Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NC coaches with Arkansas ties

Started by B517, October 17, 2005, 01:16:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

B517

these have left the state to win a Championship. Why do we have to suffer through HDN?

Bear Bryant, Lou Holtz, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and some would say Tubby

Money?  no -  Wal Mart Tyson, Reynolds, JB Hunt, Stephens, tec....

Can't recruit here? no - they do it Norman, OK    Blacksburg,  VA   Lubbock, tx

Facilities?  no   -  some of the best in the Nation

That leaves coaching by process of elimination!

lumphog

The next WILL be Butch Davis [HE IS THE MAN FOR THE JOB] if we don`t get him, watch history repeat it self. We`re about to BLOW another chance.

hogsanity

Quote from: B517 on October 17, 2005, 01:16:54 pm
these have left the state to win a Championship. Why do we have to suffer through HDN?

Bear Bryant, Lou Holtz, Barry Switzer, Jimmy Johnson, and some would say Tubby

Money? no - Wal Mart Tyson, Reynolds, JB Hunt, Stephens, tec....

Can't recruit here? no - they do it Norman, OK Blacksburg, VA Lubbock, tx

Facilities? no - some of the best in the Nation

That leaves coaching by process of elimination!

HMM I didnt know Vtech and Texas tech had won NC, oh wait they haven't. If you are gonna throw around names and NC coaches, at least get the schools right. 

As for the coaches, Maybe they all left because they didnt think they could win here.  Plus, the only guy on your list that was ever HC here is Holtz, and he dang sure knew he couildnt win a NC here, because apparently you cant get quality Dl to come her.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

B517

I didn't say tt and vt had championships, but they have top 10 programs at places not nearly as nice as NWA. Point was not that they were HC's but if u read i said Arkansas ties. Ever been to Auburn , AL? Athens, GA?    You most defintley can recruit to NWA.

lumphog

Quote from: B517 on October 17, 2005, 02:05:10 pm
I didn't say tt and vt had championships, but they have top 10 programs at places not nearly as nice as NWA. Point was not that they were HC's but if u read i said Arkansas ties. Ever been to Auburn , AL? Athens, GA? You most defintley can recruit to NWA.
I believe this NWA is a beautiful area, IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME!!

hogsanity

I didn't say tt and vt had championships, but they have top 10 programs at places not nearly as nice as NWA. Point was not that they were HC's but if u read i said Arkansas ties. Ever been to Auburn , AL? Athens, GA? You most defintley can recruit to NWA.

there are 25 or more d1 schools with facilities as nice as ours.  THe difference is the number of d1 recruits within 150 miles of those schools.  And I dont buy TT for one minute.  Let them play someone with an actual defense and we will see just how good they are.  I may be wrong but I bet Texas lights them up by at least 25. 

Also, in my opinion, when comparing schools, it should only be done among other SEC schools.  And the elite schools in the sec get more players from within 150 miles of campus than we get period. 

So, a ton of coaches have Ar ties.  Pete Carrol coached here.  Didnt Bill Parcells coach here for like a year too.  THought I heard that somewhere. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: lumphog on October 17, 2005, 02:10:03 pm

And just what do we have that places like Gainsville, Athens, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, do not have?  Lets see, we have bars, they have bars.  We have good looking girls, so do they.  Nice neighborhoods, yep.  Nice people, I am sure those places have nice people.  Now we do have Walmart, Tyson and Jb Hunt. 

Sorry, dont see one thing to convince some 18 yr old blue chip stud from Cali to come her over any other d1 schools with half a chance to win some title. 

lumphog

It`s hard to find a successful coach that dosen`t have Arkansas ties. SO, how did we get in this shape in the first place?

hogsanity

October 17, 2005, 02:19:17 pm #8 Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 02:21:23 pm by hogsanity
Quote from: lumphog on October 17, 2005, 02:17:20 pm
It`s hard to find a successful coach that dosen`t have Arkansas ties. SO, how did we get in this shape in the first place?

Perhaps these coaches all thought they couldn't win here so they never really tried to stay or come back?

lumphog

Most of them were R_U_N_D   O_F_T .

sooie dog

Perhaps these coaches all thought they couldn't win here so they never really tried to stay or come back?

JFB is the reason. 

hoggystyle78

excuse me if i'm wrong, but didn't Holtz go 11-1 or 10-2 while waxing OU's a$$?!, I think we finished the year 2nd or 3rd in the polls, that's a helluva lot better than this darn we're having to watch on saturdays now!

HogsRule

I didn't say tt and vt had championships, but they have top 10 programs at places not nearly as nice as NWA. 
umm... yeah you did, look at your title.
**Judgement on coaches withheld pending further information**

No Hate Zone

uofajoe99

I nominate Hoophog for President of the Darkside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

corndo

October 17, 2005, 11:11:05 pm #14 Last Edit: October 17, 2005, 11:13:45 pm by corndo
Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2005, 02:14:51 pm
Quote from: lumphog on October 17, 2005, 02:10:03 pm

Yes, it is true that all of those places do have those things so I guess the thing that seperates them from us is the fact that all of those school have a coach.

And just what do we have that places like Gainsville, Athens, Baton Rouge, Tuscaloosa, do not have? Lets see, we have bars, they have bars. We have good looking girls, so do they. Nice neighborhoods, yep. Nice people, I am sure those places have nice people. Now we do have Walmart, Tyson and Jb Hunt.

Sorry, dont see one thing to convince some 18 yr old blue chip stud from Cali to come her over any other d1 schools with half a chance to win some title.

Yes, it is true that all of those places have those thing, so I guess the only thing that they have that we don't is a coach.

HogsRule

Quote from: ConwayHog on October 18, 2005, 12:00:42 am
Are hogsanity/hogsrule Nutthuggers? Sure sound like it. Keep on playing your little games. Everyone knew they were talking about the recruiting bases these schools have.

BullSh!t. Those schools have done nothing yet. 1 good year and they are on the level of NC coaches? He didn't have enough examples so he pulled out some other guys that happen to have 1 good year. Just because we are in a downswing now, do not compare those programs as being above ours. They play in weaker conferences and haven't actually won anything yet. If I were to claim crap like that I would have 24 posts in under a minute about how I didn't have my facts right and I must be an idiot. And just because the other coaches had success at perrenial powerhouses doesn't mean they would have any success with our recruiting base.

No Hate Zone

HogInGermany

there are 25 or more d1 schools with facilities as nice as ours. THe difference is the number of d1 recruits within 150 miles of those schools. And I dont buy TT for one minute. Let them play someone with an actual defense and we will see just how good they are. I may be wrong but I bet Texas lights them up by at least 25.

What do you think Texas Tech's schedule would be this year against Arkansas's schedule?
I'm betting they would have a tad bit more than 2 wins at this point.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogInGermany on October 18, 2005, 09:09:24 am
there are 25 or more d1 schools with facilities as nice as ours. THe difference is the number of d1 recruits within 150 miles of those schools. And I dont buy TT for one minute. Let them play someone with an actual defense and we will see just how good they are. I may be wrong but I bet Texas lights them up by at least 25.

What do you think Texas Tech's schedule would be this year against Arkansas's schedule?
I'm betting they would have a tad bit more than 2 wins at this point.

Maybe.  I am sure they beat mizz st and la monroe.  And they most likely beat Vandy.  THey also lose to USC, And i imagine Bama.  I also do not think they could stop Aubs run game.  Heck, Neb, with that p poor O they have, put up 28 on them.

As for where coaches come from.  Miami of Ohio is called the craddle of coaches, yet when was the last time they won a NC or a BCS bowl?   

Kevin n Hog Heaven

Man a whole bunch of Nutt lovin from Sanity! Its real simple. We dont get the blue chippers cause there really isnt a reason to come here. We dont win. Winning gets you recruits. If we were competing for titles and championships we would get those players. Oh and we wouldnt be having these kinda conversations either.

razorback4life

Quote from: HogsRule on October 18, 2005, 09:05:09 am
If I were to claim crap like that I would have 24 posts in under a minute about how I didn't have my facts right and I must be an idiot. And just because the other coaches had success at perrenial powerhouses doesn't mean they would have any success with our recruiting base.

You didn't get your facts right and you must be an idiot.  Happy now HogsRule?   ;D  JK!

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin n Hog Heaven on October 18, 2005, 09:36:55 am
Man a whole bunch of Nutt lovin from Sanity! Its real simple. We dont get the blue chippers cause there really isnt a reason to come here. We dont win. Winning gets you recruits. If we were competing for titles and championships we would get those players. Oh and we wouldnt be having these kinda conversations either.

So you have to win to get the top players?  Yet, dont you have to have the top players to win?  I hear both on here, but both statement can not be true.

Winning=recruits and recruits=wins  So which comes first?

razorback4life

Quote from: hogsanity on October 18, 2005, 10:24:22 am
Quote from: Kevin n Hog Heaven on October 18, 2005, 09:36:55 am

So you have to win to get the top players? Yet, dont you have to have the top players to win? I hear both on here, but both statement can not be true.

Winning=recruits and recruits=wins So which comes first?

Its obvious to me that we will never find out what the answer is under Nutt!!

e_dub

Showing players you have a viable plan to get better and you have a strategy to work the plan attracts good players.  That's something a lot of people call "vision". Those players then help you win when you implement your plan.  HDN doesn't seem to have a plan or any vision.  It's almost as if he throws spaghetti on the wall to see what sticks.

HogsRule

Quote from: HoopHog on October 18, 2005, 10:29:08 am
Quote from: ConwayHog on October 18, 2005, 10:23:15 am
Are hogsanity/hogsrule Nutthuggers? Sure sound like it. Keep on playing your little games. Everyone knew they were talking about the recruiting bases these schools have.
BullSh!t. Those schools have done nothing yet. 1 good year and they are on the level of NC coaches? He didn't have enough examples so he pulled out some other guys that happen to have 1 good year. Just because we are in a downswing now, do not compare those programs as being above ours. They play in weaker conferences and haven't actually won anything yet. If I were to claim crap like that I would have 24 posts in under a minute about how I didn't have my facts right and I must be an idiot. And just because the other coaches had success at perrenial powerhouses doesn't mean they would have any success with our recruiting base.

Nope, VT hasn't done squat. Beamer just built that program from nothing. Most of his roster is from Virginia, but he's not sitting in the middle of FL or anything. He just went to the NC title game around 99 or 2000. He won the ACC last year and looks to be a pretty good bet to do the same. They're on ESPN all the time as the #3 ranked team and have been good for years. They're special teams are as solid as they come. Their D coordinator has been with Beamer the entire team and runs a very solid defense. Texas Tech has been good the last several years, not great but good. OU goes into Texas and gets recruits because they win. Those three schools don't have a ton of talent around them but they win. They also stay in the Top 25 each year.
One of the fastest rises to national prominence since Florida State's.  Yes, they play in an incredibly lame ass conference too - the ACC.  Let's see...Hmmmm, Va Tech, Florida State, Miami, Boston College, Virginia?  From a BCS perspective let's take a look - the #3 (Va Tech), #8 (Miami), #11 (Florida State), #12 (Boston College) teams in the country.  Yep, this conference is crap!!! 

Actually, I didn't realize how much V Tech has been ranked and how good they've been in the last 12 years. But Beamer didn't build from nothing. V Tech had 7 straight winning seasons before Beamer got there. The year before he got there they went 10-1.

this actually makes my point:
In his first 5 years he had 4 losing seasons.The 3rd year he had 6 wins then 5-6 and 2-8. Then in his 6th and 7th year 9 then 8 wins. If people had cut this guy loose when he was down they never would have risen back up to national prominence or at least it would have taken longer.
Nutt has now had 2 straight losing seasons (or its looking that way) give him a chance to pull it back up next year. Beamer had 2 back to back losing seasons, they kept him, and look where they are now.

No Hate Zone

Kevin n Hog Heaven

You have to have a foundation and vision to sell to the recruits. Right now as a program what do we have to sell?

HogsRule

Quote from: ConwayHog on October 18, 2005, 12:43:04 pm
Weel
Quote from: HogsRule on October 18, 2005, 12:06:04 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on October 18, 2005, 10:29:08 am
Quote from: ConwayHog on October 18, 2005, 10:23:15 am

Nope, VT hasn't done squat. Beamer just built that program from nothing. Most of his roster is from Virginia, but he's not sitting in the middle of FL or anything. He just went to the NC title game around 99 or 2000. He won the ACC last year and looks to be a pretty good bet to do the same. They're on ESPN all the time as the #3 ranked team and have been good for years. They're special teams are as solid as they come. Their D coordinator has been with Beamer the entire team and runs a very solid defense. Texas Tech has been good the last several years, not great but good. OU goes into Texas and gets recruits because they win. Those three schools don't have a ton of talent around them but they win. They also stay in the Top 25 each year.
One of the fastest rises to national prominence since Florida State's. Yes, they play in an incredibly lame ass conference too - the ACC. Let's see...Hmmmm, Va Tech, Florida State, Miami, Boston College, Virginia? From a BCS perspective let's take a look - the #3 (Va Tech), #8 (Miami), #11 (Florida State), #12 (Boston College) teams in the country. Yep, this conference is crap!!!

Actually, I didn't realize how much V Tech has been ranked and how good they've been in the last 12 years. But Beamer didn't build from nothing. V Tech had 7 straight winning seasons before Beamer got there. The year before he got there they went 10-1.

this actually makes my point:
In his first 5 years he had 4 losing seasons.The 3rd year he had 6 wins then 5-6 and 2-8. Then in his 6th and 7th year 9 then 8 wins. If people had cut this guy loose when he was down they never would have risen back up to national prominence or at least it would have taken longer.
Nutt has now had 2 straight losing seasons (or its looking that way) give him a chance to pull it back up next year. Beamer had 2 back to back losing seasons, they kept him, and look where they are now.

Well, lets just make the comparison then.

Beamer-Delegates, Nutt-Micromanager
Beamer-Best Special Teams in the country, Nutt-Middle of the road to Poor in the NCAA
Beamer-Top Rated Defenses, Nutt-Not even close
Beamer-Wins 10 games a year, Nutt-Doubtful???

Ok lets go. Winning percentage first 7 years

Beamer 43%  Nutt 61%  and that was in the SEC not the BIG EAST. 

Beamer would have been run out of town with his record the first 6 years if he was here. 

My point is not that Beamer is a bad coach, he's a great coach, but he was given time to come back twice after his losing seasons.

No Hate Zone

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HogsRule on October 18, 2005, 02:48:10 pm
My point is not that Beamer is a bad coach, he's a great coach, but he was given time to come back twice after his losing seasons.

And for the bazillionth time...

Beamer was hired RIGHT AFTER Virginia Tech went on FOUR-YEAR PROBATION.

His team slumped because HE COULD NOT RECRUIT and THE COMPETITION SUDDENLY GOT TOUGHER because for the first time Va Tech got into a TOUGH CONFERENCE.

He was allowed to continue because VIRGINIA TECH HAD A MULTI-YEAR BOWL BAN and NO HISTORY OF ANY SUSTAINED SUCCESS WHATSOEVER.

They had maybe been to two minor bowl games ever.

Nevertheless, he was under serious pressure to win in year seven NOT YEAR EIGHT and he DID IT and KEPT IT GOING.

Winning at Virginia Tech DID NOT MATERIALIZE OUT OF THIN AIR, it was visible because after the first few years ON PROBATION WITH A BOWL BAN Beamer recruited VERY WELL.

Beamer has three particular qualities--he is very well organized, he is a defensive mind, and he is a special team genius.

ALL THREE OF THESE ARE PARTICULAR WEAKNESSES OF HOUSTON NUTT.

Blow away the dust when you're done.
[CENSORED]!

NEAHAWG

I didn't know VT was on probation when Beamer got there, that explains the early losses.

HogsRule

October 21, 2005, 08:47:14 am #28 Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 08:49:00 am by HogsRule
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 21, 2005, 12:02:26 am

His team slumped because HE COULD NOT RECRUIT and THE COMPETITION SUDDENLY GOT TOUGHER because for the first time Va Tech got into a TOUGH CONFERENCE.

He was allowed to continue because VIRGINIA TECH HAD A MULTI-YEAR BOWL BAN and NO HISTORY OF ANY SUSTAINED SUCCESS WHATSOEVER.

Nevertheless, he was under serious pressure to win in year seven NOT YEAR EIGHT and he DID IT and KEPT IT GOING.

Winning at Virginia Tech DID NOT MATERIALIZE OUT OF THIN AIR, it was visible because after the first few years ON PROBATION WITH A BOWL BAN Beamer recruited VERY WELL.

Beamer has three particular qualities--he is very well organized, he is a defensive mind, and he is a special team genius.

All the great coaching qualities about Beamer were discovered well into his career at VT because until then they SUCKED. I'm pretty sure the VT faithful didn't think too much of him after his 6th year.  Nutt had success immediately and I believe he has shown he can win in this league. So the point is look what can happen when you are patient with a coach.

by the way no bowl ban:
"Virginia Tech
Violation: Under AD and coach Bill Dooley, football program allegedly had awarded too many scholarships for several years. At one point, Tech had 114 players on scholarships -- 19 over the NCAA limit at that time.
Major penalties: Loss of 18 scholarships
Severity of sanctions: 2 (out of 5)
Notable: Told that he wouldn't be retained, Dooley quit and sued Virginia Tech, eventually winning a $1 million out-of-court settlement. During the scandal, the school president and Dooley's successor in the athletics director's job also resigned. Gov. Gerald Baliles criticized the athletics department during the school's commencement ceremony. New coach Frank Beamer was left to pick up the pieces."

Dust gone.

No Hate Zone

razorback4life

Quote from: HogsRule on October 21, 2005, 08:47:14 am

All the great coaching qualities about Beamer were discovered well into his career at VT because until then they SUCKED. I'm pretty sure the VT faithful didn't think too much of him after his 6th year.  Nutt had success immediately and I believe he has shown he can win in this league. So the point is look what can happen when you are patient with a coach.

by the way no bowl ban:
"Virginia Tech
Violation: Under AD and coach Bill Dooley, football program allegedly had awarded too many scholarships for several years. At one point, Tech had 114 players on scholarships -- 19 over the NCAA limit at that time.
Notable: Told that he wouldn't be retained, Dooley quit and sued Virginia Tech, eventually winning a $1 million out-of-court settlement. During the scandal, the school president and Dooley's successor in the athletics director's job also resigned. Gov. Gerald Baliles criticized the athletics department during the school's commencement ceremony. New coach Frank Beamer was left to pick up the pieces."

Dust gone.

So are you saying that you think Nutt should be given another chance and we should be patient with him another 8 years?  Beamer was making forward progress during his losing seasons and problems with the NCAA at VT, Nutt is going backward.  VT was nothing..absolutely nothing and had nothing to build on which made it that much harder to get where they are now.  Arkansas has a lot more going for them than what VT has.  Good coaches don't rely on excuses for not doing their job well, they go out and make things happen and work even harder to overcome adversities.

HogsRule

Quote from: pseudorabies on October 21, 2005, 09:03:44 am
Quote from: HogsRule on October 21, 2005, 08:47:14 am

All the great coaching qualities about Beamer were discovered well into his career at VT because until then they SUCKED. I'm pretty sure the VT faithful didn't think too much of him after his 6th year. Nutt had success immediately and I believe he has shown he can win in this league. So the point is look what can happen when you are patient with a coach.

by the way no bowl ban:
"Virginia Tech

Dust gone.

So are you saying that you think Nutt should be given another chance and we should be patient with him another 8 years? Beamer was making forward progress during his losing seasons and problems with the NCAA at VT, Nutt is going backward. VT was nothing..absolutely nothing and had nothing to build on which made it that much harder to get where they are now. Arkansas has a lot more going for them than what VT has. Good coaches don't rely on excuses for not doing their job well, they go out and make things happen and work even harder to overcome adversities.

look at his record 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons and tell me they were going in the right direction. The 80's they had some pretty good seasons and multiple bowl appearances.

Now you are saying their sanctions affected their recruiting, but ours didn't?

Nutt should get one more year. he's had 2 disappointing seasons in a row not 8 .

No Hate Zone