Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kickers😰😰

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, April 14, 2017, 06:24:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

snoop hawgy hawg

We hear about how good the offense should be this year, and we hear about the new defense being installed, but I can't say that I have heard one single word about the kickers yet.....that scares the hell out of me.

Thoughts??

MultipleScoreGasms

What I have been hearing on local talk radio is "no standouts."  Our special teams, kick coverage and FG especially, have been significant contributors to our "lack of success" in the CBB era.  I hope there are some surprises here, but I'm not expecting any.

snoop hawgy hawg

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 14, 2017, 06:33:41 am
What I have been hearing on local talk radio is "no standouts."  Our special teams, kick coverage and FG especially, have been significant contributors to our "lack of success" in the CBB era.  I hope there are some surprises here, but I'm not expecting any.
is it too late to bring in another kicker from a juco, or maybe even offer a late scholly? To a high school player? A kicker doesn't need to learn a play book, if he can kick you just plug and play.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

The kickers were perfect in Saturdays scrimmage. Someone made one from 40+, cant remember who it was though
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on April 14, 2017, 07:15:33 am
The kickers were perfect in Saturdays scrimmage. Someone made one from 40+, cant remember who it was though

This, all three were perfect. Not sure if that is normal for scrimmage but can't be a bad thing. Definitely the kicking game will be very important as always. Will miss our rock star punter as well.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

ricepig

Hedlund, they were 4/4 with the longest being 46 yards.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on April 14, 2017, 06:24:59 am
We hear about how good the offense should be this year, and we hear about the new defense being installed, but I can't say that I have heard one single word about the kickers yet.....that scares the hell out of me.

Thoughts??
pay attention. I think there was a post that included coaches comments that Cole is 100 % in scrimmages
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Next1_04

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 14, 2017, 06:33:41 am
"lack of success" in the CBB era.

Hocker spoiled us with the FG kicking, we got lucky with having a local boy staying home. Other than that the FG unit hasn't been very strong that i can remember. Bielema era or not.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Next1_04 on April 14, 2017, 09:29:56 am

Hocker spoiled us with the FG kicking, we got lucky with having a local boy staying home. Other than that the FG unit hasn't been very strong that i can remember. Bielema era or not.

Traditionally Arkansas has had very good kickers, much better than average. Just hasn't happened during CBB era

HognitiveDissonance

Thoughts??
It's the same thing every year. No one talks about the kickers, when it decides about 2-3 games a year. EVERY YEAR.
I'll never understand it.
Instead, everyone wants to talk about tackles, WRs, backup QB, new assistant coaches, etc etc. Anything and everything except kicking.

I started a thread last year on same subject. Wasn't confident in Hedlund. Guess what happened? He lost his job to McFain, and that move should have happened earlier. Now we're seemingly back to Hedlund.

HognitiveDissonance

And we heard this last year, too. Kickers were doing fine in scrimmages.
Then the games begin and things changed.
Not saying that will happen again....but that's exactly what has happened in the past.
But this kinda fits into my thought process about practices and scrimmages. They're not meaningless, but the only true tale is when the lights come on.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 14, 2017, 11:44:51 am
It's the same thing every year. No one talks about the kickers, when it decides about 2-3 games a year. EVERY YEAR.
Instead, everyone wants to talk about tackles, WRs, backup QB, new assistant coaches, etc etc. Anything and everything except kicking.

I started a thread last year on same subject. Wasn't confident in Hedlund. Guess what happened? He lost his job to McFain, and that move should have happened earlier. Now we're seemingly back to Hedlund.
Did you forget who the kicker was in the bowl game? Hedlund missed 2 kicks last year. Blake Johnson boomed punts in his limited opportunities, I think the kicking game will be good to above average.
I looked it up and the 2 of them missed 4 kicks, 3 from over 40, pretty solid performance.

ricepig

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on April 14, 2017, 11:44:51 am

And Hedlund  won the job back at the end of the year, so??

longpig

Quote from: snoop hawgy hawg on April 14, 2017, 06:52:50 am
is it too late to bring in another kicker from a juco, or maybe even offer a late scholly? To a high school player? A kicker doesn't need to learn a play book, if he can kick you just plug and play.

Does that ever happen?
Don't be scared, be smart.

Tejano Jawg

Man, I've almost given up on the idea of having a truly elite kicker. In my high school and college years, the Hogs had one great kicker after another. Many of them All-Americans—Little, Lahay, Trainor.

Now I just want one who's consistent and can hit a chip shot when called on.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

bennyl08

Thoughts??

You are scared because you haven't been keeping up with practice reports?
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

theFlyingHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 14, 2017, 12:37:53 pm
It's sunny out but I haven't checked the weather so I'm scared there may be a tornado two blocks from my house!

HamSammich

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 14, 2017, 12:37:53 pm

Hes scared because he should be.... and doesn't buy the spring BS any longer.

bennyl08

Quote from: HamSammich on April 14, 2017, 05:48:53 pm
Hes scared because he should be.... and doesn't buy the spring BS any longer.

He said he is scared because he hasn't heard anything. Not that he doesn't believe what he has heard. However, since plenty of words have been spoken by the coaches about the kicking game, that he hasn't heard means he hasn't been listening. In this instance, hasn't heard anything is logically equivalent to not listening to the coach's interviews.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

HogPhilosophy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 14, 2017, 12:28:24 pm
Man, I've almost given up on the idea of having a truly elite kicker. In my high school and college years, the Hogs had one great kicker after another. Many of them All-Americans—Little, Lahay, Trainor.

Ummm... Hocker??

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: HogPhilosophy on April 14, 2017, 07:19:42 pm
Ummm... Hocker??

I was just talking about the old days. Yeah, Hocker was outstanding.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

nchogg

Let coach B take care of it and me I will just relax, drink a beer, pat a pretty little girl on the butt and think about football later. Now that's a plan.  :razorback:

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 15, 2017, 11:06:05 am
I was just talking about the old days. Yeah, Hocker was outstanding.
Yes, Hocker was the last guy who you had confidence that he would make the kick for 40 yards in---and actually stood a good shot from 40-50. Even nailed a few 50+.

The point to this thread is twofold 1) the kicking game is perennially overlooked for some strange reason 2) there isn't much confidence of a reliable kicker now. It's a show-me world and Hedlund hasn't shown to be reliable in games. We're not talking perfection...even Hocker although great career had a subpar 2012(when the entire program tanked, too). But it's about inspiring confidence. One of those things that you know it when you feel it.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Had another good day kicking. Everyone was perfect except hedlund, his only miss was a 38 yarder from the right hash near the end of the scrimmagw
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

April 15, 2017, 02:41:52 pm #25 Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 02:56:13 pm by ricepig
Sounds like we may need a punter, Johnson sent home for Easter, will find out his fate on Monday. He hurt himself in off field activities.

Dominicanhog

Hedlund is battled tested, good and bad.. he's improved, changed.. improved again.. he'll be ready and give us 3 good years... 

Johnson could be a beast..  depth overall should improve the coverage teams and JC looked decent/safe with the PR... hopefully, we're solid if nothing else.. as another poster said.. special teams have not been special in CBB era..

NotSoFastMyFriend

Dionysos25

We should get this guy. #1 kicker in the country
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

AlmaHog2011

I don't care who the kickers are this year. But Beilema has way too much trouble finding kickers!

It shouldn't be this hard to find kickers or to block for FGs. It just shouldn't.. Shows a poorly coached special teams.

tophawg19

Hedlund was # 1 and all the experts raving about him . Blake was highly rated as well . what you can't tell is heart and head . kickers have been known to be head cases and we have had several of those
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Ex-Trumpet

With all the soccer that's being played in NWA I don't understand the difficulty in getting a quality kicker and punter--every year.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

nchogg

You would have to admit that Coach B got spoiled by Hocker. He has had some good punters. I would like to see a solid KO, FG and Punt kicker. I hope to see a KO kicker that will bury it in the end zone on a regular basis.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on April 14, 2017, 12:28:24 pm

I agree we used to have great ones all the time.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tbhogfan

It's time for Cole and Blake to live up to their potential.
Go Hogs!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 18, 2017, 09:05:19 am
It's time for Cole and Blake to live up to their potential.

Amen !!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.