Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corliss!!!!!

Started by moses_007, May 12, 2015, 12:34:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

The only Arkansas player to win both an NCAA championship and an NBA championship.  We need to find some more players like Corliss.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/athletes-who-have-won-both-ncaa-and-nba-championships/ss-AAbvUyU#image=32

moses_007

A great article here on our 1994 National Championship experience.  I still have a VHS videotape of the Arkansas-Arizona semi-final game, and our championship game over Duke.  I watch it often, and I have never gotten tired of reliving that glorious championship season.

http://www.hogdb.com/2014/04/04/arkansass-1994-ncaa-basketball-championship/

yraciv

Yeah because Corliss's grow on trees. We just had one and he left after 2 years.  We need a team, not just 1 specific indivdual.

latrops

Quote from: yraciv on May 12, 2015, 02:17:39 am
Yeah because Corliss's grow on trees. We just had one and he left after 2 years.  We need a team, not just 1 specific indivdual.

There is quite a bit of truth in that last line.  Corliss was great.  We don't win a title without him.  But he doesn't win one without really good players and coaches around him.  We've had really good players since Corliss, guys like Joe Johnson and Bobby Portis...we just haven't had a complete team since then.  We are gradually improving our roster, but it's going to be tough to take that next step if we don't either land a great recruiting class AND/OR get a star player or two to occasionally choose to play college ball over going pro for an extra year or two.

If the point of this thread is we need more players like Corliss, I agree with that.  Based on history, there's a player of his quality about once every 10-15 years that comes out of Arkansas.  Sidney - Corliss - Joe Johnson - Portis. (I know Portis doesn't belong in their category yet, but he quite likely will).  Here's a trend, we kept those players 4 years, 3 years, 2 years and 2 years. 

WarPig88

Quote from: latrops on May 12, 2015, 09:02:25 am
There is quite a bit of truth in that last line.  Corliss was great.  We don't win a title without him.  But he doesn't win one without really good players and coaches around him.  We've had really good players since Corliss, guys like Joe Johnson and Bobby Portis...we just haven't had a complete team since then.  We are gradually improving our roster, but it's going to be tough to take that next step if we don't either land a great recruiting class AND/OR get a star player or two to occasionally choose to play college ball over going pro for an extra year or two.

Corliss didn't play with a bunch of highly rated classes either. The only other highly rated player on the team was Darnell Robinson. In spite of what Guv will say, the rest were more regional type recruits than national recruits.

moses_007

That 94-95 team had shooters that could shoot from anywhere.  Mike needs to be recruiting shooters, not fast guys who can play pressing defense but can't score.  Nolan's teams could do both..........

Granny

I'd settle for more Arkansas Razorback players that have just won a NCAA championship.  ;)

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Karma on May 12, 2015, 09:33:46 am
If the point of this thread is we need more players like Corliss, I agree with that.  Based on history, there's a player of his quality about once every 10-15 years that comes out of Arkansas.  Sidney - Corliss - Joe Johnson - Portis. (I know Portis doesn't belong in their category yet, but he quite likely will).  Here's a trend, we kept those players 4 years, 3 years, 2 years and 2 years. 

You gotta throw ronnie brewer in there, in my opinion.
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Granny fan

He left after his Jr. year, and he played as a freshman.  That's three.

The Boar War

Quote from: Granny fan on May 12, 2015, 09:12:08 pm

He left after his Jr. year, and he played as a freshman.  That's three.

Believe he was referring to Portis.

Inhogswetrust

May 13, 2015, 08:52:50 am #11 Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:54:17 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: latrops on May 12, 2015, 09:02:25 am

You couldn't count on one finger those that have won both without at least one of those two variables.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

rwspear

bp was no corliss

yraciv

Quote from: rwspear on May 13, 2015, 12:59:26 pm
bp was no corliss

Obviously, but he is the closest we've had. Who knows what would have happened if he stayed another year or if he had Corliss's team around him. Just saying SEC player of the years don't grow on trees.

nextlevel

Quote from: WarPig88 on May 12, 2015, 09:36:46 am
Corliss didn't play with a bunch of highly rated classes either. The only other highly rated player on the team was Darnell Robinson. In spite of what Guv will say, the rest were more regional type recruits than national recruits.

The rest were not even regional type recruits, they were guys who would be labeled as "juco gambles" and "late scrambles" by some on this board...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell