Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This Years Class much much better than last years...

Started by UNCLE BACK, April 16, 2012, 08:24:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

If you watch footage plus you put in perspective the needs of our team. This class is alot better. This is not a knock at all on last yrs class either. These guys are blue collar guys who have a chip on their shoulders ( in a good way) Im over the top excited and Im predicting a 25 plus win season next year...  Gonna be fun, mark my words. stars don't always mean that much.

ttrk05

Quote from: pridgehog on April 16, 2012, 08:24:24 pm
If you watch footage plus you put in perspective the needs of our team. This class is alot better. This is not a knock at all on last yrs class either. These guys are blue collar guys who have a chip on their shoulders ( in a good way) Im over the top excited and Im predicting a 25 plus win season next year...  Gonna be fun, mark my words. stars don't always mean that much.
Not trying to be a downer but we heard this last year.   Lets wait and see how they do in practice at least

The_Iceman

None are better than BJ Young.

But I am very excited about the players we are bringing in. All 4 year, program building players.

alaback

April 16, 2012, 09:44:11 pm #3 Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 09:47:11 pm by alaback
Quote from: ttrk05 on April 16, 2012, 09:03:12 pm
Not trying to be a downer but we heard this last year.   Lets wait and see how they do in practice at least

You are trying to be downer because you were making comments like this all season long.  Not sure where you heard this last year, but it was quite obvious that we had several missing pieces to the puzzle.  After losing Powell, getting above .500 was nothing short of extraordinary. 

Facts are Mike Anderson had 1 Top 25 (6th) recruiting class in his tenure at Mizzou.  That was mainly because of Tony Mitchell who never made it to campus so it's questionable that his 2010 class was even Top 25.  Though strong recruiting rankings are not a trademark of Anderson's teams, he manages to consistently field a Top 25 team year in, year out.

You really thought last year's 7th ranked class was going to set the college basketball world on fire despite the team unexpectedly losing it's best shooter (Clarke), best post player (Powell), and best pure athlete (Bryant)?  Please refresh my memory as to how Billy Donovan did with the #1 class in 2007 followed by the #10 class in 2008.  I'll help you out, those 2 Top 10 classes guided Florida to back to back NIT appearances.

Mike has a done a fantastic job filling in some key pieces in this year's class.  The only missing piece I see is a true big man which he'll eventually fill if not this year, then next.  You really need to be a little more realistic with your expectations.

Breems

I didn't agree with that at first, but I appreciate the way you worded it.

On paper (the meaningless part), last year's class was significantly better.  We'll see about the on-court results next season.  They have the potential to "look" better by avoiding being thrown into the fire too quickly.  That was a given for last year's class and their freshman flaws were indeed magnified. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

onebadrubi

I think last year was a great start to build a program!!  I believe this years class is filling good voids last year did not have!  But, we still need last years no matter what, it has 3 players that will be here at least another 3 years.  That will be important! 

swinesation

Ha Ha. Nobody in this class is gonna come close to the stellar careers of Young, Madden, and Mickelson, all three potential NBA players. Watch footage?! Ha Ha.

Smithian

Danny J

Hard to say right now....would take a couple of players to contribute meaningfully just to equal one BJ. Man....so glad he is coming back. It is nice to see that kind of talent again in BWA game after game.

Dogtown Donkey

Better?

I don't see the star potential that I do in Young, Hunter, Madden and possibly Abron. I do think this class is pan out better than many are expecting. These guys are going to allow the 2011 class to do more this season. They were asked to do A LOT last season (everyone on the team was). That won't be the case this season, so the sophomore should be able to get back to doing what they do best with less pressure. I think that rough first year is going to do wonders for the 2011 kids' toughness. Hopefully they impart that toughness onto these freshmen.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on April 17, 2012, 08:36:59 am
Better?

I don't see the star potential that I do in Young, Hunter, Madden and possibly Abron. I do think this class is pan out better than many are expecting. These guys are going to allow the 2011 class to do more this season. They were asked to do A LOT last season (everyone on the team was). That won't be the case this season, so the sophomore should be able to get back to doing what they do best with less pressure. I think that rough first year is going to do wonders for the 2011 kids' toughness. Hopefully they impart that toughness onto these freshmen.
I agree with this.

I think this upcoming class will complement last years class. It's Mikes first class here and while it might not have 5 star power it has pieces to the puzzle, not a National championship puzzle, but to being competative in the SEC.

jabberjawls

The_Iceman

Dogtown Donkey

Hog Fan...DOH!

Pork Twain

A lot of needed depth and filled holes in this class.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jabberjawls

You guys are so funny.  You keep saying the same thing every year.  I applaud your eternal optimism, but I don't share it.   I watched a lot of Razorback basketball this year (and many years in the past) and have looked carefully at the recruits we have coming in.  I just don't see it.  Until we can get some Todd Day's, Lee Mayberry's, Corliss Williamson's and Joe Johnson's, its going to be "Same Song Next Verse".

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 17, 2012, 10:25:29 am
Keep drinking the Kool Aid.

My favourite flavor Cherry (Cardinal) Red

When it comes to recruiting you can't always git what cha want but if ya try sometimes ya just might find ya git what cha need

swinesation

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on April 17, 2012, 08:36:59 am
I don't see the star potential that I do in Young, Hunter, Madden and possibly Abron.

I was with ya until you threw Abron in there. The guy's a battler, but 12 inch vertical does not equal star potential.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: swinesation on April 17, 2012, 03:58:03 pm
I was with ya until you threw Abron in there. The guy's a battler, but 12 inch vertical does not equal star potential.

How high do you think Hakeem Olajuwon jumped? Kevin McHale? He didn't show a lot of lift as a freshman, but with some work on his post moves, he doesn't necessary need a ton of lift.

Plus, I said "possibly". Abron has it in him. If he can get to the point to where he's pulling in almost 10 rebounds a game and scoring double digits points, that's going to be a star in this system and it's going to have a star-level impact on our winning percentage.

BrianWPS!!

I see young and mickelson having star potential but madden and abron showed NOTHING last year to even think of as anything starlike. Madden was to passive and doesn't have any confidence to hit an open shot so he dishes when he's not within 10 ft of anybody. Abron, ha well there's a reason that one of the worst players in the sec got as many minutes as he did at post. Hopefully I'm wrong but I see nothing in either of those two that stand out. Maybe depth will give these guys some push to be better.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: swinesation on April 17, 2012, 03:58:03 pm

He was a perimeter Mismatch player in high school who excelled at bringing the other teams big men out and putting the ball on the floor. We had no big man and converted him into a beefed up traditional big man. That experiment did not work but knowing what we know now I'd bet he returns next year leaner and meaner. 

I commend him for doing what was needed for his team at the time, and we did see flashes of his willingness to get dirty and bang with the big boys, but I also know he did not come here to be our center and does not intend to be a center wherever his basketball ball talent takes him at the next level.  We also need to get him some help because we have no Centers on this team. Fattening him up and throwing him on the low block is not going to utilize his skill set because he will be too short, too fat and too slow to be effective against quality big men.   :razorback:
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

The_Iceman

we aren't getting Hayes. he is a longshot at this point.

Dogtown Donkey

The_Iceman

swinesation

Abron is 6' 8", can't jump and can't shoot. I'm amazed you guys think he has potential to be a star. I like the guy, but he better be sure he gets a good degree while he's on scholarship.

The_Iceman

Quote from: swinesation on April 18, 2012, 04:40:21 pm
Abron is 6' 8", can't jump and can't shoot. I'm amazed you guys think he has potential to be a star. I like the guy, but he better be sure he gets a good degree while he's on scholarship.

Have you seen video of him when he was 225-230lb?

nwahogfan1

Maybe after Abram loses 15lbs he will be back to playing weight and be a bigger impact next year.

I think this years class could be a very good complimentery class to last years class.  I think Dee will play alot at the 1 spot.  Even though we had lots of guys playing that spot last year I really did not think any of them were a true 1 so I think Dee will upgrade that position.  Even though we plugged in several players into the 5 spot I never thought we had a true low post presence so if we can get a true 5 signed like a Mo then I think we could be better at that position next year.  Last years recruits were very good but some of them did not play a true position with the team which can lead to inconsistently.  I thought a good quality that Nolan had was defining a players role to help the team win.  Next year will have more pieces to plug into the team and if we can sign a true 5 and if CMA is as good as Nolan at defining roles then I think by Feb we can be very good and better then last years team.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 19, 2012, 10:54:34 am
Maybe after Abram loses 15lbs he will be back to playing weight and be a bigger impact next year.

I think this years class could be a very good complimentery class to last years class.  I think Dee will play alot at the 1 spot.  Even though we had lots of guys playing that spot last year I really did not think any of them were a true 1 so I think Dee will upgrade that position.  Even though we plugged in several players into the 5 spot I never thought we had a true low post presence so if we can get a true 5 signed like a Mo then I think we could be better at that position next year.  Last years recruits were very good but some of them did not play a true position with the team which can lead to inconsistently.  I thought a good quality that Nolan had was defining a players role to help the team win.  Next year will have more pieces to plug into the team and if we can sign a true 5 and if CMA is as good as Nolan at defining roles then I think by Feb we can be very good and better then last years team.

+1

A lot of guys playing out of position/ideal role last year just so we could survive. Shouldn't be the case this season. We should have two real PGs in Wagner and Gulley, some true SFs (something we've lacked in recent years) in Qualls, Williams and Harris (who can also play the 4), and a big-time PF in Powell (hopefully). Only thing we are lacking is a true big man to anchor the paint. Abron is more of a power 3 ideally. We see what happened when he tried to convert to a true PF. That's just not him. Mickelson is a big combo forward on offense and a center on defense. We need someone, on offense, to take on the role of "big man". Someone that isn't going to fool around with jumpers or handling the ball. Even if it's just a garbage man down there, we need that.

TRUHOG718

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on April 19, 2012, 11:09:20 am
+1

A lot of guys playing out of position/ideal role last year just so we could survive. Shouldn't be the case this season. We should have two real PGs in Wagner and Gulley, some true SFs (something we've lacked in recent years) in Qualls, Williams and Harris (who can also play the 4), and a big-time PF in Powell (hopefully). Only thing we are lacking is a true big man to anchor the paint. Abron is more of a power 3 ideally. We see what happened when he tried to convert to a true PF. That's just not him. Mickelson is a big combo forward on offense and a center on defense. We need someone, on offense, to take on the role of "big man". Someone that isn't going to fool around with jumpers or handling the ball. Even if it's just a garbage man down there, we need that.

My name is Truhog and I endorse this post LOL.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

The Hogfather

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 19, 2012, 10:54:34 am
Abram

I hate to use you as an example, and you might've just made a typing error, but why can't people get his very, very, very simple last name right?

I hear people STILL saying Abrams or Abram or Apron or Maybron.

His last name is Abron.  Pretty simple.

rude1

I agree there will be more pieces to the puzzle but to think this is the kind of talent that puts a program over the top would be a mistake IMO. None of the players we landed are projected as "game changers". What we landed will help along with the maturation of the freshman last year, and getting Powell back. But don't suddenly think we become a Sweet 16 threat, because that's not going to happen.

jabberjawls

So, given that eveyone seems to think that this class is so awesome, what's going to be the excuse after next year when we are, once again, ho hum?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 19, 2012, 01:52:29 pm
So, given that eveyone seems to think that this class is so awesome, what's going to be the excuse after next year when we are, once again, ho hum?

Well, that hasn't happened yet, so......

It would depend on how the season goes.

swinesation

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 19, 2012, 01:52:29 pm

I think we're going to be pretty darn good, in the tournament anyway (assuming everyone stays healthy). But my enthusiasm about next year's team has nothing to do with the incoming class. Nothing. It has to do with Marshawn Powell & B.J. Young at the top of their games, the best 1-2 punch we've had in a loooong time.

UNCLE BACK

Anyone think I might have been on to something last April?

Swinesong1

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hawghog

cardsNhogs

I still Wouldn't say much better and maybe not even better but I like what im seeing so far. Mick is going to be good I still believe, Madden continues to get better all the time, and then there is BJ! Glad we have both classes and Portis-Kingsley next year.

The Great Hogsby

Quote from: pridgehog on November 06, 2012, 11:37:53 am

Yup.

It's hard to get excited at a basketball game that has 150 fans but I was. Them guys can play.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." - Jack Handey

Danny J

You were spot on. BJ was far and away the best of the class last year. This year we have 3 guys that are really good right now and I go back and forth on which one is better right now. Then add wagner and harris to the mix plus williams and gulley. We also get Mckay likely the first of next month.

UNCLE BACK

I think it will be a good mix of talent on the floor. Mike knows what the heck he is doing...

HawgAdvocate

No. BJ will still be the go-to scorer, Mickelson will still be the defensive anchor inside, and Madden still has plenty of time to prove Mike right for making him an early starter thus far this season.

This last group will be a productive group of glue-guys, but they won't be on the floor in crunch time this season or next (excluding Alandise Harris, but he actually chose to transfer here).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

November 06, 2012, 04:07:36 pm #47 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:09:15 pm by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 06, 2012, 02:59:34 pm
No. BJ will still be the go-to scorer, Mickelson will still be the defensive anchor inside, and Madden still has plenty of time to prove Mike right for making him an early starter thus far this season.

This last group will be a productive group of glue-guys, but they won't be on the floor in crunch time this season or next (excluding Alandise Harris, but he actually chose to transfer here).
Can we sticky this or put it somewhere.....??? One or two of these guys will be seeing significant minutes in crunch time this year and without a doubt next year. Take in to account that when Portis gets here along with Kingsley you may see Hunter slide from starter to coming off the bench. These guys bring a different mentality to the game. To call them better (or worse) really depends on what you like to see out of guys. If you like the hard working, high energy type guys then you might think this group from top to bottom is better. But to me that's because Abron brought last year's group down a lot. If you exclude him that group has three starters (even tho BJ may come off the bench I consider him a starter) and this new group may have only one starter by the end of next year. (Bell will start in my opinion next year, maybe Wagner) So HA does have a point that the sophomores will have some very good talent. But in no way was this year's freshmen a dud like many thought, that may be due to the lack of "star" power by the recruiting sites.

Would like to keep this around to come back to after next year.

HawgAdvocate

November 06, 2012, 04:18:51 pm #48 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:26:00 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on November 06, 2012, 04:07:36 pm
But in no way was this year's freshmen a dud like many thought

Who said the class was a "dud?" And why would you want to sticky my post? Just to be a prick?

Most everyone was in agreement that this would be a solid group of role players that would build upon the previous year's group of higher touted signees and work with Portis when he arrives AND SHOWS that he's ready to lead this team.

Mike A doesn't normally rush his freshman into huge minutes and huge responsibilities (Pressey, Young, Madden, etc). That isn't likely to change next year with Harris and Mickelson having major experience inside.

Scott, Madden, Wade, Harris, and Mickelson (and maybe Portis) should be your crunch time five next season.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

November 06, 2012, 04:36:50 pm #49 Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:41:42 pm by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on November 06, 2012, 04:18:51 pm
Who said the class was a "dud?" And why would you want to sticky my post? Just to be a prick?

Most everyone was in agreement that this would be a solid group of role players that would build upon the previous year's group of higher touted signees and work with Portis when he arrives AND SHOWS that he's ready to lead this team.

Mike A doesn't normally rush his freshman into huge minutes and huge responsibilities (Pressey, Young, Madden, etc). That isn't likely to change next year with Harris and Mickelson having major experience inside.

Scott, Madden, Wade, Harris, and Mickelson (and maybe Portis) should be your crunch time five next season.
Wasn't referring to you. But there were plenty who questioned a few of those guys. I don't recall you being one of them. You've been very silent on these guys and I never got the intention that you thought that. I was just speaking in general terms. Sorry if you thought I was speaking about you. But many guys questions the signing of Wagner due to his size and others thought it was weird we sign a guy like Qualls and Wagner when LSU didn't even offer and if they did they didn't recruit them hard at all.

I agree about what you are saying about freshmen but when it comes to playing big minutes by the end of next year I won't be surprised seeing Portis and/or Kingsley logging critical minutes. The amount of minutes may be dispersed like they normally are, but if the game is close I expect to see Portis in over Mick if we are going with one big.

If Mickelson doesn't improve more over the course of this season and next he will see his minutes go down quite a bit with Harris, Kingsley, and Portis in the mix.

Crunch time next year to me will be Madden, Scott, Wade, Harris, and Portis.....you won't see Madden and Scott in together at crunch time. They are too much alike and IF Scott doesn't get a consistent shot (which in three years he hasn't) then it's hard to have two guys on the floor who are no threat from deep.

IMO.