Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jonathan Williams Found Not Guilty in Drunk Driving Case

Started by gdumont, June 08, 2017, 05:30:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

gchamblee

Really happy for him. When this story broke last year I felt horrible for him. Just a great dude and this seemed so out of character for him. After I read this article my thoughts were... It is smart to refuse to take a breathalyzer, and it is good to have an NFL contract that affords you quality representation at the trial :P

NuttinItUp

Quote from: gchamblee on June 08, 2017, 05:49:17 pm
After I read this article my thoughts were... It is smart to refuse to take a breathalyzer

^^^This.^^^

Also, never consent to a car search.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 08, 2017, 10:54:48 pm
^^^This.^^^

Also, never consent to a car search.

Or answer a custodial question with any answer aside from "lawyer."
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 08, 2017, 11:50:35 pm
I do hope y'all read this from the cited article:

There's a lot wrong there.

What? Asking police to not demand he take a breathalyzer? Nothing wrong with that at all. At. All.

Obviously they did not have enough evidence to convict him without it so why not ask them to cut the fishing expedition?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 08, 2017, 11:50:35 pm
I do hope y'all read this from the cited article:

There's a lot wrong there.

How long after he drank it was he stopped? It takes time for it to enter the system, and if that was the only drink he had had, then the alcohol level in his blood might not rise to the level of DUI.

I am sure that is one of many arguments his lawyer made in court.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 09, 2017, 12:09:49 am
How long after he drank it was he stopped? It takes time for it to enter the system, and if that was the only drink he had had, then the alcohol level in his blood might not rise to the level of DUI.

I am sure that is one of many arguments his lawyer made in court.

Not that any of that matters, really. They had no credible evidence of impairment and asked him to submit to an unreliable test to see if he crossed a legislatively established magic line. He is free to ask them that they not demand that.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:23:22 am
I get the part about refusing the test (much like not consenting to a search) but when you take a chance - any chance - on drinking and driving, you're playing with fire that may come back to harm you or (more likely) someone else.

But the most egregious aspect of this case was Williams asking for the cops to give him a pass because he had just been drafted. 

This is NOT a story to celebrate. 

While I am glad no one was hurt (or worse), I'd like to see Williams do some PR about not drinking and driving. 

Still absolutely nothing wrong with that. You can not like it, but that does not make it wrong.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

RagingHawgOn

I thought refusing to take a breathalyzer meant a presumption of guilt???  Maybe one of my drunk buddies told me that ha.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:23:22 am
I get the part about refusing the test (much like not consenting to a search) but when you take a chance - any chance - on drinking and driving, you're playing with fire that may come back to harm you or (more likely) someone else.

But the most egregious aspect of this case was Williams asking for the cops to give him a pass because he had just been drafted. 

This is NOT a story to celebrate. 

While I am glad no one was hurt (or worse), I'd like to see Williams do some PR about not drinking and driving.
Why?! He doesn't owe anyone anything (except his lawyer). We hold these guys to higher standards than we hold ourselves and its really not fair. At the end of the day they are normal people just like any of us. They aren't politicians or CEO's. They're just guys that play football on TV
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 10:03:04 am
I disagree emphatically with this. 

There is no excuse for drinking and driving - none. And that is ONE standard for all. 

...and yet sometimes people disappoint us. They lie, steal, cheat, and yes, even drink & drive.  No one is perfect. Compassion is a gift.

hawganatic

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on June 09, 2017, 09:38:34 am
I thought refusing to take a breathalyzer meant a presumption of guilt???  Maybe one of my drunk buddies told me that ha.

When you get your driver's license and drive on public roads,  you agree to consent (whether most people know it or not).  If you get pulled over and refuse the breathalyzer they are suppose to charge you with failure to consent, which is about the same level as a DUI.  Doesn't look like they charged him with the failure to consent.

At least this is how it was in the early 90s when I had a DUI "matter."  I don't really keep up with the laws so I don't know what has changed.

hawganatic

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on June 09, 2017, 09:59:30 am
Why?! He doesn't owe anyone anything (except his lawyer). We hold these guys to higher standards than we hold ourselves and its really not fair. At the end of the day they are normal people just like any of us. They aren't politicians or CEO's. They're just guys that play football on TV

Higher standard than us?  How often do you see a DUI charge beat?  Do you think any normal guy off the street would have beat the charge?

Wildhog

Quote from: hawganatic on June 09, 2017, 10:34:40 am
Higher standard than us?  How often do you see a DUI charge beat?  Do you think any normal guy off the street would have beat the charge?

I've seen it several times from people that refused to blow.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

cosmodrum

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 10:37:34 am
Or could likely afford it.  That's why I'd like to know how much Williams had to spend in his defense. 

Makes that $6 tall boy real expensive.  Don't chance it - don't drink and drive.  Someone may pay a heavy price...

Damn, when did a 40 get up to $6?
Go away, batin'

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 09:10:00 am
In the end, I suspect we will have to agree to disagree but let me ask you this. 

If Williams plays for Texas or Ole Miss, would you feel the same way?

My opinion is based on law, not personality

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 10:03:04 am
I disagree emphatically with this. 

There is no excuse for drinking and driving - none. And that is ONE standard for all.
You disagree with these guys being held to a higher standard than us?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I honestly wouldn't have minded if he DID get charged with a DUI, my argument was with someone thinking that he needed to PR about drinking and driving. THAT is the double standard. If I get drunk and cause a wreck am I expected to start a PR campaign? Absolutely not. These are athletes not politicians

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:00:18 pm
I think I may have actually underestimated that price......I try not to order beer when dining out these days unless its on some sort of special. 

You don't ask the waiter for an Olde English when dining out?
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:09:27 pm
Not given the prices restaurants charge these days.....ouch. 
There are times when I do enjoy an adult beverage when dining out, but fortunately for me the wife doesn't drink so she gets to drive. 

Edit: I have never tried an Olde English - is this an oversight on my part or just fortunate?

It was a joke.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:29:13 pm
Sorry I missed it.  Am I to assume that 40 oz is slang for Olde English?

Nah, just a cheap 40 oz malt liquor.  Nevermind, lol.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 09, 2017, 12:28:22 pm
The manner in which the lead to this story was written is what caught my attention.  It reads as if the author is celebrating the fact that Williams prevailed in a court case where he (Williams) admitted to drinking and driving.  Let me be clear about one point I made earlier - it is NOT the fact that the legal system played out as it did that I think is reprehensible. 

Williams' drinking and driving put himself and others at risk.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying an adult beverage or two with a meal but if you're going to drink, DO NOT DRIVE. 

Williams asked for favorable treatment because he had just been drafted. 

In considering this A WIN, what does that say about NWA.com?  It's a GREAT DAY when an athlete prevails in a DUI case? 

All of that is reprehensible.   

Williams exercising his legal rights is not on that list.
Drinking and driving is bad, im sure we can all agree on that. That being said, Jonathan Williams was one of OUR guys and I will support him in everything he does because of that. This is something he should've done, but I have to hope that he takes it as a lesson learned instead of wishing he'd been charged. I try to see the best in people and hope for the best for them.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on June 09, 2017, 09:38:34 am

It's not supposed to but in many (if not most) district courts you are presumed guilty as soon as charged and you should just decide whether you want to spend the money and appeal to circuit or just take the hit. Unless you hire somebody, like John Collins, that will have the ability to get a district judge to actually weigh evidence.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawganatic on June 09, 2017, 10:30:30 am
When you get your driver's license and drive on public roads,  you agree to consent (whether most people know it or not).  If you get pulled over and refuse the breathalyzer they are suppose to charge you with failure to consent, which is about the same level as a DUI.  Doesn't look like they charged him with the failure to consent.

At least this is how it was in the early 90s when I had a DUI "matter."  I don't really keep up with the laws so I don't know what has changed.

The biggest change is that refusal is now a criminal violation rather than being subject to a civil penalty.

KlubhouseKonnected

On those facts, with a lawyer that actually knows how to try this type of case? Yep. People don't realize that presenting a competent DWI/DUI defense will often invoke some pretty specialized preparation. There is a lot of science or "science" and research behind any conviction where the person is not objectively wasted.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 09, 2017, 01:32:31 am
Not that any of that matters, really. They had no credible evidence of impairment and asked him to submit to an unreliable test to see if he crossed a legislatively established magic line. He is free to ask them that they not demand that.
^^^^^^has had a DUI. Lol

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 10:36:29 am
I've seen it several times from people that refused to blow.

I've seen it many times with people who did provide a BAC "blow" sample. If you blow and happen to be over the legislatively determined point of "impairment" it makes mainting your innocence much more difficult. But those tests are not infallible and even under optimal maintenance and conditions have inherent ranges of deviation

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2017, 01:36:30 pm
^^^^^^has had a DUI. Lol

Trials. They are actually pretty fun trials if the defendant was not a stone cold drunk or someone who talked themselves right into conviction

KlubhouseKonnected

June 09, 2017, 01:45:59 pm #30 Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:00:38 am by KlubhouseKonnected
The manner in which the lead to this story was written is what caught my attention.  It reads as if the author is celebrating the fact that Williams prevailed in a court case where he (Williams) admitted to drinking and driving.  Let me be clear about one point I made earlier - it is NOT the fact that the legal system played out as it did that I think is reprehensible. 

Williams' drinking and driving put himself and others at risk.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying an adult beverage or two with a meal but if you're going to drink, DO NOT DRIVE. 

In considering this A WIN, what does that say about NWA.com?  It's a GREAT DAY when an athlete prevails in a DUI case? 

Drinking and driving is not illegal. Drunk driving is illegal. You could argue that drinking at all and driving should be illegal, and I would agree with you, but that would not change the fact that JWill did not admit to doing anything illegal and our court system has conclusively stated that he did not. Why would it be wrong for someone to be happy about that?

Polecat

is this real life? Lordy
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

theFlyingHog

zebradynasty

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on June 09, 2017, 01:45:59 pm
Drinking and driving is not illegal. Drunk driving is illegal. You could argue that drinking at all and driving should be illegal, and I would agree with you, but that would not change the fact that JWill did not admit to doing anything illegal and our court system has conclusively stated that he did not. Why would it Bering for someone to be happy about that?

I thought Jonnie Cochran was dead? :o ;D ;D

zebradynasty

I didn't think anyone still believed that athletes are NOT held to a higher standard than the general public! Those days are long gone!

PorkSoda

Quote from: Wildhog on June 09, 2017, 12:36:35 pm
Nah, just a cheap 40 oz malt liquor.  Nevermind, lol.
I thought it was funny.  "what vintage of malt liquor do you prefer with your escargot?"
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

cosmodrum

All I know is my first 40 was olde English, ie 8 Ball or OE.

Gangsta type ish from a 15 year old in Skerwood.
Go away, batin'

cosmodrum

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 09, 2017, 03:49:14 pm
I thought it was funny.  "what vintage of malt liquor do you prefer with your escargot?"

1985 Crooked Eyes
Go away, batin'

PorkRinds

I'm celebrating it. He fought the law and he won. So be it. I'm glad a former hog was found not guilty and does not have a DUI on his record. Him saying "I just got drafted sonplease give me a break" is no different than a guy saying "I just got off work and had a long day so do me a favor and let me go" or "my wife divorced me and I had a terrible day so let me go".  Everyone tries to beg their way out of the back of a cop car. Get off your high horse.

jkstock04

This may as well get moved to politics. Every opinion on this thread is less than surprising.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pork Twain

I am so excited another Hog was irresponsible, put the lives of others at risk and got off.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

casken

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 11, 2017, 11:59:24 am
I'm celebrating it. He fought the law and he won. So be it. I'm glad a former hog was found not guilty and does not have a DUI on his record. Him saying "I just got drafted sonplease give me a break" is no different than a guy saying "I just got off work and had a long day so do me a favor and let me go" or "my wife divorced me and I had a terrible day so let me go".  Everyone tries to beg their way out of the back of a cop car. Get off your high horse.

and "if" he chooses to do it again because there is penalty, or someone follows his example...a kid perhaps and loses his or her life...or harms someone else? Great day? I wonder who is on a high horse? The one who thinks they're above the law ( a very good one that is there to keep us safe) or one who thinks they are not responsible to obey it?

Ever work or be involved investigating a DWI fatality? I have more than a time or two. One quite recently. It was like a reel from a horror movie.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

PorkRinds

Quote from: casken on June 11, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
and "if" he chooses to do it again because there is penalty, or someone follows his example...a kid perhaps and loses his or her life...or harms someone else? Great day? I wonder who is on a high horse? The one who thinks they're above the law ( a very good one that is there to keep us safe) or one who thinks they are not responsible to obey it?

Ever work or be involved investigating a DWI fatality? I have more than a time or two. One quite recently. It was like a reel from a horror movie.

We all have our opinions, officer.  He was not drunk driving according to the law that you are supposed to uphold. He had his day in court and proved he was not guilty. If you have an issue with people doing so, find another profession.

Pork Twain

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 11, 2017, 01:18:28 pm
At least one person with the name of Pork gets it. 

Two weekends ago, two incoming freshmen at Virginia Tech, where my daughter is a Soph, were struck by an impaired driver.  One died and one has a long road to recovery.  I am sure there is someone out there telling everyone how great a guy he is.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

PorkRinds

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 11, 2017, 01:48:32 pm
Two weekends ago, two incoming freshmen at Virginia Tech, where my daughter is a Soph, were struck by an impaired driver.  One died and one has a long road to recovery.  I am sure there is someone out there telling everyone how great a guy he is.

I'm not condoning drunk driving. But Jwill wasn't drunk driving. I'm a fan of people being able to use the court system to prove themselves innocent of the charges. It's especially nice when it's a razorback that was nothing but classy and hard working when he was here. That has little to do with the nunber of people that tragically die from drunk driving accidents.

casken

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 11, 2017, 01:47:31 pm
We all have our opinions, officer.  He was not drunk driving according to the law that you are supposed to uphold. He had his day in court and proved he was not guilty. If you have an issue with people doing so, find another profession.

High horse...lol...wow! Seems you like to ride that pony.

Being found "not guilty" in a DWI case has little to do with whether one is drunk or not. You are out of your area of expertise. When convenience is valued over life and safety I would say you are on the wrong side of the argument here..
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

casken

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 11, 2017, 02:13:04 pm
I'm not condoning drunk driving. But Jwill wasn't drunk driving. I'm a fan of people being able to use the court system to prove themselves innocent of the charges. It's especially nice when it's a razorback that was nothing but classy and hard working when he was here. That has little to do with the nunber of people that tragically die from drunk driving accidents.

Are you familiar with the details of the case? Curious, I would like to see them. If he "truly" wasn't driving drunk then I am on your side in this case. Yet, typically, the cases are such a pain anymore most officers I know would rather leave them alone if there is any doubt.

PorkSoda

Quote from: casken on June 11, 2017, 01:41:48 pm
The one who thinks they're above the law ( a very good one that is there to keep us safe) or one who thinks they are not responsible to obey it?

just curious, how many of these fatalities are by people with .08 vs people with .20+

"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

casken

Quote from: PorkSoda on June 11, 2017, 09:23:32 pm
just curious, how many of these fatalities are by people with .08 vs people with .20+

To be honest with you I have no idea. The presumptive level is set by the powers that be. There are wide ranging differences in the way levels affect people. There have been ten times that many (non fatality accidents) in my career that didn't result in a loss of life...often by the grace of God...but surely could have. A family of four was hit head on by drunk driver. Totaled an Escalade and Tahoe. No idea how everyone walked away from that. Was years ago. I think she was .11 or so. I arrested a guy once that blew .37. He was a great conversationalist and although his driving was bad if you'd seen him walking at the mall you would never have know save the odor of brewery.

I don't normally process them any more but those stand out in my mind.

Still, I have not seen anyone at .08 or above that wasn't in some way impaired. Not "snockered" but impaired in some way, sometimes small. Some are goofy drunk at that. Most aren't. Stakes on the road are quite high and affect more than just one person. I think erring on the side of caution is prudent.

PorkSoda

Quote from: casken on June 11, 2017, 10:16:53 pm
To be honest with you I have no idea. The presumptive level is set by the powers that be. There are wide ranging differences in the way levels affect people. There have been ten times that many (non fatality accidents) in my career that didn't result in a loss of life...often by the grace of God...but surely could have. A family of four was hit head on by drunk driver. Totaled an Escalade and Tahoe. No idea how everyone walked away from that. Was years ago. I think she was .11 or so. I arrested a guy once that blew .37. He was a great conversationalist and although his driving was bad if you'd seen him walking at the mall you would never have know save the odor of brewery.

I don't normally process them any more but those stand out in my mind.

Still, I have not seen anyone at .08 or above that wasn't in some way impaired. Not "snockered" but impaired in some way, sometimes small. Some are goofy drunk at that. Most aren't. Stakes on the road are quite high and affect more than just one person. I think erring on the side of caution is prudent.
right on, with such variances in how BAL affects people, you would think police would stick with field tests to determine impairment.  especially with pot being legal in some states now.