Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Holtz comments on Arkansas

Started by rzrbacknTX, October 18, 2005, 11:32:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkeyefan17

Lou Holtz likes Arkansas, he picked the Razorbacks to beat Alabama a few weeks back.

JackJohnson

Quote from: drakehog on October 18, 2005, 05:20:07 pm
Quote from: Shizzle on October 18, 2005, 05:18:10 pm
I heard Jackson say that on the OU-Texas game the other day another classic from him. except he said. "Some speedsters play football and some football players are speedsters" referring to Texas freshman running back "that is a football player that is a speedster"

yeah, it's a great quote. We sign a lot of speedsters and hope we can teach them to play football. Our percentage of that working out is low.
Most every coach who was working the SEC in 1998 will tell you that Arkansas didn't match up with the top teams in speed, but I guaran-damn-tee you we had some football players on that team (and our speed may have been underrated by Fulmer et al., since until we tried not to lose the game we were smoking Fulmer's eventual national champions). The other knock on that team, from Fulmer and Sherrill who both barely beat us, was that the eight teams we had played leading up to the UT game weren't power running teams and they (UT and MSU) would cause us problems with the power game. That, ultimately, was NOT what beat us those games.

Another good quote on speed. I asked Orlando Watters about his 40 speed. He admitted he'd been timed in 4.6 mostly. But y'all will remember Watters for one of the greatest punt returns in UA history, at Tennessee in that 1992 upset. He said, "It ain't all about the 40 time."

I want speed on the field, but not when it's not in concert with the guys being football players. It's a lot like stength. If strength were so damn important, why doesn't somebody sign up the Olympic weightlifting team?

Hey, i am with you 100% when it comes to football speed and real speed.  However i notice you use the Orlando Watters example quite often, and my question is this.  IF it isn't all about the 40 time, and being a football player who is undersized and a step slow, why didn't Watters play in the NFL for more than a cup of tea?  I mean, surely ALL the NFL teams, save for Seattle where i think he played a little, should have taken his playing ability into account instead of his 40 time- they did that for Rice didn't they??

There are examples for every rule, and Watters, imo, isn't a good one.

What you need to be saying is why can't we get football players with speed, as opposed to speedy guys playing football. 

Don't take it the wrong way, you know where i stand on the nutt issue, as i was THE ORIGINAL DARKSIDER dating back to 1999, and FINALLY people are quoting me verbatim what i have been saying for 6 years, yet no one gives credit where credit is do.  Ho Hum...

socalhogcaller

Quote from: drakehog on October 18, 2005, 05:13:08 pm
Quote from: Hog1751 on October 18, 2005, 03:57:13 pm
Our Schedule next year.
ULM (LR)
USC (FY)
@ VANDY
BAMA (FY)
@ AUBURN
SE MO ST (FY)
OLE MISS (FY)
UTAH ST (FY)
@ S CAROLINA
UTENN (FY)
@ MSU
LSU (LR)

This is why I see light at the end of the tunnel. No I don't think Nutt is a good coach and I don't hink we'lll ever be great with him here. However he's not going anywhere and we all know this, so yes at this point a 10-2 season looks great to me. We have a good QB coming on campus to go along with what is already a good running game. Defense needs to sure up, Im not sold on Herring but Im also not ready to tell him to get the hell out. The defense has improved since the USC game and I can't fault the defense against Auburn when Auburn had possesion of the ball for almost 3/4 of the game. This schedule would appear to me to be the easiest we've had since 98 and no I can't say for sure ole Nuttsack wont "F" it up but I think having a real QB will open a few things up. Im excited about basketball and Im excited about NEXT YEARS football team. I'll either be right and we'll have a good year or I'll be off based and my excitement will be gone after 3 games. We'll see Go Hogs Beat them Dawgs.

looking at that schedule, we could be 8-1 by the time Tennessee comes to town. And I'm starting to sound like Otis. ;D

Who is the loss to?

HawgWyld

Completely off-topic, but I read something from Lou Holtz in the Oct. 21 issue of "The Sporting News." It quoted him him from his days as Arkansas' coach, and he said something along the lines of every team has a set number of obscenities it could use, and he hogged up the entire quota for the Razorbacks. Fun stuff.

Ah, the good ol' days...

hogattack21

Fire everybody except Reggie Herring, he has not had enough time to establish himself as top notch DC here, he was brought into a bad situation. And if we keep Nutt, please for the sake everyones sanity, hire a OC. Maybe Gus Malzahn
It may be wrong, but it sure feels right.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on October 18, 2005, 12:34:52 pm
I bet we fire only one or two assistants, just like last year. From what I've seen, Frank doesn't give a Shiite whether we win games or not, so why would he put any pressure on Nutt to fire assistants or make any positive change whatsoever?

we will have four to six new assistants next year.

e_dub

Quote from: socalhogcaller on October 19, 2005, 01:09:28 pm
Our Schedule next year.
ULM (LR)
USC (FY)
@ VANDY
BAMA (FY)
@ AUBURN
SE MO ST (FY)
OLE MISS (FY)
UTAH ST (FY)
@ S CAROLINA
UTENN (FY)
@ MSU
LSU (LR)

This is why I see light at the end of the tunnel. No I don't think Nutt is a good coach and I don't hink we'lll ever be great with him here. However he's not going anywhere and we all know this, so yes at this point a 10-2 season looks great to me. We have a good QB coming on campus to go along with what is already a good running game. Defense needs to sure up, Im not sold on Herring but Im also not ready to tell him to get the hell out. The defense has improved since the USC game and I can't fault the defense against Auburn when Auburn had possesion of the ball for almost 3/4 of the game. This schedule would appear to me to be the easiest we've had since 98 and no I can't say for sure ole Nuttsack wont "F" it up but I think having a real QB will open a few things up. Im excited about basketball and Im excited about NEXT YEARS football team. I'll either be right and we'll have a good year or I'll be off based and my excitement will be gone after 3 games. We'll see Go Hogs Beat them Dawgs.

looking at that schedule, we could be 8-1 by the time Tennessee comes to town. And I'm starting to sound like Otis. ;D

Who is the loss to?

USC, Bama, Auburn, don't know for sure about South Carolina.  That's three, possibly four.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves people.  We are staring a 2-9 or 3-8 season in the face.

clemensrules01

mustain wont be the 2nd best player on the team when he comes. i believe the top ten will be:

1. McFadden
2. Jones
3. Monk
4. Hillis
5. Olajubutu
6. Mustain
7. Fairchild
8. Barnett
9. Ugoh
10. Baker

McFadden will be the horse that carries the team. i believe mcfadden should get 20 carries a game and jones gets 10-15. mustain throws 20+ times a game. i think monk will have a huge year next year if mustain plays like we all think he can.

Jim Harris

Quote from: JackJohnson on October 19, 2005, 12:56:44 pm
Quote from: drakehog on October 18, 2005, 05:20:07 pm
Quote from: Shizzle on October 18, 2005, 05:18:10 pm
I heard Jackson say that on the OU-Texas game the other day another classic from him. except he said. "Some speedsters play football and some football players are speedsters" referring to Texas freshman running back "that is a football player that is a speedster"

yeah, it's a great quote. We sign a lot of speedsters and hope we can teach them to play football. Our percentage of that working out is low.
Most every coach who was working the SEC in 1998 will tell you that Arkansas didn't match up with the top teams in speed, but I guaran-damn-tee you we had some football players on that team (and our speed may have been underrated by Fulmer et al., since until we tried not to lose the game we were smoking Fulmer's eventual national champions). The other knock on that team, from Fulmer and Sherrill who both barely beat us, was that the eight teams we had played leading up to the UT game weren't power running teams and they (UT and MSU) would cause us problems with the power game. That, ultimately, was NOT what beat us those games.

Another good quote on speed. I asked Orlando Watters about his 40 speed. He admitted he'd been timed in 4.6 mostly. But y'all will remember Watters for one of the greatest punt returns in UA history, at Tennessee in that 1992 upset. He said, "It ain't all about the 40 time."

I want speed on the field, but not when it's not in concert with the guys being football players. It's a lot like stength. If strength were so damn important, why doesn't somebody sign up the Olympic weightlifting team?

Hey, i am with you 100% when it comes to football speed and real speed. However i notice you use the Orlando Watters example quite often, and my question is this. IF it isn't all about the 40 time, and being a football player who is undersized and a step slow, why didn't Watters play in the NFL for more than a cup of tea? I mean, surely ALL the NFL teams, save for Seattle where i think he played a little, should have taken his playing ability into account instead of his 40 time- they did that for Rice didn't they??

There are examples for every rule, and Watters, imo, isn't a good one.

What you need to be saying is why can't we get football players with speed, as opposed to speedy guys playing football.

Don't take it the wrong way, you know where i stand on the nutt issue, as i was THE ORIGINAL DARKSIDER dating back to 1999, and FINALLY people are quoting me verbatim what i have been saying for 6 years, yet no one gives credit where credit is do. Ho Hum...

I thought we're mostly talking about COLLEGE players here. That's why I cite Watters. It doesn't matter where it's Watters or Marcus Monk or who, the quote "It ain't all about the 40 time" is often so aprpos. And just because Clarence Fitzgerald ran a 4.3 40 didn't make him anything of a football player either at UA, just a guy who could run fast.

As for the NFL, maybe Watters couldn't handle the mental aspect of pro football like other players can. I don't know. I know he got some time in the NFL, which is at least some achievement. Why couldn't Cobbs make it? He runs a 4.4 and is 230 pounds.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Jim Harris

Quote from: socalhogcaller on October 19, 2005, 01:09:28 pm
Our Schedule next year.
ULM (LR)
USC (FY)
@ VANDY
BAMA (FY)
@ AUBURN
SE MO ST (FY)
OLE MISS (FY)
UTAH ST (FY)
@ S CAROLINA
UTENN (FY)
@ MSU
LSU (LR)

Who is the loss to?

guess.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

clemensrules01

Jim Harris

Quote from: clemensrules01 on October 19, 2005, 05:00:23 pm
the loss is to vandy.

If Nutt is still coach next year, and he loses again to Vandy, and is not fired on the way back from Nashville, then that's it for me sending even $1 to Fayetteville again. I can stomach a lot, and have, but that would be even worse than this year, and this year was Citadel-like. He should be fired this year. We're the only [CENSORED] school in the country that would put up with this darn. because he's "one of us" whatever that darn means? He left the UA once, as a player. I wish he'd leave again.

clemensrules01

"We" put up with it? we cant do anything about it. broyles puts up with it.

Call Mr. Sow

Quote from: clemensrules01 on October 19, 2005, 05:07:18 pm
"We" put up with it? we cant do anything about it. broyles puts up with it.

You put up with it every time you sign a check to them.

HogsRule

Quote from: Call Mr. Sow on October 18, 2005, 03:33:15 pm
  And that's it. There's just no one on the hill that gives a crap about winning any longer.

I am sick of hearing this. Its a bunch of crap. You honestly believe that Frank or Nutt or whoever doesn't care about winning. Even if I accept the argument that they care more about money then winning, wouldn't you think they would make more money if we won?
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogsRule on October 20, 2005, 05:42:17 pm
And that's it. There's just no one on the hill that gives a crap about winning any longer.

I am sick of hearing this. Its a bunch of crap. You honestly believe that Frank or Nutt or whoever doesn't care about winning. Even if I accept the argument that they care more about money then winning, wouldn't you think they would make more money if we won?

You would think somebody in charge would do something that stands a chance of improving the winning part.  If you are right that is.
[CENSORED]!

abraHAM_lincoln

Eyesight and sanity must be the first things to go, when you get his age...  I have no confidence what-so-ever in HDN.

HogsRule

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 20, 2005, 06:47:39 pm
Quote from: HogsRule on October 20, 2005, 05:42:17 pm

You would think somebody in charge would do something that stands a chance of improving the winning part. If you are right that is.

In their mind (and mine) keeping Nutt is the best thing for the program at this point in time. you may not agree, but no one has a crystal ball. Changing the coach might mean a SEC title or more in 3 years, it might also mean we go in the toilet for 3 more years and are coach shopping again. Keeping the coach we might turn it around and compete for a title, or its one year (or less) in the toilet and Nutt is gone.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

return2glory

Quote from: CabotHog on October 18, 2005, 03:28:03 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on October 18, 2005, 03:19:57 pm
Quote from: return2glory on October 18, 2005, 02:03:41 pm

I've always wondered if our rushing stats could possibly be construed as a little bloated since we run the draw on 3rd and 25? Just an observation.

Return - let me be the first to pat you on the back - this IS indeed a great point.

Bacon out...

If the play worked, then we could think that. However, considering we hardly ever get more than five yards, I'd say no.

Oh there's no doubt that it doesn't work. But I've got to think that we have to be one of the few teams in all of God's creation that would run on 3rd and forever. Considering that we face that situation quite a bit, I would say that we get 20-30 yds on plays where most teams would have thrown the ball. My point was not that it works. My point was that we are the only team in America that makes calls like that.