Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Basketball Court/ Bud Walton Arena

Started by elviscat, April 12, 2015, 05:13:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elviscat

It's time to name the basketball court at Bud Walton Arena after Nolan Richardson.
To honor him while he is still alive for the job he did for putting Arkansas on the map in the basketball world. Less start a petition drive and get it done.

latrops

BayofPigs

Buff

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Sed76

Nolan didn't put Arkansas on the map when it comes to basketball. I wouldn't object to the court being named after him but come on now.

Hawgndaaz

Too many baby boomer white  guys with power still alive for this to happen unfortunately.

Danny J

Quote from: Sed76 on April 12, 2015, 07:21:55 pm
Nolan didn't put Arkansas on the map when it comes to basketball. I wouldn't object to the court being named after him but come on now.
Yes...Nolan put us on the map nationally. He is also the reason BWA was built when it was built. The court should be named after him.

Porked Tongue

With this thread, "Name The Court After Nolan" moves to #2 on most repeated thread topics in Jump Ball.  I believe it's #7 across all forums(not including Politics or DST).

Note:  These rankings are unconfirmed.

Sed76

Quote from: Danny J on April 12, 2015, 07:42:36 pm
Yes...Nolan put us on the map nationally. He is also the reason BWA was built when it was built. The court should be named after him.

Really, we didn't go to the Final Four before Nolan got there? We didn't have a nationally known group of players known as the triplets? No disrespect to Nolan Richardson but we did have a basketball program before he showed up.

Sed76

Like I said, wouldn't object if they named the court after him. Just think it's absurd to act as if no one knew Arkansas had a basketball team before he became coach.

root_hawg

Name the toilets after him, he flushed any respect I had for him when he sued the university

Hoggish1

Nolan didn't put Arkansas on the map when it comes to basketball.  come on now.

Well, dude, we did win a NC.  So, please tell us what that map was without Nolan?

Danny J

Quote from: Sed76 on April 12, 2015, 07:57:13 pm
Really, we didn't go to the Final Four before Nolan got there? We didn't have a nationally known group of players known as the triplets? No disrespect to Nolan Richardson but we did have a basketball program before he showed up.
Sutton is not now and has not ever been known as the coach who put us on the map nationally. If you don't believe me just call into the any of the national sports radio show or just log onto other NCAA basketball forums and ask for yourself. I am not down playing what Sutton did, before he crawled to UK, but what Nolan did for twice as long, which is 3 total final fours, national title and a runner-up plus multiple elite 8's, etc...is the reason the court should be named after him. If it wasn't for Nolan then there would be no BWA.

Danny J

Also find it odd that many of the same people who oppose naming anything after Nolan are also some of the most vocal critics of CMA. Odd indeed.

Sed76

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 12, 2015, 08:29:47 pm
Well, dude, we did win a NC.  So, please tell us what that map was without Nolan?

All I'm saying is people had heard of Arkansas basketball before Nolan Richardson. Guess we just have a definition of what putting us on the map means. To me we were already on the map and he just expanded it. Like I said, wouldn't object to naming the court after him. Don't hate the man, appreciative of what he did. Just remember some success before he got here.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Danny J on April 12, 2015, 08:47:19 pm
Also find it odd that many of the same people who oppose naming anything after Nolan are also some of the most vocal critics of CMA. Odd indeed.

And think Sutton did much more for AR BB. The things that make you go hmmmm.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 12, 2015, 07:53:36 pm
With this thread, "Name The Court After Nolan" moves to #2 on most repeated thread topics in Jump Ball.  I believe it's #7 across all forums(not including Politics or DST).

Note:  These rankings are unconfirmed.

So we can report to mod now in the politics forum!  Good to know  ;D

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 12, 2015, 08:57:37 pm
To be fair, Sutton lost a good deal of his reputation with the Arkansas faithful when he said he would crawl to Kentucky.

Which was absolutely rediculous. KY was in a different basketball universe then than AR. Anyone would have left. That being said, I did think Sutton was an arrogant a$$, but long before that comment.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

root_hawg

Buff

Quote from: root_hawg on April 12, 2015, 09:10:38 pm
And nothing is named after Sutton either

Let Kentucky name something after that guy.

pigture perfect

Instead of the GSD, I guess this topic is going to be the Great Floor debate. Maybe we could divide the court into the Eddie Sutton basket and the Nolan Basket. Having their faces etched into the plexiglass with mouths open, where the Square usually is.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Athog

Quote from: elviscat on April 12, 2015, 05:13:47 pm
It's time to name the basketball court at Bud Walton Arena after Nolan Richardson.
To honor him while he is still alive for the job he did for putting Arkansas on the map in the basketball world. Less start a petition drive and get it done.

Find a new cause!

Porked Tongue

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 12, 2015, 09:30:24 pm
Instead of the GSD, I guess this topic is going to be the Great Floor debate. Maybe we could divide the court into the Eddie Sutton basket and the Nolan Basket. Having their faces etched into the plexiglass with mouths open, where the Square usually is.
Then there would be an argument over who got which basket!

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Break & Run

I don't want them to name the court after him. I like it the way it is. What they should do, though, is build a statue with the engraving "The House That Nolan Built."
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

popcornhog

Agreed.

But I'm against another thread in the topic.
WPS

AstroHawg

Name the closest liquor store after Sutton and the closest Church's after Richardson.  Should make everyone happy and is perfectly PC.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J on April 12, 2015, 08:45:30 pm
Sutton is not now and has not ever been known as the coach who put us on the map nationally. If you don't believe me just call into the any of the national sports radio show or just log onto other NCAA basketball forums and ask for yourself. I am not down playing what Sutton did, before he crawled to UK, but what Nolan did for twice as long, which is 3 total final fours, national title and a runner-up plus multiple elite 8's, etc...is the reason the court should be named after him. If it wasn't for Nolan then there would be no BWA.
Being someone that was raised on 80s and 90s Arkansas basketball, very well said.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Marshfieldhog

That whole UK deal didn't work out too well for Sutton.

As for the lawsuit, that was really about John White and Frank Broyles. I guess Nolan and Frank have made up, John White is the devil.

lrcentral

No way. He won a NC and then couldn't keep it going. He got mad when the higher ups tried to salvage what was left of Arkansas basketball. He then sued and that forced the higher ups to hire Stan instead of Bill Self. If they hired a White guy people would have screamed and Sharpton would be posted up in Fayetteville. Richardson suing cost us years of relevance.

Richardson said other coaches weren't held to the same standards. No other coach had went to two Championship games back to back. Houston Nutt would have been fired too if he went to back to back NC then fell off.

In the end Nolan screwed himself. He was so toxic no one wanted to touch him.

root_hawg

For you guys that keep saying there would be no BWA without Nolan, actually it wouldn't b there without Bud Walton

Hogs-n-Roses

Want to get really cool about it. Name one end the Sutton way n the other 40 minits of Nolan and in one corner of his end have a halo in the corner wit his daughters name. Don t change the name of the facility.

MountieDawg

Are you sure... I did the research and I found a map from 1975 and 2005. You can clearly see basketball was not on the map in 1975 and is on the map in 2005!
SEC!

MountieDawg

Eddie may have been willing to crawl to Kentucky for that job, but I am sure they were happy to put him on a plane to get him out of there. The biggest crook in Kentucky basketball history!
SEC!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: AstroHawg on April 12, 2015, 11:56:34 pm
Name the closest liquor store after Sutton and the closest Church's after Richardson.  Should make everyone happy and is perfectly PC.

I get the Sutton liquor store connection. Not clear on Nolan and Church's. Care to clarify?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 12, 2015, 07:59:03 pm
I imagine this angle has been previously discussed here as well but I probably missed it.

How does one reconcile the fact that NR sued the University in all of this?  That fact alone certainly makes it hard to want to name something on the university after a person who sued the university....

Thank you. IMHO that's the #1 reason his name isn't on the court. I firmly believe if Nolan would swallow his pride, step in front of a press conference microphone, and apologize for suing the University, it would greatly increase the chances of the BWA court being named after him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: sevenof400 on April 12, 2015, 08:57:37 pm
To be fair, Sutton lost a good deal of his reputation with the Arkansas faithful when he said he would crawl to Kentucky. 

Actually that's not true. When he made that "crawling" comment, he lost the respect of a only a very small minority of the Arkansas faithful. The overwhelming majority of the Arkansas faithful were smart enough to know who he meant it for and did not hold it against him. To Eddie's credit though, he was still man enough to stand in front of a Microphone and publicly apologize for saying it anyway.

Quote from: GuvHog on April 13, 2015, 10:33:35 am
Actually that's not true. When he made that "crawling" comment, he lost the respect of a only a very small minority of the Arkansas faithful. The overwhelming majority of the Arkansas faithful were smart enough to know who he meant it for and did not hold it against him. To Eddie's credit though, he was still man enough to stand in front of a Microphone and publicly apologize for saying it anyway.
You just portrayed your opinion as fact, as to how most Arkansans felt when Sutton made that comment.  My opinion is different than yours, I think most Hog fans were very upset at him for saying that.

GuvHog

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on April 12, 2015, 08:51:34 pm
And think Sutton did much more for AR BB. The things that make you go hmmmm.

I've never heard anyone make that claim.

Eddie did take the program from being almost non-existent to relevance but Nolan took the program to another completely different level so saying Eddie did more for Arkansas basketball than Nolan did is totally absurd.

GuvHog

Quote from: Karma on April 13, 2015, 10:39:00 am
You just portrayed your opinion as fact, as to how most Arkansans felt when Sutton made that comment.  My opinion is different than yours, I think most Hog fans were very upset at him for saying that.

I respectfully disagree. I was one of Nolan's biggest supporters from day one until that press conference after his Hogs last loss to Kentucky but the truth is the truth. Most understood who Eddie meant that comment for and didn't hold it against him.

Inhogswetrust

April 13, 2015, 10:56:55 am #42 Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:18:12 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Hawgndaaz on April 12, 2015, 07:30:54 pm
Too many baby boomer white  guys with power still alive for this to happen unfortunately.

They don't forget ALL the stuff. There sometimes is more to naming something after someone than wins/losses...................That being said I'm one of those you speak of (except the power part) and I'd be fine with naming the court after him.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Eddie put them on the map. Nolan put them on the front cover.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Mr. Porkleone

SUED the UA. NEVER EVER GOING TO HAPPEN EVER!!!

MARK THAT DOWN.  LET IT GO.

The banner hanging is more than enough. Nolan has and had so much anger and controversy that it just don't sit well with many. There may be a few here that are so hung up on the politically correctness of this liberal society that just want to stir this crap up.

LET IT GO. 

Tusks

There should be a statue.  If you win a NC you get a statue, plain and simple.  Football, basketball, baseball etc.

I like the idea of JM being surrounded by his 40 something trophies, but knowing him a little he'd rather be a statue of him surrounded by his players.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TexArkHogFan

No matter how subtle, once again racism rears its ugly head on Hogville.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

3kgthog

Some of ya'll have got to let go of your hate for Nolan. We'd still be playing in a likely renovated Barnhill if not for Nolan's success. So, he sued the U of A. We all know that was more a jab at Frank Broyles and not necessarily the school.

In the end, the school is the group of dummies that made the hires that they did. Other schools have had real NCAA issues that have crippled their programs and they still managed to make good hires. Blaming Nolan is just giving an excuse to our former piss poor administration. They handled the entire episode very poorly and did more damage to the program than Nolan ever did. 

And this has nothing to do with political correctness. It's about giving a man his due. He lost a daughter while coaching here, but he never quit. His boss had a history of racist ways going back to his treatment of Darrell Brown in 1965, but Nolan stuck it out. I was angry at Nolan at the time he made his comments following the Kentucky loss, but he seems to have grown up and forgiven the past. Maybe some of you need to look in the mirror, forgive, and just be thankful for all the good times he gave you as a Hog fan.

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 13, 2015, 12:23:09 pm

Yeah I think he was trying to be ironic but it didn't work.

That did give me an idea, rename Leroy Pond Dive right outside the stadium after Nolan, but my search showed Pond was a Purple Heart WW2 vet, so maybe not.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 13, 2015, 08:39:53 am
I get the Sutton liquor store connection. Not clear on Nolan and Church's. Care to clarify?

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on April 13, 2015, 12:23:09 pm

Quote from: wheelspigharvey on April 13, 2015, 12:50:48 pm
Yeah I think he was trying to be ironic but it didn't work.

Using a racist stereotype to refer to a black coach has nothing to do  with irony. Why does this poster still have an account or at the least been banned for some time.

Is it ok to post racist comments in here? Seems that way when this kind of stuff happens regularly and nothing is done about it.

Coach Richardson has not asked any poster on Hogville for honors of any kind. The man is in 12 HOF's and doesn't need validation on Hogville. If you want to attack anyone, by all means, feed on each other. Coach Richardson is not a part of these circular conversations and should not be disrespected by low types on here who will never win a pee wee championship much less an NCAA title. Save the ignorant racist comments for stormfront.org, kkk.com or some other racist forum.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.