Started by chiefhawg, April 23, 2015, 10:28:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

Hawg Red

Kid was 2 years old when I graduated high school. Geez.  :(

7'1 and 199 lbs. Yikes.

Uncle_dad

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

nwahogfan1

April 23, 2015, 11:51:45 am #4 Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:11:17 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: chiefhawg on April 23, 2015, 10:28:22 am
Named to USA Basketball Jr National Roster.

http://www.usab.com/mens/u16/roster.aspx
Kid is a bean pole at over 7 feet tall but he is only in the 9th grade . If he will develop his body, footwork  and his strength then he will be an excellent player.  He has really good  hands and a beautiful shot.  He has 3 point range.  Who could block that shot?  He just has to continue putting on weight and getting stronger but goodness he is only 15 years old and has time.  I heard he is a hard worker and wants to get better plus his parents has hired a trainer so I want to keep a sharp eye on this kid.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Uncle_dad on April 23, 2015, 11:24:27 am
He just Steven Hill.

Hill was much quicker and more athletic than Connor, but no where near the ball skills.

Uncle_dad

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2015, 11:57:25 am
Hill was much quicker and more athletic than Connor, but no where near the ball skills.

True. I was talking about his appearance and not his skill set. Besides, I never pass up on the opportunity to make a Steven Hill joke.

jackflash

I for one going to be interested to see this kid as a senior. Could be very good

intelligence

Pros:
   -Hands
   -BB IQ
   -Mid Range
   -3pt shot
Cons:
   -Athleticism

Pretty much all of his skills can increase 10 fold by improving athleticism. He has the instincts for shot blocking, rebounding and post moves. Just a bit to slow and low vertical. I'm sure MA will keep an eye on his progress.

azhog10

Two Arizona kids on that list. One with a not so much connection to Arkansas. Markus Howard's brother Jordan plays at UCA.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 23, 2015, 11:57:25 am
I did not see Hill as a freshman in HS but I seriously doubt he was much quicker if he has grown to 7 foot by the 9th grade.  I saw Hill in the summer of after his junior year and he was not very good.  Slow feet and terrible hands. He was stronger but 2 years older at that stage.  But Hill got used by another 7 footer a year younger out of Florida in the game I saw.  Hill did not have good feet from what I remember.

hobhog

Needs to get to a HS that competes on higher level if really interested in Div 1.

UNCLE BACK

I do not think Connor will be at AR Baptist next year, also a kid from Dardanelle who is about 5'9 but is a div 1 talent. They both need to get outta 4A...

intelligence

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 09:00:27 am
I do not think Connor will be at AR Baptist next year, also a kid from Dardanelle who is about 5'9 but is a div 1 talent. They both need to get outta 4A...
I'd like to hear more about this young man from Dardanelle.

UNCLE BACK

His name is Jerome Luster, Phil Pressey with a jump shot...

azhog10

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 09:58:20 am
His name is Jerome Luster, Phil Pressey with a jump shot...
Is playing with a summer circuit team?

mbgrulz

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 09:00:27 am
I'd be surprised if Vanover left AB. They bring everybody back and have a great shot at a title next year.

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 24, 2015, 11:06:51 am
I'd be surprised if Vanover left AB. They bring everybody back and have a great shot at a title next year.
I would be very surprised if he left.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 24, 2015, 11:06:51 am
Perfect example of a team that should be classified higher but because of enrollment cant be. Most of their players would play at 6A or 7A schools.

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 11:28:06 am
Perfect example of a team that should be classified higher but because of enrollment cant be. Most of their players would play at 6A or 7A schools.
I couldn't disagree more.  When they played Jimmy Whitt's team this year, they got down 31-0.  They didn't win regionals or state.

mbgrulz

So you'd be for moving teams up or down based on their talent level and not their enrollment? Wow! That makes no sense.

Do you know how many problems that would cause? What happens when a small town produces a state title worthy class only to be moved up to play bigger and better schools due to having "kids who could play at bigger schools"? Talk about a riot breaking out! Also, who makes the call on when you have to move up? I could see some very subjective decisions here.

The private schools already have a pretty big multiplier that bumps them up to a higher class. I'm all for regulating transfers for athletic purposes, but not for hating on schools who have talent. 

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: mbgrulz on April 24, 2015, 12:13:25 pm
So you'd be for moving teams up or down based on their talent level and not their enrollment? Wow! That makes no sense.

Do you know how many problems that would cause? What happens when a small town produces a state title worthy class only to be moved up to play bigger and better schools due to having "kids who could play at bigger schools"? Talk about a riot breaking out! Also, who makes the call on when you have to move up? I could see some very subjective decisions here.

The private schools already have a pretty big multiplier that bumps them up to a higher class. I'm all for regulating transfers for athletic purposes, but not for hating on schools who have talent. 
Babtist is in the biggest City in the State and it makes it a hot-bed for talent. That's all I was saying. Most 4A schools are in towns of 5,000 people or so. No need to get yourself all worked up.

UNCLE BACK

Id be for Private schools playing in their own conference if you had enough to go around.

azhog10

Not sure how Ark works, but in AZ you can actually appeal for reclassification every two years. So there are some private schools, who will reclassify up based on their talent level. Obviously once up, to go down takes an appeals board and has to be agreed upon.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: azhog10 on April 24, 2015, 10:36:35 am
Is playing with a summer circuit team?
He plays for a Wings team I think...

mbgrulz

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 12:31:13 pm
Babtist is in the biggest City in the State and it makes it a hot-bed for talent. That's all I was saying. Most 4A schools are in towns of 5,000 people or so. No need to get yourself all worked up.
That may be true, but what is the aaa supposed to do? I'm not worked up at all. I just tried to state the flaws I saw in your assertion that they should be moved up.

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 12:31:13 pm
AB is about the 10th school of choice for an athlete in LR, whereas the town of 5,000 has 1 school.

Dr. Starcs

Saw both these kids play multiple games this year.

Luster single handedly beat arkadelphia at state by scoring 45 points. Arkadelphia never double him!  Small kid, but very smooth, great scorer. Turns the ball over a bit too much, but has the ball in his hands a ton too for Dardanelle. Needs to work on his quickness/explosiveness for a kid his height in order to be a better d-1 prospect.

Vanover is a very smart player for his age. Nice shooting touch from mid range and beyond. As many have said, definitely needs to put on weight, but has time for that. Baptist was a very well coached ball team and has everyone back for next year. Needs to work on dominating games at this level on both ends of the court to be a better d-1 prospect.

Big Nasty 34

Though Vanover may not look like a high D1 prospect right now, he has a pretty high chance of making it to the NBA. I saw a stat where like 17% of 7 footers play or have played in the NBA