Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From today's Commercial Appeal on the Hogs and Nutt

Started by HogInMemphis, October 19, 2005, 08:24:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogInMemphis

Home isn't that sweet

The loss to Auburn on Saturday dropped Arkansas to 7-10 in SEC games at Reynolds Razorback Stadium since 2000. "Not good," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. Even worse is that Arkansas is off to its first 0-3 SEC start since 2001 and could be looking at its first 0-4 start because it plays at Georgia on Saturday. "We've got to keep believing and keep fighting," he said. Insiders say that Nutt will return next year as coach, but only if he fires some assistants.

"not good". Well said, Houston.

"Keep believing..." Believeing in what? That you are not a shi,tty team? That's not "believeing", that's refusing to face reality, which is not healthy. Something that Broyles and others are apparently unable to do regarding Nutt.

"Insiders"?  Who might they be? And what assistants are gone after this year's 4-7 or 3-8 season? And speaking of 4-7 or 3-8, what happened to improving when you have 17 returning starters? Does that not hold water anymore or does it not work if Nutt is your head coach? How did 17 players get worse from the experience of starting last season??

I'd love to see every assistant fired. Every single one of them - Decker, Rocker, Danny Nutt, Shibest, Allen, Vaughn, Witke and whoever else I'm leaving out. This group has become associated with losing and I think at least some of the players have lost respect for them.  Barring that, just fire Houston and get new leadership. Yeah, that'd be good by me.

HogDodging

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 19, 2005, 08:24:41 am
Barring that, just fire Houston and get new leadership. Yeah, that'd be good by me.

I'm with you.

Bringing in new assistants, while retaining Nutt as head coach, still leaves Nutt in charge.  He's the problem with the program, not his assistants.
He's the one who hires those guys.  He has the final say in what they do.
The only way things are going to change for the better is to have a wholesale cleansing of the football program, and that means starting at the top.

Swino

A 7-10 record over the last 5 years under a coach in his 8th year would not be tolerated at any school that has even a small amount of football tradition.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Swino on October 19, 2005, 08:30:26 am
A 7-10 record over the last 5 years under a coach in his 8th year would not be tolerated at any school that has even a small amount of football tradition.

True. But the Hogs' football tradition is over 15 years old, like I told the RF in my recent email to them. The Hogs have sucked for 16 straight seasons. 2 decent seasons in 16 - '95 and '98, and in both of those the Hogs were not nationally competitive. They just happened to be years that the Hogs got some breaks schedule-wise and the SEC was down in talent overall.

LA HAWG

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 19, 2005, 08:24:41 am
Home isn't that sweet

The loss to Auburn on Saturday dropped Arkansas to 7-10 in SEC games at Reynolds Razorback Stadium since 2000. "Not good," Arkansas coach Houston Nutt said. Even worse is that Arkansas is off to its first 0-3 SEC start since 2001 and could be looking at its first 0-4 start because it plays at Georgia on Saturday. "We've got to keep believing and keep fighting," he said. Insiders say that Nutt will return next year as coach, but only if he fires some assistants.

"not good". Well said, Houston.

"Keep believing..." Believeing in what? That you are not a shi,tty team? That's not "believeing", that's refusing to face reality, which is not healthy. Something that Broyles and others are apparently unable to do regarding Nutt.

"Insiders"? Who might they be? And what assistants are gone after this year's 4-7 or 3-8 season? And speaking of 4-7 or 3-8, what happened to improving when you have 17 returning starters? Does that not hold water anymore or does it not work if Nutt is your head coach? How did 17 players get worse from the experience of starting last season??

I'd love to see every assistant fired. Every single one of them - Decker, Rocker, Danny Nutt, Shibest, Allen, Vaughn, Witke and whoever else I'm leaving out. This group has become associated with losing and I think at least some of the players have lost respect for them. Barring that, just fire Houston and get new leadership. Yeah, that'd be good by me.

You forgot the worst one of the bunch, Herring.

e_dub

Herring hasn't had enough time to show anything. I strongly believe that.  He's got a bunch of retards houston recruited and he's trying to use them the best he can. 

Razorback Jedi

Quote from: HogInMemphis on October 19, 2005, 08:34:28 am

True. But the Hogs' football tradition is over 15 years old, like I told the RF in my recent email to them. The Hogs have sucked for 16 straight seasons. 2 decent seasons in 16 - '95 and '98, and in both of those the Hogs were not nationally competitive. They just happened to be years that the Hogs got some breaks schedule-wise and the SEC was down in talent overall.

I'd say that in 99 we were nationally competitive with wins over both UT's. Wasn't a "great year", but we had some great wins.

rathog1

I posted this before and got no answer.

Name a coach on life support that was forced to fire assistants that kept his job?

There are none! Its never happened! So why throw away another year trying? Nutt is the problem in this equation.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

mikeirwin

Quote from: rathog1 on October 19, 2005, 09:51:29 am

Name a coach on life support that was forced to fire assistants that kept his job?

There are none! Its never happened! So why throw away another year trying? Nutt is the problem in this equation.

Tuberville came within a whisker of getting fired. After that he changed coordinators. Worked out pretty well for him.

mikeirwin

He STILL almost got fired and he STILL made staff changes and the staff changes appeared to work.

Macgyver_Hawg

There was a comment made on Press Row that Wittke is not being allowed to run his type of offense and is being overruled. 

Why would Gus be treated any different?  To think that they are overruling Wittke now but then they'll let a high school coach come in and get to do things Wittke is not allowed to do doesn't make sense.

RJ and the QB position is a problem, but so was not letting D. McF. and Jones play during the Vanderbilt game.  That was a coaching mistake.  Why are the best players not on the field at the start of the season year after year?  Why will this be any different with new assistants?

hoggystyle78

we're supposed to forget all about having 17 starters back, CMON GUYS WE"RE YOUNG!!!!!!, give me a freakin break excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse..........

hoggystyle78

And that my hog brother is houston dale nutts fault 100 percent!
Quote from: Thehammer on October 19, 2005, 04:54:42 pm
Quote from: hoggystyle78 on October 19, 2005, 04:47:39 pm
we're supposed to forget all about having 17 starters back, CMON GUYS WE"RE YOUNG!!!!!!, give me a freakin break excuse after excuse after excuse after excuse..........

Forget the "young" excuse. The talent is not there on defense. We're too small and undertalented.

Jim Harris

Freddy Akers should have been toast at Texas in 1985, but got to fire some of his longtime friends off his staff, and David McWilliams got a job at Texas Tech, so he basically unloaded five assistants going into 1986. It didn't matter. Texas sucked. We even beat them in Austin for the first time in 20 years.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

rathog1

Quote from: mikeirwin on October 19, 2005, 11:26:11 am

Tuberville came within a whisker of getting fired. After that he changed coordinators. Worked out pretty well for him.

I asked over on the Auburn board if Tubby was forced to fire assistants, overwhelmingly the answer I got was no. Those changes were already in the works.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

Jim Harris

Quote from: rathog1 on October 20, 2005, 07:11:32 am

I asked over on the Auburn board if Tubby was forced to fire assistants, overwhelmingly the answer I got was no. Those changes were already in the works.

Tubby didn't have to be told to shitcan failing assistants. He knew better. He was just lucky all hell broke loose about the trip to Louisville by Housel and the prez so that he could make the changes he had to make. Nutt's made changes before when he felt like they had to be made, without Broyles having to assert himself. I can promise you Nutt was going to cut Wommack loose last year without Broyles suggesting that. Broyles may have suggested more, but Nutt won that day by explaining their usefulness that Broyles didn't realize.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

TulsaHogFan

Quote from: drakehog on October 21, 2005, 05:07:32 pm
Quote from: rathog1 on October 20, 2005, 07:11:32 am

Tubby didn't have to be told to shitcan failing assistants. He knew better. He was just lucky all hell broke loose about the trip to Louisville by Housel and the prez so that he could make the changes he had to make. Nutt's made changes before when he felt like they had to be made, without Broyles having to assert himself. I can promise you Nutt was going to cut Wommack loose last year without Broyles suggesting that. Broyles may have suggested more, but Nutt won that day by explaining their usefulness that Broyles didn't realize.

What exactly were those usefulnesses that he explained?  I am just curious

Anti-OtisII

I posted this in another post but it is worth repeating.

Going back thru the 2000 season (the last 5 1/2 years), Arkansas' record in SEC games is 19-24 (44.2%).  That winning percentage is only better than Mississippi State (20.5%), Kentucky (14.3%), and Vanderbilt (11.4%) and puts us in 9th place for this decade behind South Carolina, Ole Miss, Bama and the rest of the "real" football programs in the SEC.  In that same time period, only Kentucky, Vandy, and our Hogs have failed to finish in the Top 25 at least once, and we've now managed to lose to both of those teams in our HOME stadium. 

I think that any resemblance we have to being a program with "even a small amount of football tradition" has slowly and irrevocably been pissed away by our current head coach and his cronies.

jabohog

Quote from: Anti-OtisII on October 21, 2005, 08:00:13 pm

Going back thru the 2000 season (the last 5 1/2 years), Arkansas' record in SEC games is 19-24 (44.2%).  That winning percentage is only better than Mississippi State (20.5%), Kentucky (14.3%), and Vanderbilt (11.4%) and puts us in 9th place for this decade behind South Carolina, Ole Miss, Bama and the rest of the "real" football programs in the SEC.  In that same time period, only Kentucky, Vandy, and our Hogs have failed to finish in the Top 25 at least once, and we've now managed to lose to both of those teams in our HOME stadium. 

I think that any resemblance we have to being a program with "even a small amount of football tradition" has slowly and irrevocably been pissed away by our current head coach and his cronies.

I've read allot of stats on this board, but those are the most flabbergasting of all!

jblack19

Yeah, lets omit Nutts first 2 years here. Thats intelligent.. NOT!

JDHogg

Quote from: jblack19 on October 22, 2005, 08:09:16 am

Going back thru the 2000 season (the last 5 1/2 years), Arkansas' record in SEC games is 19-24 (44.2%). That winning percentage is only better than Mississippi State (20.5%), Kentucky (14.3%), and Vanderbilt (11.4%) and puts us in 9th place for this decade behind South Carolina, Ole Miss, Bama and the rest of the "real" football programs in the SEC. In that same time period, only Kentucky, Vandy, and our Hogs have failed to finish in the Top 25 at least once, and we've now managed to lose to both of those teams in our HOME stadium.

Yeah, lets omit Nutts first 2 years here. Thats intelligent.. NOT!

Again, you jump in irrationally.  That's what is NOT intelligent.  The numbers in the post are facts.  The direction of the football program is what is of concern.  The first two years of HDN were not even with his players.  Now we have his players.  It used to be that coaches didn't even want their first two years counted for that very reason.  How long should HDN have?  The investigation was his staff's fault.  The events happened in summer of 1998 while he was head coach.  So don't give me any of the "investigation" story.  You need to separate a love for the Razorbacks from this denial-love issue for a head coach.  We're not talking about Bear Bryant here. 
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

5 little pigs

As far as the investigation excuse, if you are the head coach of a football program, and the AD buddy is providing jobs to players, you as the coach should have some idea of what they are doing AND the AD should have an inkling of an idea as well.  Broyles is just as responsible (if not more) than Nutt and THEY BOTH SHOULD GO, NOW!!!!