Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

POLL: SHOULD Mike be fired if he misses the NCAA?

Started by The_Iceman, February 03, 2018, 04:47:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Mediocre Mike be fired if he misses the NCAA tournament?

Yes
408 (71.2%)
No
118 (20.6%)
Frito Pie
47 (8.2%)

Total Members Voted: 569

1highhog

hobhog

golfinpig

He's been given 7 long years and yet we are still in the bottom tier of the conference and will be for as long as he is here. Other schools in our conference have spent the money and upgraded their coaching and are leaving us behind.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ParkerSchnabel

If he doesn't make the NCAA this year he needs to go. But I'm pretty sure he'll make it. LSU has a really good point. We have always struggled with teams that have good points. Bc our system depends on turning people over. To make matters worse LSU has some length and the rebounding advantage adds to making this matchup bad for us.

But we clearly had some guys give up over and over defensively during this game. That part ticks me off. If I was coaching this team there would be a few guys running until they puked next practice. Seniors or not.

Peter Porker

Quote from: 1highhog on February 03, 2018, 08:40:47 pm
It was our new AD not Long that gave Anderson the extension.

False. Where did you get that?
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

bkjbearcat

I think MA gets fired this year. Yurachek is looking for his first big hire. His first stamp on the Arkansas athletic program. Getting rid of MA and getting HIS guy would be that. Let's be honest, Morris was all but hired when he was hired. While they might be joined now, Morris wasn't Yurachek hire.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hobhog on February 03, 2018, 06:04:33 pm
So don't try? Just accept being an also ran.? Frank Broyles would fire you.....and it would be deserved.
Thats not what I said.  My point was more in line with we havent hired well.  Additionally, I am all for waiting to see what our season looks like when its all said and done.  In the meantime I will support the team and coach cause theres still alot of ball to be played.  I think Frank would agree...

Qbackinman

Mike's a nice guy, great recruiter, but he's coached about 4 years too long. This team fits the same pattern of his past teams.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Qbackinman on February 03, 2018, 10:14:02 pm
Mike's a nice guy, great recruiter, but he's coached about 4 years too long. This team fits the same pattern of his past teams.

Really?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hobhog

hobhog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on February 03, 2018, 10:11:31 pm
Thats not what I said.  My point was more in line with we havent hired well.  Additionally, I am all for waiting to see what our season looks like when its all said and done.  In the meantime I will support the team and coach cause theres still alot of ball to be played.  I think Frank would agree...

No. Frank would have pulled trigger long ago.....

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: hobhog on February 03, 2018, 10:34:29 pm
No. Frank would have pulled trigger long ago.....
If you say so, but if CMA gets to the tourney, you still feel the same?

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

BroyledNutts

Should he? Yes ... Will he? No ...

Something other than the program will have to go room temperature for Mike to be fired, and that's not happening any time soon, it would appear.

It also appears that he's on track to squeak in this year, barring a complete melt down, so the whole question seems moot.

hobhog

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on February 03, 2018, 10:46:36 pm

If he makes it he stays. Always have sad that. But....doubtful

mckinneyhog5

Have to wait and see how the year plays out but I really don't see any improvement over the last 7 years and have zero expectations going forward. Razorback B-Ball is just meh anymore.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on February 03, 2018, 08:40:47 pm
It was our new AD not Long that gave Anderson the extension.

Wrong, Yurachek had nothing to do with it.

"Anderson signed the new agreement Nov. 22. Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz signed it on Nov. 30 and UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt signed it on Dec. 1. Thursday was the Board of Trustee's first regularly scheduled meeting since the contract was signed."

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/27/ua-trustees-agree-to-anderson-extension/
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

The real Hogules

Quote from: HogBreath on February 03, 2018, 07:37:46 pm
Mike will get it fixed.

Yes, but isn't that the entire argument for/against retaining Anderson and his staff? Those wanting to retain Mike Anderson say "Mike will get it fixed", while those in the fire Mike Anderson camp say "If Mike Anderson could have fixed the problem(s) we wouldn't still be talking about fixing the problem(s) in year seven."
I WAS a huge Mike Anderson fan, but without changes to his coaching staff I think that it's time for a change in leadership.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HogBreath

Quote from: hawgball40 on February 03, 2018, 04:54:39 pm
the people who voted no should be forced to explain their selves.
Because he's NolAnderson, that's why.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Qbackinman on February 03, 2018, 10:14:02 pm

Mike is NOT a great recruiter. Will Wade from LSU is a GREAT recruiter. When has Mike ever done this:

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 04, 2018, 06:44:29 am
Mike is NOT a great recruiter. Will Wade from LSU is a GREAT recruiter. When has Mike ever done this:

Just like Bruce Pearl

Hollywood_HOGan45

Section B

Quote from: HogBreath on February 03, 2018, 07:37:46 pm
Mike will get it fixed.

Temporarily maybe.  Like when we shoot 60%. But not permanently.  He's not capable.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

rljjr

Quote from: HogBeliever625 on February 03, 2018, 05:06:39 pm
Let's reserve judgement until the end of the year

I can look at the trend and tell you how it's going to work out. If you'll notice, the more games he coaches the worse his winning percentage. We're currently 15-8, which is .652 and that is almost right spot on with his career of .656.

I know statistics don't tell the whole story, especially the color about why. But over time they reveal who you are as a coach, and to expect different results is just lunacy.

Overall      523   343   180   .656               
UAB              130   89   41   .685               
Missouri      168   111   57   .661            
Arkansas      225   143   82   .636   

hobhog

20% approval rating. Not sure who the 20% is but it doesn't matter.

Surely they hear the rumblings up on the hill.

oldman1015

Sad that being top 64 is good enough every so often is good enough.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 07:09:20 am
Just like Bruce Pearl

Some HC do whatever takes to get great players to their school. Others do the minimum and look dumbfounded when said player goes to KY or Miss ST. So sick of MA looking dumbfounded.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: rljjr on February 04, 2018, 08:35:45 am

I can look at the trend and tell you how it's going to work out. If you'll notice, the more games he coaches the worse his winning percentage. We're currently 15-8, which is .652 and that is almost right spot on with his career of .656.

I know statistics don't tell the whole story, especially the color about why. But over time they reveal who you are as a coach, and to expect different results is just lunacy.

Overall      523   343   180   .656               
UAB              130   89   41   .685               
Missouri      168   111   57   .661            
Arkansas      225   143   82   .636

A 22-12 coach - good enough for some fans and many other programs.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hamARchy in the USA

The NCAA tourney is irrelevant unless the program has a legit shot of winning it or it's early in a new coach's program rebuild and thus demonstrates the program is on the way up.

As we knew when he was hired, MA doesn't have what it takes to built a championship program ... at any level.

MA should be fired.

And his buyout should be taken from Jeff Long's.   >:(

Dark Helmet Hog

One more year, then it's time to get off the pot.

1highhog

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 03, 2018, 09:45:07 pm
False. Where did you get that?

It just happened last month, where did you get it that Long extended it?

1highhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 04, 2018, 02:51:02 am
Wrong, Yurachek had nothing to do with it.

"Anderson signed the new agreement Nov. 22. Arkansas Chancellor Joseph Steinmetz signed it on Nov. 30 and UA System President Donald R. Bobbitt signed it on Dec. 1. Thursday was the Board of Trustee's first regularly scheduled meeting since the contract was signed."

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/27/ua-trustees-agree-to-anderson-extension/

Hmmm, seems funny then that Mike Irwin and team on the Pig Trail plus other news outlets reported just last month, January, that Mike was just given a 2 year extension.  Why would they just now report old news??

Sivad

Quote from: HogBreath on February 04, 2018, 04:49:18 am
Because he's NolAnderson, that's why.
The only reason he was hired; the only reason he is still here.

1highhog

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 09:30:16 am
Hmmm, seems funny then that Mike Irwin and team on the Pig Trail plus other news outlets reported just last month, January, that Mike was just given a 2 year extension.  Why would they just now report old news??

I'm not going to flat out call someone a liar or anything, I'm just saying what I heard on the news and the Pig Trail, which was reported on in January that Mike was receiving the 2 year extension.   That's all I know.  It could have been that they were just reporting old news, that's just not what "I" got from it.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 09:30:16 am

Why don't you read the article? The deal was done and signed before Yurachek came on board. The board of trustees met and gave final approval in their January meeting. Yurachek had nothing to do with it. The deal was set in motion last April.

You would know this if you read the article.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

BigBrandonAllenFan

LZH

Quote from: oldman1015 on February 04, 2018, 08:49:24 am
Sad that being top 64 is good enough every so often is good enough.

Yes brother, yes it is.....

Remember when we dropped everything on the golf course to go inside to watch the Hogs?

Now?.......eh.

Razorpigg

You people kill me with these "polls". Thankfully, it isn't a possibility. Coach Anderson will be here for the foreseeable future.

swineology

7 years of Mike is enough.

Throw the $$$$$$ at Marshall

elksnort

Quote from: Breems on February 03, 2018, 06:10:59 pm
I'm curious if you guys think Billy Kennedy should be fired if A&M misses the tournament this year.
Why don't you answer the question?
I will answer it for you. If the Razorbacks do not make the NCAA tournament yes he should be fired

redneckfriend

I've said it before and it always falls on deaf ears. Mike Anderson's real value is the healing of the damage done to the program by the destructive feud between Richardson and Broyles (and both bear a big part of the blame since both put their own egos ahead of the program). Anderson should be kept a year or two more (in two years he'll be 60- a reasonable age for a coach to retire) and given a golden parachute, all with his agreement-including the agreement not to take another job.

After that the healing will be complete and there is a chance Arkansas can entice a real coach-not a Heath or a Pelphrey. Firing Anderson undoes the good that has been done to the program's tarnished reputation. The fan base is far too concerned with the short term and far too dismissive of the need to get the basketball program on solid ground again.

The 90s are far in the rear view mirror and will not likely ever come again but this program ought to be a perennial in the tournament-for that it needs as good a coach as can be found willing to come. People shouldn't forget that after Richardson was fired respected coaches like Mark Few made statements to the effect that no self respecting coach should consider Arkansas (and until Mike none did).

okrazorback

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on February 03, 2018, 10:46:36 pm

Is that all we need is to get to the tourney. I would like for us to win some games after we get to the tourney.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: okrazorback on February 04, 2018, 11:49:04 am
Is that all we need is to get to the tourney. I would like for us to win some games after we get to the tourney.

They have won one every time he has gotten into it.  He should be fired if he doesn't get in this year though for the fact that he has so many seniors on this team.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Arkygrocer

Time for a change no matter what! 7 years of disappointments is MORE than enough.

devildog

Quote from: jboler96 on February 03, 2018, 06:53:29 pm
No bc we are finally getting out of the cellar. Hoping the hogs get to the tournament. Projected to still be in even with 8-10 record.

We are firmly in the cellar of the SEC and we've scuffled and lost to the teams down there with us. Right now we are as bad as it gets in the whole 14 team conference. With Seniors all over the squad we have underachieved with gusto.

HammusArkansus

Yep!  2 out of 7 ain't good enough for that level of pay.  How long has Pearl been coaching at Auburn?

1highhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on February 04, 2018, 10:05:14 am

Why don't you read the article? The deal was done and signed before Yurachek came on board. The board of trustees met and gave final approval in their January meeting. Yurachek had nothing to do with it. The deal was set in motion last April.

You would know this if you read the article.

I haven't seen the article is why I haven't read it.  Like I said earlier, I could be mistaken, I just stated what was said on those programs I listed.  They never did say that the deal had been made earlier in the year, go back and reread my post.  I don't mind saying I'm wrong when I am.  Wouldn't it be something if all psters thought that way,,,,,