Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Need to panic, Things are looking up

Started by NS02, May 07, 2015, 09:43:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NS02

May 07, 2015, 09:43:01 pm Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 02:42:17 pm by NS02
We had a taste of success, looking forward to perhaps a Sweet 16 next year, then we got punched under the ribs, when we lost 4 players and 65% of our production.  If we thought "the sky is falling", no blame, we all had a sick stomach...here we go again.  Here are our present players: Bell, Beard, Williams, Watkins, Durham, Miles, Thompson and redshirt transfer Dusty Hannahs.  I like this team as it is.  It has ball handlers, shooters, and couple of big men to score, defend and rebound.  Coach A quietly has been cooking in his kitchen and he is about to deliver a meal that can bring back the good taste again.  Sunday we got the word that Dustin Thomas (6-7, 225) is transferring from Colorado to AR.  He was a former player from Texarkana, Texas who scored 20 points, 14 rebounds, 6 steels per game for pleasant Grove.  Visiting this weekend, Ebuka Izundu form Charlotte NC Victory Christian.  He has offensive and defensive skills that can closely fill in the Portis spot.  We have a pretty good chance of getting him.  I have heard a lot of chest beating here about KeVaughn Allen.  I was about to write guys forget it, enough beating the dead horse.  With Donovan leaving, all of a sudden the life came back on the subject.  On Bo Mattingly's radio show, his stepfather announced that Allen has asked for his release, and that AR was always on his top three list, and "there is interest in AR.." and "he never disliked AR".  I think they are knocking on the door, we just need to open the door and say "welcome".  LeGerald Vick, Memphis Prep star, has decommitted  from SMU, is considering AR.  You add all of these to outstanding player in Whitt and Kapita coming, that pushes the sky up a little instead of falling.
Friday 8th Update:
* Ebuka Izundu and his coach will arrive here tonight.
* Tyler Cook (6-9, 235) from St Louise Chaminade College Prep has AR on top 6.  Other five are: FL, Iowa, Iowa ST, MO, & Vir.
* K. Allen and another commit Noah Dickson will meet with new FL coach, Michael White and take it from there.     

gogamer

Quote from: NS02 on May 07, 2015, 09:43:01 pm
We had a taste of success, looking forward to perhaps a Sweet 16 next year, then we got punched under the ribs, when we lost 4 players and 65% of our production.  If we thought "the sky is falling", no blame, we all had a sick stomach...here we go again.  Here are our present players: Bell, Beard, Williams, Watkins, Durham, Miles, Thompson and redshirt transfer Dusty Hannahs.  I like this team as it is.  It has ball handlers, shooters, and couple of big men to score, defend and rebound.  Coach A quietly has been cooking in his kitchen and he is about to deliver a meal that can bring back the good taste again.  Sunday we got the word that Dustin Thomas (6-7, 225) is transferring from Colorado to AR.  He was a former player from Texarkana, Texas who scored 20 points, 14 rebounds, 6 steels per game for pleasant Grove.  Visiting this weekend, Ebuka Izundu form Charlotte NC Victory Christian.  He has offensive and defensive skills that can closely fill in the Portis spot.  We have a pretty good chance of getting him.  I have heard a lot of chest beating here about KeVaughn Allen.  I was about to write guys forget it, enough beating the dead horse.  With Donovan leaving, all of a sudden the life came back on the subject.  On Bo Mattingly's radio show, his stepfather announced that Allen has asked for his release, and that AR was always on his top three list, and "there is interest in AR.." and "he never disliked AR".  I think they are knocking on the door, we just need to open the door and say "welcome".  LeGerald Vick, Memphis Prep star, has decommitted  from SMU, is considering AR.  You add all of these to outstanding player in Whitt and Kapita coming, that pushes the sky up a little instead of falling.     

Kingsley

NS02

Thanks for reminding me.  Of course, Kingsley

Thepigdoctor

We are entering a very important couple weeks. If we can land EI, KA, then you've got a class with 4 4 star players, who bigs that are incredible rebounders and defenders, and two guards that can flat fill it up. (Including Whitt and Kapita)

Those four coming in would collectively be a talent upgrade over what we lost, just without experience. I doubt any of them are quite Portis talent, but all four are a cut below with ceilings much higher than Madden, Harris, and even Qualls (sorry, he's never going to have the jump shot to make it in the NBA - hope he proves me wrong).

Combined with what we have, the potential for an extremely fun season is there. Now if we land Vick, it's officially time to ban anyone who tries to knock MA's recruiting ability.  A class like this lays the foundation to bring in another star studded 2016 class, which if comes anywhere close to potential, could easily turn us into a legit elite 8 team.

Amazing, just a couple weeks ago, this place would have had you convinced Mike was a fool who had no clue what he was doing. Next thing you know, he's got us right on the verge of actually taking another step forward as we bring in one of our most talented classes ever.

hawginbigd1

Just thought I would point out that Madden was higher rated than anybody we are on, or anybody on the roster.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 08, 2015, 12:35:55 am
Just thought I would point out that Madden was higher rated than anybody we are on, or anybody on the roster.
And Qualls was rated lower than the guys we're recruiting. The door swings both ways.

nonoffensiveposter

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 07, 2015, 11:06:33 pm
We are entering a very important couple weeks. If we can land EI, KA, then you've got a class with 4 4 star players, who bigs that are incredible rebounders and defenders, and two guards that can flat fill it up. (Including Whitt and Kapita)

Those four coming in would collectively be a talent upgrade over what we lost, just without experience. I doubt any of them are quite Portis talent, but all four are a cut below with ceilings much higher than Madden, Harris, and even Qualls (sorry, he's never going to have the jump shot to make it in the NBA - hope he proves me wrong).

Combined with what we have, the potential for an extremely fun season is there. Now if we land Vick, it's officially time to ban anyone who tries to knock MA's recruiting ability.  A class like this lays the foundation to bring in another star studded 2016 class, which if comes anywhere close to potential, could easily turn us into a legit elite 8 team.

Amazing, just a couple weeks ago, this place would have had you convinced Mike was a fool who had no clue what he was doing. Next thing you know, he's got us right on the verge of actually taking another step forward as we bring in one of our most talented classes ever.

All we got are Witt and Kapita. You sound foolish praising Anderson for essentially just recruiting other players. IF KA comes here it is essentially by default because he if from here and the place he really wanted to go lost their CBB Hall of Fame coach to the NBA. I have seen nothing that indicated that we have a legitimate shot at landing Izundu, oh wait he's visiting, nevermind, he is a Razorback lock.

Here is the reality. In 4 years, MA has 1 tourney appearance and 1 tourney win. Somehow I am trying to wrap my mind around how after 4 years, it is apparent that his 5th year is set up to be his worst. MA has no plan, he just seems to wing it from year to year. Any success next year will be predicated upon the talents of 2 incoming freshmen, one of which hasn't played in a year because of injuries. Our best returning players (Bell, Williams and Beard) averaged 8,5 and 6 ppg. Our returning inside guy is Kingsley who averaged 4ppg 3 rpg and 1 blk. Trey Thompson is the 1st 6'10 player in the last 20 years to redshirt, not because he transferred or was inured, but because he wasn't ready to contribute. YIKES!

TomBigBeeHog

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

wheelspigharvey

247 says otherwise, not that they are the first and last word.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ky-Madden-59059
*** // #152 National // #31 PG

http://247sports.com/Player/Jimmy-Whitt-32136
**** // #65 Nat // #19 SG

http://247sports.com/Player/Ted-Kapita-29968
**** // #55 Nat // #13 SF

Hollywood_HOGan45

That class back in 2011 that was supposed to save our basketball program was way way overrated.

We had fans that were afraid to fire the worst coach we've ever had (Pel) because this class was supposed to be that good.
Turned out Madden was the only one of them that led us to anything. BJ was good but he was trying to play himself into the NBA asap. Hunter was weak, Devonta gained too much weight, and Aaron Ross never even made it to campus.

UNCLE BACK

Yes, Madden played agaist 2A schools in High School compared to KA who played the best. Madden was decent but KA is much better. I saw them both play in High School. Cant speak for Whitt but Id say he is better too...

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on May 08, 2015, 08:19:11 am
All we got are Witt and Kapita. You sound foolish praising Anderson for essentially just recruiting other players. IF KA comes here it is essentially by default because he if from here and the place he really wanted to go lost their CBB Hall of Fame coach to the NBA. I have seen nothing that indicated that we have a legitimate shot at landing Izundu, oh wait he's visiting, nevermind, he is a Razorback lock.

Here is the reality. In 4 years, MA has 1 tourney appearance and 1 tourney win. Somehow I am trying to wrap my mind around how after 4 years, it is apparent that his 5th year is set up to be his worst. MA has no plan, he just seems to wing it from year to year. Any success next year will be predicated upon the talents of 2 incoming freshmen, one of which hasn't played in a year because of injuries. Our best returning players (Bell, Williams and Beard) averaged 8,5 and 6 ppg. Our returning inside guy is Kingsley who averaged 4ppg 3 rpg and 1 blk. Trey Thompson is the 1st 6'10 player in the last 20 years to redshirt, not because he transferred or was inured, but because he wasn't ready to contribute. YIKES!

No way next year is worse than year one.

Mike's job is not to check in with you to make sure he has a plan that you understand and agree with.  It's to win games by bringing in dudes and getting them to play.  If you can't see that he's doing just that then you can't be helped.

Thepigdoctor

I sound foolish and you are saying Trey Thompson redshirted last season? Hmmm

hawginbigd1

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 08, 2015, 09:04:18 am

That must be some revisionist history right there, he was top 30 and top 40 everywhere I saw back then.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 08, 2015, 09:32:30 am
That must be some revisionist history right there, he was top 30 and top 40 everywhere I saw back then.

Revisionist history or 247 actually evaluating him correctly where the other sites clearly missed? Tell me anything about his career at Arkansas that showed he was a top 30-40 recruit.

I'd say it's just another example of the imperfect nature of recruiting sites and once again, 247 showing they were pretty spot on.

wheelspigharvey

If 247 was right all along though I'm pretty stoked because I loved Madden.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 07, 2015, 11:06:33 pm

disagree on qualls. his shot didnt develop well at wilson park but it is a highly repeatable delivery, it's pretty smooth. He'll improve on that, either from the 3 or from the mid range. NBA will get that out of them. The lack of shooting development at arkansas is a systematic failure and directly relates to our lack of gym space. Wal-mart is more important than qualls jumper to these folks. Thank GOD they are finally fixing that glaring problem. MAYBE now we really can get back to the top.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

secfan30

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 08, 2015, 09:27:50 am

Slow clap has begun

latrops

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 08, 2015, 09:43:13 am
The lack of shooting development at arkansas is a systematic failure and directly relates to our lack of gym space. Wal-mart is more important than qualls jumper to these folks. Thank GOD they are finally fixing that glaring problem. MAYBE now we really can get back to the top.

Seriously?  I mean, we have had some pretty good shooters even without a practice facility.  Qualls himself was a much better shooter as a sophomore and junior compared to his freshman year.  Madden was a much better perimeter shooter over his jr/sr seasons than what he was as a freshman/sophomore.  I'd suspect most of our players tasked with hitting perimeter jumpers have done so at an adequate rate.  Bell is the only recent player that immediately comes to mind that hasn't noticeably improved as a shooter over the course of his career.  Well...him and Rickey Scott.

rude1

I will feel better when there are some actual names landed in recruiting in this late signing period. To date the best news we have had in this late signing period is of a player potentially leaving a school and hoping that means we are going to get him, not a player that has committed to us.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on May 08, 2015, 10:31:36 am
I will feel better when there are some actual names landed in recruiting in this late signing period. To date the best news we have had in this late signing period is of a player potentially leaving a school and hoping that means we are going to get him, not a player that has committed to us.
I agree....I am excited about the "possibilities" we have to add a couple of good recruits to Whitt and Kapita. I just hope my excitement actually ends with us getting the two guys we want and not some JUCO "who?" and some athletic guy no major schools want. I want us to land a couple guys late in the signing period that other legit major programs want. That is what I want to see from our staff.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on May 08, 2015, 11:05:22 am
I agree....I am excited about the "possibilities" we have to add a couple of good recruits to Whitt and Kapita. I just hope my excitement actually ends with us getting the two guys we want and not some JUCO "who?" and some athletic guy no major schools want. I want us to land a couple guys late in the signing period that other legit major programs want. That is what I want to see from our staff.
I'm ready for the excitement to turn into elation.   :razorback:

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 08, 2015, 09:37:05 am
Revisionist history or 247 actually evaluating him correctly where the other sites clearly missed? Tell me anything about his career at Arkansas that showed he was a top 30-40 recruit.

I'd say it's just another example of the imperfect nature of recruiting sites and once again, 247 showing they were pretty spot on.
Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 08, 2015, 09:04:18 am

I don't believe 24/7 existed to the point of doing national evaluations by that point.  They were just starting up after having many of their people split from Rivals.  Otis joined a year after Ky's commitment.  24/7 has gone back and created evals and rankings for recruits years before they even existed. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 08, 2015, 11:15:20 am
I don't believe 24/7 existed to the point of doing national evaluations by that point.  They were just starting up after having many of their people split from Rivals.  Otis joined a year after Ky's commitment.  24/7 has gone back and created evals and rankings for recruits years before they even existed.

They started in 2010.

The 247 composite scores are just an average of industry rankings, so those could be applied as far back as any one service ranked a player.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 08, 2015, 11:21:46 am
They started in 2010

And they have rankings as far back as 2003.  They did rankings with hindsight.  They have probably become more trusted in recent years than Rivals now that they are established and have so many former contributors of other sites.  Ky commited in 2010 as they were just starting and before the Arkansas site was running as it is now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 08, 2015, 11:21:46 am
They started in 2010.

The 247 composite scores are just an average of industry rankings, so those could be applied as far back as any one service ranked a player.

http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

In their composite ranking, they listed Ky at #43.  This should put an end to this. 

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 08, 2015, 11:43:34 am
http://247sports.com/Season/2011-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

In their composite ranking, they listed Ky at #43.  This should put an end to this.

There's my problem.  I searched "Ky" rather than "Rashad," because I figured he changed what he wanted to be called after getting on campus, but I guess not.

Atlhogfan1

I don't believe anyone is suggesting just because of recruiting rankings that any of our current recruits will be lesser college players than those ranked higher in previous classes.  Just perhaps a cautionary reminder of early expectations. 

These rankings are relative to their class in addition to what kind of prospect they are perceived to be.  Perhaps the current class of recruits is perceived to be deeper.  And we know how a recruit ends up doing in terms of success depends on a lot of factors including the team dynamics into which they are entering and how they hold up playing against players who have been in major college strength and conditioning programs and have matured physically along with their games. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 08, 2015, 12:09:31 pm
I don't believe anyone is suggesting just because of recruiting rankings that any of our current recruits will be lesser college players than those ranked higher in previous classes.  Just perhaps a cautionary reminder of early expectations. 

These rankings are relative to their class in addition to what kind of prospect they are perceived to be.  Perhaps the current class of recruits is perceived to be deeper.  And we know how a recruit ends up doing in terms of success depends on a lot of factors including the team dynamics into which they are entering and how they hold up playing against players who have been in major college strength and conditioning programs and have matured physically along with their games.
+1 Exactly! I am excited about where i think we will end up. We can hope that these players will far exceed what the highly rated Madden gave us his first couple of years.

snf6278

Quote from: Thepigdoctor on May 08, 2015, 09:27:50 am
He sounds like a  mizzou troll.

GuvHog

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on May 08, 2015, 09:22:40 am
No way next year is worse than year one.

Mike's job is not to check in with you to make sure he has a plan that you understand and agree with.  It's to win games by bringing in dudes and getting them to play.  If you can't see that he's doing just that then you can't be helped.

It shouldn't be as bad as Mike's first season here but if one is truly honest, one will have to admit that there really are a lot of question marks on this years team.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 08, 2015, 11:43:34 am

Looking back at that top 100 it's cool to see guys like trey Burke at 93 and hunter Michelson at 62.  It means that we could have the best player in the class.  I love how many shots we have at having future NBA players if we do get 4 top 100 players.

East Clintwood

You obviously haven't drank enough of the Kool-Aid yet.  You need to order another couple of barrels.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma