lame attempts to spin something in Nutt's favor.

Of course you don't have to.  Could that be because you can't?  Of course you are free to just hurl out false accusations without feeling the need to substantiate them.  If someone doesn't agree with you, HE is the one who is wrong.

Your last sentence is confusing...."opposite view on purpose":  Opposite view of what?  Yours?  Whose?

My post in this thread was not a defense of HDN.  I simply said that we are not signing as large of a class this year as we have the past few years.  I have heard the number to be as low as 13, although I realize it will probably be higher than that.  Even if it is as high as your guess of 20, it is still lower than the last few years.

I was responding to someone who said that we might be in trouble with recruiting if several of the assistants are let go at the end of the year. My point was that with the 7 commitments already, and the lower number of vacancies, we might not be hit as hard as one would think.  I realize that some of the 7 commitments could de-commit, but they might not as well.

Now, how was that spinning anything?  How was my speculation a "defense of Nutt"?

It's not, but because it doesn't agree with your "expert" analysis, you say I am full of darn. Some of you guys seem to be so blinded by your hatred for Nutt, and by your incessant negativity, that you just go off half-cocked in hurling your attacks and insults toward anyone who does not obsequiously submit to the party line.

You did that on this thread Biggus, and you have lost some degree of credibility.  You are so enraged by the positions that I take on here, that you allowed your bias to blind you as to what I actually said, so you simply lashed out.  Just because YOU say I am full of darn and that I don't know what I am talking about, and that I am defending Nutt, doesn't make it so.

This is an "opinion" board.  And even those of us who don't know darn are free to post our opinions as well.

Go ahead and blindly flail away!

TulsaHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 20, 2005, 04:44:28 pm

The fact that they aren't going to sign many players makes the quality of recruits even more important. What happens if the signing class is Mustain, two of his Springdale teammates and 8 or 9 kids who should be starting for UCA or Tech?

What effect would just bringing Malzahn onto the staff have on recruiting.  I think between HDN, Reggie, and Gus, they can get some more quality recruits to the Hill.

I would imagine they could sell a new vision for the program, and there would be recruits excited to come and play in a souped up offense, if that's how they would choose to go.

I am just saying, if several assistants do end up leaving, it does not necessarily doom recruiting.  It depends who is brought in, and what other changes are made.

jblack19

If Malzahn and SHS wins a state title this year, it'll do alot for recruiting. Plus with MM here it adds more to the future possibilities of the program.  :razorback:

Razorod

but BP has made several posts examining the last five or six recruiting classes and listing all the "busts." Plus, there D'nerian Wrighter, Matt Gilbow and others who are no longer with the team and probably a few others who may not be with the team after the season is over (see Fred Bledsoe).There's three off the top of my head.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 11:28:32 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 10:10:29 pm
I've not been to the recruiting board in awhile either. To be honest, I'm not a recruiting wonk like Biggus and Drake. I know enough to understand that we are not close to filling the class. I know Myron McKinney and Blaine Hainebach, Rudy Harrell, a quartet of players from Shreveport Evangel, Seth Oxner, Logan Zabel, Eric Shaffer, were at the game Saturday along with Brown. I know that if they could, the coaches wouldn't turn away too many on that list.

I'm sorry they were there to see that. We should bring in our football recruits to watch basketball games.

Two recruits who were being shown around by one of the veteran Razorback Belles, the Razorback Belle that's kinda like the one they consider the best to take recruits on visits, came back from the weekend and reported that the two she showed around (Brown and Coppage perhaps?) were the worst two people she'd ever been around in her recruiting career.