Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Basketball Court/ Bud Walton Arena

Started by elviscat, April 12, 2015, 05:13:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GuvHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 13, 2015, 01:25:57 pm
Using a racist stereotype to refer to a black coach has nothing to do  with irony. Why does this poster still have an account or at the least been banned for some time.

Is it ok to post racist comments in here? Seems that way when this kind of stuff happens regularly and nothing is done about it.

Coach Richardson has not asked any poster on Hogville for honors of any kind. The man is in 12 HOF's and doesn't need validation on Hogville. If you want to attack anyone, by all means, feed on each other. Coach Richardson is not a part of these circular conversations and should not be disrespected by low types on here who will never win a pee wee championship much less an NCAA title. Save the ignorant racist comments for stormfront.org, kkk.com or some other racist forum.

So you believe that someone suggesting that some Churches be named after Nolan is a racial slur???
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: GuvHog on April 13, 2015, 02:08:51 pm
So you believe that someone suggesting that some Churches be named after Nolan is a racial slur???

When you capitalize Church, yes.  Churches in general would mot be capitalized.  No doubt in my mind he meant Church's Fried Chicken.  Why not just throw in the watermelon patch and be done with it.  You will notice he said "the closet liquor store and the closest Church's".  There is really only way to interpret that.   
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 13, 2015, 02:23:24 pm
When you capitalize Church, yes.  Churches in general would mot be capitalized.  No doubt in my mind he meant Church's Fried Chicken.  Why not just throw in the watermelon patch and be done with it.  You will notice he said "the closet liquor store and the closest Church's".  There is really only way to interpret that.   

What's a "mot"? You skewer his lack of using capitalization yet you don't use spellcheck?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Wild Bill Hog

Maybe they can name a moot court room at the law school for him.

TexArkHogFan

lol.  It's NOT his use of capitalization, it's the way he used the word "Church's".  When he said the nearest "Church's" how can you interpret it any other way?
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

lrcentral

Please don't sue the original poster since that is what Nolan would do. Bazinga !

TexArkHogFan

Haters gonna hate.  I'm done.  Gonna go get me some fried chicken. 

z1on

Quote from: GuvHog on April 13, 2015, 02:08:51 pm

Yea? Name a Church's fried chicken after a black coach. That is the definition of racist.

GuvHog

I missed that and yeah, I see your point. It is indeed inappropriate.

I never realized though, that when I eat fried Chicken (which I love) I eat a racist food.

hawginbigd1

He built it, now it is past time for his name to be on it. Yeah he pissed me off the way he got, and the whole end of the saga, but that is behind us. He should be honored for his achievements.

PorkSoda

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 12, 2015, 07:59:03 pm
I imagine this angle has been previously discussed here as well but I probably missed it.

How does one reconcile the fact that NR sued the University in all of this?  That fact alone certainly makes it hard to want to name something on the university after a person who sued the university....
yeah, usually that is reserved for people that donate large sums of money to the university
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 12, 2015, 07:30:54 pm
Too many baby boomer white  guys with power still alive for this to happen unfortunately.

You are so correct!Post right above this was a typical example of what you speak!!  One Coach went to the final 4, an one coach not only went he won and went back the the next year to the final game (should have won two in a row) and folks this was his down fall, he put RAZORBACK BASKETBALL ABOVE JFB"S TRUE LOVE AND THE GOOD OLD BOYS COULD NOT HANDLE THIS.  Kinda like when Tiger Woods dismantled The Masters, the good old boys said they had to Tiger proof the course because they could not stand for that to happen, do you think they will try and Jordan proof it now?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 13, 2015, 02:37:42 pm
lol.  It's NOT his use of capitalization, it's the way he used the word "Church's".  When he said the nearest "Church's" how can you interpret it any other way?

No reason to dog him about punctuation or capitalization when you can't spell correctly in your own post...................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 13, 2015, 04:33:30 pm
He built it, now it is past time for his name to be on it. Yeah he pissed me off the way he got, and the whole end of the saga, but that is behind us. He should be honored for his achievements.

If someone believes they should be honored for their achievements then they also have to bear the burden when people think they did wrong also.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TeedupHigh on April 13, 2015, 04:56:30 pm
You are so correct!Post right above this was a typical example of what you speak!!  One Coach went to the final 4, an one coach not only went he won and went back the the next year to the final game (should have won two in a row) and folks this was his down fall, he put RAZORBACK BASKETBALL ABOVE JFB"S TRUE LOVE AND THE GOOD OLD BOYS COULD NOT HANDLE THIS.  Kinda like when Tiger Woods dismantled The Masters, the good old boys said they had to Tiger proof the course because they could not stand for that to happen, do you think they will try and Jordan proof it now?

The interesting thing was they didn't Tiger proof Augusta National. When they lengthened it they helped the ones that hit longer and at the time he was one of those.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 13, 2015, 04:47:54 pm
yeah, usually that is reserved for people that donate large sums of money to the university

Maybe Nolan did that. Even if not directly he DID help raise a lot of money for the athletic department and thus the school by being a winning coach.

elviscat

One national championship in basketball= Nolan Richardson
One so called national championship in football+ Frank Broyles

Nothing before that.
Frank Broyles, has had a hand in running off some pretty good coaches over the years. Ken Hatfield, Danny Ford, Lou Holtz. He like to meddle in their programs by telling them how to coach. He treated some better than others. But, Nolan was treated with a lack of respect and that let to the down fall of the program. Frank, was smart enough to hire Nolan but he never treated him as an equal. It was never a great relation where one would be created for what he did and respected for it. The problem lays at the hand of FB.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 13, 2015, 05:14:34 pm
Maybe Nolan did that. Even if not directly he DID help raise a lot of money for the athletic department and thus the school by being a winning coach.
I'm not against him getting the court named after him.  I think it would add to the cool factor.

but I also understand why the university may not be so inclined.  It still a controversial subject, and the university may not want the backlash that will likely be associated with the move.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

pigture perfect

I'm offended that White people don't get recognition  for liking chicken as well. I am well capable of eating a whole chicken on occasion.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

PorkSoda

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 13, 2015, 06:48:59 pm
I'm offended that White people don't get recognition  for liking chicken as well. I am well capable of eating a whole chicken on occasion.
who doesn't like fried chicken.  really, aside from vegetarians, I don't think I've met anyone.

Dropkick

I would like to see them have a 4 team tourney to kick off the season like a "Nolan Richardson Classic". If possible bring in Tulsa and/or UTEP.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 13, 2015, 05:04:04 pm
No reason to dog him about punctuation or capitalization when you can't spell correctly in your own post...................

You are missing the point entirely.  It's not about punctuation and/or capitalization.  I am a Son of the South and I know damn well what he meant.  If you don't, sorry I can't help you. 

hawkhawg

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 12, 2015, 11:56:34 pm
Name the closest liquor store after Sutton and the closest Church's after Richardson.  Should make everyone happy and is perfectly PC.

It 2015 and someone post this kind of racist trash.  Then others come along and defend it.  And some of you don't believe Nolan dealt with racism on the hill 30 years ago.

Pigsear

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 13, 2015, 06:48:59 pm

I'm kinda fond of watermelon to.

BooHog

Screw that.  He burnt this program down to the ground intentionally when he left.  Our last 10 plus years of being mediocre is directly because of him. Nolan brought us to the pinnacle, got lazy and quit recruiting his last 4-5 years here. Then basically with comments he made publicly had to be fired.  Then suing the UA making it a public spectacle put a shadow on our recruiting for many many years.  I am fine with a banner but being a true bastard when he left casting the administration a bunch of KKK members did us no favors.  I am glad he is attending games etc but he caused almost as much pain as pleasure on this program that many younger fans/alum may not remember. I am also fine with a statue as well, but not the court.

AstroHawg

Why isn't there any alcoholics defending Sutton?

Why is it racist to state black folks love fried chicken?  They do.  White folks like Antique Roadshow.  Get over yourselves. 

I could have used pig feet, skrawberry pop, or turkey neck.  WTH is wrong with you folks?  It's only racist to think white folks are racist. 

TexArkHogFan

We had the two greatest basketball coaches to ever coach at Arkansas, one of them a Hall Of Fame coach and the only man to ever win a national championship at three different levels and a poster comes on HV and makes a disparaging remark about naming a liquor store and a Church's Fried Chicken after them and other posters rush to defend him.  We had a football coach who won a national championship and who was a known racist and they named a football complex after him.  And, you wonder why the rest of the country makes fun of Arkansas fans?  Only on Hogville.  This thread should have gone to the trash bin when the sun went down on the day it was started and why it is still here completely amazes me.   

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 14, 2015, 12:08:13 am

Why is it racist to state black folks love fried chicken?  They do.  White folks like Antique Roadshow.  Get over yourselves. 

I could have used pig feet, skrawberry pop, or turkey neck.  WTH is wrong with you folks?  It's only racist to think white folks are racist. 

You're joking right?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

MountieDawg

April 14, 2015, 08:24:50 am #78 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:37:40 am by MountieDawg
Maybe in the suites they can serve alcohol and call Bourbon on the rocks the Eddie Sutton Special.

They could serve up a bowl of chili with Ghost chili, jalapeno peppers and beans and call it "40 Minutes of Hell Chili"

Maybe in the men's restroom in the stall they can put signs up that say "40 Minutes of Pel"

Maybe the can have a small tasting area and call it the "Altman Zone"

Maybe they can crush up some Heath bars and put them in ice cream and all it the "Stan Heath Sundae"

Pretty soon every coach would have something named after them.... If Portis stays and graduates they can open up a seating area for Underprivileged Kids and call it the SupPORTIS Zone.
SEC!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 13, 2015, 06:37:58 pm
I'm not against him getting the court named after him.  I think it would add to the cool factor.

but I also understand why the university may not be so inclined.  It still a controversial subject, and the university may not want the backlash that will likely be associated with the move.

Agree. Due to all that happened back then during his whole career I can see why some think he should get it and others not.

Inhogswetrust

April 14, 2015, 09:13:02 am #80 Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:12:48 pm by Inhogswetrust

I'll defend Eddie for never suing the University, reconciling with those above him in the administration that at the time he had problems with due to his personal issues and winning a LOT of games. I'll not defend him for drinking too much.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 13, 2015, 09:52:59 pm
You are missing the point entirely.  It's not about punctuation and/or capitalization.  I am a Son of the South and I know damn well what he meant.  If you don't, sorry I can't help you. 

I know what he meant...............I'm from the south also and why would you think I'm possibly not just because I brought out a different aspect of his post?

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 14, 2015, 09:13:02 am
I'll defend Eddie for never suing the University and reconciling with those above him in the administration that at the time he had problems with due to his personal issues. I'll not defend him for drinking too much.

I wholeheartedly agree. +1

root_hawg

I am from the south and didn't even think of Church's Fried Chicken.  You sue the university, you bite the hand that feed you.  No matter who he intended to go after, he named the UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS and that alone says to me that no you do not get a court named after you.  Besides I believe the Walton family are responsible for that building.

And Frank vs Nolan's accomplishments for the poster posting about the NCs, I will take Frank's because a lot of the facilities would not be possible without his fund raising.  IMO, Nolan got mad not because of the racism but because he was NEVER going to ascend to the title of AD and that pissed him off.

Temprees

Quote from: root_hawg on April 20, 2015, 04:25:40 pm
I am from the south and didn't even think of Church's Fried Chicken.  You sue the university, you bite the hand that feed you.  No matter who he intended to go after, he named the UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS and that alone says to me that no you do not get a court named after you.  Besides I believe the Walton family are responsible for that building.

And Frank vs Nolan's accomplishments for the poster posting about the NCs, I will take Frank's because a lot of the facilities would not be possible without his fund raising.  IMO, Nolan got mad not because of the racism but because he was NEVER going to ascend to the title of AD and that pissed him off.
You are wrong.  You don't know what you are talking about. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Temprees on April 20, 2015, 08:58:57 pm
You are wrong.  You don't know what you are talking about. 

Actually he's partially correct. Frank was racist to an extent, it was common for white people born in his era so Nolan did have a beef there. It is true however that when Nolan was given the title of Associate AD, which all of the Head coaches at Arkansas had been given, he wanted the power that went with it even though none of the other head coaches had that power and Frank's refusal to give it to him made him mad. It was merely a token title for all of the Head coaches.

HappyHogFan

I'm for naming the court after him, and or giving him a statue in front of the arena. Yes, his tenure here ended badly, but my God hold a grudge much? Give the man his due.

root_hawg

Then enlighten me tempress, how am I wrong, or is it I don't share the same opinion?

pigture perfect

Ask Jason Gilbert who needs a court named after him and about racism on the hill.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

HappyHogFan

I'm also for naming one of the toilets in the football  practice facility after Houston Nutt. Who's with me?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HappyHogFan on April 24, 2015, 08:35:59 am
I'm also for naming one of the toilets in the football  practice facility after Houston Nutt. Who's with me?

Maybe some dental company can name their dental implants the "Houston Nutt finger nail clippers"........................

HappyHogFan

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 24, 2015, 08:43:08 am
Maybe some dental company can name their dental implants the "Houston Nutt finger nail clippers"........................

How about the Bobby Petrino Riding Leathers? The tagline could be "Protect your ass, because Bobby won't"

LOL

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Sed76 on April 12, 2015, 07:57:13 pm
Really, we didn't go to the Final Four before Nolan got there? We didn't have a nationally known group of players known as the triplets? No disrespect to Nolan Richardson but we did have a basketball program before he showed up.

Agree; we finished ranked in the top 25 FINAL poll in all six consecutive seasons leading up to NRs hire. He may deserve to have the court named after him, but he did not put us on the basketball map.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 13, 2015, 12:40:17 pm
His boss had a history of racist ways going back to his treatment of Darrell Brown in 1965, but Nolan stuck it out.

You do know that JFB recruited the first black scholarship football player at Missouri, right?

You do know that JFB recruited the first black scholarship football player at Arkansas, right?

You do know that JFB hired the first black HC of a major sport at any public college in the South, right?

As for Darrel Brown, I have read his accusations. I have also carefully read the stories about his struggles. The stories, if you read carefully, never have anyone, black or white, who specifically backs up his version of the most sensational events, even those who were quoted as expressing admiration for what he was doing.

Then consider that Darrel Brown was a kid who did not play high school football, trying to walk on for a Top 10 D-1 program. Some of his stories suggest that this top 10 program spent valuable practice time just to torment him. Is that really plausible? "Ignore"? Yes. Waste time? No.

When he tried to walk on, UA had unlimited scholarships. ALL walkons were treated poorly, even into the 70s.

Then look up Brown's documented problems with professional conduct as an attorney. He might not be the most credible person in the state.

hogpc

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 12, 2015, 07:30:54 pm
Too many baby boomer white  guys with power still alive for this to happen unfortunately.

With all the talk about racism in this thread it's worth noting that this is a racist statement too...don't see anyone crying about it though - hmmmmm!?!

I happen to be a baby boomer white guy, however, I have no power or connections at UA. I love what Nolan did for our basketball program and I hate how he ended it - no court named for him, he burned the bridge to that opportunity with the way he left.

-Blu

So much wrong with that post, I don't even know where to start.