Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A small suggestion on posting. . .

Started by Feralhog, October 20, 2005, 07:28:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Feralhog

October 20, 2005, 07:28:35 am Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 07:34:19 am by Feralhog
I'm not jumping on anyone, but I think it's important to go over some things that I would define as board etiquette. The first person who starts a particular topic deserves to have the posts on that topic in the body of the thread he started. I realize there's a fear of losing a post when a thread is 2 or 3 pages long, but in actuality, the opposite is true. A hot topic is an indication that people are reading posts in the thread. For example, there's already 3 separate threads talking about Bledsoe moving to the OL. Maybe it's me, but when I open a thread after going through 2 pages on the same subject in a seperate thread, I usually back out and move on.  Just trying to be helpful.

Ok, I'll get down off my soap box
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

LSUFan

YOU HAVE THE POWER DUDE!

Just merge the threads.

Feralhog

Quote from: LSUFan on October 20, 2005, 07:38:03 am
YOU HAVE THE POWER DUDE!

Just merge the threads.

I'd rather not do that.  We have a lot of new members on this board and I figure most people who step on threads do it unwittingly.  The first thing I do before posting is read the board.  If an issue or topic I'm wanting to bring up already exists, I post in the thread.

I equate this to walking in your playing partners line on the golf course.  It's rude to start a new thread on a topic that's already been posted. 
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

LSUFan

Quote from: Feralhog on October 20, 2005, 07:46:59 am

I equate this to walking in your playing partners line on the golf course. It's rude to start a new thread on a topic that's already been posted.

I view it as pompous. To think that nobody had the same thought as you, and to not bother to skim the board to check.

junkyardhog

I tend to agree with you UNLESS the leader was not enough to drum up reads. For example:

Let's say that HDN had an affair with the towell boy and it was leaked out.

Post Headline 1 might say: "Did you know what HDN did today?"
Post Headline 2 might say: "HDN has HOMO affair with lockerroom boy!"

Same information, but this breaking story could be possibly buried because of a poor lead in.
Can you see how something might get a LOT more reads with just the right heading?

LSUFan

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 20, 2005, 09:19:28 am

Holy Crap, tell me more ;D

Feralhog

October 20, 2005, 09:53:44 am #6 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:35:22 am by Feralhog
Quote from: junkyardhog on October 20, 2005, 09:19:28 am
I tend to agree with you UNLESS the leader was not enough to drum up reads. For example:

Let's say that HDN had an affair with the towell boy and it was leaked out.

Post Headline 1 might say: "Did you know what HDN did today?"

Same information, but this breaking story could be possibly buried because of a poor lead in.
Can you see how something might get a LOT more reads with just the right heading?

I agree  people don't always have the best lead in, that's why it's important to read the board.  I try to read all the original posts first thing in the morning.  After opening the topic, if I don't like the subject, I'll still skim to see if anyone added something that I may wish to respond. 

Reading the entire board first makes it easy to periodically scan the entire board throughout the day by simply utilizing the new button feature.  Most of the time I can clear the front page in a matter of a few minutes. 

What's  maddening is  popping back to the board, then opening a thread I thought I had read earlier or posted a reply, only to discover it's an entirely new thread with the same topic that's already been posted.  The next thing you know, you have replies on 2 different threads covering the same subject.

HogInMemphis

I posted the same thing two or three weeks ago and it didn't change anything. I merged about 5 or 6 threads and it confused some of the natives. I moved a ton of 1 post threads off the main board as well.

silvertip

I see your point Feralhog. One problem I have is not having enough time to check all the other threads. So when I start a thread without reading the others, it's usually because I have a question that I am seeking info on. I usually start those threads with, "Sorry if this has already been covered, but..." Then i go take my shower, eat breakfast & check back before leaving the house to see if I got an answer.

So, although I agree to an extent, I also think it might be easier for those who spend a lot of time reading the entire board to quickly exit a repetitious thread---than it would be for someone in a hurry to check everything else before posting.

Myself, I'm going to take a little extra effort to make sure my lead-ins describe the topic.

94 Hawg

theres way too many threads here to follow them all, I check the threads I've replied in for new replies, then scan the topics. I still end up seeing basically the same posts over & over....oh well :-\
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

junkyardhog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 10:04:57 am
I posted the same thing two or three weeks ago and it didn't change anything. I merged about 5 or 6 threads and it confused some of the natives. I moved a ton of 1 post threads off the main board as well.

Not being hostile, but do you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously, HiM? By your attitude, you have rendered yourself a non factor here. Sure, people may respond to your rantings, but can you state one thing you've said that was substantiative?  I would honestly like to know what the 'powers that be' see in you. It has to be something, as they are typically intelligent. You just have shown no sign of the reasons why you are on this board.

You rant incessantly about nothing. You attack everyone and are very mean spirited. I could understand if it were 'in fun' or tounge in cheek, but it simply isn't.  You attacked a young lady for simply inquiring about Ken Hamlin, (I was thinking her same question).

It is important to have flammable posters, it keeps the board going sometimes. But you have to balance that out with at least an effort of being 'smart'.

If there was any example of an oxygen thief (bandwidth thief), you are it. Now I will say that this is strictly on this board, you may be a great guy in person and IMHO that HAS to be the reason the real 'mods' put up with you.  BTW- Don't even get me started on the subject of you being a mod. :(

Lanny

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 20, 2005, 06:37:32 pm

Not being hostile, but do you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously, HiM? By your attitude, you have rendered yourself a non factor here. Sure, people may respond to your rantings, but can you state one thing you've said that was substantiative? I would honestly like to know what the 'powers that be' see in you. It has to be something, as they are typically intelligent. You just have shown no sign of the reasons why you are on this board.

You rant incessantly about nothing. You attack everyone and are very mean spirited. I could understand if it were 'in fun' or tounge in cheek, but it simply isn't. You attacked a young lady for simply inquiring about Ken Hamlin, (I was thinking her same question).

It is important to have flammable posters, it keeps the board going sometimes. But you have to balance that out with at least an effort of being 'smart'.

If there was any example of an oxygen thief (bandwidth thief), you are it. Now I will say that this is strictly on this board, you may be a great guy in person and IMHO that HAS to be the reason the real 'mods' put up with you. BTW- Don't even get me started on the subject of you being a mod. :(

It's no secret that HiM and I go several years back and are friends.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

junkyardhog

October 20, 2005, 07:59:41 pm #12 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 08:23:42 pm by junkyardhog
HSV, please, tell us what you see good about him. (I honestly think there has to be something)  There has to be something. Obviously, he doesn't want to share it with us.

Does his friendship with you give him a 'free pass' to be hostile to everyone who posts?  I think HiM and HDN have a LOT in common. In this case, you are Jim Lindsey and HiM is HDN.

Can you see the similiarities?

WilsonHog

Quote from: junkyardhog on October 20, 2005, 07:59:41 pm
HSV, please, tell us what you see good about him. (I honestly think there has to be something)  There has to be something. Obviously, he doesn't want to share it with us.

Does his friendship with you give him a 'free pass' to be hostile to everyone who posts?  I think HiM and HDN have a LOT in common. In this case, you are Jim Lindsey and HiM is HDN.

I've never met HiM, but I've read a ton of his posts over the years.

He and I are similar in one respect.

It's always easy for me to keep straight when I'm a Republican and when I'm a Democrat.  I've I'm in a room full of Democrats, I'm a Republican, and vice versa.

In other words, sometimes I'll read through a thread and pick up on one thing that'll be like tearing a scab off - and that's exactly what I'll say.  Who cares if I actually believe it.........

junkyardhog

Kind of like the child of a rich daddy. He can do anything he wants because of who his daddy is. He'll always be the way he is and he'll always be able to do it as long as Daddy protects him.

Wilson, I understand the scab pulling. I pull scabs a lot, ;D.  I don't understand allowing HiM to be an arrogant idiot who attacks everyone. IMHO- HiM, the way he is now, is not good for this board. But, it seems he has protection and as long as he does, he will will act the way he does. I don't want him to leave at all, I just want him to tone down his attitude.

When I do or say wrong, I usually apologize, or at least you know that I know I shouldn't have said something. The person who usually puts me in check is Richard, and I appreciate him for that.  He is able to say: Hey JYH, think about what you are saying before you say it.

Hey, hell, who cares though. To each his own. ;)

Hog Bounty Hunter

October 20, 2005, 09:30:57 pm #15 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:47:45 pm by Hog Bounty Hunter
Quote from: junkyardhog on October 20, 2005, 09:26:15 pm
Kind of like the child of a rich daddy. He can do anything he wants because of who his daddy is. He'll always be the way he is and he'll always be able to do it as long as Daddy protects him.

Wilson, I understand the scab pulling. I pull scabs a lot, ;D. I don't understand allowing HiM to be an arrogant idiot who attacks everyone. IMHO- HiM, the way he is now, is not good for this board. But, it seems he has protection and as long as he does, he will will act the way he does. I don't want him to leave at all, I just want him to tone down his attitude.

When I do or say wrong, I usually apologize, or at least you know that I know I shouldn't have said something. The person who usually puts me in check is Richard, and I appreciate him for that. He is able to say: Hey JYH, think about what you are saying before you say it.

Hey, hell, who cares though. To each his own. ;)

Got to go with JYD on this one,  you could run a popularity contest between HIM and and a pig and the pig would win.

junkyardhog

Skip, you are officially on my Herradura list. ;D

Flatfoot owes me a bottle of Herradura Anjeo. The best tequila in the world. BTW- I won it betting ON Notre Dame.  A select few of us will have a round of the best Tequila in the world courtesy of Notre Dame and Flatfoot.

Flatfoot, Richard, Perryhog (he gave me a margarita when I didn't supply my own), hogapalooza, mike b, hoop, and, of course hsv. (Am I forgetting anyone? Sorry batman, you aren't 21 yet ;D )

This will be at the tailgate in Little Rock v. M. State.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Sounds good, I like good Tequila, I'll take mine straight up with a little salt and a lemon slice. ;D

HogInMemphis

Not being hostile, but do you expect anyone to take anything you say seriously, HiM? By your attitude, you have rendered yourself a non factor here. Sure, people may respond to your rantings, but can you state one thing you've said that was substantiative?  I would honestly like to know what the 'powers that be' see in you. It has to be something, as they are typically intelligent. You just have shown no sign of the reasons why you are on this board.

You rant incessantly about nothing. You attack everyone and are very mean spirited. I could understand if it were 'in fun' or tounge in cheek, but it simply isn't.  You attacked a young lady for simply inquiring about Ken Hamlin, (I was thinking her same question).

If there was any example of an oxygen thief (bandwidth thief), you are it. Now I will say that this is strictly on this board, you may be a great guy in person and IMHO that HAS to be the reason the real 'mods' put up with you.  BTW- Don't even get me started on the subject of you being a mod. :(

Most of the ones who post here by the hundreds of posts per week are not intelligent enough to understand my posts, hence your thinking that my posts are not substantive. I can't control the intelligence level of other posters - sorry.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 10:06:49 pm

Most of the ones who post here by the hundreds of posts per week are not intelligent enough to understand my posts, hence your thinking that my posts are not substantive. I can't control the intelligence level of other posters - sorry.

Yeah that's ole HIM, he's just a little better and smarter than the rest of us. Bow to the great HIM. 

HogInMemphis

Quote from: HoopHog on October 20, 2005, 09:13:44 pm
Are we all talking about HiM like he is not here? :D  HiM...Catholic High alumni banquet this evening...good crowd, but the gym is still not air conditioned!!!

Some things never change....and that's a good thing. Sorry I wasn't able to make it. At son's baseball game tonight and tough to come from Memphis for the Alumni banquet. The only one I've ever been to was the one that Holtz spoke at 7 or 8 years ago..or was it longer ago than that?

HogInMemphis

Hostile to everyone who posts? Let's not get too dramatic, ok? It's a few folks in the last few days who are posting the same stupid crap over and over. About time someone called them out on it. If you are this sensitive, you need to take time off and stop spending too much time here.

Hog Bounty Hunter

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 10:10:49 pm

Hostile to everyone who posts? Let's not get too dramatic, ok? It's a few folks in the last few days who are posting the same stupid crap over and over. About time someone called them out on it. If you are this sensitive, you need to take time off and stop spending too much time here.
He calls JYD out and say he is the guy to "call people on it" then says "If you are this sensitive, you need to take time off and stop spending too much time here. "  You are slipping there HIM, comeon you're smarter than that, show us how much better than us that you are.  Hey I know, why don't you come up with a witty picture to show your superior intelligence?

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Hog Bounty Hunter on October 20, 2005, 10:13:30 pm
Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 20, 2005, 10:10:49 pm

He calls JYD out and say he is the guy to "call people on it" then says "If you are this sensitive, you need to take time off and stop spending too much time here. "  You are slipping there HIM, comeon you're smarter than that, show us how much better than us that you are.  Hey I know, why don't you come up with a witty picture to show your superior intelligence?

You're not being very nice to me. I'm hurt. Junkyard, call off your dog.

kremlinhog

feralhog, forget posting anymore, just make sure the chicken is ready saturday

Feralhog

October 20, 2005, 10:45:41 pm #25 Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:48:05 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: kremlinhog on October 20, 2005, 10:21:20 pm
feralhog, forget posting anymore, just make sure the chicken is ready saturday

You'll get your friken Chicken!   ;)  I'm also gonna do a Jamaican Jerk Pork Loin with Coconut dipping sauce. (a splash of rum optional)  If the game sucks as bad as we think, the dipping sauce may not see much friken rum. 

jblack19

And now the pot calls the kettle black...  ??? :razorback:

corndo

junkyardhog

Now this is funny. I actually went to bed at 10 last night. I was kind of wondering what the look on HiM's fingers would be when he read this. ;D

It's funny, the same schtick he uses has been used on HiM. ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]